Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

This filing might be the best thing I'll read this week: http://www.oregon.gov/docs/082214_filing.pdf

quote:

Oracle America, Inc. ("Oracle") fraudulently induced the State of Oregon (the "State") and the Oregon Health Insurance Exchange Corporation ("Cover Oregon") to enter into contracts for the purchase of hundreds of millions of dollars of Oracle products and services that failed to perform as promised. Oracle then repeatedly breached those contracts by failing to deliver on its obligations, overcharging for poorly trained Oracle personnel to provide incompetent work, hiding from the State the true extent of Oracle's shoddy performance, continuing to promise what it could not deliver, and wilfully refusing to honor its warranty to fix its errors without charge. Over the last three years, Oracle has presented the State and Cover Oregon with some $240,280,008 in false claims under those contracts. Oracle’s conduct amounts to a pattern of racketeering activity that has cost the State and Cover Oregon hundreds of millions of dollars. Accordingly, plaintiff Ellen Rosenblum, the Attorney General for the State of Oregon, along with the State and Cover Oregon, brings this lawsuit to recover losses to the State and Cover Oregon caused by Oracle’s fraud, racketeering, false claims, and broken contracts.

quote:

Oracle lied to the State about the “Oracle Solution.” Oracle lied when it said the “Oracle Solution” could meet both of the State’s needs with Oracle products that worked “out-of-the-box.” Oracle lied when it said its products were “flexible,” “integrated,” worked “easily” with other programs, required little customization and could be set up quickly. Oracle lied when it claimed it had “the most comprehensive and secure solution with regards to the total functionality necessary for Oregon.”

It's 100+ pages of lawyers making GBS threads on Oracle and every word of it is entirely true.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

Oracle lied when it said its products were “flexible,” “integrated,” worked “easily” with other programs

loooolll

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

quote:

Not only were Oracle’s claims lies, Oracle’s work was abysmal. One developer experienced in Oracle products called Oracle’s programming “atrocious.” He added that “they broke every single best practice that Oracle themselves have defined. It is one of the worst assessments I have performed * * *.” The same developer wrote to Oracle, “You are Oracle people, working on an Oracle hardware platform, with Oracle technology products, on an Oracle solution. * * * Oracle should be delivering these environments and products as a solution, like they actually understood the products and owned the solution which has not been the case by a long shot.” According to an independent quality assessment conducted in October 2013, Oracle’s “processes do not meet industry standards. Impact analysis, code review, coding standards and proper parallel development techniques are ad hoc and inconsistently applied or understood.” Another assessment stated simply that “Oracle’s performance is clearly lacking.” A former Oracle employee was more direct saying Oracle’s products were seemingly configured “by a kindergartner.”

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

loooolll

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
This is why you always go w/ Microsoft.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

pram posted:

loooolll

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Shaggar posted:

This is why you always go w/ Microsoft.

laughing at this post... i know this is a comedy forum but sometimes u guys are hilarious

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Visual GNUdio posted:

This filing might be the best thing I'll read this week: http://www.oregon.gov/docs/082214_filing.pdf

It's 100+ pages of lawyers making GBS threads on Oracle and every word of it is entirely true.

i'm the eight dollars in false claims

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oracle's response has been a full on counterattack, in classic Larry style. to be fair, if Oregon had looked up any of oracle's previous government work, they would have found out why California doesn't do business with them anymore.

http://news.cnet.com/Calif.-not-alone-in-Oracle-criticism/2100-1017_3-923066.html

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
theres good money in robbing the government

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted:

loooolll

this

also you can't trust IBM to do poo poo like this either; they got hired to redo our welfare payment/tracking system in my state and hosed it up so bad the state fired and sued them successfully

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fabricated posted:

also you can't trust IBM to do poo poo like this either; they got hired to redo our welfare payment/tracking system in my state and hosed it up so bad the state fired and sued them successfully

good for the state; it's past time companies had to actually make good on their bullshit promises

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ahahahahahaha

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
My favorite part of the complaint is when it detailed Oracle demanding an additional $70M for "upgrades" to their system that didn't work yet in order to make it work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Oracle is really good and this is definitely Oregon's gently caress-up. This is why government healthcare doesn't work.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Citizen Tayne posted:

Oracle is really good and this is definitely Oregon's gently caress-up. This is why government healthcare doesn't work.

2/10 try again

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

We're workin with sales dudes from Microsoft on some cloud bullshit. Every drat 'feature' we need (DLP, encryption, AD sync, sharepoint stuff) is 'that should be in place by the end of Q4'.

We (Sr. Mgmt) had meetings with them, then compared notes and basically all the sales guys were telling every one of us the features we wanted (or complained about missing) were 'coming by the end of Q4'. This was during Q2. We're still negotiating and now they've shifted to Q2 2014. Lol don't trust a sales guy fuckin ever.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Lol don't trust a sales guy fuckin ever.

it's really fun to see to go to one of those sales pitch/luncheon type things and have one guy asking the sales people really tough questions and basically raking them over the coals when it increasingly becomes clear the salespeople are full of poo poo about how good their product is

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
how come all the big companies that have decided to become solutions/consulting firms aren't very good at it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

univbee posted:

it's really fun to see to go to one of those sales pitch/luncheon type things and have one guy asking the sales people really tough questions and basically raking them over the coals when it increasingly becomes clear the salespeople are full of poo poo about how good their product is

this except to the ceo of your own company

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
of course you really want to make sure you get something that works and in a timely manner, but if sales people can't come close to holding their promise with a contract, they should be scared

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Something similar happened at the college I work at. We got a new CIO and he pushed the school to plunk down for Oracles Identity Management System. School spent millions on it. The CIO bailed on the school right before it went live. Not surprisingly, this dude did the same thing at the school he was at right before ours. Long story short, the IDM system loving blows. It's always having problems. Everyone from the IT admins down to the janitors (like the actual clean poo poo off the walls janitors) hate it. gently caress you Oracle.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
OIM isnt that bad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
are these types of projects ever delivered on time and on budget?

i personally have never heard of or witnessed one that was

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

are these types of projects ever delivered on time and on budget?

i personally have never heard of or witnessed one that was

consulting firms are like the general contractors of the business world. if you don't know exactly how to manage them they will always go over time and budget. problem is nobody knows how to manage software projects.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

focal ischemia posted:

how come all the big companies that have decided to become solutions/consulting firms aren't very good at it?

its simple - "all those other guys suck. give us your money instead." it works until someone realizes you suck too, and as long as everyone sucks at it, the 'other guys all suck' line will always resonate.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

its like a big vortex of shitiness and you just gotta ride the wave until it drags you under

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

maniacdevnull posted:

its like a big vortex of shitiness and you just gotta ride the wave until it drags you under

my posting career

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

pram posted:

OIM isnt that bad

Maybe it's our people then. It's literally been nothing but problems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to be fair to oracle the government dudes were randomly making live changes in production

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I used to work for a small consulting firm. When we got a new client and I went to their office, I'd stop right outside for a minute, take a second, and think to myself "well, I can't wait to ruin a relationship with these people."

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lol i know at least a dozen people who worked on that project and almost worked on it myself. it was a total shitshow and they had rooms full of consultants browsing facebook and billing like 200 an hour for it. lmao forever

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
if my boss hadn't hosed me in the rear end with a hot poker id prob keep my mouth shut but gently caress oracle they're guilty as poo poo and i hope that entire department gets the axe

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i worked for a small consulting company and we usually did ok

most of the stuff i worked on was for non-profits so it was fixed bid and short timelines (<6 months) though

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

resposting the same anecdote for the dozenth time where we paid to fly an oracle tech rep out to meet me to fix poo poo they were already contracted to do and instead they put a sales guy on the plane who evaded me and sold a non-IT VP another few $m of contract additions over golf

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

oracucked

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
idk if anyone remembers my stories of my idiot roommate who somehow landed a consulting gig at oracle without ever writing code or even knowing how to change directories in a *nix but he was put on the project and billed tens of thousands of dollars from the oregon govt

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

loooolll

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
also yeah the oregon gov was just as incompetent and if there's one thing i know about oracle it's that their legal team is really loving good and they cover ALL their bases when getting into a contract so this lawsuit prob won't go well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Necc0 posted:

lol i know at least a dozen people who worked on that project and almost worked on it myself. it was a total shitshow and they had rooms full of consultants browsing facebook and billing like 200 an hour for it. lmao forever

do you work for pdit lol

• Locked thread