Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

An XCOM Let’s Play? What’s this one bring to the table that’s different?

This one will be a narrative Let’s Play, in the vein of GuavaMoment’s classic X-Com and X-Com Apocalypse Let’s Plays. No one's tried to do that yet with THIS game, and it gives me so much to work with!

Sweet! Let me sign up—

Hold your horses. Unlike classic X-Coms, the modern XCOM (note the lack of hyphen) is not meant to be a meatgrinder where you chew through a hundred soldiers. If I’m lucky I’ll lose and use much, much less than that. We’ll be doing things a little bit differently here. I’ll have a few surprises in store that I wouldn’t quite be able to pull off with an entirely-submitted cast of goons. That said, feel free to have submissions to the thread if you like--I love 'em!

What special options will you be using?

It’ll be on Classic Difficulty, because I like a challenge without being kicked in the crotch repeatedly, and the two Second Wave options that slightly randomize soldier’s stats. That’s it. No mods (mods are finicky on my computer regarding XCOM anyway…sorry, no Long War!)

Spoiler Policy

Try not to mention anything that I haven’t already covered in the thread. I’m also going to be tying in The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, and for those of you who played THAT, don’t spoil it either, please. THANKS. That means no spoilers about plot missions, DLC missions or EXALT.

I want more XCOM LPs!
The Definitive XCOM Commanders Guide! by the incomparable Guava Moment and Jade Star!

So: let the adventure of a lifetime begin!

Updates:

Part 1. Good Luck Commander!
Part 2. Alien Hair Dye
Part 3. Something "Outside" Your Experience
Part 4. Four-Star Badass
Part 5. Sergeant-Class and Lower Orientation
Part 6. Murder Street!
Part 7. March Mutation Madness!
Part 8. I Need A Secondary Heart, Because My First One Broke
Part 9. Portent
Part 10. Stupid Nicknames
Part 11. Seekers in the Rain
Part 12. TERROR!
Part 13. Friends in Low Places
Part 14. Interrogation Bonanza!
Part 15. April Mutations And Nightmares
Part 16. Enemy Within!
Part 17. Audience Participation Time
Part 18. Who You Are Under The Mimetic Skin
Part 19. Site Recon, AKA Chryssalid HELL!
Part 20. Confounding Light AKA Awesome Old Man Team-Up
Part 21. GANGPLANK!!! ("You Sunk My Battleship!")
Part 22. Family Ties
Part 23. The Faceplate of the Enemy
Part 24. Alien Base Assault
Part 25. Battle Within The Mind!
Part 26. Alien Base Assault WITH MY MIND!
Part 27. Spoils of War
Part 28. Many New Faces
Part 29. Exalt, ATTACK!
Part 30. Base Under Attack!
Part 31. Base Defense 1
Part 32. Base Defense 2
Part 33. It hurts so bad!
Part 34. Everyone will be Upgraded!
Part 35. Some Dam Mission (Deluge)
Part 36. "France Gets hosed" Week
Part 37. The Path of Zinchenko
Part 38. EARTH-FILTH!!!
Part 39. Fahrenheit-451
Part 40. MIND BULLETS!!!
Part 41. My Hate For You Is Like A Truck (Furies)
Part 42. Chopper Joe strikes!
Part 43. GET PSYCHED
Part 44. The Power of Pink
Part 45. Rookies to the Fore
Part 46. Goodbye, EXALT!
Part 47. No Going Back
Part 48. poo poo Gets Real.
Part 49. The Whole Truth
Part 50. And Nothing But The Truth
Part 51. Calm before the storm
Part 52. Barge of the Damned
Part 53. Humanity's Sunset
Part 54. The Final Terror
Part 55. The Final Upgrades
Part 56. Temple Ship Assault
Part 57. Humanity's Hope...
Part 58. EPILOGUE: Document from Another Dimension

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Reserved in case

inflatablefish posted:

quote:

I warn you. The world’s best sniper needs no rifle… only a pool cue.

Oh God Zinchenko AN ALIEN GRENADE IS NOT A loving POOL BALL! FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 13, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 1: Good luck, Commander!

Two days ago, there was a “meteor strike” at a suburban town in Germany.

It wasn’t a meteor, though. It was a cluster of these strange mechanical pods. When approached, the pods began emitting green sticky tendrils.

Within seconds, everyone inside the area was trapped in a sticky green cocoon. Everyone in town was trapped this way, alive and preserved, ready for later kidnapping.

Based on video footage at the time, the abductors were not human at all, but aliens.

The Council of Nations activated the XCOM Project, the agreed-upon multinational task force dedicated to combating alien threats. We sent Delta Squad in, the best of the best. They found a lot of dead bodies, and responded to a distress call.

And then you got the initial strike squad all killed with your lousy direction. So much for “the best of the best.”

Hey!

Not to go all Monday-morning Quarterback on you, Bradford, but when you see a creepy guy holding a grenade and a shotgun standing in shadows saying “Heeeelp meeeeeeee” over and over, ya might wanna consider it’s a trap. Seriously. Have you ever seen the movie Predators?

Uh…I don’t see how a nature documentary would have helped. And I got one of the squad out!

Who is now suffering severe mental scarring and won’t stop talking about how he saw the corpse of some other guy blown open from the inside. He’s no good to us.

Councilman, who is this guy?

Your new boss, Bradford.

While your service to the Council of Nations is beyond reproach, Central Officer Bradford, we feel that your…talents…are best applied to administrative duties. The Commander has…experience…that you lack.

I have to take orders from some guy I can’t even see who’s got a hand-drawn facial portrait? *sigh* Fine…

No lip. I’ve been killing aliens longer than you’ve been alive, Bradford.

This isn’t the first time aliens have reached Earth? I wasn’t advised of this.

Consider it your first point of intelligence, Dr. Vahlen. I’ll drip-feed you more information as we get clearance to do so. For now, I’ve got a team to manage. They’re hitting Invasion Site B and I plan on getting ALL of them out of there alive.

OPERATION FLYING HEAT: COMMENCE

Okay, Calon Allen of America, Freida Wright of Germany, Ivan Zinchenko of Russia and Monique Leroy of Canada, you’re up. Fan out and keep your heads down. We know the aliens are only a few meters away from your position.

These “abduction pods” don’t go off a second time, do they? I don’t want to be turned into a green statue like these people! Or if I do I at least want to be in a better pose than “Crawling in terror.”

Intercepted Audo: “KSSSSSSKKSKS!”

poo poo, they’re here! Move up to the cars and use ‘em as cover!

They're casting a spell! Something glowy from one’s head to the other!

What? Magic? There's no such thing as magic. Isn't it some kind of psychic--

BULLSHIT. Psychic powers do not and have never existed and there is no scientific basis for them. Larry Niven just wrote psychics into all his hard SF stories because even he wanted space wizards. Unless you can get a scientist or twelve out here to write a whole bunch of math that I can understand about which of the four fundamental forces of nature account for shooting glowy poo poo out of your head, it's loving magic and aliens are evil sorcerers.

Morons! Argue about this later! Which one do we shoot first?

Always kill the buffer first. ALWAYS. That’s the one giving glowy poo poo to the other one.

Moving in closer… poo poo! Almost took my head off!

I can see three more in the building to the north!

Now eat this, you bastards! Grenade out!

Nice! Killing the buffer killed the buffee! Hey, what’s this glowy orange thing over here?

Try to secure it, if you can. We don’t know much about it except that the aliens program them with self-destruct timers if humans get close. Whatever it is, it’s something aliens don’t want us to have, which means we DO want to have it. Fortunately, it seems the aliens don’t want to lose it, either, there’s a failsafe that shuts off the self-destruct. Three keystrokes and it’s safe.

Bah, we only winged the last one by the cars. This is a terrible shooting angle.

Well, we know they die to grenades pretty good—why stop now?

No, please…their technology is impossible to recover when you blow them up!

Their guns self-destruct on user death anyway, right?

But we can’t pick up the PIECES when you scatter them all over the place!

Just frag ‘em, troops. It’s fine. We’ll get more than enough fragments one way or another.

Say goodnight, sucker!

Can’t see ‘em, but I can see more of that glowy magic stuff coming out of their heads—I’m gonna frag and pray!

Oh, so that’s where you were hiding. Thanks for blowing the wall away, Wright. Now, you die, exposed little naked grey man!

I got the orange stuff! Gah, some of it got on me… and I think there’s more over there! Someone else get it, I don’t want that poo poo on me!

Last one’s down! Okay, I’ll get the other orange thing. Let’s drag all their carcasses into the storage chamber on the Skyranger and call it a day!

Excellent work, everyone! As your reward, I’ll let you pick out what weapons you think you’ll be most suited for…and what color armor you want too. I get really sick of identical-looking soldiers, so I encourage—

SON OF A BITCH!

AAAHHH!

What?

Alien goo turned my hair blue!!! Why wasn’t I using a Hazmat Suit?!

Oh, man…if Mom saw me like this she would never stop laughing.

Fascinating! If this…goo…can do this just from a mild contact with human skin and hair, I need to know what else it can do!

Pfft. Hair. Whatever. For my weapons, I choose the light machine gun and the disposable rocket launcher.

Both, at once? You want a sidearm to go with that, or…?

No need! If I can handle two twin teenage sons, I can handle two big boys like these!

Well, I’m picking the black armor and custom handgun before anyone else calls dibs. …and this sniper rifle too, I guess, but I prefer pistols! I’m the fastest gun in Russia! Haha!

These are the saviors of the human race? *sigh*

To Be Continued!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 20, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I never give my soldiers atrocious paintjobs until they've earned their callsign. That way, I can see who's essential and who isn't by whether or not they stepped off the set of Tron.

MECs always get hideous pink camo though. There is no question about this.

This is reasonable, but for screenshot purposes it'll be easier for readers to keep track of who's who when we start right out the gate with atrocious paintjobs. I'd have had them in the starting mission if you were allowed to customize before it!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Bwahahahaha. The first mission takes place in my hometown (Well, first mission Bradford isn't cocking up).

I'm so sorry! How long did it take to get the green webbing out of your hair?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vahlen is more like, "dude, give me something to work with so I can at least justify my paycheck!" I can't fault her for that too much.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

I hereby nominate Peter Quill, junker who inadvertently gets recruited into the biggest bundle of idiots besides the Nova Corps.

XCOM: just a bunch of a-holes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM: Part 2: Alien Hair Dye

Commander’s Log: Leroy and Allen seem to be otherwise physically unharmed, but for safety’s sake we’re putting them on medical leave until Dr. Vahlen and her team can determine what, exactly, the mutagenic orange goo is. Two others will take their place on the strike team. Also, as a precautionary measure, I am activating nametags on people’s popup portraits…It’ll be hard to keep track of who’s who if everyone gets all mutated.

It’s not a bad shade, really…I’ve got a few civvies that would coordinate well with this. You, uh, you look pretty okay too.
Yeah, well, I just hope that we’re dealing with the kind of sorcery that doesn’t corrupt you from the inside until you’re a husk.
Are you still on that, Allen?!
I’m telling you…besides, sufficiently advanced science is the same as magic anyway.

Commander, our engineering team has finished constructing the next level down for the elevator, and the new power generator.
Excellent! For starters we’re going to need some space for our satellite uplink cluster, as soon as we have the staff to manage it.

We found a lot of hollow spaces down here, commander…anything you’re not telling me?

Well, you’ll probably figure it out sooner or later…this base is recycled from an old base from 50 years ago. After it was abandoned they blasted a lot of the chambers shut. So there’s a few hollow spaces that we can probably repurpose for our needs easily.

Commander, we’re receiving reports of alien attacks! Three cities have been hit with the abduction pods, simultaneously! Moscow in Russia, Mendoza in Argentina, and Mumbai in India!
Crap.

XCOM is under-funded as is, and our “only one team out at a time” doctrine is very stringent. It’s the only way to make absolutely sure of no contamination or alien infiltrators.

I know, I know. *sigh* We don’t have time to respond to every alien attack in the world. We only have one stealth-equipped Skyranger anyway.

The local governments are capable of responding to these threats with their own soldiers, Commander. However, we fear that there will be…political repercussions… for not being able to respond to this threat in a time of need. Many member nations of the XCOM project have yet to provide their full support…
Yeah, they’re only paying enough to keep the base’s lights on and nothing else.
However, they are each willing to…incentivize… your attention during this matter. Russia is offering 200 Units of funding, immediately, if you eliminate the aliens abducting citizens from Moscow. Argentina is prepared to sign over the contracts of several of their top researchers immediately, and India will provide your base with four of their best engineers if you respond.
drat it…we need all of these things…but right now, more than anything, we need funding. I plan on blowing a lot of cash on upgrading our base and equipment. Tell Moscow we’re on the way.

Right, Cameron Watkins of America and Naomi Bar-lev of Israel, you have the best aim scores of the rest of the rookies, you’re replacing Allen and Leroy for this mission.
Yes, sir!

This is a gas station in Moscow, watch your fire, because those pumps will blow if there’s too many sparks.

No sign of the enemy yet…
So, Naomi… You’re Israeli, huh? I—

Watkins, concentrate. Zin, you’re our sniper, climb that pipe and get up on the roof for a better angle. Wright, circle to the right and get ready to provide supporting fire with your heavy weapons. …though with your aim scores I don’t expect you to hit anything…

Goo found! Not it!
Not it!
Not it!
Aaaaah, you assholes! Fine. It better not turn me purple.

Aliens by the gas pumps! I’ve got a bad angle, Wright, can you flank them?
I’ll try!

No need, friends!

I can explode them both with one grenade right from here!
No! Wait! I—

Hahahahaha, the best sniper needs no rifle!
Commander, please! Let me put it to you in terms your soldiers will understand: I can’t build you laser weapons if you keep blowing up their equipment!
We’ll get to that later, I promise, Dr. Vahlen.

Gaaaarrrrggshhhit, I was careful but some of it got on me anyway! Commander, we need to find out a better way of disarming their self-destructs!

Vahlen’s working on it, Bar-lev. Sorry. We can’t even afford more than one grenade per soldier at the moment. Everyone, push through past the convenience store and into the fueling area. Watch your fire.

I can hear them moving! They are somewhere behind these semi trucks! Also some goo. Not it.
Not it!
Not it.
RRRRRRRGH you COCKSUCKERS! Not fair, I already got the last one!
I will go for it! Moms are tough!

drat! Two more by the goo!

Make that four!

They’re opening fire on me!

And on me! AAAAAAHH! THAT HURTS.

Heh heh heh heh. AHAHAHAHAHAH! Commander, permission to blow these bitches away with my rocket launcher!
Denied! You’ll hit the goo.
THANK you.
Watkins, move up and blow away the two by the truck near you with a grenade.
COMMANDER!
I need to make sure all the rookies get some kills under their belt, doctor. Sorry.

poo poo! There’s one behind me! Bad idea, bad idea! I’m backing off!

gently caress it, I’m taking the shot anyway!
Wright! Your cover is on fire! Back off!
AHAHAHAAHAHAHAH! DIEEEEEE!

Wright blew his cover away! Prepare to face the wrath of the fastest pistol in the Baltic!

poo poo!

Gaauauuuugghhh! gggg…fffff…nnnnnn…
Ahh, hell! Wright’s down! Making a dash for it!

Hufff…huff…I’m right behind the thing, gimme a second to shoot it—
No time! Frag out!
*butts head against microphone repeatedly*

Only one left! Running to a better position!

Haha! You cannot hit me!

…or can you…aaaaaaaiigghh, I’m bleeding out here! Medic!
We can stabilize him in the Skyranger, but first we need to get that last alien!
Already got it.

You what?! How—
Now I will get more alien goo on me, as agreed. *sigh* You drag Zin to the ship. I’ll bring Wright. …(crazy woman, what did you think would happen?)

Good work, everyone. Well, mostly good work, everyone…*sigh* If only Wright had realized she was standing on a powder keg… Bar-Lev! You’re promoted. Watkins, you’re NOT promoted. No kills, no pay upgrade.
Aww, man…
Zinchenko will survive, but he’s in bad shape…we’ll need him in observation for a while.

Excellent work, Commander, though we are…saddened…by your casualty.
Oh…oh, MY.

This is…weird. Hair is one thing, but I don’t even recognize myself in the mirror now!
That’s a good look for you, though!
Hah. I was more thinking how useful this would be to potential spies. A technology that can alter someone’s face and race in a matter of hours. If only we could control it.
I’ve almost got it! Just one more day!

“From the desk of Squaddie Frieda Wright” posted:

Dear Max and Felix,

I hope you are obeying your aunt while your mother is out saving the world. I’ve got a very big machine gun and rocket launcher, and I won’t let you play with them if she tells me you’ve been slacking off at school!

I’ve made many friends from around the world here. What we’re doing is secret, but I have a feeling it won’t be secret for much longer. There are some very good people who are depending on me, and some very bad “people” who I plan on turning into black smears before the month is over.

I’m heading out to another mission now. I’ll write you again when I get back.

Love,

Mom

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 17, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

(are the character portrait names distracting or good?)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, yeah, and by the way: Bar-Lev has an aim score of 80, as a ROOKIE. If I can keep her alive she is going to be amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, I'll outline it in the next update, but Zinchenko's aim skill is horrible for a squaddie sniper, just above 60 Aim. He really does need to rely on grenades to get by!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One third honest mistake, one third role-playing, one third me realizing I didn't need to worry about keeping a heavy with 55 aim around. Though everyone gets an xp bonus if there are no casualties.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What meld does...will be covered in the very next update (probably sometime tomorrow) as that's when we finish our meld research!

It does a LOT of cool stuff. But more that just unlocking new options for you, its mere existence on the map is a wonderful carrot to dangle in front of players to encourage them to not camp all the time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Can we get 3 more posts to make it to a new page? Working on update now but I don't want to imageflood.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 3: Something “Outside” Your Experience

So, let’s see how the soldier ants are doing on the ant farm today…

Hey, treadmill buddy, how’s it going?
Who are—Allen? CAROL? What the hell?! You’re Asian!
Vahlen needed one more test subject for the thing that changed Bar-Lev’s skin. I figured, “What the hell. It’ll either kill me, or give me superpowers.” Actually, Dr. Vahlen pretty much outright said it might give me superpowers…maybe next time… But she said that from now on there shouldn’t be any more goo accidents, so my sacrifice of melanin was not in vain!
Well, it’s not a bad look for you.
Why do you keep saying that!?
I’m an out-of-work fashion designer who enlisted. What’s your story?
Third-generation comic book store owner. Digital’s killing us, so I needed the cash…

Hmm, what’s Bar-Lev up to back there?

quote:

Colonel M,

The mission statement for XCOM is, surprisingly, genuine. Aliens are real and kidnapping humans, though not from our region of the world, yet. They are armed with strange energy weapons that have yet to be recovered intact, but there are other developments.

I have been exposed to some strange substance that has completely altered my genetic makeup. I’m black now, as in AFRICAN black. (We will need a way for me to prove my identity to you when next we meet). This was merely an accidental byproduct of the true purpose of the substance, which I have determined is what the aliens use to genetically modify or cybernetically enhance themselves. This one side-effect would be immeasurably useful in the intelligence community, for obvious reasons, and there’s far more to come.

Dr. Vahlen and Dr. Shen are outlining plans for a super-soldier program utilizing this substance and I plan on volunteering as soon as I see it is safe. If all else fails, I can bring the technology back to our country inside my own body. However, I urge you to pass the message along to our nation’s leaders that they need to become full members of the XCOM project, to benefit from all the fruits of this organization’s labor. We cannot afford to be left behind.

Agent “Naomi Bar-Lev”

(So, she’s a spy, huh? Heh. If she tries to leave she’s in for a surprise, but I’ll let her send this message, maybe it’ll get one more nation to fund us.)

Bottom-line it for me, docs: what is this stuff?
This ”Meld,” as we call it, is filled with nanomachines and proteins. It’s…well…amazing. Their structure is—
That’s not bottom-lining it for me. How. Can. We. Use. It?

I could use it to grow an artificial nervous system, which would allow me to create cyborgs of incredible power!
OR we could use it to create super-mutants with the same powers as the aliens!
I’d prefer cyborgs, myself…
Super-mutants!
Cyborgs!
ENOUGH! We’ll build a lab for each, okay? Jesus Christ, you people…and by the way, Vahlen, you’re not cleared for the files from the 1960s. Yet. I’ll let you know more later. Now, what kind of stuff do you specifically think you’ll be able to turn our people into?

Just for starters, I could give our soldiers regenerating health and better vision. The more alien bodies I inspect, the more useful traits I’d be able to splice.

I wouldn’t just turn our volunteers into a normal human-sized cyborg…I’d replace most of their body and allow them to interface with a huge MEC suit larger than a standing polar bear, armed with a vulcan cannon and various other armaments of our choice.

These all sound too good to pass up. We have some money, I’ll order the construction of both facilities.

We’ll need more power soon, but we’re digging towards a thermal vent that’ll help us out with power. Meanwhile, Dr. Vahlen, start researching those alien bodies!

Commander! Our “special satellite” over America has detected an alien craft, just as you said it would!
Launch interceptors and down it!

Who programmed this interface? This isn’t to scale!
What, you don’t like it? Game interfaces that are always to scale are so boring and tedious, so I improved it.
Actually, this is a lot less eyestrain-inducing than “tiny dot on radar…”

It’s down!
And still in one piece. Get the strike crew to the Skyranger, we’re raiding THEM for a change!

Hit it, troops!

It’s somewhere up ahead, I can see a burning log…
Keep your ears open. We may hear them before we see them.
Shouldn’t you say, “Stay frosty?” They always say “stay frosty” …
No they don't.

Contact! Two on the right!

Two on the left! Aaah!
Looks like they’re just as surprised to see us, they’re scrambling for cover.

You’re not kill-stealing me today, Bar-Lev! Take this!

Too far for grenades…let this hit, please…

X-ray down! Allen, Leroy, it’s up to you!

Too far away, but I can flank ‘em if I rush him! I’ve been doing sprints!

Huff-huff—goo found, not it, now DIE!

X-ray down, but the other one’s right on top of me!

Can’t get to the last one, Allen, but I’ll give you some cover! Try not to breathe in, okay?

I’m good! …huh, this smoke tastes like mint?

Angle’s bad…frag out! Sorry, Dr. Vahlen!
It’s fine, you shot the other three conventionally…

All currently visible aliens dead, move up to the saucer!
It’s not very saucer-y…more like…pancake-y…

Got something up there! Floating…energy crystal?

Holy poo poo! The crystal summoned armor around itself! It’s a summoner!
…I’ve seen instant-construction technology! Alien is now identified by callsign “Outsider!” Make it your priority!
And it’s got a bigger version of the Sectoid weapon! Help!

It’s in heavy cover, but that wall looks weak, I bet I can blast it with a grenade. Frag out!

I got it!

Hey, the armor vanished right after you shot the crystal thing. It is a summoner!
That’s it? Four sectoids and one…outsider? Good job, everyone.
I’ll get the meld…hey, cool, the new disarm technique works! No spray!

Good job, Watkins, you’re promoted! Pick out whatever weapon you want!
Not bad for a failed comp sci major, huh?
Just don’t reprogram any more of our computers without my permission. Now…time to wait and see how long it takes Vahlen to come up with more goodies…

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 10, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Macintosh.

To get Long War to run on XCOM I would have to do a heaping helping of crap and the last time I tried it was a nightmare that ended in failure.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 4: Four-Star Badass

quote:

Dear Diary,

Time for some rack time. Probably will play pool again with Leroy later. She’s a real hustler, but pretty funny.

Finally got promoted to Assault Squaddie today, thank goodness…the little grey guys, the Sectoids, pack a punch with those plasma guns of theirs, but they die pretty easily too. I hope someone figures out a way to take ‘em alive, soon, though…we need access to an unexploded version of their weapons, and it’d be nice to interrogate one to figure out what the hell they want.

Though, on second thought, they don’t even have mouths, do they? How the hell would we interrogate one? Hmm. Maybe interface with their cybernetic implants somehow?

Secondary thoughts: lots of women on this base. Incredible women. Time look up the XCOM manual’s policy on fraternization…

WATKINS! Report back to duty on the double! Emergency mission from the Council!
What?

Commander, time is precious, so we will be…brief. You will be compensated substantially if you are able to save a VIP, General Van Dorn, from being kidnapped by aliens. The attack began fifteen minutes ago and his bodyguards will not able to hold out very long.

You heard the big man, Squaddies. Into the Skyranger!
Glad I didn’t take any sleeping pills…

Hope he can hold out, it’ll take over an hour to get there.
Hold up. XCOM is protecting the earth from aliens. Why don’t we already have the best of the best working for us?
*cough*Bradford*cough*
No, it’s not just that. Look at us. An out-of-work fashionista, a hardcore comic book/fantasy geek and a Computer Science Major drop-out, as soldiers to fight space aliens with superior weaponry? It doesn’t add up.
Keep your mind on the job, please. Also: thank you for implying I am a screw-up like the rest of you. It means a lot to me.
Erp!

I’m the squad leader today. Move forward and check for survivors, especially Van Doorn.

Somebody sure blew the poo poo out of this place. Lots of green plasma scars…stay frosty!
Nobody in real life says “Stay Frosty!” Now move!

*Cough* *gasp* *wheeeze*
A survivor! Can you walk?
*wheeeeeze* *gasp* There’s a man… a man in a suit…
Huh?
The general’s up ahead…watch out for the man in the suit! The Thin Maaaan!
The Tall Man? Like, from Phantasm?
Thin Maaaaan!
Hrrm…

General Van Doorn’s GPS signal is right ahead, in that depression where the highway partly collapsed. Hope he’s not dead.
Just keep an eye open for that Slender Man.
Thin Maaaaan!
THIN Man. Whatever.

AAAAH! THIN MAN!
It’s an alien that looks like a human!
With a loving big gun!
And a really cheap suit! Looks like Action Wada brand!
what?

I told you, I’m a fashion designer, it’s my job to know! Anyway. He’s behind a car door. I’m gonna blast him out!

He’s still up! I’ll back you up!

Thin man down!
Jesus, why weren’t you classified a Sniper, Naomi?
I don’t like camping.

Aaah! He left behind this huge…cloud…of gunky ugly-looking nasty poo poo! How high-pressure was his blood? I don’t want to walk through that, I just cleaned my uniform!
NOBODY walks through it. We’ll just…wait for it to settle or go around.

HEY! What the hell is going on over there? Friendlies?
Yeah, friendlies!
About loving time! I’ve been out of ammo for hours! I had to kill one by beating it to death with my shoes!

Sectoids!
Lost my knife trying to cut a hole where the grey’s mouth oughta be. Fulla filthy yellow poo poo, they have piss for blood.

Nice ’n’ clustered, I’ll take ‘em out with a grenade…
Challenged the big purple gorilla one to an honorable fist match, broke my left hand breaking its face…
Purple gorilla?

Killed two more by turning my car into a battering ram, killed SIX more by lighting its gas tank on fire afterwards…
Dude, shut up! I just killed two more sectoids while you were busy yapping! Get up here!
Throw me a gun! I ain’t done killin’ and there’s more out there!

No can do, General Van Doorn, our guns are encoded so nobody but us can use them. Sorry. Look, just run back up the way we came, we’ll cover you.
Blue hair!? That ain’t loving regulation! What the hell kind of outfit are you from, soldier?!
The kind where accidentally getting permanent blue hair is par for the course!
Oh, you mean the orange goo stuff? Huh, guess you are the right people.
Yes. Please let us do our jobs and get you out of here, sir.
Fine… almost made it to a hundred, though…

Leroy, get up here with the VIP. Everyone else, keep an eye out for anything that moves. If one those sectoids across the chasm pops it head up, I want us to blast it.
Strike-one, there’s some sort of small heat signature heading your way.
Behind you!

AAAH! THIN MAN!
poo poo!
KILL IT!

I think we got him, guys! Stop firing!
Christ, he just dropped out of the loving sky! Can they fly?
Nah, but they can jump good! There’ll probably be a few more of ‘em dropping down outta nowhere as we go. Keep an eye out!

Okay, so, we have to keep a sharp eye going back, and remember there’s still a sectoid or two behind us. Stay frosty.
NOBODY SAYS THAT!

TWO MORE! Open fire!

X-ray down!
I got the other one!
Van Doorn, move up! And stay out of the poison clouds.

Whew. Thanks. Sorry for busting your chops, girls, I get mean in the heat of the moment.
Hey, we’re not all girls!
Whatever.
Circle back and kill any straggler sectoids, team, and then we call it a day.

CRAP! Found one!

I’m staring it right in its eyes.

…you have such pretty eyes…

…yes, master… NO! Get outta my head! DIE! :commissar:

Allen, you okay?
I’m fine, I’m fine… fuckin’ sorcerers…
All aliens dead! Prepare for return trip!

Kids, you saved my life, but your coordination is poo poo! You need a proper officer program. And I’m sending you my best killer to keep you company and straighten you out. MY DAUGHTER!
Your what?!

Congratulations, Allen, you killed four aliens in one mission, that’s worth a promotion. Learn anything out there?
Yessir, I learned to keep my head the hell down!
Perfect! Now, everyone get some rest. Bradford, put our new recruit through orientation.
Of course.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

For the survivor I was gonna go with Hudson from Aliens, but I decided I wanted to throw a little Classic X-Com in there just for fun.

chiasaur11 posted:

Given XCOM's recruiting standards so far, I think someone different might be a better choice.

A former next generation special forces agent, forced to turn to mercenary work after his government turned on him, but he returned home when his nation needed him most. A man alone, his comrades cut down time and again. With the genes of the perfect soldier, and topnotch VR training, he's sure to... ah.

Excuse me a moment. My client needs to take a quick visit to the gentleman's room.

I vote Johnny Sasaki.

I'm not sure I can pass this up!

...I also figured out how to make a pretty good Hulk Hogan lookalike. Heh. It's kind of too bad there's only one body type between men and women, the dudes are all a bit too roided out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I have both special mission packs activated, but somehow I got Van Doorn instead. Too bad, Friends in Low Places would have given me 2 engineers, 2 scientists and more money, AND a sergeant.

Thank you for your kind words!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of overspent this first month, too...drat. I was hoping to show off both types of new soldiers soon but I may need to hold off a tad while I get more essential stuff like the Officer Training Program and Alien Containment built. And attempt to get a satellite uplink and three satellites built by end of next month.

Gonna be really tight.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Shame you can't rebuild that poor heavy. You can make her faster. Stronger. With less rocket.

Yes, quite a shame. Someone else will have to fit the bill. Muahahahahahaha.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 5: Sergeant-Class and Lower Orientation:

Greetings, recruits. By now you should be aware of the fact that aliens are real and are slowly but surely invading our planet. What you do not know is this is not the first time.

The original incarnation of XCOM was a repurposed Cold War bureau of the United States government, intended to mount a resistance against Soviet invaders in case they nuked America and won. This was back when everyone thought stuff like Red Dawn was an inevitability and the human race was wasting an enormous amount of resources on history’s biggest pissing match.

The Soviet invasion never occurred, but instead, the world was paralyzed by the incursion of a different form of invader: aliens we code-named Outsiders. Their real name was “Zudjari” but that doesn’t matter now. The short version is: we won, but the original XCOM was destroyed in the process. Only a handful of people survived, including me. And no, I’m not telling you which one I was.

The Zudjari used an artificial virus —really more like a nanomachine— and infected 95% of the earth’s population with it. It was designed to slowly take over people’s minds, with the final stage turning them into drooling mindless zombies called “Sleepwalkers.” Defeating the Zudjari destroyed their mind control network and cured the disease, leaving almost everyone with memory loss. Today, the outbreak is thought of as a biological weapon that went awry, with both the East and West agreeing on a total ban of all bioweapon use in the future.

If you’re wondering why there’s no physical evidence of previous alien invasions, it’s because when we kicked their asses off our planet, we got rid of all their junk. This was vital. The image you are seeing here is not an alien city. It is a tower that was constructed within a single day on Earth. But all that metal had to come from somewhere.

Zudjari technology drains the resources around it in minutes to accomplish its tasks. Because of this, their home world was completely unsustainable, an industrial wasteland. That’s one of the reasons they were invading. And we Earthlings already have a problem grappling with the concept of “resource conservation.” We would have killed ourselves in five years if we had retained access to this.

Of course, this was also the Cold War, and nobody wanted to look weak during the Cold War, so the liars running our nations decided it would be best for the public to pretend aliens never invaded in the first place. However, we haven’t been completely sticking our heads in the sand since that day. One leftover technology we retained is the device that lets our satellite detect UFOs.

Modern XCOM does not answer to the United States government. It answers to a council of member nations that fund it, but even they are not where XCOM ends. We have staff and soldiers from all nations in our employ. We do not care if you are male, female, or undecided. We do not care if you’re black, white, brown, or minty green. The stakes are too high here for the petty squabbles of nations. Before you leave today, you will swear an oath that the good of the planet comes before your personal, familial, or even national needs. Our world is a tiny island in a vast ocean, and it’s time to grow the hell up.

One final note about fraternization: go for it. Everybody here is from somewhere different on the planet. Morale is important to me, you’re not allowed off the base, and you might learn to care about someone who’s not from your own neighborhood. So I’m all for it. Just use protection and it’s all good.

Yesss!
Hmph. I’m gonna go play cards with Zinchenko.
I don’t even have a social life. Guess that needs to change.

Ah, I see from the pink hair that you’ve been exposed to the Meld already, Sergeant. Looks like that’s how General Van Doorn knew of it. But, uh…why the pink armor?

The blue one gave it to me, she said it would go with my hair. …and I don’t think she was kidding, either…
And “Princess?”
A nepotism joke that got way outta hand when the pink hair struck. Sir, I have a really bad feeling about integrating with this…group. They’re not just undisciplined, they’re weird.
Right. I have something I want you to see, Sergeant.

You’re telling me we should risk the lives of our troops so we can bring one of these things in…alive?
Yes. Without a live specimen, we’ve reached the limits of what we can learn. From my studies, their nervous system is quite similar to ours. A large electrical shock delivered at close range will—
Close range?! And what happens when it doesn’t work? Do you think it’s worth the risk?

I do. We do not know our enemy. How can we hope to stop something we don’t understand? If we can capture one of these creatures alive, we may be able to communicate with it.
And…interrogate it…find out where they’re operating from…
Yes. That possibility outweighs all risks, in my opinion. Though I’m not sure how we could communicate, they don’t even have mouths…
Leave that to me! You just work on a place to store them.

Uh…
Central Officer Bradford is actually quite intelligent, but he’s the end result of 5,000 years of military history refining the ultimate soldier. He’s overspecialized. If we suggested interrogating a human enemy, he wouldn’t have to be walked through it like a child. But now he’s dealing with something he doesn’t really consider people, so it never occurs to him that communication is a possibility.
I see…
If humans were the only enemy Bradford had to deal with, he’d be unstoppable. But we are dealing with things outside the earth, so we need people who think outside the box, literally. People whose capacity for original thought hasn’t been drilled out of them by instructors more interested in obedience than creativity. That’s why the soldiers you’ve met so far have been “eccentric.” Earth will not be saved by people who conform. It’ll be saved by the weirdos.
Well, when you put it like that, sir… Sergeant “Princess” reporting for duty! Heh.

What are your specialties?
I’m trained to coordinate with spotters, like all good snipers, and when it comes to close-range combat I’m deadly with a sidearm. My father’s idea of a gift for a 13-year-old girl is to give her a nine millimeter.
Yeah, that sounds like him. He’s being brought on board, too. Nobody ever really leaves XCOM once they’re aware of it. He’ll be in charge of our officer training school.

Not much to do but wait until our projects are finished…or the aliens attack again…

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 8, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's one steam square I'm excavating in the left-most column, second row down. That's why I have a power generator right next to it and on top of it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just to keep my budget intact, what I'm probably going to have to resort to is a janky-rear end system of putting a second power generator in the top row, second from left, to connect to the two others, build the thermal generator later, then demolish the two power generators in the second column as I see fit to make a square of Satellite Uplinks while building power elsewhere.

I'm leaving a gap to the right of the Gene Lab so I can build a regular research laboratory there, so it'll have a stacking bonus with the gene lab, giving me +30% research speed. The gap to the right and bottom of the Cyborg Factory will be for engineering workshops and a Foundry.

Assuming I get enough funds to get everything I want when I want it...fingers crossed.

How many countries do you think I'll lose before the end, guys? Heh heh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I forget what difficulty you're playing on.

Classic.

I could probably swing this with no losses if I always priortize panic reduction over getting continental bonuses in a timely fashion but I really, REALLY want to get South America as soon as it is feasible to do so. Love having instant interrogations and narratively speaking I have a very, VERY good reason for that. Muahahahahha.

Tomn posted:

Pretty neat how you came up with a narrative way to explain why Bradford was being so thick-headed in that cutscene. That was really one of his absolute derpiest moments - including the tutorial mission.

Heh, thanks. It's fanwank but I try to make it at least GOOD fanwank.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 1, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, what if there was a sniper that didn't even need a rifle? He'd take Snap Shot.

Saaaayyyy....

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM PART 6: Murder Street!

Commander, South Africa has requested a satellite like the prototype we have over America. They’ll pay us a substantial initial fee, along with monthly compensation and the occasional technical staff member.

Great. If only it didn’t take us most of a month and all our money just to build one…good thing we’ll have one ready in a few days. We need that cash immediately.

We have noticed, Commander, that the aliens have studiously avoided any abductions in the United States ever since the first satellite went up. We believe that they know when they are being watched and will not attempt abductions in countries that are covered by XCOM’s satellites. Therefore, the Council of Nations has resolved to pay you an increase in funding for every single nation you are able to protect.

Sheez, they’re being really petty about protecting the earth. Every country has guys who just want to look out for themselves first and foremost, so they won’t throw us money until they know for sure we’ve got them covered.

There will also be… geopolitical effects… for managing to keep entire regions of the world safe.

Africa is a land of many untapped resources, and its waters are vital trade routes. Keeping it safe will stabilize the global economy, magnifying all funding available to you.

Some of the oldest and most respected academies of science and cooperatives of industrial engineers work within the European Union and Russia; the Council will provide your workshops and laboratories with much-needed spare parts for maintenance if you clear their skies.

Asia has some of the most cutting-edge tech sectors in the world, and Australia’s officer corps is one of the most efficient and progressive; they were the first country to allow female submarine officers, for example. Improving your electronics and training your officers will all be much easier with their help.

Ah, and we can’t forget South America! Some of the world’s best biologists spend their entire careers studying Amazon life forms; my own mentor, an exobiologist, is working out of South America. It would take almost no effort at all for her to help us, but first we’d need the local governments’ help to even find her in the jungle.

So much to do, so little time…okay, we’ll try to send our first satellite to South Africa, and then see if we can’t clear the skies over South America entirely. We do need to understand our enemies better.

The Genetics Lab is finished, Commander! We need only spend some money, time, and meld to begin splicing useful traits into our soldiers.
Money is really tight right now, Dr. Vahlen, I just had to sell a bunch of Sectoid bodies on the Gray Market to make ends meet.
I want regenerating health! How does it work? Where do I sit?
You’d need to spend three days soaking in a container filled with meld, during which the nanites would alter your body according to the genetic material attached to the suspension. Your body would partially liquefy, then reform with the new organs.
liquefy!? Have you tested this!? I don’t want to be a meat smoothie!
I have tested it on a couple of chimpanzees, yes.
You own a super-monkey!?

The Cybernetics Lab is also complete.
Who would make the best candidate for becoming a cyborg, Dr. Shen?
The best possible subject would be someone whose coordination has been trained to its limits. Getting used to the new body would require a high learning curve, and I don’t think their aim would get much better once they were converted…
So the best possible candidate would be someone who already has a really high aim score…
…that would be me. *sigh* How much of my body would this procedure replace, Dr. Shen?
Your limbs and many internal organs would be amputated to make way for the new augmentations. Don’t worry, though: I have plans in place that would allow you to do anything with your new body you could do in your current one, even civilian activities or… er… carnal needs.
This sounds…really goddamn extreme. Give me a few weeks to consider volunteering.
No problem, Bar-Lev, we can’t even afford to augment you yet.

Alright, you wannabe saviors of humanity. Welcome to your new Officer Training Program.

Today’s lesson is HAND SIGNALS. That’s a quick, nonverbal way of communicating with your squad so you don’t fumble over instructions like a bunch of dumbasses in the heat of the moment.

Well, sir, the first fruits of my labor are available to you. This is a computerized targeting system that integrates with your weaponry. The only issue with it is, it requires a lot of hardware to be physically worn on the body of the soldier, so it will fill their pockets with miniaturized computer equipment and sensors. This will limit what else they will take into the field.
Ooh, I’ll take one of those! I don’t need grenades. Truth be told, my vision’s gone a little blurry ever since I was exposed to meld…I think I may have inherited the genes of someone with worse eyes…
Great, a sniper who needs glasses…
I don’t need glasses! I just…squint a bit…

Time Passes

Commander, more abductions from around the globe! Simultaneously, again.
We have to go for Japan. Most of Asia’s politicians are still freaking out about our inability to help them from the last time. Plus, this incentive of new engineers looks too good to pass up. Squaddies, move out!

You know, it’s kind of a shame, culturally speaking, that aliens are invading.
Culturally?
Scientific discoveries are great for new forms of scifi, but they’re also really bad for others. When we went to the moon and discovered nothing, well, so long to all the scifi about moon monsters. So on and so forth. And nobody’s going to make any movies about space aliens for the next ten, twenty years. It’ll be “too soon.”
And I’m sure once we have real talking robots, nobody will want to make any more Terminator movies because they’d be considered racist…
Exactly!

The rainstorm’s turning this whole street into a river!
Long, narrow areas are my specialty. Let me get set up and I can try to shoot at anything you guys see. Though I’m not a miracle worker.
Noted. Everyone but Princess, move! Watkins, take point.

AAAH! Help!

This is a bad angle and they’re in hard cover…no promises…

poo poo. I need a better position. There’s no high ground to take here.

I’m popping smoke! Keep your head down, Watkins.

More sectoids over here!
gently caress! I wish you had told me before!

They’re doing the glowy magic thing again! I think it makes the other one tougher or a better shot or something!

They’re shooting at me!

AAAAUUUGH! poo poo! FFFUCK!
How bad is it?
BAD!

loving piece of poo poo aliens almost kill me and make me leak blood all over my uniform! DIE!

Just fragged the other two doing the glowy stuff, but I count two more out there!

Make that FOUR!

AUUUGGGH! HELP!

Got the one that shot ya, Bar-Lev!
Good shot, Princess! I’m fragging the one by the truck to the left!

There’s two more camping up by that meld, nobody can hit ‘em… aaauuugh… what do I do?
Gggg…nnnn… Naomi, move up to the truck. It’s closer to the aliens, but in high cover. I’ll toss a smoke grenade, they’ll never be able to hit you. Try to get in close after that and you can just blast them out with your grenade.
I’ll…try…
I can reach at least one if I sprint over there!

I got one! Last one, Naomi, it’s right in your sights!

So much blood…die!

All…targets…down…*collapse*
Naomi! Ugh…*thump*
You saved me…
Quick! We gotta get them medical attention!

Amazing work, both of you. You’ve more than earned promotions. The doctors say you’ll both pull through, though there’ll be some rather bad scarring…Leroy’s in worse condition than you, I’m afraid.
She saved me…C-commander…I volunteer for the cyborg procedure…
Bar-Lev, are you sure?
S—sure…just get these broken limbs off my body. They’re not doing anyone any good now…

To be continued!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 8, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, starting off in one continent automatically gives you the continental bonus, even if you don't have all the satellites over it yet.

South America is one of my favorites because it saves you SO much research time, and inspecting alien bodies or interrogating them is that much more important in Enemy Within, as you get more goodies for autopsies and research times are longer. But you can cover it with only two satellites. Starting in Africa is also a very popular position. The other main benefit to starting in North America besides the planes is that the United States gives the single largest payout for any country, though.

On the flipside, some people love or do not love Future Combat or Expert Knowledge, but they are useful as well, and since both of those regions require four whole satellites to cover, getting the continent bonus for them by starting as them is a lot easier.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Troops with regenerating health will also recover in a third of the time. Combine that with Rapid Recovery from the Officer Training School and they're outta the hospital in no time.

Drawing a little art to go with the next update.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, just for discussion: What's your favorite character class?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 7: March Mutation Madness!!!

Intercepted Communications

quote:

Hell, dad. I think I really do need glasses…or maybe gene-modded vision. I used to be able to shoot the wings off a fly, now I need to settle for the fly’s center of mass.

The people here are pretty nice, though some are annoying. The only other sniper-rated person they have here is an insane Russian who claims he is so good he has never needed to use his rifle in combat once so far. He also says that he kills squirrels with a golf club. That’s…yeah.

One more thing: This place is a chance to start fresh. Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to set me up with someone.

Thanks in advance,

Hilda

quote:

Got a new card game to play with Leroy and Zinchenko in the hospital. Cribbage. It’s a game that was invented by drunk sailors, but it’s surprisingly tactical. Everyone gets dealt four cards, plus extras depending on the number of players. Then everyone gives up the extras to the dealer, who gets a second hand. You choose what to give yourself, and what to give away.

…kind of like all of XCOM’s strategic problems lately…

quote:

Colonel M,

For the sake of the mission, I have already lost my skin color, my hair color, my face, and my real name. Now I’m going to lose almost all of my flesh.

When everything physical is stripped away, the only thing left is who you are inside. And I think…I think who I am inside…is someone who’s very ashamed about lying to someone who saved her life.

Agent “Naomi Bar-Lev”

On to business!

The satellite has been launched over South Africa, ready to detect UFOs. They’ve wired their payment.
Good! Now let’s make sure we have an interceptor over there to shoot down any UFOs we detect.

Three days? We could just fly it over there in a matter of hours! Are you sending it parcel post?
Jet fuel is really expensive…

Okay, gene buddy, now that we finally have the funds for it, let’s get mutated!
What the hell. You only live once. We are going to be asleep for these three days, right?
Of course.

** THREE DAYS PASS! **

Naomi Bar-Lev, can you hear me? The operation is complete. How do you feel?

I feel…everything! This is amazing. I thought these limbs would be dead steel, but I feel everything on their surface!
Of course. The artificial nervous system allows you to interface completely with these limbs. Your whole body is like a giant touch pad now, and we’ve got gloves and things to give you a softer touch. These limbs look crude and are unsuited for combat, but give me a few years and I’ll be able to create a cyborg body for you that’s indistinguishable from human flesh. Then being a cyborg will be all benefit and no drawback.

In the meantime, this will be your weapon.

I…I could punch through a wall with this! I control this entire thing like it’s my own body!
There’s more on the way, too. Your sacrifice was great, but we’ll pay you back and more for everything.
Thank you, Dr. Shen. Give me some clothes, I want to visit Leroy in the hospital.

You look better. I’m glad to see you’re doing okay.
Awww, thanks for worrying about me, Naomi, but I was way more worried about you. Did the operation hurt?
Not at all…heh. Isn’t this usually where you say, “That’s a good look for you?”
You look strong. And that’s a good look for you.

Good, Soldiers Carol Allen and Cameron Watkins are being decanted now. Their life signs are stable.

How do you feel?
I feel…light. How much weight did I lose in there?
Weight? You weren’t supposed to lose much weight.

Hey, neat! I’m black again. …and somehow a lot more buff than I remember being. Wait a minute…

Cameron?
Carol?
AAAAHHH!
Oh, you IDIOTS! Who loaded the DNA sequences? YOU SWITCHED THEM!

Well… Actually… This isn’t so bad. I feel like I’ve got a lot of spring in my step.
Hey, this could be an upgrade for me too! Check out the biceps! And I think my vision’s sharper. Trade ya?
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence…
You are being rather cavalier about this!
Eh, this is, what, the third mutation I’ve had now? Used to it.
Hah. That’s nothing. I have seen more poo poo in fifty years than you kids could dream, waking up in a different body isn’t even a blip on my radar. We’ll mutate you back next month when we can afford it, until then, trade underwear and do your job. Your aim scores are identical to each other anyway…

We are extremely impressed with the progress of the XCOM project thus far, Commander. You have exceeded our expectations, and that is not a statement this council makes lightly.
Thanks, Councilman. There’ll be a minimum of two more expected abductions in the next month, maybe some more scattered incidents…we’ll try not to let you down. We should be able to get live captures within a week.
We look forward to the fruits of the investigation.
gently caress! The computer still thinks I’m Watkins. I got a pay reduction!

Don’t even need clothes any more… but they make me feel human…
Huff…huff…yeah, this body’s definitely a faster runner than mine. Probably be a lot handier on the battlefield. No wonder Allen keeps kill-stealing from me.
Haha. Women live longer than men, my friend, if you were to stay that way you’d enjoy a longer retirement!
IF I made it to retirement. Women aren’t more bulletproof than men, Zin.
So, barfly buddy. There’s no non-awkward way to say it. Is anybody here gay?

To Be Continued!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 4, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloodly posted:

..This is not a complaint on this guy. I fully expect he will become even stranger and am even looking forward to it a little.

Totally already have the reveal of his identity planned, but the hat will not come off until the late game.

Chard posted:

SEXCOM: Orientation Unknown

Speaking from personal experience, a large number of people in a very small space WILL become a soap opera in short order.

Sorry, we'll get back to killing aliens in the next chapter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speedball: Goddamnit, I am so freaking sorry. :wtc:

What, for the horrifying derail? Yah, those are always a sign of a good thread, paradoxically, which means I'm doing something right! The ones I run into usually tend to be awesome rather than awful, at least.

RickVoid posted:

All that aside, you've got a really good funny:maudlin ratio going on with this thing Speedball. I love what you're doing with the characters, please don't stop.

Aww, thanks. It's a tricky thing to balance, but I have been writing things with that balance for years so I hope practice has improved my aim. I'm kind of going for a futuristic scifi M*A*S*H thing, with video games.

I really wish I had a better way of controlling who appears where in the barracks, it'd be so much better for staging conversations...

EDIT: There's a LOT of pissed-off countries. I think unless I get a few special incidents that reduce panic it's going to be really tricky to keep from losing a few countries in either Europe or Asia.

If I have to choose one to lose I'm probably going to lose Europe.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 4, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Next update in four hours, can I get three more posts to push it to a new page?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm helping :3:

Also, DANG. You've got a good panic building up there. Hopefully the next mission isn't an abduction.

Spoiler: It is. Which means that no matter which country I choose, someone's being pushed to the red.

Thanks, guys, guess I better get to work finishing the update.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mission 8: I Need a Secondary Heart, Because My First One Broke.

Go for it, man, ask her out!
What, really? Like THIS?
Dude, my bi-dar has been pinging like crazy ever since the meld experiments. I think having your DNA scrambled makes your Kinsey spectrum explode. …which means if this war isn’t over soon, in the next few months this base will be Bone City…
Okay, but wouldn’t you be offended if I got lucky while looking like you?
I could only take it as a compliment. Live a little, man. Think of that hot bod as my gift to you. Ah, here!

Where the hell is the commander? He’s never in the office.
What is it?
AAH! Viewscreen. Okay. I want a scifi movie night every week, sir! I’ve got a big collection of fantasy/sf movies and we could show ‘em all in the Officer Training Room, it’s already an amphitheater.
Huh, that would be good for morale, I guess…
Morale nothing, they’re training videos. Aliens with mental powers are invading. Fantasy has become reality! We need to get everyone ready for how to react when an evil shapeshifter holds your friend hostage and you don’t know how to tell who’s who, stuff like that.
Heh. You make a good point. What’s your favorite of the stack?
Willow.
WILLOW?

More abductions. poo poo. Let’s save Russia, we abandoned Europe last time. Christ, this balancing act…

Holy poo poo, Naomi, you’re huge. You could probably pulp a Sectoid with one hand.
That’s the idea.
Oh, what the hell is this? Get the hell off the lineup, Zinchenko, we have rookies who can shoot better than you!
Awww, I wanted to see Moscow again…

So does someone else! Eva, you’re up.
Hello! Nice to work with you all.

So, Eva, what quirks do you have? What makes you stand out from the crowd? …what do you look like under that helmet?
I’ll…tell you later. It’s a little embarrassing.
We’re here.

Please don’t step on my feet, Naomi.
Don’t worry. I’m much more agile than I look.

We’re in some kind of big warehouse area…I’ll take to the roof. Meld spotted…
Hey, rookie, you gotten exposed to meld yet?
Hooooo, yes.
drat, I was gonna make you get it.
Everyone, stay close to me if you can. My suit can project a distortion field, if you’re in cover near it, it’ll warp your image slightly. I will protect you all. Moving up…

Contact! A new type of alien…some kind of…cyborg…floaters!

poo poo! Watkins, get in the office beneath me, try to get around them!
Okay!

Da gently caress?!

ALIEN MECHANICAL OCTOPUS!
Incredible locomotion design…be careful, if it’s as agile as it looks shooting it will be difficult.

They just…vanished! They’re invisible!
Aww, poo poo. But remember, if it bleeds, we can kill it.
They’re ROBOTS!
If it doesn’t bleed, we can’t kill it? No, that’s not right…

Incredible power! I could cut a wall in half with a hail of bullets!

Dashing to cover! TESTOSTERONE! Keep up, rookie!

No, no! Get off! AUGGHgggggggg…help……

Floater down! Quick, get that drat thing off her!

I got it!

It’s not dead yet!
Get…away…! :commissar:

Everyone okay? Cam, you all right?
Yeah…throat’s healing itself…drat, I’m glad I got gene modded.
Oh, yes, excuse me. What they said earlier raises an interesting point. Sergeant Van Doorn called you “her.” Do you prefer male or female pronouns?
Whatever. As long as I look like this, female pronouns are fine, everyone’s just gonna get tripped up otherwise.

Be careful…there’s one more of those things out there…somewhere…
What about you, Allen?
Eh, I’m still more used to lady pronouns.
Yay, we’re all girls!
*eyeroll* Allen, take point.
Right! TESTOSTERONE! :torgue:

gently caress! gently caress! More floaters and I’m on the wrong side of this box! I’m flanked! Get me outta here!

Perfect sniping position…yeah!

Gimme a sec and I’ll get the other one!
There’s no time! Taking a shot at the other one! 71%, please hit!

drat! I missed the other one, someone kill that thing before it kills—

Allen! NOOO!

NONONONONONO! Auuuggh, this isn’t right, this isn’t right! I’m not ready for this!
Piece of poo poo, I’m gonna blow its loving head off!

No, Hilda, look out, behind you!

NO! HELP! AGGGGGGgggggg…
HILDA! I’ll save you!

MURDERER! DIE, you ANT!

RRAAAAAAHH!

Ggggggg…
I got it, I got it! Hold still!

There! Can you breathe?
Hakk…yes…thank you… is Allen…?

Okay, Allen, you can get up now.
Not funny! I know you can regenerate just like me! We’ve all seen the end to the Avengers where it looks like Iron Man dies, it’s not funny, wake up! We’ve got a punchline all set up where you say you “took it like a man.”
COME ON! CAROL! You don’t want to loving die looking like me! That’s stupid! WAKE UP, CAROL! We spent too much money on you for you to die!
Cam…let go.
NO, dammit! Carol, you’re the funny one, and a better killer than me, too! You’re supposed to keep us all motivated! You’ve been with us from the beginning! You can’t die! I…*sob*

to be continued…

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm sure everyone reading this thread already knows all about DLC characters, but on the off chance they haven't, no spoilers please.

scalded schlong posted:

Perhaps your team should have tried to avoid zhose tentacles :(

You bastard. I laughed.

I am so getting anti-invisibility countermeasures as soon as they come.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

Given that we already seemed to have discussed it with the "PYF Class" topic, are skills/augments you haven't gotten to fair game? Just want to be sure.

Eh, I guess so. Heh

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

Wait. Wait. Am I reading these screenshots and lines right? Since when are the people those bastards grab allowed to shoot back? Maybe there was a patch that went the other direction? (The Catching Breath debuff wasn't around at EW Launch, and my hazy memory is convinced an early patch made them apply damage straight away on the initial grab along with adding that debuff).

Allen shot it off Watkins, and Watkins was suffering from the Catching Breath debuff, but still had a really high aim value for point blank range with a shotgun (57%) and got in a lucky revenge shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sir Shion posted:

Remember when you said at the start of the LP that you didn't think you'd be losing many people, so don't get your hopes up for being included as a character...?

Pfft, by this point (the 7th update) the GuavaMoment LPs had lost 19 of its 130 casualties for UFO Defense and 14 for Apocalypse. I've lost TWO.

And for some reason every single person who can actually shoot on the team roster of initial rookies is female. I swear to God I'm not making this up, Male Watkins was the only man who didn't suck.

• Locked thread