Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I feel Bradford deserves better. While you dick around in the base, wasting tax payer dollars on shiny new toys to throw at the enemy, Bradford is in the base and handles all that paperwork and important stuff.

I've always thought of Bradford as the Jerry Gary Larry Terry of the XCOM project.

Everyone gives him endless poo poo, and he deserves all of it, but nobody really dislikes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RickVoid posted:

This. It was going just fine until he tells you to approach the guy carrying the grenade. I refused to give the order for a full minute because I knew drat well it was going to get the poor bastard killed.

Bradford and Vahlen are both idiots who deserve all the poo poo they get.

Seriously, bitching about losing out on weapon fragments when we blow up the vastly better equipped aliens on the first frigging mission...

Hey, that's not fair.

Bradford is an idiot.

Vahlen just puts almost no value on human life compared to SCIENCE. If when the war ends there's just a million people alive, but she got to blast a sectoid's dong with 5,000,000 volts?

Well, that's a win right there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speedball posted:

Vahlen is more like, "dude, give me something to work with so I can at least justify my paycheck!" I can't fault her for that too much.

And she's so good at what she does.

Admittedly, a lot of what she does is banned under the Geneva convention, but you just don't have the heart to bring that up when she's having so much fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speedball posted:

XCOM: just a bunch of a-holes.

But not, I hope, 100% dicks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Aim 60 on a sniper? I don't believe I luck that bad...

That's lovely aim for anyone. 65 is the default for fresh faced rookies with NCE off.

And for a sniper, aim is pretty much everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kitan posted:

Sounds fun. Are they called SHIVs because you shiv aliens with them?

It's an acronym.

Super Heavy Infantry Vehicle

And you know what that means, agent?

It means someone in engineering really wanted to call them shivs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd say another big problem is lovely checkpointing. Lots of repeating the same firefight you'd mastered to get to the part that's actually killing you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

venom3053000 posted:

submitting Frank Jaeger aka Frank Hunter, Frankie, Perfect Soldier, Null, [Solid Snake's] number one fan, Cyborg Ninja,
Deepthroat, for a Cyborg

Given XCOM's recruiting standards so far, I think someone different might be a better choice.

A former next generation special forces agent, forced to turn to mercenary work after his government turned on him, but he returned home when his nation needed him most. A man alone, his comrades cut down time and again. With the genes of the perfect soldier, and topnotch VR training, he's sure to... ah.

Excuse me a moment. My client needs to take a quick visit to the gentleman's room.

I vote Johnny Sasaki.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Assaults are my choice.

High risk, high reward, and the most likely units to draw a "How the gently caress did you survive that?" which characterizes my most cherished veterans.

MECs and Snipers get more kills, but when things get out of hand, assaults are my go to for getting things unfucked in a hurry.

(As for injuries, they get much less common for me late game. Armor means you can soak a hit before you get hospital time, and if you heal when injured instead of when near dead, it means another hit without wounds. Plus, with late game abilities it's easier to put a pack down before they make any trouble.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neopie posted:

Well, I know it's unlikely to get taken in, but for my suggestion I suggest Clarissa Stienbeck, who's... a bit of an anime nerd. She joins X-com out of a sense of adventure... and basically assumes she'll be a comic book hero or magical girl with the big cool laser weapons and go pshoo pshoo then the 'bad guys' blow up and everything's happy and they'll have cake!

She'll probably be /swiftly/ disabused of this notion.

Hey, it's a lot like being a magical girl.

Good pay, using the enemy's dead to sustain yourself, short lifespan, closed casket funeral if they can even find your body, and all working for distinctly shady overlords who probably have hidden agendas.

...She did watch Madoka, right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I had an assault survive a turn fighting two mutons in no cover. Another had five thin men shooting in his direction while he was in half cover. Pulled through and let me finish guiding light in record time.

I love those guys.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 7, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speedball posted:

Not much more overpowered than Naomi Bar-Lev is herself at this point, she's about to hit 100 aim and will. Criminey, she may be the very best MEC trooper I have ever had.

I will NEVER turn off random soldier stats again. Jesus.

Otto Zander starts at 100 HP.

Which is pretty much perfect.

(As is William Carter having the weakest will of any hero unit.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speedball posted:

They count as cheat codes and disable achievements, sadly. But there is the catharsis.

There's no achievement for ironman impossible anyway. Ironman classic, yes. Impossible tinman, yes. But II isn't expected of anyone.

Fortunately.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

IMJack posted:

The thing with Chryssalids in the original, they could poke a human several times in a row. They had a lot of TUs and their attack cost next to nothing. They could keep poking you until you died or turned into a zombie. If you had a group of soldiers in a bad position a Chryssalid could walk in and poke all of them in one action.

One hit was a kill on humans. A miss was a kill on humans. They were bullshit.

But! Due to their programming, 'lids kept attacking until they'd used up all the soldier's HP. So, heavy armor didn't do anything to defend the soldier wearing it, but it did mean the 'lid had less moves to kill your other guys.

Also, Chryssalid AI was glitchy as hell, so they often ran away without doing anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

The last time I played and got that terror mission map, I thought I was so clever, using stuff to pop my guys on top of the cargo crates. "There, now the bugs can't get us! :downs: ...Wait a minute, aren't they able to- :ohdear:" Miraculously, no lives were lost due to my idiocy. That time. It helped that they couldn't jump up if there is no room to stand without circling around to the back first. Since the fat asses of my soldiers were in the way.

Oldschool bugs chat. While I'm no "Bah, I want my OLD monsters back" guy since I am a huge baby, I do agree the old Chryslids were much worse, but not for any of the reasons mentioned so far. The reason they scared me was how DURABLE they were, or at least how luck always swung it, the first two I ever saw really stand out to me.

:downs: "Chrysalid, oh I heard about these I think. High explosive rocket! Haha, direct hit... And he's still alive... FIRE THE LASERS oh god he's not dead. Oh god, he's still not dead. OH GOD OH GOD oh now he's dead."

:downs: "Another Chrysalid, but it's okay I have a LASER TANK! Laser tank hit! uh, Laser tank hit, the sequl!... :ohdear:. *rookies spamming more laser rifle hits* WHY WON'T YOU DIE!?"

As for everyone's favorite Triad, I never quite got the hate for him. I'd assume outside of how melodramatic he loved to be, it was because you're dropping this background written unique snowflake into your game about your randomly named nobodies living or dying on how badass they became naturally.

Throwing away his loving gun also probably didn't help, Zhaaaaaaaang! :argh:

Difficulty chat. I've heard talk about an Impclassic mod, but what I'd want is "Normal, without the behind the scenes training wheels." Like the whole "each time you miss, a tiny aim buff is applied until you hit" that's supposedly a thing.

Well, it's also because the background material said you were hiring the best of the best. SAS, Spetz, Delta, that kinda thing. Sure, it didn't always work out in play, especially at low levels, but the fiction is your rookies were the world's best of the best badasses.

Then some random triad guy joins up, and he's got better stats than your guys can ever get (well, until second wave got patched in) and gets to pull rank on all your vets. Plus, you couldn't customize him at all. (Also improved in later patches and DLC)

Just didn't mesh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Convoluted betrayal? Calling people "brother"? Mustache?

Great. You hired Revolver Ocelot. Real stellar work, XCOM.

On the upside, he's probably going to betray EXALT before too long. And then whoever he betrayed EXALT to. And probably the next guy too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feinne posted:

Although hopefully they're less inherently doomed than Delta Green (who I'm pretty sure canonically got wiped out to a man after trying and failing to kill one of Cthulhu's spawn).

Apparently not. Just ran into a short story where one of their agents lasts to the end of the world, and some stuff hints at evacuation plans when that goes down.

Mind, they're still hosed, but they're no more hosed than every other poor SOB in the setting.

(Of course, that's still a lot worse than the time I named an X-Com base after 'em. Team poo poo four leafed clovers, I swear. Their topkick had front row seats on the skyranger from first contact on, and she still survived Cydonia. A plasma bolt bent around her on a Chryssalid terror mission. At night.)

As for reading, BPRD and the Laundry might also be worth a look. Similar gigs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feinne posted:

I think that's got to be a joke given she "interrogates" aliens by pretty much vivisecting them.

Electroshocks, right to ze brain!

Vahlen is all the jokes about sadistic XCOM scientists given flesh. And the game strongly implies she did the same thing to the first EXALT operative you captured. Possibly BEFORE the council gives you license to conduct war against humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Patricia Gallagher. My rookie handed a rocket launcher who made it from the Original 8 all the way to the end of a campaign. I've never had a rookie make it through an entire campaign of Old X-COM before her, or since.

I managed to get four people from my starting ten through one time. But the standout was the commander. Lyudmila Andianov.

She was in the first position in the Skyranger, and somehow survived every mission leading from the front, including the sectoid terror mission that wiped out most of the team and the only semi-intelligent civilian in the history of X-Com. Poor bastard figured out the Skyranger should be safe at the exact same time as a mind controlled rookie went on a shooting spree.

The standout, though, was the first Chryssalid terror mission. Tank got killed, so she walked out in her shiny new flight suit. Well, someone fired off a heavy plasma round.

It bent around her to insta-kill one of the sergeants. She got shot at least two or three more times in the mission, including several injuries bad enough to need medical attention, but she managed to survive, and when the only other soldier with a flight suit died (after one hit, because everyone else's armor was apparently made of tinfoil) she cleared the rest of the map solo.

The other three... well, one was a competent psychic. The others were a teamkiller and the guy who spent the entire sectoid terror mission wetting himself and crying while hiding in a residential building. Not quite as likely to appear on the recruitment brochures.

• Locked thread