Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Kyrie eleison posted:

and posting how much you donate is dick move

oh loving boy would i love to hear your rationale for this one

fire away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It's amazing to me how many people don't actually own buckets.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

fire away

eh i mean donating to charity is supposed to be a selfless act so telling everyone how much you gave to charity defeats the purpose

then again we're people not saints so who gives a gently caress

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Swimming pool challenge for polio

Used needle challenge for AIDS

Poop challenge for cholera

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=141OlQ2eLSQ

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
what's the point of this poo poo?

at least the planking fad rid the world off a some stupid russians.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

mosquito challenge for malaria

tick challenge for lyme disease

flea challenge for bubonic plague

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

fire away

rofl

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

shiksa posted:

eh i mean donating to charity is supposed to be a selfless act so telling everyone how much you gave to charity defeats the purpose

ah okay but dumping ice water on yourself so you dont have to donate money is far more selfless and is totally appropriate to post on the internet, gotcha

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Rambling Robot posted:

what's the point of this poo poo?

at least the planking fad rid the world off a some stupid russians.

this one has killed a brit, who presumably mistook the quarry for tea

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-28925759

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
is it true that ice is really just cold water?

hosed up if true?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I grew up in a household where it was considered rude to brag about charity & you were supposed to give in secret which would result in stupid situations where you wouldn't want to tell your friends where you were Saturday afternoon because telling them you were preparing meals for homeless people was like bragging about it so you would constantly have these mystery gaps in your schedule that you hoped no one noticed but as an adult I realize that letting people know about your charity work encourages them to find ways to engage in charity as well. And certainly using YouTube to promote worthy causes is a valuable tool but there's definitely a point where it can become "Look at this video of ME doing a thing that is an abstract of charity to raise awareness of charity but mostly raise awareness of how charitable I want you to think I am" and I find it very off-putting and I kinda understand why my family is so weird secretive about charity work.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

oh thank god you were just trolling and didnt really believe that

gbs gets me sometimes

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
This guy sums up my thoughts on the ALS challenge
http://youtu.be/la86Dr4Nzpw
Australian hero

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ah okay but dumping ice water on yourself so you dont have to donate money is far more selfless and is totally appropriate to post on the internet, gotcha

no its retarded dumbass i was answering why posting how much money you donate is a little gauche.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

parking lot challenge for alzheimer's

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I grew up in a household where it was considered rude to brag about charity & you were supposed to give in secret which would result in stupid situations where you wouldn't want to tell your friends where you were Saturday afternoon because telling them you were preparing meals for homeless people was like bragging about it so you would constantly have these mystery gaps in your schedule that you hoped no one noticed but as an adult I realize that letting people know about your charity work encourages them to find ways to engage in charity as well. And certainly using YouTube to promote worthy causes is a valuable tool but there's definitely a point where it can become "Look at this video of ME doing a thing that is an abstract of charity to raise awareness of charity but mostly raise awareness of how charitable I want you to think I am" and I find it very off-putting and I kinda understand why my family is so weird secretive about charity work.

i think there's a balance, but as JC said...

When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

oh thank god you were just trolling and didnt really believe that

gbs gets me sometimes

of course i believe it, it's rude to flaunt how much you give to charity because it's basically a show of wealth. obviously mega-millionaire celebrities can donate more than plebes too.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Kyrie eleison posted:

this one has killed a brit, who presumably mistook the quarry for tea

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-28925759

people die, fall, jump or are pushed all the time.

this has probably nothing to do with the ice bucket 'challenge'.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

taser challenge for epilepsy

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Kyrie eleison posted:

no the point is to both dump a bucket on your head and donate. and posting how much you donate is dick move

i also just wanna point out that this is, in fact, not the point of the challenge as stated by the organization who started it

the point is that you get nominated for it, then either dump the bucket on yourself or forfeit in the form of a charitable donation

i think charity is always good as long as the money goes to the right place, but this particular charity is good because it shows who is a bad person as well as benefiting people who need money for medical bills/research

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Bragging about how much you donate to charities just comes off as super smug poo poo, sorta like bragging about how green your business is. How about you just do it and dont waste time and energy showing off about it.

And these assholes driving hybrid cars that say HYBRID across the side in huge letters...

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

holy moobs.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

the ice bucket challenge forces people to donate $10 they otherwise wouldn't have, while simultaneously allowing them to feel super smart for having dodged a $100 dollar bullet by posting a funny video that no doubt gets many likes on Facebook, thus making them feel popular.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

his nipples have just given up

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Kyrie eleison posted:

i think there's a balance, but as JC said...

When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.

of course i believe it, it's rude to flaunt how much you give to charity because it's basically a show of wealth. obviously mega-millionaire celebrities can donate more than plebes too.

is there a difference between the obvious caricature you've painted and someone like me posting to facebook with something like "hey friends i have donated 50 dollars to _____, if you can match me it would be awesome!" or do you essentially see them as two identical situations?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
cause it's 95 degrees (Fahrenheit) where I'm at right now and I think having a bucket of icewater dumped on my head wouldn't be the worst thing

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

typing challenge for carpal tunnel

running challenge for shin splints

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Copley Depot posted:

cause it's 95 degrees (Fahrenheit) where I'm at right now and I think having a bucket of icewater dumped on my head wouldn't be the worst thing

yeah as someone who lives in a place that has a summer its even better that this went down when our surroundings were about 90+ degrees every day around here. really made people dodging the donation look like even bigger assholes

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
putting immense social pressure on some "friends" on facebook to perform a certain act of be ostracized by the community at large challenge for bullying

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Mulefisk posted:

his nipples have just given up

once the nipples start shifting from their natural orientation you've reached the point of no return

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

runupon cracker posted:

putting immense social pressure on some "friends" on facebook to perform a certain act of be ostracized by the community at large challenge for bullying

So Bullying Challenge to raise awareness of Teen Suicide?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
cyber bully a friend into donating to help victims of cyber bullying

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

shiksa posted:

then again we're people not saints so who gives a gently caress
so is it only selfless if it doesn't make you feel good about yourself

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It's good that money was raised.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
i dunno why but this whole "its shameful to say how much you donated" thing was definitely not a part of how i was raised. everyone makes contributions according to their resources, no one judges you for not being able to give to charity like your rich neighbor; those are the kind of things my parents taught me. i cant even comprehend how it is a bad thing for a person to say "i gave $___ to charity" and i dont get how some of you guys see that as "being a dick" or socially unacceptable :psyduck:

e: like, our pastor would come forward at the beginning of a sermon sometimes and say "my good friend joe told me about this great charity that helps local underprivileged children and i donated 500 dollars last night. id like every one of you to consider how much you can afford to give because we are all blessed to have homes and support. others in the world could use even one spare dollar if that's all you can give"

and this was seen as an admirable thing, he was a pillar of the community, nobody saw him as smug or judgmental or anything. it just seemed normal to me

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 25, 2014

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The people who benefit the most by the idea of not stating how much you donate to charity are rich people who donate very small amounts of money & people who donate no money.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The people who benefit the most by the idea of not stating how much you donate to charity are rich people who donate very small amounts of money & people who donate no money.

i reckon that about nails the raccoon-tail to the barn door, aint it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it sucks because its just another reason for people to stick their ugly mug on facebook but you cant call anyone out on it because they just play the "its for charity!" defense. its basically the perfect narcissistic manouver which is probably why its so popular

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

honestly i have to give the guy who came up with it a lot of credit, it really expertly taps into the booming "look at me" generation of facebook and instagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

rusty nail challenge for tetanus

bulging can challenge for botulism

• Locked thread