Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I haven't played all the way through EW, but MECs are amazing. I love them very much. In EU my Sniper pairing was what it all about- get them in the sky and have them pinging enemies halfway across the map with squadsight when the sightlines were favorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

gently caress! The computer still thinks I’m Watkins. I got a pay reduction!

Yay, XCom pays men and women the same amount based upon position!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Even if the interrogation isn't fatal, what else would they do with a live alien? Throw it in Gitmo for indefinite detention? Ain't no alien signed the Geneva Conventions, plus most of them have had their ability to make moral decisions surgically or genetically removed.

My glee at discovering you murdered the crap out of your extraterrestrial detainees after torturing them for information makes me think that I'm going to be a hardcore Earth First zealot if we ever discover life from other planets for reals. Death to the alien!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

2. Carapace Armor. We're getting to the point where an unlucky crit killing a member of our Amazon brigade would really hurt.

2. Foundry Weapon Development. SHIV SHIV SHIV! It's even better if they're tachikomas. I'm also a fan of anything that links back to the original xcom LP, it's one of the first I ever read and was a large part of the reason why I ended up on SA.

Attack the Block for movie night. Nothing like some bruvs from the council flats wiping out an alien invasion on their own to show how badass humanity is. Plus, John Boyega by all rights should become a huge star, especially if the new Star Wars is good.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

As for reading, BPRD and the Laundry might also be worth a look. Similar gigs.

They should check to see if Mo can come along on some of their missions with her violin. They should also start editing the SCP wiki with their findings.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

There are same-sex relationships brewing here but I'm kinda trying not to turn this into Torchwood.

IANTO & JACK 4 EVER.

Speaking as an Alpha++ CisHet-kin SJW, there's a place for that stuff and based upon your past work I think you're a good enough writer and insightful enough to avoid making anything too cringeworthy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tomn posted:

It occurs to me that XCOM's legal department must be the unsung heroes of the Alien War, given how many legal hoops there must be to allow every single country in the world to grant access to an international strike force to blow the gently caress out of everything, anywhere, at any time.

Hell, imagine the case files from the assault on EXALT HQ alone...

Speaking as someone who has worked (briefly) many, many fields adjacent to actual national security issues, my understanding is that the system can handle it. But yes, I'd imagine the redacted files could crush a person.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jumpylegs would be the most fun, but I'd probably kill myself jumping over my apartment building when I land on my head.

so regeneration it is!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, adrenal neurosympathy would be cool in a lot of ways... but if it also triggers off of other brain chemicals I don't want to make everyone around me deal with my depression. Well, more than they already do. And as I said, jumpylegs would be really awesome if I thought I had the dexterity to not kill myself while using it. If I missed the part where the mod gives you that incredibly precise level of muscle control sign me up and excuse me while I go relive my favorite parts of Assassin's Creed (running around on and climbing famous landmarks)

Chard posted:

I have to say I would choose bioelectric skin. Having an entirely new sense organ, plus electric-shock skin, would be pretty boss. I've been scuba diving a few times and it's awesome but you're so out of your element it's hard to appreciate everything. Being able to literally feel the life around you... that's the stuff of dreams.

That's an extremely strong argument. Depending on how healthy the bone marrow regeneration makes you (it seems like extremely, considering the rate of regeneration) I might change my answer. Especially since the number of calories you have to eat for regeneration to be feasible would be insane.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I have never played this game. I have, however, played the original XCOM.

Thus, the answer is and can only be gently caress CHRYSSALIDS FOREVER.

Yes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

In reality? We're probably not the only planet with intelligences in the universe. Will we ever meet any of them that we can comprehend? Not unless there's some loopholes to physics as we currently understand them.

In this world? Same answer to the first part, but we'd be pretty likely to shoot first and make first contact later after the X-Com conflict.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Those we subjugate will no longer be in a position to be hostile to us.

This is my attitude in the CK2 LP.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

You read my mind, the next step of the joke would have been him admitting he killed someone with an arcade machine but I felt it was better to leave it ambiguous.

I figured he did it with a line tetramino.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It often happens as soon as someone mentions it. That's the power of awareness, I suppose.

I to this day regret complaining about people from the soccer forums voting my LP down. I went from a decently rated LP to way, way too high. I should be voted one as penance, but only after you vote this a five, because this is a damned good LP.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

berryjon posted:

That, or Civilization.

There's a huge sperg-war on the intermind message boards over the inclusion of Ma'Rija Broog-intz'a as the leader for one of the nations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, as a routine you might want to try just not posting anything you feel the need to caveat with "you should probably ignore this." It might not come naturally, but it is the type of habit you can learn.

Base defenses are awesome, they were one of my favorite parts of original X-Com.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rumda posted:

I know its a rare occurrence but you dont need to post every thouht that eners your mind.

If they're on the spectrum it's not that simple. Heck, people who aren't on the spectrum can have a bad habit of not saying what comes into their head.

But that's not in and of itself an excuse to just tack on an apology to stuff. Editing/filtering/censoring one's statements is learned behavior that might help prevent that sort of thing, in that it becomes a simple if/then question. "If I feel the need to put an apology on this because I think it might come off in a way I don't intend, then I should just delete the comment and move on." It may or may not help, I have no expertise in cognitive behavioral psych, but it might be worth trying if they really don't mean to offend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Favorite: World War Z, the book.
Least Favorite: World War Z, the movie.

• Locked thread