Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And this is why everyone hates Bat.
e: update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Pretty much. Bat is basically Starscream. Except he actually succeeded in screwing over his leader, and he's nowhere near as fun to watch make an rear end of himself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

W.T. Fits posted:

Pretty much. Bat is basically Starscream. Except he actually succeeded in screwing over his leader, and he's nowhere near as fun to watch make an rear end of himself.

He's also really annoying in one of the later fights. Not like hard, but the fight stretches out way longer than it has any right to due to the combination of gimmicks we've already seen and his exciting new gimmick he'll get later. The worst fight is one that overstays its welcome.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bat is a dick in the story and in terms of game mechanics as well, that basically sums up why he has such a big anti-fan club. I'm going to enjoy watching Dragonatrix school him, this is even better than replaying the game myself. :allears:

The bits about the novelization are nice too. I always thought the Junkyard was a very interesting setting that we never got to see in its full glory because we are dropped in media res without much of an explanation of... Well, anything.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, gently caress Bat and now the party has handed him a Asura sized Happy Meal for him to snack on. This will not bite our intrepid heroes in the rear end later, no siree. :argh:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Vprisoner posted:

Is... there any reason why Atlus decided to have new sound effects for demons in DDS instead of just reusing Nocturne's? I mean Nue getting stock seagull noises for no reason is pretty fantastic and all, but most of the new ones are fairly poo poo compared to the sounds Nocturne had. What caused the need for a complete overhaul instead of just making sound effects for the demons Nocturne lacked?

Yeah, I found that weird too. Still, Titania's death scream is amazing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

W.T. Fits posted:

Much more satisfying to beat senseless though. I could never get tired of beating his smug face in.

It's interesting to note just how much of the conflict in this game is set up because of that one small moment of mercy back at the start.

Night10194 posted:

Hunt-Comrades is loving awesome.

The music in both these games is superb, but this is definitely one of the standout tracks. Meguro was definitely on top of his game when he scored these two.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I made a bet with myself that Heat was going to say something insensitive and stupid as he walked up to Argilla at the end there, but I didn't think he'd be quite that much of a prick.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just jumping on the bandwagon that Comrades is completely :rock:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wouldn't doubt that the redone sound effects for demons in DDS compared to Nocturne is because the audio in that game is atrociously compressed or something. It sounds so bad when you're actually playing it, but it's not all that easy to notice on a Youtube video, I guess.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I made a bet with myself that Heat was going to say something insensitive and stupid as he walked up to Argilla at the end there, but I didn't think he'd be quite that much of a prick.

Heat does kind of have a point. You can't just leave that lying around.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Glazius posted:

Heat does kind of have a point. You can't just leave that lying around.

The rules explicitly state that the strong devour the weak to get stronger. What he's basically saying is 'if we don't consume her, someone else will, and then we'll be turbo-screwed'. Yeah, he's an rear end about it, but he's not really in the wrong.

Besides, that's how you get ants.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The rules explicitly state that the strong devour the weak to get stronger. What he's basically saying is 'if we don't consume her, someone else will, and then we'll be turbo-screwed'. Yeah, he's an rear end about it, but he's not really in the wrong.

I declare that Heat's first name is Walter. Walter Heat. Because you're not wrong, Walter, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The best part is why Heat's such a prick. Though, we won't be discovering that this game.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Same old, Same old: lost his favorite sled when he was a kid, never got over it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Same old, Same old: lost his favorite sled when he was a kid, never got over it.

Spoilers man, spoilers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Citizen Cagni

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Return to Manipura

Looks like we're a bit too late to stop Mick from kicking the poo poo out of the remnants of the former Maribels.

At least we've got some reinforcements now!

Why're you here?

...that you were in danger.
Sera said that? But, how--!? She couldn't have known...
What transpired?

One quick fade to black later...

Let us devise a new plan.

How can you be like that!? Our comrade died!

I do not comprehend.

Argilla takes this opportunity to just let go of Gale and walk away. It was pretty sudden after all.

Just ignore her.

Embryon

You have a point. I believe it may still be feasible, now that he has left the Citadel.

End

Manipura

Just like that, our party size has grown to four! Sadly, we can only field three members of the Embryon at a time so someone has to sit this one out. They still gain AP with everyone else, but no Karma.

Gale's our requisite balanced dude; he doesn't particularly favour anything in particular but leans a bit more towards magic. He's just there to slot in and fill whatever role you want him to. In case you couldn't tell from his name already, yes, Gale is our Force oriented party member. He even starts out with Zanma and everything! Since he just turned up, he can stay on the bench for now; he's same level as everyone else but his initial skills aren't too stellar. Well, aside from the Zanma. If we really need good Force damage, we can sub him in mid-fight anyway.

Vayu, fittingly enough, is the lord of the wind, to the point of being one of the five great elements. Oh, and he's the father of Hanuman (well known monkey dude who played a key role in the even more well known tale of Ramayana).

Since he has Zanma's mantra mastered by default, he gets access to two new ones that currently no one else does. Hades and Mitama both only have one skill but they're quite useful. Hades teaches Recarm for 18,000 Macca (revives someone with half HP) and Mitama teaches a passive called Shared Karma. Anyone with it equipped that's sat on the bench when a fight ends gains half the Karma of a fight instead of nothing. The only real reason to bother with it though is that it only costs 20,000 Macca.

Hunting Fields ~ The Second Movement

So, let's head on through the base proper. Once we step a little past the entrance, we see a random Solids dude chilling in the distance.

The instant he notices us, though, he turns and bolts towards Gate 05. Curious that.

We'll give chase in a minute; first we need to sell off these Cells cluttering our inventory.

In doing so, two new items are added to the vendor. We've got a fair few Chakra Drops but the drawback to buying them is that they cost 3k a pop. Yeahhhh not worth it right now.

Magic Reed is a bit more interesting though; it also costs 3k a pop, but whenever you use it the encounter rate increases for a short time. The exact duration varies since it wears off as soon as Solar Noise hits the Minimum level. It has its uses and there is a special time and place for it; that time, however, is not now.

Good news is, from selling off those Cells, we finally broke 50k (the current amount is after getting Mantras for everyone else) and can get Holy Beast! This is going straight to Serph since he's the only person who's basically guaranteed to be in the party at almost every occasion.

Hunting

Since the Solids have taken over, the random encounters in the area have changed to accomodate this fact. Rather than fight remnants of the Maribel ourselves, or just a bunch of Rookies, we get to fight the slightly-more-competent Solids.

Strangely, though, they mostly spend their turns running away from us. Curiouser...

That's not guaranteed though; they can just decide to try and stab us for a turn or two before running off. And Valkyries in particular have a chance to counter if we try and pick a fight with them too.

The escaping thing gets pretty silly when you run into a random Tarrasque though. The camera zooms in ominously, he slowly appears... then he gets the first turn and runs away on the spot.

It's still kinda easy to kill off the odd Solid or two as you make your way through here though. Could go the longway, but we'll follow that random Solid through Gate 5 before taking a detour over here. We WERE in the area after all. Near the Field Hunt is Gate 7 which is locked and only opens from the other side, but there's also a door here.

I just straight up forgot this was here, until I saw it missing on the map. It just contains a golden chest with a fight in it.

Said fight is two Ikusas. Could've been hard if we did this when it was relevant (i.e. before kicking the poo poo outta Bat) but now it's pretty simple.

Heading back to Gate 5, we can run into this guy again just for him to run right towards Gate 4 when we get close. There's not much past there, so we'll follow him.

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

And as soon as we follow, we finally run into our first Omoikane! Omoikanes are this games equivalent to Metal Slimes/Golden Frogs/etc. They're tough blighters to kill but give great rewards when doing so. Naturally they are super-rare, but in a nice change of pace they are in every single dungeon. Naturally the ones in later dungeons are hardier than the ones in earlier ones though.

Omoikanes have one real trick, and that is that they cast Debilitate.

Naturally, this affects the full party and it reduces attack, defence, magic, accuracy and evasion. It's all four debuffs in one spell!

The best way to handle these guys is to revert to Human. Best person to have do this is Serph or
maybe Gale if you're that desperate.

You want to go Human, because Omoikanes resist everything... except Guns. You generally want really good ammo to take them down easily, though. You'll also want debuffs of some kind yourself. Best way to handle these guys is to have Serph revert, then Heat (or whoever's in Slot 2) follow up with a Taunt and then have Argilla (or whoever's in Slot 3) pass. Then Serph shoots.

With a good enough bullet, you can hopefully drop them at that point. We don't have anything near good enough for that yet though. Even if we bought better ammo from the Vendor (I am bad about upgrading my ammo, since I seldom use it) it wouldn't be sufficient yet.

You essentially need to oneshot them, since they basically always run on their second turn.

...But, of course, the best bullet is not enough to drop late-game Omoikanes in one go either. You have to pray for a critical. No, really. Omoikanes in the last area are that badass you need a crit to maybe drop one of them.

So, we aren't handling any Omoikanes yet.

Alright, let's see where that guy wanted to lead us.

A Solid Plan

Having seen that we've come through the gate now, the guy we chased here comes out from hiding. As do a few of his mates...

Feint

Where the hell is Mick!?

As Heat even so much as looks menacingly in their direction, never even mind try to approach, these guys just back off. Immediately.

A diversion...? What do you mean? We're outnumbered.

Silence

Serph and Heat aren't complete slouches, so they figure out what's going on here. Heat in particular isn't happy about it, so he turns to leave...

Sonic Wave

Bastard...

Not just any ol' trap though.

One that immediately leads into our next boss fight. And, uh, it's this guy again!

Boss: Asura Camazotz (Round 2)

Big Battle

Since we've kicked Camazotz's rear end once before, he's decided to shake things up a bit. Disappointingly, in doing so he's gotten easier.

He's upgraded one of his old techniques, so he uses Psycho Rage now instead of Rage.

This takes his one move, and gives him four half-turns instead of two. He then immediately Guards without attacking.

His third turn is used to summon Backup of his own. Unlike Usas, though, he doesn't bring in a Unicorn. No, Bat aims a lot higher.

He brings in a friggin' Baphomet to fight with him. It doesn't end there though! That Baphomet gets its turn next, and uses it to...

Summon a second Baphomet. Everything up 'til here happens in the same order every time in this fight. The next move goes back to Camazotz and can change a bit.

Thankfully, he opted to use Void Expel though. That's going to be a problem for him.

Much like before, whenever Camazotz is guarding, he's weak as hell to Earth spells. Unlike before, just hitting him with one does not break his guard!

And wouldn't you know it? Argilla just happened to pick up the second level of them just in time to hurt Bat with it.

In case you can't quite see it, she just dealt 162 damage.

Camazotz has 900 HP. That's over 1/6th of his HP gone in one hit. Without Taunting, because Camazotz doesn't deserve it.

I made a judgement call here to have Heat cast Void Fire. The Baphomets can use Agilao and I'd rather not have Serph get blasted with that.

Couple of times through the fight, Camazotz tries to goad you with lines of dialogue. It just makes him look like even more of a smarmy dick though.

It's only natural that he can cast Void Earth too. A boss that couldn't cover its weakness would be a pretty shameful boss. Even friggin' Harley had Void Ice.

...Shoulda gone with having Serph use Void Death though. The Baphomets do love their Mudo too. The "ideal" way to deal with this fight is have Gale in instead of Serph, since he comes with Void Death and the only elemental weakness the Baphomets can exploit is Fire.

But, eh, they're not a threat.

Mudo doesn't land
that often anyway.

Plus, since Camazotz quite likes to cover his own weakness, he's not covering theirs. Expel-weak enemies still can't be killed by Hama, but it does make it all but guaranteed to hit.

And I remember to cast Void Death occasionally sometimes too.

Not so fast... You gotta eat your vegetables before you can dessert!

He does have a third line of dialogue, but he probably won't survive long enough to get to use it. You need to take out both his Baphomets for that to happen (that's also how you break his guard this time around).

Which is kinda unnecessary; once you drop him, the fight ends immediately. It's quite telling how amazingly worthless he is, when he gets taken out in two rounds of being able to damage him. If he didn't have Void Earth, you could win in like a minute or so.

Even with it, he's quite a non-issue though. Just stops you pounding the poo poo out of him from the word go. Not a hard fight, but one that takes longer than it should.

Once again, he gives absolutely no AP whatsoever. His Baphomets don't either if you kill them, because he'll spawn in more and if they did give AP you could farm them. Atlus is onto you!

With Bat's rear end kicked for the second time in one afternoon, Heat turns around and leaves.

Thankfully, Argilla's still in Prithivi's form so she has Bat pinned down quite easily.

Hehehe... hahahahaha! You're too late.

How do you know about Sera!?

"Come with us... Come and see Sera... Please...?"
You... son of a--
They are a step ahead of us... if they knew that much.

How do you know that? Don't tell me that you...

Too Late

She's just a girl who can sing. How dare you drag her into this mess!
I do not comprehend. Logic demands the most efficient response to...
No!

Silence

Argilla picks the worst possible moment to revert back to her human self, I swear.

Because in doing so, Bat takes the opportunity to get out from underneath her and fly off. That's twice we've kicked his rear end and twice we've failed to finish the job.

It may be too late. We should return to base.

End

Heat's bolted, we want to turn around and leave ourselves. Unfortunately, that's not going to be easy.

Gate 4's the easiest and most direct route to the entrance, and it gets locked before we can even move. Great, now we have to find a new route outta here.

Naturally, since he pissed off on his own immedaitely after the fight, Heat is out of action for the moment. A minor note with this is that if Heat was in the active party at the time, whoever's on the bench is not automatically added in to fill the slot.

Easy enough to fix, and we can pick us some Poison cures while we're here.

The door to the entrance that we couldn't get through before is also available from this area, so it's a lot easier to escape than you'd think. Just go through here and we're done alrea-

Goddammit. There's always something isn't there?

So back to the courtyard we go, then. To the south, there's a door here but this area isn't all that necessary to be honest.

It has something that isn't overly common, a Rejuvenating Light. This is basically a free, infinite, Healing Terminal and it works on the entire party simultaneously. There's a small Karma terminal in this room too, but, again, the large one is just around the corner. You can grind pretty easily in this room, since random encounters do still happen in here, but there's no need to.

We can't get through Gate 4, but Gate 6 is in the courtyard area too. And we can open that at least.

There's very obviously either someone waiting to ambush us, or someone trying to trick us into thinking they're going to ambush us. Let's see which one it is.

Attack!

Oh, it's an actual ambush. Okay then.

Hunting ~ Compulsion

So, this fight just pits us against a lot of one enemy. We've seen something similar before, but this just ups the ante a fair bit. This is also a technically new enemy.

Thankfully, Kelpies are weak to Fire. This lets us just ruin them without much hassle.

Oh, and when I said there was a lot of them I meant it.

There's 10 of these blighters to fight through. They're not even difficult; just mildly tedious.

Thankfully, you'll know you're basically done because the last one tells you as much.

Those guys dealt with, we can continue onwards now to a technically new area of Manipura. We could've come here between beating up Bat for the first time and storming the Citadel, but there's not much of a reason to.

Due south of the gate, we can find an optional side area. It doesn't even take us off the beaten path, really.

It's just an alternative route that has a bonus Cell in it.

And, uh, another yellow wall. Sooner we find the yellow key to get past these things, the better; we've run into a fair few of 'em now.

Oh, right. We only fought Nues in a trapped chest before, but here they run around like it ain't no thing. They're still cripplingly weak to Force, but don't seem to want to use Taunt any more.

Turdak's running around too. In addition to Panic, he's also nice and weak to Expel.

But, yeah, the side-area just loops around to the end of the main road anyway. It just takes a little longer.

Either way, we get to the same ladder. Very ho hum.

At least there's a chest with some Dis-Curses in it right away. We'll be making good use of these later. There's nothing else up here, but a ladder leading down to a new area.

Which, in turn, has an optional ladder right away. We've seen what's above this one before though.

This golden chest; we could see it from the small terminal to the north before, but couldn't get here.

...Okay, this might be a valid reason to come here after Camazotz 1. Quantum Cells are on the lower end of the Cell scale, barely, but they're still way better than anything else we've picked up so far.

Double back a bit, and find ourselves at Gate 7. In a nice change, this one is actually open already.

...You didn't think it was really going to be that easy did you?

We almost missed 'em... Good thing we were in a hurry.

Solids guy here locks Gate 7, so now we gotta run around the wall to a ramp that leads up there.

He's gotten a fair bit of a backup in that ~15 seconds too. Like, a lot of it.

Hunting ~ Compulsion

Like before, we just have to fight through a generic enemy from the dungeon. Nues are a step up from Kelpies, but that's not saying much. There's also more of these buggers.

Yes, there are more Nues than there were Kelpies. We've gone up from 10 to 12 for this marathon.

Nues also put up way more of a fight. They're definitely done trying their Taunt tricks and instead opt to fling around ailments. Blood Curse tries to inflict, well, Curse on the entire party.

Curse makes whoever's inflicted take equal damage to however much they deal. So if you hit a dude for 50 damage, you also take 50 damage. Naturally if you just don't attack, then nothing happens. Nicely enough if you kill whoever you hit with that blow, then nothing happens either.

And because Gale has the worst Luck (seriously, it's friggin 9!) this basically always works on him.

The only other trick Nues have up their furry sleeves is a Combo attack of their own. Unlike Seraph Lore, this isn't unique to these guys.

Also unlike Seraph Lore this one is a proper threat on its own merits.

It's only the multi-target version of the upgraded instant death spell. Y'know, no big deal.

Except they don't use it all that often so you'll never have a shield up for it. And Gale has poo poo Luck so it'll basically never miss him.

On the other hand, they don't use it often so it's not much of a big deal in the grand scheme of things either.

With the Nues beaten and the Gate open again, we run into a pair of tiny monkeys. Said monkeys are Onkots and their sole resistance is just a regular resistance to Physicals. They also like to cast Rakukaja to buff their defense higher.

On the other hand, they're easy enough to beat anyway. They have barely 100 HP and are weak to Electricity.

They're also weak to Nerve spells, and Charm too! We don't have any way to inflict the latter right now, though. Should probably work on that really.

Ah well, as you might've noticed in the minimap earlier, Gate 7 leads to just outside the Field Hunt. That puts us near Gate 3, which is locked and the switch is on the other side.

So we just have to run around to Gate 5, like we did the first time we were here, and then we get attacked by a bunch of dudes just outside of it.

Again.

This time around, we fight 9 Onkots in 3 waves. 2 of them, then 3, then 4.

It's probably the easiest one because, y'know, weak to Sleep. Kinda renders them ineffectual super easily.

Between all the forced fights against Lots of Dudes, as well as all the pretty frequent randoms too, Serph manages to master Holy Beast just in time for it to be of no help for the remainder of the dungeon.

In the process, though, since he mastered a 4 star Mantra, he gets Soul added to his grid. Soul is basically Mitama But Better since it teaches Mutual Karma. Give that to someone on the bench and they earn full EXP. So twice as good as Mitama, but takes a little longer to learn. Also it costs 75,000 Macca. So nearly four times as much as Mitama. Worth it, though.

Besides, uh, we'll be getting that way before Godly Beast. We aren't seeing 6 digits in our wallet for quite a while (barring good luck with random drops), never mind 300k.

So, yeah, managed to pick up the best passive for random encounters right at the end of the dungeon. Past Gate 5 is the entrance, and there's a dude blocking it of course. He doesn't trigger until you get closer than even the door to the terminal is, though, so you can buy from the vendor and stuff if you want.

You know the drill here by now, though. We get close, he picks a fight, we fight a whole bunch of generic enem-

Mini-Boss: Evil Atavaka

Hunting ~ Compulsion

Well.. that's different. Atavaka is sort of our end of dungeon boss, but not really. Dude has 1500 HP, so he's hardier than Camazotz but that's not saying much.

Speaking of Camazotz, Atavaka just so happens to also be weak to Earth. How convenient!

It's probably a good idea to cast Tarunda on the guy a couples times too, since he just loves using physicals.

Executioner in particular can be a bit of a bastard at first if you're unprepared. That 58 is after casting Tarunda a full 4 times by the way. At that point, all of his physical attacks deal half their usual damage. So, uh, yeah, without it he'd just drop someone superquick.

He'll also cast Mind Charge occasionally to buff up his next magical attack and if given the chance he will capitalise on this.

To drop a superpowered Megido on you. gently caress that noise.

At least he gives pretty okay Maccca for a miniboss, and we actually get AP from him too.

End

Atavaka slain, we can leave Manipura at last and return to Muladhara.

Muladhara

It, uh... we're too late. Again. We're really good at getting to these places just after the Solids have ransacked the place, jeez.

Like, they apparently came in, kicked the poo poo out of everyone, kidnapped Sera and left all before we could get back.

Aw man, they even got blood all over our nice, clean hallways. If we ever needed an excuse to move into Svadhisthana for real, this is a drat good one.

But, hey, silver lining: it's at Max Solar Noise and we're right outside the Vendor.

Quantum Cells are very nice indeed. 18k at max is not too shabby at all. Even at minimum, they go for like 12k so that's a nice step up.

...Goddammit, first the soldiers, then the blood and now you're telling me there are bullet holes all over the walls and doors? The Solids are a bunch of friggin' rude jerks. :mad:

A New Destination

The Strategy Room has been well and truly ransacked as well. Fan-friggin-tastic. When we find Mick, he's paying for the repairs of all this stuff I swear to God.

Also Cielo got the poo poo kicked out of him. Yeah, that was kind of a given. Dude WAS basically alone against at least two named characters.

Heat doesn't take it all that well though...

Huh!?

Why are you so concerned with Sera?

That's enough!

You may be confused, but do not blame Cielo.
Cute little speech... but what about you, huh?
I have not changed.

Of course, the instant he says that, the crying woman from before immediately appears again and then disappears just as fast.

Instead of simply lashing out, let us think.

They allowed you to live in order to give us that information. Where is she?

Embryon

Of course, he turns around and bolts out as soon as Cielo even mentions the place.

He cannot succeeed alone. We should follow.

Strangely enough, from this line onwards, Cielo's accent changes drastically.

I gotta redeem myself for all dis!
You should rest here. You won't be much help if you're hurt.

Poor Cielo gets left behind again, though. Argilla does have a point; not like he's going to be in fighting condition right now.

Plus side is, we've got Heat back already. Even better: whatever Mantra he was learning when he left is Mastered when he gets back regardless of what it is. How nice.

So, next time we'll head on off to Coordinate 136 and hopefully do something that resembles rescuing Sera.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So, a couple of things. First, Gale's Atma.

Gale's Atma is the Twister, and it's a tornado with a mouth on the edge. Gale's a wind character, so that's hardly a surprise.

Curse also came up, but Dragonatrix missed an important aspect of the ailment: Should an opponent attempt to use a Mudo skill on you while you are Cursed, it will always hit. Forewarned is forearmed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So wait, let me get this straight. People in this place (who are apparently dead already?) normally don't have feelings and have grey eyes. However, being in contact with Sera and obtaining the Atma lets them get feelings back, which is represented by their eyes becoming the same colour as their hair (with our main character having grey hair, so his eyes can never change, which is either a good explanation over why he has no personality whatsoever or means more than we're seeing).

Because they didn't have emotions before, they act really stupidly (Heat and Argilla keep acting on emotion without thinking at all, Cielo has that weird accent), while those without emotions "do not comprehend" (thank you, Gale).

Do I have this right to this point? The game hasn't really explained much, so I'm not totally sure. What I am sure of is gently caress Bat. What a dick. I hope Heat gets to eat him soon.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You have to admit there is some nice horse power on the Ford Cielo. It can go from zero to Jamaican in just three seconds.

Blaze Dragon posted:

So wait, let me get this straight. People in this place (who are apparently dead already?) normally don't have feelings and have grey eyes. However, being in contact with Sera and obtaining the Atma lets them get feelings back, which is represented by their eyes becoming the same colour as their hair (with our main character having grey hair, so his eyes can never change, which is either a good explanation over why he has no personality whatsoever or means more than we're seeing).

Because they didn't have emotions before, they act really stupidly (Heat and Argilla keep acting on emotion without thinking at all, Cielo has that weird accent), while those without emotions "do not comprehend" (thank you, Gale).

Do I have this right to this point? The game hasn't really explained much, so I'm not totally sure. What I am sure of is gently caress Bat. What a dick. I hope Heat gets to eat him soon.

Mostly right, however they don't need to be around Sera for them to "awaken" if you remember one of the other clan leaders triggered without ever having met Sera. Beasically they have to experience something that generates some kind of emotional response. Agrilla triggered after she was told that she began mowing down on some Vanguards, Harley was Scarred Shitless when he awoken.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blaze Dragon posted:

(with our main character having grey hair, so his eyes can never change, which is either a good explanation over why he has no personality whatsoever or means more than we're seeing).

Serph's eye color did change, way back in the opening video. It's just a very subtle difference.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Yeah, note that, unlike Serph, characters who haven't yet awakened lack pupils.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I assume Cielo spoke in some sort of different dialect in the Japanese version, they just chose to go with something other than the usual Southern accent translation this time.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
They went with that accent for a reason, but yeah, it won't be apparent for a long, long time. Very little is arbitrary in these games.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fun Cielo accent fact: In Persona 3 there is a soda called Cielo Mist that's flavor text references something like refreshing Jamaican flavor or something similar.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am imagining jerk chicken-flavor soda.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Feinne posted:

Curse also came up, but Dragonatrix missed an important aspect of the ailment: Should an opponent attempt to use a Mudo skill on you while you are Cursed, it will always hit. Forewarned is forearmed.

Oh, that's neat. Never had that come up before, or if it did I just never made the connection.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Another useful tidbit that isn't hinted at, is that anyone who leaves the party will come back with their current mantra fully learned. If you know its coming up, you can blow all your cash on the most expensive mantra available to them, and have them come back with it learned for no effort at all. Comes in useful later on down the line, but the catch is, you have to know it's coming, and you'll get advance warning of it maybe once in the game.

David D. Davidson posted:

You have to admit there is some nice horse power on the Ford Cielo. It can go from zero to Jamaican in just three seconds.

Hermes Conrad joined the party!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Do I have this right to this point? The game hasn't really explained much, so I'm not totally sure.

Rest assured that the game will explain everything in due course. And I do mean everything.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Though by 'the game' that's just Digital Devil Saga as a whole. There's a lot of poo poo from this game that won't really start making sense until DDS2.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
From page 2:

Dragonatrix posted:

Some Awesome Thing That Isn't On The OST. :saddowns:

It's on the OST. Track 30. It's just a section cut out of the middle. Also, it's the music for the first stage of the final boss.

From page 3:

Dragonatrix posted:

[i]Speaking of annoying, Ambushes in this game are worse than in most since they force you to start in Human form rather than let you switch to it later. We've already sort of seen this with the Macha fight in Manipura though; it has its advantages (no one is weak to anything in this form for instance), but its share of disadvantages too (no resistances, weaker attacks, have to waste a turn transforming).

Actually, you're immune to hama/light in human form, so that's one resistance there.

These are great games, and reading this has made me want to play them over again. They really should be more well known than they are. For a couple years, DDS1&2 and Nocturne were selling for 150$ used on Amazon because Atlus didn't print enough copies during the initial runs.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Blaze Dragon posted:

It looks like Gale's putting on a bit of an act though, he's clearly having "dreams" and was clenching his fist in that last cutscene when Heat blew up at him. He's got emotions, he just "does not comprehend" what to do with them yet.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...

Feinne posted:

Fun Cielo accent fact: In Persona 3 there is a soda called Cielo Mist that's flavor text references something like refreshing Jamaican flavor or something similar.

As I recall, Cielo Mist's flavor text says it's from Jamaica. I've always assumed it was kinda like Sprite.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Magnus Ragnar posted:

As I recall, Cielo Mist's flavor text says it's from Jamaica. I've always assumed it was kinda like Sprite.

It's no doubt a pun with Sierra Mist, which yeah is basically that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Feinne posted:

Though by 'the game' that's just Digital Devil Saga as a whole. There's a lot of poo poo from this game that won't really start making sense until DDS2.

Yeah, it's easy to forget this is two separate games we're talking about here. I think most fans of the series just class them as one game.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

It looks like Gale's putting on a bit of an act though, he's clearly having "dreams" and was clenching his fist in that last cutscene when Heat blew up at him. He's got emotions, he just "does not comprehend" what to do with them yet.

Well, Gale did almost, but not quite, awaken.

And another note, Gale's demon form also has retractable weapons like all the others! His are blades that come out of his feet.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Feinne posted:

Yeah, like--

Argh. There's a thing I want to mention that we've seen, but it seems super trivial right now, and if I even mention it people will know it's important later, so even spoiler tagging why it's important wouldn't be enough. :argh: I'm just going to have to quote this post (much) later, when it's no longer a spoiler, and explain myself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, like--

Argh. There's a thing I want to mention that we've seen, but it seems super trivial right now, and if I even mention it people will know it's important later, so even spoiler tagging why it's important wouldn't be enough. :argh: I'm just going to have to quote this post (much) later, when it's no longer a spoiler, and explain myself.

And that's the magic of DDS' plot.

Honestly it'd almost be easier to list off the things that AREN'T going to turn out to be important or relevant again later in the game/next game.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, they're really impressively-constructed games. It absolutely throws you in and expects you to pick things up as you go along and it really gives you the tools to do just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, it seems that Mick and Bat have holed up in a Disney castle. At least it should make for an interesting dungeon.

There's not much to do outside other than talk to Heat, Gale and Argilla but they don't have much to say. Let's head on in, then.

Back At Muladhara...

Once we step through the door, though, the scene jumps over to Muladhara to see what's going on there.

Meow Meow

Cielo and the exact same cat from before are stuck in one of the small rooms by the strategy room.

Meow~!

Sorry, my little friend. De guard not gwon let us outside dis room.

Fortunately, Cielo seems to have an idea...

Hey, little help please?

It isn't me! It's, uh... de cat! De cat's doin' it! I think he wants to go outside.
The cat?

Ja, that cat. Aww, he's so cute... Come on, let him out!
Meow~!

I guess every unnamed dude suffers from being pretty stupid, since at this point he opens the door...

To get immediately jumped by... the cat. Gale should've picked a better guard.

'Specially since he the gets shoulderbarged by Cielo. So much for that, then.

Nice work, little bro!

'ey! Where ya goin'?

Now then, where were we?

Point136

Ah, right. The inside area of Coordinate 136.

The story to be told now...

What dramatic conclusion awaits you along this path?

Let us depart on a journey of mystery and adventure!

End

So, Coordinate 136 is a pretty big dungeon compared to everything before it. Might as well just dive right on.

The entranceway has what looks like a door on the left and right sides of the room, but they're not doors. You can't go through them and they don't appear on the map either.

Also this is where proper Unicorns hang out.

Still weak to Death but since they're not boss minions it works consistently now.

And our union mandated Large Terminal is right by the entrance too. Guess we can leave quickly if we ever need to for some reason at least.

The Princess

In a certain kingdom, there lived a beautiful princess with mysterious powers.

However, one day, an evil being captured the princess, and planned to use her powers for evil. She was imprisoned high up in a tall tower.

Their personalities were exact opposites of one another. One prince was always kind...

Thus, behind their backs... People begain calling them the "good prince" and the "evil prince."

End

So, there's a couple exits in this room, but they're all currently blocked off by giant spears. There's also a placard on the wall to the right but it just repeats the tale in written form.

Let's look at this giant painting of the Generic Princess, since there's nothing else to do in here.

Dearest traveler, might you carry these tidings to my beloved? As for his whereabouts...

Otherwise, ask the people...

...No, forget what I just asked of you. I am a captive... Dreaming otherwise will only cause pain and sorrow.

Yeah, sod that. We'll begin by heading off through the door to the east. Ignoring the statue in the process too.

Hunting

But we don't quite get to ignore the fighting. Two new enemies here; a couple Apsarases we get to fight properly and the giant goatman Fomor.

Apsaras, of course, is the easier of the two. Not much of a threat on their own merits but they do like to cast Makajam.

It inflicts Mute. They just prolong their own suffering, really.

Fomor really likes to cast Ice spells.

Because the game knows who's weak to what, he'll basically never cast them on anyone other than Heat.

He, uh, he REALLY likes to cast Ice spells on Heat.

Thankfully, he's basically juat a giant goat Onkot. Only difference is he doesn't resist physicals and is weak to every ailment instead of two of them.

Other new enemy is... another tiny monkey. This time, it's Thoth and he's not to be taken overly lightly.

He's got friggin' Rage and uses it better than Camazotz ever did.

Mostly to cast debuffs and... Maziodyne. Well that takes off about half Gale's HP instantly.

Plus side is that Thoth is the newest random demon that's mercifully weak to instant death.

Point136

The area here is mostly a bland maze consisting of one-way doors and portraits positioned to penalise you making a wrong turn. We want to run into this corner, though.

Because we want to be dropped into the castle's creepy basement.

...What is it with Mick and things dropping you into his basements? Both of the places he's taken up residence have had that as a thing. Weird.

Anyway, this time the basement area is optional but its worth getting thrown in a couple times. There's some neat goodies to find down here.

Of course, you can't get it all at once because all the doors save for the exit are one-way only. Swell.

The basement's also where Turdaks and Baphomets hang out.

It's mostly a linear area where we get kicked out to the entrance, so we'll head back to the main room now.

And I guess see what this thing has for us.

Are you enjoying Mystery Castle? My name's Twinklebell, and I'll be your navigator today. Nice to meet you! The first attraction is...

There are a lot of portraits on this floor -- all of the prince. Unfortunately, there's only one portrait of the good prince, whom she loves. Please convey her love to the right person... If you listen carefully to what everyone says, you should be able to find him.

If you talk to the evil prince, you'll be in big trouble... Well then, happy searching!

Yeah, so the Evil Prince portraits are the red ones that drop us in the basement.

...Seriously, Mick's dungeon gimmicks seem to be awful similar to one another. Blue is good and lets you do what you need to; red is bad and drops you in the basement.

Anyway, the area proper is a pretty uninteresting maze but it does have seem neat stuff to get along the right path. Mildly annoyingly, all of then bar one are in rooms that are only accessible by dropping into them. This makes it kinda slow and obnoxious to get the lot.

Here's a map of the area stolen wholesale off that's easily found on GameFAQs because its easier than trying to explain the couple extra routes needed to get through this bit. Gonna grab everything here save for the Mouldy Rolls because they're the requisite Bad Prize.

As for the random portraits we get "hints" from? Yeah, uh, not worth your time bothering.

Takes a couple trips, but we get to the Good Prince eventually. Hurray.

So then, she does... I am grateful. Please sir, may I ask you a favor, as well? Please deliver a message to the princess for me.

"Once all is well, I hope that we might walk together along a beach that you fancy." That is all. I would appreciate you doing this for me, kind traveler.

...The gently caress's a "beach"? Anyway, we grab the Soma Drop from in front of the guy, then spin around and head down this path that leads directly back to the main room.

Thank you very much, kind traveler. To show you my thanks, I shall remove the obstruction which blocked your path.

Oh, my dear, good prince... My feelings grow ever stronger.

...Yeah, it's gonna be one of those dungeons. At least we're done with the first part now.

Next floor's a small intermediary area. There's two yellow walls blocking us off from the rest of it.

Nothing else we can do here right now, so we'll carry on and come back whenever we finally get the Yellow Key.

Big Battle ~ Prelude

Once again, you didn't really think it was going to be that easy did you?

Bat and the boss already flew up top. They had the girl with 'em when they flew up high, ho. Hee ho!
Hee! Ho!

I could listen for a bit longer, yeah.

Hee! Ho!

Oh. Well if it's just that one line ad nauseum (it is) then forget it.

You cannot go, ho! And, that's because--
Why?
Because--
Why?

Mini-Boss: The HipHop Brothers ~ Fiend Jack Frost & Fiend Pyro Jack

So, looks like it's time to face a slightly harder version of everyone's favourite Jack duo!

Hunting ~ Compulsion

So, these guys are basically souped up versions of a couple normal demons. Still have their usual weaknesses, but a few extra resistances.

Just need some form of Fire resistance to shut down any chance of them getting extra turns. Ice stuff is surprisingly useless here, since Frosty isn't much for offense...

This ain't lookin' good ho sheezy yo!
Shout it, don't devour it, hee ho -- we're screwed!

Once one of them drops to about half HP, this happens and Frosty falls into his real role in this fight:

Healing. Lots of healing. He'll basically do nothing else so long as you keep on the offense.

It seems like it might be a nuisance, but outdamaging it is really quite easy.

And Taunt makes it easier. A lot easier.

Pyro Jack's offense is shutdown by Void Fires and Jack Frost doesn't attack so the attack bonuses are wholly irrelevant. How convenient!

Stacking two Taunts isn't a massively useful thing, though; it helps for like one round and then Pyro'll cast Dekunda and get rid of the defense debuff.

Or you could just... put him to sleep... huh. Really didn't expect that to work.

Sadly, since they count as unique encounters you can't explicitly eat them. Oh well.

Point136

Let's retreat for the moment, ho!

But not before getting off one last parting shot...

Yeah, I dunno.

We even get a bonus Jack Cell for our troubles. Gonna have a fair few Cells to offload whenever we get done here, since this place doesn't have a Vendor.

Going up...

The Princess (2)

However, in the same manner... The evil prince was madly in love with the princess. He often interfered with the princess and her love.

But try as he might... No matter what he does... Her feelings for the good prince never changed.

End

The weird narrator lady's stuff is meant to be one story broken up into parts. Each part just happens to coincide loosely with the puzzles we're meant to solve on that floor. Speaking of which...

This game is called... "Let's convey the princess's love by dodging obstacles!" The princess and her prince will be facing each other... Standing between them is the evil prince, interfering with "their love."

If you manipulate them properly, the princess's love will reach the good prince safely. Well... Good luck!

Well, I call them "puzzles" but they're not that taxing.

Also since we beat the HipHop Brothers, both Jacks are around now to kick the crap out of for fun and profit.

This time around, we've got three of these rooms to deal with. Can't do them in any old order, though. Thankfully, there's no fights in these.

Also, that chest thing in the corner?

It's an actual proper treasure chest, but they're both locked for the moment. Ah well.

The puzzle proper is really, really simple. Step 1: rotate the princess to the right.

Step 2: rotate the one mirror the light touches.

That's the first puzzle solved.

No, really. It's that simple. They're all that simple.

In return for doing this, we can now go do the next one and grab the loot in this room.

For our troubles, we get an Organic Cell and Revival Gem.

Since we're on the third floor, along with the Jacks some new enemies turn up now too. In this case, it's two Virtues and a Sarasvati.

Virtues are weak to Mudo. Not their finest strategy.

Sarasvati is weak to Fire. Beginning to notice a bit of a trend here.

Puzzle rooms 2 and 3 are over on the east side of the floor. Nothing too fancy here.

Puzzle room 2 is also blisteringly simple. Rotate the princess to the right again and rotate every small circular mirror the light bounces off of.

Rather than one mirror, this time we rotate 3. How difficult...

For our troubles, we get another Quantum Cell and one HP Noise. The cell is nice and I'm sure I'll use the noise one day.

That day, however, is not today. Onto the pile it goes.

Room 3 is right next door to Room 2 and we can go on in now.

This one is a little harder in the most token of senses. Rotate the statue left this time!

Then you rotate the first small mirror and then the third one! You have to skip one of them this time. That's a tricky one.

...Well, uh, this one has an inappropriately disproportionate reward. A Magic Noise (onto the pile with you) and a Soma. Not a drop. A full Soma. All HP/MP to the entire party? Man, I'm probably never going to use this thing but I want it anyway.

On the way back to the central room, ran into this guy. He likes using Force spells which could potentially inconvenience Argilla but he's not that tough anyway. He got all of one turn and he used it to cast Mind Charge.

We're about halfway done with this place now, so we'll take a short break here and head on up to the fourth floor and the remaining puzzles next time.

• Locked thread