Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Screw it, might as well submit a guy based on myself.

Stephen Andrew Smith (initials SAS)

A guy who loves to play all sorts of computer games, weather they be FPS's, RTS's, TBS's and games like Civ and has mild autism. Hailing from England he did a computing course at Canterbury Christ University and found difficulty in trying to focus during lectures and doing assignments, but managed alright in the end. Had dreams of being a games programmer but thought that fighting aliens would be an excellent way to honor the words of Winston Churchill, even if it means getting horribly shot at.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
You know, I can't wait to see what you do with Zhang and Anette once you get them. We all know Anette really loves killing aliens with those unique lines of hers, but I think Zhang might make a good straight man for the field operatives. I mean, the guy has a classic story set up, a man abandons his life of crime in order to do good, though admittedly his reasons for doing so are a little different than normal, deciding to leave crime in order to instead fight against the aliens on the basis that trying to profiteer off the invasion is foolish is highly sensible, but not exactly the normal reason a guy leaves a life of crime.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I vote Normal Zhang as well.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

What about covert operatives?

Zhang is always a heavy and heavies can't be covert operatives.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Gah! It hurts me just to look at that inefficient base layout with 2 satellite uplinks that can't have horizontal adjacency bonus because you took up you space with lame normal power generators! I hope that your new thermo generator mean you can get rid of those power generators and replace them with satellite stuff later.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Omobono posted:

Sacrifices must be made if you don't have readily accessible steam to put some valves on. You need 5 uplinks anyway if I recall correctly, so Speedball can just drop the next one downwards if he can't clear the space in time.

well, I always try to go for 2 uplinks and 2 of the better rooms, that way it's only a 2x2 square taken! But that's just me sperging out over efficiency a bit.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Wow, Speedball, if you get a recruit with the default name of Hideo Kojima, you MUST keep that name and go as far as you can with it.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I dunno. I always figured that the removed limbs were carefully placed in cryogenic storage. Because that's the sensible and logical thing to do, right?

...right?

Read the flavour text for the base augments. It mentions something about the base augments hopefully being able to be used to give the solider a relatively normal life after the war, someone else can copy down the exact text if they want.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Vote my thread 5! It has weirder discussions than the other X-com thread! :haw:

Will do!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

His AIM is now 68. Just barely better than a rookie.

As a matter of interest, what's Watkins aim now? Since at this point, it can't get any better.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Seraphroy posted:

If the depression talks through you again, make an XCOM update. Yes, I realize how hard it is to be remotely creative while in that mood, but the readers here, at least, love your stuff, even if this isn't immediately marketable. Gotta love the feeling of people enjoying your work.

Uh, I'm not sure asking Speedball to make updates while depressed is a good idea, unless you think him being depressed will somehow make for better updates, like those guys who think the best art is that made by "trouble souls"? Because that sounds like a recipe for upping the friendly body count, and I would rather not have the eventually victory be too bittersweet like "we won, but in the course so many good people died...". I would rather have the body count remain relatively low, so the guys can be like, "we won, and only a small handful of our guys died in the process!". :v:

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 7, 2014

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

In a city within a strange dimension full of insectoid Crystal People and other silicoids, Dr. White needs to travel to an outlying village to deliver a crystal baby that’s been budding. Her daughter Goldie’s too young to fly but too pushy to leave behind, so she travels by foot, along with two human doctors from the magical human world: Sarin, a comedic shapeshifter/cosmetic surgeon and Mori, a motherly diagnostician with light powers.

On the road past reacher trees, sugar crystal bushes and shell snakes, Goldie and the humans talk about the differences between them; why humans need breasts (“they make milk sometimes; the rest of the time they just look cool!”), why Crystal People marry when they reproduce by asexual budding (“You don’t marry someone to make a kid, you marry someone you TRUST with your kid!”), and that Goldie shouldn’t try to smile back at the humans, because her needle-like teeth are scary to them.

Sarin asks how long Crystal People live. “We’re not sure,” says Dr. White, “because THINGS like gazers keep happening to us.” Just as they mention it, they see a gazer attacking the village in front of them: a huge floating monster with wide jaws and tentacles that shoot laser beams.

Dr. White and the humans rush to the defense of the village. White reinforces the shells on the houses with her paste while some lifter-type Crystal People hurl boulders at the gazer. Sarin grows wings to fly Goldie to safety, and Mori delivers the coup de grace by drawing a numerical magic square in the air with light. She punches the square into laser beams that tear apart the gazer and end it.

Dr. White rushes to her pregnant friend, Green, who’s in labor but unable to break the shell of the bud on her body with the baby in it; fortunately White’s expertly able to free the baby to the delight of her moms.

Sarin: “Congratulations, it’s a girl!”
Mori: “They’re ALL girls!”
Sarin: “Heh.”

Everyone’s saved, and of course the lesson is that no matter how weird their biology, people are still people. The end.

Huh, sounds weird and interesting. Also (for some reason) makes me think about how many people would likely give the crystal people structurally superfluous breasts (or something roughly shaped like them)for no logical reason.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Also every time I think about New World I just get loving pissed off.

New world? what do you mean by that?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Absolutely. In fact I'm counting on it.

So does that mean we might get the Snake in space Lp a few years down the line after Beyond Earth gets expansions? assuming the expansions are good enough anyway.

Also, the Civlopedia has a surprisingly large amount of flavour in it, check out the entry for the LEV destroyer and the victory wonders at some point.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Sorry for the delay. This'll be where the LP truly jumps the shark, though I hope not.

It's okay, we all love you anyway.
Seriously though, what your doing with the whole psychic nightmare thing is interesting... though I can't help but notice that "future" Cam has access to mindfray.... makes me wonder how the troops who become psychic themselves will feel about it.
Also, they should totally try to capture the sectoid commander instead, so they can give it far worse punishment then simply killing it would do.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 23, 2014

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Awesome. YES I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON X-COM. ...intermittently. But this one supportive comment has made me decide to try to finish tonight's update tonight!

I (and everyone else) look forward to it!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Depression is the worst thing. Don't worry about us Speedball, we'll be here when XCOM returns :)

Indeed, we all look forward to you updates, and we'll be here if you ever want anyone to voice your woes to. And only a few of us will ever demand more updates. The rest of us will at most ask nicely, like this "Speedball, this is an awesome lp, could we please have more?". Or well, you get the idea.

If I could, I'd offer you a swig of rum from the flask I got for my 21st. Sadly, I can't do that through the internet.
Oh, and did you know that Winston Churchill suffered from depression? he called it his "Black Dog". So remember, depression does not mean you cannot achieve greatness!

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rythian posted:

Stephen9001, the "he" in your signature should be "who", by the way. :)

oh, thanks for pointing that out, though truth be told I had left it like that deliberately for some reason which I can't currently remember. Possibly because I thought a small sign of being a little stupid like that might be endearing or some crap like that? (incidentally, I notice that I seem to be the only person who bothers with a signature on this forum, likely because not many people can be arsed to click the "show signature" box every time they post.).

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 17, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Speedball, I'm sorry for causing this derail by virtue of using a signature. But oh well, that's life, sometimes things can have consequences that seem almost unrelated to the cause. Like, I dunno, eating a fig and somehow triggering some guys fig related PTSD and getting the crap beaten out of you.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, a hip flask item that worsened your aim but made you immune to psionic attacks would actually be worth using sometimes.

Heh, I would totally bring the flask that I got for my 21st (which was the 12th of January this year) if I had to fight aliens. The flask is a nice one, made of stainless steel with a leather covering and my name (and the number 21) engraved into one of the sides. currently I'm using it to store relatively cheap rum, to drink whenever I want to get drunk, and am even brining it with me in my bag to lectures and stuff.

I'll also use for the good whisky I got on my 21st, when I can find sufficient reason to open that. I may be talking about this because I have just had some rum from my flask right now. (yay for alcohol in the bedroom!).

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

It is a flying hammerhead shark.

Sweet.

Hope that the depression isn't weighing too hard on you right now, but hey it let's you make jokes about how the best artists (as seen by some people anyway) are the troubled ones, like Van Goph and your now one of them! Er, that sounded better in my head, please tell me if that was in fact terribly offensive to you or anything.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
That was amazing, though a drat shame you couldn't capture the commander. Personally, I hope that if you continue to limit yourself for "story" reasons then you only build psionic stuff after actually capturing one. (like you have to when the put "the greater good" second wave option on. Unless of course you do in fact have that option on, in which case this is redundant.) It just seems... more... hmmm... can't think of what I want to say... poetic? reasonable? tense? sense-making? Ah whatever, the point is, that to me, it just make more story sense that you need to capture one before you can build psionics and stuff.

Also I look forward to seeing how you characterise the blue shirts when their time comes.
Once again, excellent work Speedball, we look forward to seeing the fruits of your continued efforts. (or however that one council line went)
And remember, WE will be watching.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

http://youtu.be/ZcpGIVbPYrI

You people are wonderful to me. I was worried it'd be overwrought or come off as stupid.

It can come off as a tad silly... but considering we already had "the world will be saved by weirdo's" that's totally forgivable, and helps give a sense of fun.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of which, did Vice ever start his Madoka Civ lp? Or is he still busy with the mod?

The mod, and I think he decided not to do the lp as he talked about it in the sandcastle or something (I don't remember that well) and they didn't like it.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Bar-Lev will return and will test just how drunk you can get when most of your body is made of carbon nanotubes and steel.

I for one look forward to it.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Well that's yet another broken promise. Sorry, folks. I've been a shell of a man ever since December. This upcoming weekend will probably be different, though.

Relax man, we understand and if you ever need someone to listen to your woes we'll be here for you.
(Though I imagine at least some of us are aggravated by the lack of updates everyone is to polite to say that, which I think is a good sign. I'm saying this as I just like to speak my mind.)
If I could, I'd get you a beer, but for obvious reasons I can't.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Did something happen last weekend? If so, sorry man, and hope that your problems get better soon. I'm sure we all eagerly await the next update, regardless of when it is.
Sorry for making a double post, but we worry about you man.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

http://t.co/dsdvp64YM7 <-- the other other thing we've been working on all this time. Now that the ball is rolling, I can spend time and mental energy on XCOM as well. I plan on updating XCOM tomorrow, see if I don't.

Edit: removed due to being rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 9, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

It's pretty rude to ask such things.

Yeah, looking at it I can see that, sorry just that sometimes plain old curiosity gets the better of me and I ask questions that aren't really appropriate. (this sort of thing is why I have my signature, incidentally).

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

So delete the post then please!

Eh, I'd like to keep it for posterity's sake (I like being able to be open) but since it's a request from you all right.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

That was excellent Speedball and I look forward to seeing how anyone who becomes psionic reacts to it. Oh and I can't wait till you find Annette Durand who's guaranteed to be a high will psi powerhouse and see what the team thinks of her and her story. You already have Zhang with his Triad experience acting as a badass somewhat aged dude on the field, I imagine he'd have some tips for our future recruits, since I swear he seems to be near guaranteed to test positive for PSI. (which means he should probably be one of the first people who put in the psi labs).

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

Sadly Zhang never tested positive for PSI ability in my game

huh. Go figure. It happened so consistently for me (though to be fair he was always part of the first batch to be tested) that I literally never had him not test positive for PSI. Still though, I imagine if he tests positive in this lp, it would lead to some very nice dialogue as made by Speedball. (possibly involving the others wondering if somehow his potential for PSI had unknowingly helped him during his time with the Triad)

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Yes there's gonna be another update tomorrow. It's half-done now. Heh heh. More new untested gene-mods, and a new soldier joins the active battle squad.

...and several rejects get, well, rejected.

A new soldier? Is it someone you get as a mission reward or just a new hire from the "hire soldiers" option? or does that count as a spoiler?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Now that you have captured a sectoid commander, my complaints about getting psi before then is more or less moot! I'm glad for that and am pleased to see that we have reasonable odds of getting a good pace for updates now. (this is not meant to either put pressure on you or jinx it, it's just that everyone would likely like relatively rapid updates, but we all respect you and won't complain too much whenever there seems to be a delay). Yeash, that part I put in brackets almost seems sorta passive aggressive... let me just tell you I don't mean it like that, and if I ever seem rude like that or whatever it's probably just not really being able to think of a better way to word what I think, or (like last time) curiosity winning out over politeness. Or I'm drunk, that's always possible.

Wow, that's a lot of rambling, short version is that sectoid commander capture is good, hope for good pace of updates and then followed by stream of conscious rambling along the lines of "please don't interpret this in a bad way".

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 15, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I have to say, (though this is a long way off) I can't wait to see how Speedball characterizes (and chooses) the person who does An Endgame Thing I'm Sure You All Know What I Mean. I mean, the person could be Zhang, it could be someone we don't have yet, it could even be a Van Dorn (which would be hilarious/epic).

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Nah, Zhang gets to be the normal one. Zinchenko gets the mods that let him kill things without a sniper rifle.

And those are?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So hey, there's another XCOM LP...kinda. It's exactly what you'd expect to have happen if the Commander was a chain-smoking teletubby.

well... that sure is something.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Ugh, something happened and I can't update tonight like I wanted. gently caress real life. Sorry. Totally getting it done by the weekend though.

Don't worry it's okay real life things take priority. Curiosity demands me to ask for details, Politeness says you should just ignore that first half. Edit: yeah, you really probably just should ignore me when I ask for details, and I probably should just stop asking questions that could be awkward, I'm not removing the comment as I want people to be... aware of my flaws I guess... and in part because it (to me) would feel sorta dishonest to just remove it and pretend I had more tact (I value honesty, which can lead to a lack of tact).

Remember, we're here for you man, if you want to voice your troubles we'll listen. There's no one is this thread who would mock you for them (unlike YouTube's comment section).

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 26, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Christ man, try to ignore your curiosity, someday it ma get you probated. And I'm not trying to be nasty here, I'm trying to look out for ya.

Yeah, I said that politeness means he should probably just ignore me for a reason. I'm aware of possibly issues from asking questions, it's just that I like to try to get them answered even if it goes against tact, which I usually try to counter by being apologetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, I have my signature for a reason, and I do know not to say rude and insulting things, it's just that curiosity is a bit of a weakpoint of mine, and thus I have difficulty in preventing myself from asking questions. I mean, I once added vinegar (a little bit) to orange juice to see how it would taste. I actually liked it, but I don't think many other people would. I also sometimes have random thoughts that make me wonder things like what the end result of me using a lit candle to set the table on fire would be, or randomly saying a swear word in front of my parents back when I was like 14 (answer really bad, and that's stupid so don't do it) that I know not to do, and sometimes they can get a little unnerving, like "why would I even think that!?". Other times their harmless question to ask another person along the lines of "what would you do if you won the lottery?"
So essentially, I know to not be an rear end in a top hat who insults people because it's fun, or whatever, but when it comes to questions I have less restraint (this was good in school and continues to be good in university because teachers and lectures like students who asked questions, not so much when you want to ask a cripple what being crippled is like). This is amplified by the detachment the internet can bring, as while I couldn't work up the courage to ask a disabled person what it's like in meatspace because there it can have unpleasant consequences, on the internet where consequences are less visibly "real" I would likely say something like "if you don't mind me asking, what is living with your disability like?".
And about "don't need to say everything that comes to mind", people have no idea about the things that pop into my head that I [I] don't [I] voice, what I do say or post is much better than the worst of what sometimes comes into my head,, which I would only ever voice when badly drunk (there was once incident I will never live down that my housemates continue to make jokes about) or it was so concerning I felt the need to talk to a psychiatrist or something.

Anyway, back on topic, this thread isn't supposed to be about me and my life story! I can't wait to see how Speedball characterises the blue shirts.

And none of you came off as assholes to me, just concerned that I might do something seriously offensive.

Edit aimed at post now below this one: Yeah, I know that happens to other people too, I just sometimes worry if mine are more extreme or more frequent, it's not like other people are open about this sort of thing.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread