Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh man, I am super excited for this LP. I was the biggest goddamned nerd for FFXI, I played it for probably four years and sunk so much of my life into that game that I still have fond memories of playing it, half a decade afterwards. I never got into FFXIV, I couldn't keep up with an MMO anymore, but I've always wondered how it compared to it's predecessor. (To be fair, I almost bought it at one point, but then a friend told me they didn't have Blue Mage in it and I decided against it.)

Without spoiling anything, can anyone give kind of a basic comparison between the two? Does FFXIV have any storylines as incredible as Chains of Promathia? Any areas as buttfrustrating as Valkurm Dunes? Any weapon skills as awesome as Ground Strike? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I liked absolute virtue until they found out that players had actually discovered a method of beating him!? And so they made that, as they called it "bug", not work anymore. And beefed him up considerably. And gave him a move he could use basically whenever he felt like it that healed all of his health instantly. And released a confusing video that gave no information, and claimed it was the key to defeating him.

That's one of the reasons I stopped playing FFXI. That guy was a complete and utter shitcamel.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mazed posted:

My favorite example being that game's version of the Ninja class, which was released as a half-finished DPS/debuffer sort of thing but had access to an extremely broken blink spell, and so it became a popular tank...never mind the fact that each and every cast of that spell cost cripplingly expensive reagents, and to even get the spell in the first place you had to complete a rep grind that was almost invisible to detect progress in. Still, ninja tanks were popular since it virtually eliminated the need for a healer, which was otherwise needed in every group and you needed a group to do drat near anything and :suicide:

Oh, don't forget about how you could assign a subjob in FFXI, and subbing ninja got you access to the first level of that spell! So once you hit a certain point in endgame, you literally had to have ninja, had to have the spell, had to have the reagents, and were forced to use it with basically every job. Tank? Sub Ninja. DPS? Sub Ninja. Healer? Oh, you goddamned better sub Ninja or you're out of the linkshell.

:v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mazed posted:

or Thief just so I could backstab with that beast of a weapon. :black101:

No game experience will ever top the first time I tried a Warrior/Thief with a fully-leveled, pimped-out greataxe. Trick attack on top of it just to piss off the real thief and make him burn some shadows. :v:

Great, now I really miss playing that expensive, badly-balanced, sperglord-infested, grindy-as-hell game. :negative:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Acquaintance can also be defined as a person's experiences. Like how you can acquaint yourself with things. She's saying she likes to hear dem dick stories. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sunning posted:

You had to write macros to bind your action bar.

Are you sure this wasn't intentional? FFXI had the same thing, hand-typed macros to set up your action bar.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Is "Answers" the "Distant Worlds" of FFXIV?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

You know, I've got to say that I really like the design of the Lalafell in this game. They seem much more... mature, than the Tarutaru from ffxi. All tarutaru basically looked like little kids, which made some of the scenes with Shantotto hilarious, but also was kind of a limiting design. In this game, they're obviously still the tiny people, but their design actually has some character now, and there's a much clearer resemblance with the other races of Eorzea. Compare the two:

I mean, yeah, better graphics are better graphics, but even taking away the difference in art quality, still a huge change in design, and I think it works out for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

CrashScreen posted:

You'll also notice that there's a dotted outline on Savage Blade. This is what it looks like when you have triggered the conditions for the combo effect. In this instance, it means our last attack was Fast Blade and that Savage Blade will now hit for 200 potency.

Use Fast Blade, and Savage Blade powers up, so when your cooldown cools down, you can unleash the hell out of that poo poo.

I'm guessing if you disengage from combat, you'll lose your combo?

• Locked thread