Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Hahahahaha, the best sniper needs no rifle!

Best line :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

One third honest mistake, one third role-playing, one third me realizing I didn't need to worry about keeping a heavy with 55 aim around. Though everyone gets an xp bonus if there are no casualties.

The RP bonus is funnier though.

I wonder if X-Com will keep such a gung ho attitude to the safety of its operatives.

With Bradford around, all signs point to yes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sectoid cakes!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Assaults.

420 run and gun ev'ry day.

And sure, you could have your MEC shoot the enemy soldier mans acurately. or you could just punch their face right the hell off.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Psion posted:

magical things happened when Teal'c went off base.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pUapH3_ng

Magical things often happen when Teal'c is around.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Krysmphoenix posted:

:psyduck: Why would you ever put your sniper that close to the fight?

to proc ITZ, of course.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Asiastart lets you ramp up your soldiers pretty quickly. And means you don't have to sat a few low income countries.
As well as generally being a lot of money (and other resources?) over the length of the game. Europ start has never struck me as particularly useful. Cash and engineers are the usual early game bottlenecks.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Remember, without mods it is kind of difficult for me to finesse someone from a specific country with a specific gender.

Also: Kojima's not a one-trick pony and neither am I.

edit: "XCOM Slash fic?" Oh, man, it's not that bad, is it?

For that, readers should check the Commander's Guide to X-Com Enemy Within. Since Jade, or his co-commentator, foolishly challenged the thread to write fanfic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jumplegs forever. Not even particularly athletic, I just think being able to go "Nope, going over it" would be neat.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chryssalids, for the simple fact that, when things go badly against most enemies, it's bad.

when they go badly against our 4 legged friends, things get WORSE. Plus when you face the later enemies, you generally have some sort of tool to handle them.
Chryssalids can hit you when you're still fighting with basic armour and rifles.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 2, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Robindaybird posted:

welp, just lost my only support due to a god drat glitch, that's aggravating - is this common for the game?

:xcom:

so yes.. Kinda, at any rate.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I predict all this new tech will lead to some sort of new Metal

Gear...

Also a whole bunch of Cyberpunk stuff.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cathulhu posted:

Ironman LPs don't really work since if something happens to your footage, you're pretty much hosed since you can't reload and redo.

Also because This game is known to crash a lot. so having backup saves is a ton easier when you can reload.

Plus you can even keep the random seed so you take shots even though you'll know the outcome in advance.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, you tend to just play slower in general, since you're thinking about the story reasons behind actions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's passable for now, at least. Even thought yeah. balance, lol.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aliens are threats up until you get tier 3/4 units. then it's the same. And Tourism/Culture victory. HA.

Also, roads cost gold up until Supremacy 3. Then they become free. it is weird.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I bought it and now I can't play it. Why is a Civ using DX11 anyway?

I guess I'll have to am muse myself by blasting more aliens.

So that it can replocate all the graphical glitches in Civ5!
Kinda sad how it's either military or science victory, though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hurrah for everyone's Favourite grenadier/sniper making an appearance.

Then being awful with guns.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

grandalt posted:

Well, Exalt is Cobra. Excellent.

It fits their actions in game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I think the problems mentioned here with Beyond Earth are mainly that none of the leaders have any character to distinguish them. ie there's no real difference between say Space India's leader and Space America's.
No unique lines, and not really any unique character.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ViggyNash posted:

Errant Signal finally did a video on Beyond Earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M51p4LmPQ40

He shares my love of the role-play-centric mechanics of the game, like the tech web and the affinity system, but berates the game for not knowing what it wants to be, and not having the substance to back up its thematic concept.

I really thought the role-play-centric nature of the game would make for a better lp, but I guess the rest of the game might be hard to deal with. Speedball, would you considering coming back to this if the expansions improve the bad parts of the game?

No village was ever ruined by trade.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Chopped a goddamn log in half with a giant axe, which really helped. I have a lot of other things I need to square away this weekend but now I'm on vacation which means much more time for sitting down and making screenshots of people shooting at aliens set to entertaining dialogue.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Glad to hear that it helped

And that you didn't have an Axeident while doing so. Last thing you need is to slip up and end up short a limb. That sort of thing can really hack a guy off. And there's no real life Dr Shen, so you could be MEC'd up for life!

Siegkrow posted:

Well, this put a damper on the thread. have we got anything funny to liven it up again?

Done.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stephen9001 posted:

It's okay, we all love you anyway.
Seriously though, what your doing with the whole psychic nightmare thing is interesting... though I can't help but notice that "future" Cam has access to mindfray.... I wonder how the troops who become psychic themselves will feel about it.
Also, they should totally try to capture the sectoid commander instead, so they can give it far worse punishment then simply killing it would do.

If you aren't trying to capture the Sectoid Commander, you hate fun.

Or half your squad is dead. It saves a lot of future suffering if you can nab him though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Section Z posted:

Well now, it's not mutually exclusive to 360 noscope save the day, and take out your captain.

Examples. Last shot through two windows saves the day and kills the final Chrysalid before it can zombify your veteran... Oh, whoops! Sorry, I forgot I still had the Explosive rounds loaded into this thing. :downs: But at least you didn't die a zombie.

Always be autofiring. So they can kill the captain and the last alien in the same action. That's X-Com efficiency.
My best/worst story was taking an Alien Battleship. Typical withetring casualties. One of the last guys left is on the command deck. I know there's an Ethereal commander left because he paniced last turn. So I equip a stun rod before I go round the corner.

He had a buddy with a Heavy Plasma.

And because I had a Stun Rod equipped I didn't have the TUs to autofire. Or the accuracy to make the shot with a Laser Rifle. RIP that guy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a really weird place to be having this discussion, but I'll venture to say the other forums don't like LP because we have a tendency to attract some of the more... "unsavory" individuals on the internet.
This has been evidenced by "alleged" rapists, bigots, pedophiles, racists and convicted murderers. I'm serious.

At least we aren't FYAD. v:v:v

I was only aware of 1 or 2 creepers ever sticking around for more than a day or two.

Unlike FYAD, GBS etc.

which tend to attract the worst kind of people (goons)
:xcom:

(Steelball, please help us and post an update. Look at what the thread is reduced to. I know you're in a funk right now and I know how hard it is to do poo poo in such a mood. Please try anyhow. For the thread.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The perils of R&G. you have to shoot the commander in the face. Alas.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Well that's yet another broken promise. Sorry, folks. I've been a shell of a man ever since December. This upcoming weekend will probably be different, though.

I feel your pain. No rush

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zinchenko continues to get kills without using his sniper rifle.

If only SHIVs had explosives.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stephen9001 posted:

I have to say, (though this is a long way off) I can't wait to see how Speedball characterizes (and chooses) the person who does An Endgame Thing I'm Sure You All Know What I Mean. I mean, the person could be Zhang, it could be someone we don't have yet, it could even be a Van Dorn (which would be hilarious/epic).

Please let it be Zinchenko. You all know why, in your hearts.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Ugh, something happened and I can't update tonight like I wanted. gently caress real life. Sorry. Totally getting it done by the weekend though.

Life happens. We can wait. (gently caress goons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

On my last playthrough I only ever had 1 support at a time. They just kept dying.

Including on the last mission.

• Locked thread