Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did Argilla and Serph too. The only problem is, I did Serph first so I didn't think to combine all of his human and berserk outfits into a single entrance like I did with the others. And Serph has to be gigantic to make the transition to Varuna properly. And WWE2k14 didn't have Argilla's hair.

It's really amazing how relatively faithful a rendition of them WWE2k14 can manage.

Dragonatrix posted:

If I can and I know I can pull it off, or I know I can't but it'd be funny to see me flail miserably, yeah basically. Helps keep things more varied, just waltzing up to an optional boss super-early and still coming out with a win.

King Frost is kind of a weird optional boss anyway, doing it right after coordinate 136 is as you demonstrated totally reasonable and it's probably at its peak of being difficult and interesting after the next dungeon. Any later than that and he's just a joke.

Though that said I'm surprised you gave Serph the King Mantra there, it's so super niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing there are Cocytus-like spells for the other elements too? Are they also locked behind optional bosses?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

I'm guessing there are Cocytus-like spells for the other elements too? Are they also locked behind optional bosses?

There are in fact not, as it turns out. Cocytus is a weird special case and is pretty great, though personally I'd not go so all-in for it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Elements in SMT aren't as imbalanced as types in Pokemon, but they're usually not quite identical either. Like in Nocturne, there was Prominence, a mega-damage random fire spell, and the protagonist had Wind Cutter, a mega-damage single-target wind spell, and also got the heavy-damage random wind spell, Tornado, much earlier than any of the others. In DDS you have Cocytus, which is extremely useful for grinding because Arahabakis are weak to it (and freezing them for physical crits is good too) probably because the main character is ice aligned here, and there are a few more like that in the sequel. And then in P3 you had Maralagidyne, and so on.

(Also, I was just looking at a skill list for this game, and I saw that the Japanese name for the passive skill Null Ailment is BS Destroyer)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Glorious! :swoon:

I mean... the other two are good, they're just not Cielo.

Feinne posted:

Though that said I'm surprised you gave Serph the King Mantra there, it's so super niche.

Hell naw, King provides frozen treats for all occasions. Stop hittin' Cielo's secret stash, dude.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Feinne posted:

There are in fact not, as it turns out. Cocytus is a weird special case and is pretty great, though personally I'd not go so all-in for it.

I dunno, depending on how much you're going to farm a later hallway. Having it on at least two party members helps out immensely.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

All distractions dealt with for the time being, we can go and put Gale's newest plan into action.

But for once we're going to do something a mite different and check in with some of the gang before we enter it proper.

Actually, yeah...
You think so, too... Sera, Argilla, Cielo -- all of us... Doesn't it feel like we've been on this thing before?

It's called a ship.
I know that. In addition, I know that it is a seafaring vessel. But, why is it here?

Probably noticed that guy stood to the left of Gale by the giant gash in the ship's hull. Let's go see what he has to say now...

There probably won't be time to return for more.

Basically, once we enter we can't leave until we finish the entire area.

I'm ready.
We are fighting against the Brutes. It may be a battle with death itself, but... don't die.

The Plan

We will spread a rumor that you are hidden here. to get the attention of Bat and the Brutes. Needless to say, this is a trap.

Hey, c'mon...! Why don't we try somewhere else? Eh? Guys?

Is it really dat simple? I mean, dey'll know it's a trap when Sera's not here!
"Sera" will be here.

Meat Ball

Why is that?
Obviously! Sera's isn't dis tall,

and her arms ain't dat thick--

Once again...

Cielo deserved this.

They only need to be decieved from the distance.

Silence

Already!?
...Sera and Heat?

I hope they weren't spotted.
They moved faster than I expected. We must hurry; if we do not, they will devour us.
Okay, okay! Let's do dis, den. Let's go!

Understood.
Let us go. We will set traps for them throughout the ship.

Although before we can do that...

Bat has to get just a mite creepier. Swell.

That woman's there too.

There's no mistake. Varin--

Turbulence

Flashback time!

Sera

Now get me the hell out of here!
Very interesting...

You must open the door on your own.

On that day, everything changed. Now, each individual shall be judged by his Karma.

I'm beginning to understand how this works. Allow me to help you.

Silence

One quick fade to black later...

How long will your eyes remain shut?

And on that bizarrely enigmatic note, we're back in the present again.

Yes... Sir...

End

Steel Coffin

First, we will plant an explosive at the bottom of the ship. Let us proceed.

Naturally, we're forced into using a party of Serph/Gale/Cielo for the entirety of this area. Even more naturally, this is not the best team composition for it.

Thankfully, the Brutes are still dicking around outside so we don't have to worry about any fights for the moment. Right by the entrance, there's a small Karma Terminal and some stairs heading down a flo-

Okay, no stairs there then. This just makes backtracking more inconvenient, really. No other purpose.

So we'll take the only other exit on the floor, which leads outside. This lets us grab 3 Medical Kits before continuing onward.

One of the most noticably things about this place is that there a lot of doors we can't use. Because they're destroyed or blocked in one way or another. Mostly helps to keep the route linear since we don't have to worry about a billion alternative routes and sidetrips at least.

And if we try and go through any doors but the right ones, Gale yells at us.

So the lift by the door it is then.

We want to go down to the 3rd floor since thats the nearest to the bottom we can get to.

Once there we get spat out into a room with 3 doors.

...Two of which Gale won't let us go through. So the north one it is!

That one leads to a small area with another Karma terminal in it. More importantly, there's an area to the east of here which leads to a lower level.

It also has a small section where... we can never go. The map doesn't put up a wall here indicating there's no progress. Gale just stops you to tell you off everytime you try to go through here.

As we ascend, we must plant explosives on the floors above. One explosive is needed per floor, for a total of seven. Expedience is required for this mission. Let us hurry.

Actual progress involves backtracking down the right-hand side. But there's an area off to the left. Of course we're heading there first.

After all, that leads us to 3 of the next level of rations. These ones heal 300 HP to a person. Pretty handy!

Way back from here's when we finally run into those dastardly Brutes.

Capture the leader and the girl, but kill everyone else!

Hunting ~ Compulsion

Finally got our first fight in the area, and it's against 3 Nagas.

They mostly use Ziongas, which is kinda odd. Dudes in the last dungeon were throwing around -Dynes like candy but Brute soldiers only have mid-level stuff? Weird.

They can also use Tarukaja, but most of the time they won't get the chance.

They're weak to Fire. A single Agilao pretty much neuters them.

Steel Coffin ~ The Second Movement

From this point, we DO get random encounters again and the Deserted Ship is now officially a dungeon. Nice of it to give us a second Rejuvenating Light around the corner from the Hero Rations then.

And not too far from there, there's a couple Attack Mirrors too. These things reflect any physical on the next turn. Not quite as useful as the Magic Mirrors.

Anyway, new dudes turn up with the Nagas. These little floaty green balls of energy/light are kind of assholes that are too much hassle to kill.

Mostly because they have friggin' Megido.

Naturally, they're weak to Force so they cast Force Drain constantly too.

Oh, and they're immune to physicals and guns. The first enemy we've encountered with that resistance by default no less.

Only other new demon in the area is Isora. Significantly less hassle than the Phantoms because he's weak to Force and Electricity.

Gale and Cielo both start with their respective mid-level spells. Isora dies very quickly.

Once we get back to the room with the elevator in it, Gale speaks up and it seems like he's telling you off taking a wrong turn here.

...we cannot return via the same elevator we arrived in. Use the door to the right, instead. You, Leader, are the bait. Move quickly from place to place, and draw our opponents inside.

He's not. Despite it appearing in the self-same context with very similar wording to the messages that boil down to "this is the wrong way, stop it" it's not one of them. No, this is him telling us where to go in the next room.

Could've put this one better, really.

Plus just for that, I'm taking the door next to the lift first. It gives us a Quantum Cell; the first of several cells we'll be grabbing during our time here.

Proceeding onwards, we run into one of these guys. If you take what guides say about these things at face value, Chatterskulls are meant to be a big "do not fight these guys!!" enemy. This is solely because of that Death March skill which they don't use very often. It's a kamikaze skill that deals Almighty damage but kills the user.

I ran into like a billion Chatterskulls. I fought just about every single one. The only times they got a turn, they used Skull Cleave or one of their Voids. Mostly they were Panicked so they didn't even do that.

gamefaqs writers are full of poo poo when it comes to this game can i make that any clearer

Heading the way Gale wants us to brings us to a small corridor with a couple side-rooms that are mostly optional.

I say "mostly" because one of them is actually the next bomb location.

Two bombs down, we leave the room and swing left to carry on. More Brutes catch up to us in the process though.

The Silver Fox is on the move: port side, toward the bow. Call for backup!
Dey took de bait! It's just like we planned...
Do not speak hastily. We cannot allow them to believe our leader is worth so few of their soldiers. Destroy them so we may continue.

It's just a couple of Taowns. How disappointing. Weak to earth, use Zandyne etc. etc.

The only reason they get a turn is because Gale doesn't have Terazi yet. He does, however, have Drain Force so the Taowns are kind enough to heal us at least.

....Oh, and the ship has a lot of rooms that are just empty. A lot of them. They're pretty out of the way at times too.

So we head back to where we fought the Taowns and go to the east instead.

Leads to a large room with a whole buncha doors. We'll head south first, since that one looks like progress.

Thankfully, it's a pretty linear area which just leads to our third bomb location.

Doubling back to where we just were, the door to the east is a waste of time. It's a large room with nothing in it. The lift at the north end it is, then.

We need to go to both the fourth and fifth floors, but there's no staircase leading to or from the fourth floor. So we'll head there first.

Areas for the next while are just small sections with a terminal and bomb spot basically next to each other. This one's a Karma terminal, and east of here...

...is a Cai-Zhi. Better known in the series as Xiezhai though. Its one of those rare morons that uses an element it is weak too. If there was ever an excuse to actually use Earth Repel here, its this guy.

Or we can just hit it with a Terazi of our own and it dies. Either/or.

After running into the new demon in the area, we hit the fourth bomb location for real.

Now that we're halfway done, we run back to the lift and go up to the fifth floor. But after we get there...

Enter The Bat

Once he finally enters the ship, Bat does notice something at least.

Namely that there's an Embryon uniform discarded and left in the middle of the floor...

At least Bat gets closer to it. So he can give it a good sniff.

Bat is getting awful creepy all of a sudden.

Too bad Sera isn't here, sucker.

Seismic Wave

Oh, but you'll never see him again... not after I devour you!

Your comrade...

You bastard!!

Try as she might, Argilla's not quite able to successfully land a hit on Bat.

The whole flying thing does give him an advantage, and he is able to kick her in the side of the head.

In a one-on-one fight like this, Argilla doesn't really stand a chance...

End

So I guess we'd better hurry, huh? Door to the west looks like general progress to a higher floor, so we'll doubleback for it in a bit. East sounds good, so we'll clear that out first.

Like before, we get a terminal near the bomb location. This time around, it gives us a Life Terminal. Around the corner we go...

And thankfully, we're nearly done here.

Back to the main room we go, and on the way there, we even find... a staircase leading up... okay, so this way is progress. That other door must have been optional all along. We'll head back for it then.

It leads to a small area with a couple of cabins in. Only important item is the Theory Cell.

There's also a third door to the north which...

Leads to progress. Huh. Probably should've done this one first then. Appropriately enough, the terminal here is a Karma one.

And, yep, there's a bomb location near there too. Something a bit different happens this time though!

It makes me laugh dat you were stupid enough to fall for such an obvious trap!

The Brutes turn into 3 Chatterskulls. Serph burns them, Gale makes them Panic and Cielo pretends to help by casting Hama. Whatever.

Running all the way back to the staircase leading to the seventh floor then. This floors layout is a mite more convoluted than the norm. To the south there's a room with nothing in it. That corridor to the west that's further north is one of two routes somewhere later in the ship.

This door by the empty room?

That's our penultimate bomb location. Much like before...

We're on the seventh floor, I repeat-- ...Huh!? Th-That's...!?
Silence them.

This fight is probably trickiest thanks to the Phantoms. The Gurr isn't an issue. He's weak to electricity and guns.

Fight is only noteworthy aside from that because its where Serph mastered the King mantra. So what does Null Sleep really do?

Oh, nothing major. Just grants complete immortality when sleeping. The description downplays it, but if you have Null Sleep equipped and you are asleep every single attack will miss. Doesn't matter what it is or who's doing it.

Keep this in mind for much, much later.

Anyway, that done we can run all the way to the northern end of the floor and find progress there.

Hurry up! Get in position! They're moving toward our present location. We have to stop them, no matter what!

We'll, uh, deal with that later. For now, let's spin around and head to that other sidepath a bit to the south.

This one mostly just leads to another area with a couple cabins in it. Again, only item of particular note here is an Organic Cell.

It also has a door to the north that leads to yet another Small Karma terminal and an alternative entrance to the room we heard those Brutes from.

So it's up the stairs we go!

Hunting ~ Compulsion

Alrighty, so we have to fight 3 Sui-Kis this time around. Fittingly enough for the oni named after water, they mostly use Ice spells and they have Mabufudyne as a combo... so they have both Bufudyne and Teradyne then.

Thankfully their magic stat sucks balls; it only dealt 71 to Cielo, 67 to Gale and 35 to Serph.

Of course, then, they're weak to Fire. The only saving grace they have is that they have 500HP each. Still doesn't last all that long though.

They give quite a lot of money for something that's just a regular enemy at the end of the day though.

After getting past them, we can find a couple doors to the east and west. The eastern one most likely loops around to the lift we used on the 8th floor originally, so to the west it is.

This just leads to a small area with a couple cabins in it. Again. Unlike before this time we can get more than one neat item. Namely, first we get some more Hero Rations.

And in the cabin next door, we can find this dungeon's new bullet.

The Neutron Shot is just straight up better than the Iron one in every way possible. It's stronger AND inflicts Poison! Poor Iron Shot never even got a chance to shine.

New bullet picked up, we can now head to the east and the cabins there (also progress to the south).

First, though, we have to run into 3 Omoikanes in one fight. Because of course we do.

3 Debilitates means we aren't hitting poo poo. Moving on!

At least we can pick up another Magic Noise for our troubles.

To the south, we come to an obvious rest spot since it has both a small Karma terminal AND a Life terminal!

Running to the south, we find more cabins and a gold container that finally contains a fight. Been wondering when we'd find the one for this dungeon.

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

This time around, we get a couple Mothmen. Sorta disappointing really. They mostly use Ziodynes (aimed at Gale naturally).

Occasionally they cast Pulinpa to try and make you panic.

They're weak to earth. Of course they're weak to earth.

They also scare really easily when you use Elec Drain.

Mothmen eaten, we can pick up another Organic Cell from the same room and move on.

A little south of the cabins is another area where we can place the final bomb. No Brutes jumping out this time unfortunately.

There's two pretty simple routes we can take back to the terminals. Doesn't matter which, but the one to the west feels shorter. It probably isn't though.

Since the door by the terminals drops us back to familiar territory, it's really easy to run back to the entrance on the 9th floor.

The Deserted Ship's Explosive Finale

Silence

Sadly, by the time we get there, Bat has Argilla beaten and pinned down...

We eat to survive. It's only natural. You're just like me. C'mon, admit it!

Silver Fox

Might not have gotten here in time before the 1-v-1 fight ended, but...

There is no loving way Camazotz is eating one of our members.

Proving that he's kind of a badass, Serph just jumps right off the banister...

And even unmorphed, he attacks Camazotz.

Sadly, Camazotz dodges but he's probably glad he did. Either way, it's time...

Boss: Asura Camazotz (Round 3)

Big Battle

Time to fight this guy. Again. Since we just reconvened with Argilla, she can be subbed into the fight; most people would recommend not doing that because she might not be prepared or set-up for it. If you know its coming, however...

Like before, Camazotz opens up with a Psycho Rage. Unlike before, he's not quite scripted for the next bit.

Rather than just summon reinforcements, he goes on the offense in some way.

Come the end of his turn, he uses Guard as per usual.

Mistake number 1.

So we switch in Argilla in lieu of Cielo. Really its just position 3, but that's where Cielo is.

Then Gale taunts. Just the one is all you need to ruin Camazotz.

Argilla follows up with a Teradyne. With the one Taunt, this deals... um...

854 damage. Camazotz has 1500HP in this fight. I think we've already won, you guys.

Once he drops below half health, Camazotz gets a lot of dialogue that is super-easy to miss.

He also picks up a new skill called Zotzilaha Bane. This is a skill unique to Camazotz and its the one thing that makes this fight maybe a minor challenge. Emphasis on the maybe.

This drains a small amount of HP, and inflicts the unblockable ailment, Bat. Bat slices your stats, gives you a Force weakness and even drops your HP and MP to around 60% of their original max value.

It also can't be cured beyond death or it randomly curing on its own. So instead Bat gets Taunted a second time to get the big numbers and Argilla hits for almost 1200 damage.

Bat dies in 2 hits. The end.

Assuming that we don't do that, he gets to show off his other skills. Curse is, uh, what you think it is.

A single target spell that does nothing but try to inflict Curse.

His main magical offence comes almost entirely from casting Zanmas. Pitifully weak Zanmas that are in no way a threat.

If you give him a chance, he can use Power Charges which when combined with a Taunt or two allow him to deal upto a whole 90 damage!

Even when stacking buffs, Camazotz barely registers as a blip. Normally.

This changes once he has at least one person inflicted with Bat. That plus Taunt plus Power Charge lead to something a bit actually nasty.

He never got rid of Spiral Edge. He just never has much of a chance to use it. Its also at this point he stops ending his turns with Guard for a little while.

But when he does, at this point it actually hurts a bit.

Note that the only reason Serph died was because he was inflicted with Bat though. Even 200 damage to regular Serph would not kill him.

In the supremely unlikely event the fight goes on long enough, Bat can also use regular Rage but he does something different with this one.

He follows it up with a Dekunda (because he is debuffed; it would be Dekaja if I were buffed instead).

He also gets a bit chattier. A lot of his dialogue here is super easy to miss.

After removing de/buffs, he uses a Psycho Rage. This is the only time in which he stacks Rages.

And, yeah, he uses that mostly for Zotzilaha Banes and the like. Which has a chance of wearing off at the end of any turn, both his and our own.

But after he starts chucking out Zotzilaha Banes, there is a chance of his next turn being something really mean. Remember how the ailment Bat cuts your stats AND adds a Force weakness?

Instead of using a Rage or Spiral Edge, he can use a really nasty attack called Winds of Hell. Given the situation, this is going to murder us.

...Or, rather, it would if it weren't Force elemental. Force Drain is the ideal here, but Void is more than sufficient and you're guaranteed to have that.

So, that's Camazotz 3. If you intentionally sit there and don't attack he becomes a threat. If you so much as half-assedly try to win, however, he dies in like 2 rounds. He's even nice enough to give us AP this time but... I'm not entirely sure how that works in this case.

Like when Heat left before, whatever Mantra Argilla was learning is automatically mastered when she rejoins at this fight. How nice.

...Oh and if you think Teradyne is a bit too much here, well, you're right. But not for the reasons you think you are; Camazotz 3 is nothing but a colossal joke.

Anyway! Remember those bombs we just spent the entire dungeon planting? Yeah, they explode now.

Bat was actually still alive but left in the central area where we kicked his rear end.

Emphasis on the "was" in that sentence though. Dude just got caught in the blast. Good chance he's actually dead for real now.

And then the entire ship goes up too. Needless to say, because of this the Deserted Ship was a one-time only dungeon; if we missed anything, it's gone now. That's why there was no field hunt.

Woohoo!

One short fade to black later...

What Is It To Live A Life

We all hate... We all fight... We all devour... just to survive. But eventually we all die.

We aren't any different from him!

Why are we even alive!?

We'll survive this, and find our own answers.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Zotzilaha is another name associated with Camazotz from everything I can find. That Bat status isn't the only weird special status effect we'll see this game, nor is it the worst. Holy poo poo in fact no it's not the worst.

So I guess this should be said, this game isn't very hard. Like at all. I actually came up with some goofy things to do last time I was playing it just for kicks. And I'm not talking like for regular bosses, I'm talking making a certain friendly fellow, um, buzz off without having Null Death set on anyone.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Serph is such a boss.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I just caught up on the thread and I want to say thank you for playing this. I own the first game, collectors box and OST, but never finished it. In fact, I think I only got one more dungeon done before I stopped playing for whatever reason. I do remember the game being brutally hard at times but you seem to be breezing though. I was probably following a Gamefaqs guide though.

I do remember at one point being stuck on a boss fairly early on, probably somewhere at the castle, where I ended up keeping most of my team in human form because of the invulnerability to expel. It took like 20 minutes to beat but I did it.

Also, the OST is fantastic. It's hugely different than anything else I had heard from an RPG at the time and really stuck with me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So just from what I've seen thus far, Null Sleep works well when you combo it with Cielo (who's weak to ailments). I presume there's a way for him to do damage/other stuff while asleep? Otherwise it just sounds like a funny loop.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

So just from what I've seen thus far, Null Sleep works well when you combo it with Cielo (who's weak to ailments). I presume there's a way for him to do damage/other stuff while asleep? Otherwise it's just a funny loop.

There is basically one single fight in the game where it's useful, but in that fight it's REALLY USEFUL. The big problem with Null Sleep is that there's one thing it won't protect you against, which is the spell that instant kills people who are asleep.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Feinne posted:

So I guess this should be said, this game isn't very hard. Like at all.

I suppose it all depends on what watermark you're testing from, really. If you come into this from something like Final Fantasy where you can ignore everything but elemental drainabsorption and just spam your strongest attacks without regard for anything else (like it sounds like the GameFAQs guide writers did), then DDS is still going to take you to class. If you're at all used to the bullshit that the main-line SMT games (or even the harder entries in the Persona series) throw at you, though? It's a walk in the park. I'd honestly put it about on par with Persona 4 as far as difficulty, really.

It's sure as hell not Nocturne-level bullshit.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well DDS is hard enough as jRPGs go. Just jRPGs aren't very hard. Going into the game with only P2EP for previous SMT experience I certainly had some troubles here and there, but that's largely because I wasn't using Taunt (+2 offense? That sounds so risky do not want!!) and thus proper debuffing took long enough that I usually skipped it in favor of buffing alone. But even then it wasn't the enemies that usually made you work in the game, it was the dungeon design making you run in circles and giving enemies lots of chances to get in lucky turn 1 Mahamas and poo poo.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dragonatrix posted:

Let us go. We will set traps for them throughout the ship.
We're showing an outrageous amount of initiative for story heavy RPG protagonists. Deciding not only to lure enemies onto ground of our choosing, but to then trap it and blow it up, is so far beyond the normal paradigm of either (in an organisation) following orders to every new point, or (on one's own) continually reacting to everything and never being able to get on the front foot. Which is a bit sad really for the genre, but very cool for this game.

quote:

The "Colonel" seems to want his men to be the least camouflaged of all the tribes so far, and himself even less so. Good military sense.

quote:

The Silver Fox is on the move: port side, toward the bow. Call for backup!

Silver Fox
:allears:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Wonderful.

Huh, so that's what Null Sleep actually does, I guess I just saw the name and didn't even bother to check the description.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sergilla is awesome. :allears:

Man, Bat really forgot to properly grind in between being a creeper for Sera. What a chump, hopefully he's actually dead, the AP is probably shorthand for yes even if it makes no sense (maybe Serph went to check for a corpse offscreen).

How does Null Sleep work RE: elemental reflects? Do you bounce the attack or do you dodge it?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

We're showing an outrageous amount of initiative for story heavy RPG protagonists. Deciding not only to lure enemies onto ground of our choosing, but to then trap it and blow it up, is so far beyond the normal paradigm of either (in an organisation) following orders to every new point, or (on one's own) continually reacting to everything and never being able to get on the front foot. Which is a bit sad really for the genre, but very cool for this game.

Yeah, the game has a really good mix of us having to deal with stuff that's out of our control and efforts to take the initiative ourselves (take that also to apply to the next game).

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The "Colonel" seems to want his men to be the least camouflaged of all the tribes so far, and himself even less so. Good military sense.

I just want to quote this for now and when we fight him you'll understand why I can't stop laughing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Feinne posted:

I just want to quote this for now and when we fight him you'll understand why I can't stop laughing.

He's in the JSDF, isn't he? We're lucky he didn't wind up looking like this:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
He's been in the EDF. One of the soldiers Storm 1 saved by rolling into battle with endgame weapons. He's the original soldier to say "YOU LIKE DYING? THEN DIE" before it became mainstream.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Very few games are difficult once you know exactly what you need to do in order to beat them. Surprise.

Dragonatrix posted:

Do not speak hastily. We cannot allow them to believe our leader is worth so few of their soldiers. Destroy them so we may continue.

Man, Gale does not respect these guys at all.

Cielo is still The Best Character, though. :colbert: And I always loved the scene with Bat getting blown the gently caress up. So satisfying.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 17, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wait, people lose their turn token thingies when they miss with this system, right? Do you also have like a bait ability to make enemies only attack one character?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Wait, people lose their turn token thingies when they miss with this system, right? Do you also have like a bait ability to make enemies only attack one character?

Nope, but those various skills like 'Void <element>' apply to the whole party, and are how we usually in practice will punish enemies that have a limited range of moves.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This really seems like the end for Bat. Even his only ally told him he'd die if he didn't succeed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

With the ship blown apart, we immediately get moved to our new hideout.

Pray -A Capella Version-

We can't just gently caress off right now, either, so I suppose we'd better just go inside.

There's only one entrance to the new, significantly smaller, base.

Like, this place is a lot smaller to the point we have no Large terminal nor a Vendor here. At least we get a Life Terminal right next to the small one I guess?

...Still think we should move into Svadhisthana though.

At The New Base

Light shines on heaven. Earth and spirit, light brings glory and grace.

May it open our eyes, to the truth...

Shanti. Shanti...

Divine light, our heart cries out to you. Deliver us-

Hm...? We're comrades.
That's not what I meant.

Heat, you're hurting me.

I already know you're strong.

Serph--

Well, Heat just got a hell of a lot worse!

Sera...

It's nothing.

...At least he seems to know he hosed up big time?

Still, one quick fade to black later.

Brutish

You said da Wolves would last longer dan dat!
Thought it defies probability, the fact is undeniable.

At this rate, I am afriad they will destroy us all.

Aww, gimme a break!

Argilla... Tell me, would you follow Varin if he defeated Serph?

Huh?

Exactly.

But, why could that be?
Everyone has changed, just as you have.

What were you planning to do?

That is why this is so unfortunate.
Boss!

Silence

He's asking to see you.
Did you say Lupa? Where did he come from?
Well, you wouldn't believe it if I told you.

Let us go, Serph.

End

Much like before, Heat comes back with whatever mantra he had equipped Mastered. How nice.

And back to Svadhisthana we go!

Svadhisthana

Nothing happens at first, and finding Lupa can be mildly inconvenient if you don't know immediately where to go. No one tells you where he is, and the only hints are stupidly vague and dumb.

...Still no match for me, though.

You go through the basement, and come out in the area that had no wall guarding it. That's it.

Nothing immediately happens when we get here either; we just go talk to Lupa...

I am Lupa, leader of the Wolves. I am sorry for my previous discourtesy. I should have known you are a reasonable man. I trust you will forgive me.

Meeting Lupa

Under what conditions?

In exchange, I ask you to treat my men farily.

Oh, right, in case you haven't watched any fights and stuff, Vayu attacks dudes with a blade that comes out of his foot. This actually makes sense because Gale has a knife in his shoe.

Dyaus, Prithivi and Varuna don't have quite as nice a justification for their attacks but, y'know, whatever.

Fortunately Lupa doesn't flinch at Gale not stabbing him. Lupa's cool. I like Lupa.
(jamieson price is a nice bonus)

Gale!

Wolf's Pride

What assurance do we have that you are not here on Varin's behalf?

Honor...? What is this "honor" you speak of?

I do not comprehend. How does one see such a thing?

Sadly, Gale's eyes revert back to grey immediately. Looks nice seeing them almost in full colour though.

Silence

Samsara is the cycle of reincarnation. Here it's used for, uh, a sewer level.

Varin has referred to the girl that way. Supposedly, she could easily destroy this world with her power.

Can you honestly say you know yourself?
What...?

Dreams?
I feel as if... I have something to tell the child.

Someone else...

Daydream

You're beginning to understand. Why must we continue to fight this war?

Silence

Varin's gonna kill us if we don't find them. Did you find them?

Well, drat. Looks like the Brutes beat us here.

Go and kill Varin.

Against all dose guys? Ahh, now I know you crazy!

What do you mean?

He did that? All by himself?
He's become unstoppable, somehow.

My... power?

As promised.
Lupa.

In order to rule over the Tribes, you must defeat their leaders.

So be it.

In a nice change of pace, we get to see Lupa's Avatar without having to murder him in the process.

...Pretty drat appropriate for the leader of a tribe called the Wolves huh?

End

River of Samsara

The Samsara Tunnels are, as mentioned and should be very obvious, our sewer level. Fortunately, it is not terrible. Just... get used to it now. We'll be seeing these tunnnels a lot before we're done with DDS1.

Can you remember the term for this?
A kid...?
Serph, kid is the term for the maturing stage of a goat. Think more carefully.
It's a child.
That's correct -- a child. Why didn't we notice this before? Lupa was right, there are only fully adult humans here.

Lupa seems to know more than he told us, so sticking with him is a pretty good plan in general. Shame he ran off ahead though.

As per usual, there's a large terminal by the entrance if we want to leave later. No Vendor though, but that makes sense.

From this point on, we can fight dudes in here. There's some holdovers from before, like Gurrs, but they're mostly new.

Hunting

Speaking of new enemies, lets start with Kurasu Tengus. They're mostly easy enough to deal with and have a weakness we can exploit pretty decently now.

It's Ailments. Charm, Panic and Sleep gets thrown around a lot around these guys.

They even drop Organic Cells for us. This is the dungeon where our money problems stop being, well, problems. This is especially true by the end of it...

Decarabias are another new enemy but these ones are bastards if you don't kill 'em quick. Well sometimes they are anyway.

Mostly because of that Revert skill they have. Single target (thankfully) but it immediately reverts whoever it hits to Human. Almighty elemental so you can't block it either. Bleh.

'Nother new enemy in Mizuchi. It's a watersnakedragon...thing. Weak to Fire but immune to Physicals.

River of Samsara

At least we can see that Lupa's doing what he set out to do. Occasionally, we'll run into a Brute soldier that he already dealt with.

They make for bizarre good markers around the dungeon too. Basically opposite this guy is a Red wall. Next to that is a door that lets us double back to the item pot opposite the entrance.

Much like money, Noises become much more common from this point onwards. It gets a bit silly later...

But for the moment, we'll head back to the wall and head off to a sidepath.

There's a fair few Cells in this dungeon, and most of them are Logics. I'm not including drops in that for obvious reasons.

Since this is where we actually get money consistently, it's a good time to get people the Soul Mantra at least. Not having to worry about cycling people in if they need EXP is great.

The most northern door in this area is where we go for progress, and there's nothing else left in this part for the moment. We'll be back whenever we finally find that Red Key of course.

On our way through the next section, there's a Brute member who's not quite dead. To her right is, uh, nothing. If we double back to her left and go around a corner there, we can get a Chakra Pot. There's also a bridge around there which leads to...

Another dead Brute. We'll get to that door you can barely see here in a moment, because after examining this one we get a short scene.

What? Is he too good to eat these guys? I'm sick of that showoff.

Getting to the door we just noticed requires a lot of roundabout running. Doesn't seem like much, but getting here from where the corpse was takes a lot longer than it should.

And, of course, inside is a couple of living Brutes!

I see. Those drat Wolves are allying with you to attack Ajna. Don't underestimate us!

Hunting ~ Compulsion

Another Sui-Ki from before who's still weak to fire. Fuu-Ki, his blue buddy, is an Oni with control over the wind so he gets his poo poo wrecked by Electric spells.

Very simple and easy to deal with.

River of Samsara

Our reward for dealing with these guys is a Revival Gem and... an Organic Cell. Now we just double-back to the last dead Brute and head through a door to the west there.

That leads to a small area with nothing of interest in it and only the one door.

This leads to the only mandatory time we have to deal with a minor gimmick.

We're gonna need this thing.

Stay mindful of the current, as well as Solar Noise. When Noise is at its maximum, the waterway will flood, and you'll be swept back here. Best of luck reaching the exit.

Yeah, so it's not a very fun gimmick in theory. I don't mind it though!

River of Samsara ~ Second Movement

At least its kind enough to drop your Solar Noise to Min the instant you enter the Water Pump at least. So, this is a small maze of sorts with a bunch of one-way currents. Everytime you pass one, the Solar Noise gauge advances by one; it doesn't change at all otherwise when we're down here.

If it hits Max, we're kicked back to the start and have to begin anew.

Biggest issue with this is that random encounters still happen. Hi, Isora! If we just run into the one Isora like this that's a good thing because...

After kicking his rear end, Forneus turns up. Forneus only comes out here if we fight a single Isora and he always comes out in that scenario.

Naturally, he's weak to Electric spells.

And he, um, scares really easily. Really, really easily. Doesn't look like he's going to get a chance to sacrifice the son of heaven here.

Still, as you would expect from the mandatory occasion of this, it's a really easy route that's super simple to remember and leads quite nicely to the exit in no time at all. Barely passed half Solar Noise!

River of Samsara

Doesn't seem like we're all that far behind Lupa at the moment. I'm kinda curious how he got through to here though. We just took the only route and there is no chance he did the same.

And, um, it seems he's gotten a bit more brutal with the, uh, Brutes he beats.

There's a second Large Karma Terminal here at least. Lets us skip the entirety of that first section and the underwater bit if you need to leave for supplies or something.

More importantly is that there's a door to the north-west of here that leads to something very nice.

Two golden item pots!

First one has a Theory Cell in it which is pretty nice. So the second one then...

Has a fight in it. Of course. At least this dungeon's requisite monster-in-a-box is easy to get to.

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

Oh great, it's a pair of Gorgons. Out of all the Brute soldiers we could've fought. Friggin' Gorgons.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I kinda, sorta, forgot to equip Void Death. So Blood Curse and especially Stone Gaze is a problem.

Naturally, the very first turn the only one left uses it on Serph. Balls.

At least he gets AP out of the fight anyway, since Stone gets automatically cured at the end of a fight.

River of Samsara

Running back to the Karma Terminal, we can head to the north from there and continue onwards...

It's not all that dark down in this place. I guess the three heads thing might make it harder for Lupa to see or something?

And not too much further ahead from there is another Brute who gives us a small scene.

It appears he was run down and then mutilated. He must have been tortured before finally dying. Judging from the wounds, this was done by something very large.
What a way to die...
Whoa... He's completely ripped apart.

This does seem possible; if there was something like that down here, though, we'd probably already know. Wolves passed through to get to Svadhisthana and none of 'em mentioned anything like that...

Ah well, continuing onwards from that Brute we get a super-linear part. The door over on the right we'll have to backtrack for much, much later.

The only diversion we've got at the moment is a ladder right on the main path.

It leads solely to 2 Luck Noises. There's nothing else on this platform.

But now that we're further in the dungeon, Hresvelgrs turn up now. Fitting his giant size, and that he always comes alone, he has over 500HP and gets 2 attacks a turn.

Unfortunately for him, he's weak as hell to Electric spells and ailments work pretty often.

As is going to be a trend from this point, there's small detours on upper levels. The terminal there is to make you think that is the way onwards or something, but...

It just leads to a long hallway.

Not the last of its kind we're gonna see in these tunnels.

This hallway just leads to an easy Great Chakra. If we never bothered with the Blue Key this would be the first one we got. Huh.

The punnily named Tan-Ki is a giant turtle tank dude who came from the essence of the earth.

It is weak to Earth spells.

Moving on, we come to a... weirdly placed Yellow wall. It doesn't need to extend over to the left walkway here but it does anyway.

So, run around to the right side and go through and... it looks like forward progress. Thankfully, it's not. It's just this one room at the end of a short passageway but it seems to be actual progress with the terminal there and all right?

Also, we run into level 1 Pixies with like 400HP that have Megidolaons. This would be terrifying but!

They don't have enough MP. So, instead she just does something else.

Calls in her big sister who has electric spells. She can also bring in someone new to join the fight...

The Queen is here. This is a wonderfully referential gimmick to this random encounter and it is equally wonderful for something else.

Taking out the Queen lets us get a decent chunk of Atma, Karma and Macca. And the High Pixie keeps bringing them in too.

I cannot be arsed to abuse this because there are better options when we need them. It's also kinda slow.

On the other hand, this is the best way to grind Luck Noises (High Pixies drop them) so if you want to max Luck this is your first opportunity.

So we'll just grab our second Theory Cell from here and move on.

Moving on consisting of running wall the way back to the wall and then going due west.

Immediately running into a maimed Brute soldier next to an item pot with a Revival Gem in it.

Man, that's some dark irony. Let's just move on.

This time around, going up to that upper level IS the way forward. So we'll skip past that then.

It's very definitely worth it, since the Forged Shot is a very good bullet.

By quite a sizable margin, no less. It's got the second highest attack power but for the most part is not worth using over the third highest.

Both pale, greatly, compared to the top-tier one though.

That loaded into Serph's gun for if we ever need it, we can doubleback to this door on the upper level.

Of course there's a few living Brutes here. These ones aren't optional.

Hunting ~ Compulsion

This time around, we get the Sui-Ki and Fuu-Ki from before but they remembered to include the unfortunately named Kin-Ki. Unlike the others, this one's named after gold and cannot be pierced by weapons apparently.

So we hit him with really big rocks. He's weak to Earth.

River of Samsara

After that, we just go back down and follow another incredibly straightforward path.

The detour upwards is just to yet another small karma terminal. That door around the corner is progress.

Around the corner we can pick up another Power Noise. Double-back to the door now.

That brings us to a small rest room with a... Life Terminal in it. There's no fights in here, surprisingly, and of course there's something behind that giant waterfall.

It leads us to a yellow wall with a second Water Pump puzzle behind it.

River of Samsara ~ Second Movement

This one is a fair bit longer than the first one. It's also more complex and gives us a more generous time limit. Rather than spitting us out at Max, it does so when it cycles back to Min.

If it did it at Max, this one would be straight up impossible.

We have to go through 6 currents to get to the halfway point of this one.

That brings us to a valve which flips the currents directions. So anything that took us south before now takes us north, for example.

We use that to follow the new route all the way around towards the western exit.

I'd say the reward is more than worth it, though. Getting back to the other entrance is easy enough. Just take the same route we took to get here but in reverse.

Or just let the tunnel kick you out since it puts you back over there. That's actually more of a hassle than just solving the puzzle again though.

River of Samsara

Through the door next to the Life Terminal, we get... a lot of ladders with mezzanines between them. It's kind of silly!

No-Don't... YEEArrgghh!!

So, uh, looks like whatever just murdered the gently caress outta these guys left right before we got here.

And there was even a member of the Wolves who got taken out too. In an incredibly violent manner no less.

These guys are all outside the third Large Karma Terminal which we'll use in a moment.

First, there's a Blue Wall just next to the Yellow one that was impossible to miss earlier.

It leads to another hallway with a silly amount of ladders in it. Lets us get a Logic Cell though, which is nice.

Double back to the Yellow Wall and go past that one next.

It... leads to another hallway with a silly amount of ladders in it. Lets us get a Logic Cell though, which is lazy.

Back to the Large Terminal and using it to warp to the first one at the entrance. We're not leaving, but this does put us near...

The Red Wall here. We'll go through the door on the right first.

This just leads to a small area with an Attack Mirror in it. Seems like a poo poo reward, don't it?

Thankfully, we can see that the other walkway in this room is a Field Hunt so we'll go and do that next.

On the way there, there's a small room with... a Fusion Cell... in it.

Fusion Cells are INSANELY good. They are the second best Cell and a single one nets us well over 100k. At Minimum noise.

So, let's go through this door and deal with the

Samsara Tunnels Field Hunt

Like the one at Coordinate 136, we get 90 seconds to deal with this one. That is only just enough time to manage to get to the Mitama and if you don't know exactly where to go, when and know the exact order the purple orbs spawn it isn't even close to enough.

This field hunt is a loving pain but it is so, so worth it.

Hunting ~ Rare Devil

The new Mitamas here are all weak to Electricity. How nice.

Saki Mitamas are yet another minor step-up defensively compared to what we're used to. So I just said gently caress it and brought Devil Feast to oneshot them.

Saki Mitamas are REALLY good. 3 of them nets just under 350,000 macca.

That is a massive leap over Nigis from Coordinate 136. A single Nigi Mitama gave 2700 Macca (a bit more if you take 'em out quick enough though). A single Saki Mitama gives, uh, 90,000 or 112,500 depending on speed.

Sakis are basically the best mitamas, appropriately enough. Just a shame this particular field hunt is such a goddamn pain until you get used to its eclectic layout and weird patterns.

So, yes, there's our reason the money problems stop being a thing at this point. Saki Mitamas are the first wonderful cash pinatas. And one you get a special combo, you can get 450k a fight easily. Not too shabby for about 2 minutes work.

Only real downside is the whole 5 solar cycles to repeat it thing. That puts a pretty significant limit on its overall usefulness later on.

...And yet it's still not the best option! End-game macca farming is pretty silly.

Opposite the Karma Terminal, we can find a dead member of the Wolves and steal 2 regular ol' Rations from his corpse.

...What? He's not using them.

And around the corner there's yet another brutally murdered Brute. Swell.

We'll just head forward from here since we're almost at the exit.

So "almost" in fact, that we, um, are at the exit. Before we can use it though...

End of the Line

Lava Flow

Something's... not quite right here...

Lupa...

He's not the same anymore.

It's just like Jinana. Sera, can't you help him!?

It's too late. I can't do anything now...!

Well, in that case there's only one thing left for it!

Boss: Asura Cerberus

Hunting ~ Comrades

So, Cerberus is a pretty tricky fight. Hurray!

...Okay, admittedly, it is not THAT hard at all. I am just bad at it. Almost always want Fire resistance up, and the cutscene before makes that clear.

Cerberus also happens to be the first mandatory boss fight in quite a while with no weakness. He resists basically everything too; the heads are all neutral to Physicals but I am drat sure the middle and right head resist Ice and only the left one is neutral to it.

Also, both the (L) and (R) heads have 1800HP whereas (C) has 2600.

He gets a turn for each head, and they all do different stuff. The right one focuses primarily on buffs and debuffs.

Including Dekunda and Dekaja if you push it too far. Too far in this case being "all the way;" it doesn't care at 3, but 4 makes it drop everything to wipe that immediately.

As well as rarely putting up anti-Ice barriers. For obvious reasons, this should be the first to die.

The middle head is all about the offence. Mostly with Agilao (and Agidyne later in the fight) and physicals. He also counters sometimes whenever you hit him with Physicals.

For reasons that will make sense soon he should not be the last head to drop. Unless you have it in critical condition already and drop it the same turn as another head. Taking it out second is the best way to do it.

The left head spends about 99% of its time casting Diarama on the middle head and sometimes the right one. The other 1% of the time it casts Mahama. Since it goes last, this is not a big deal. Despite this seeming to be a nuisance, it's best to take it out last.

So, three targets that are best dealt with by casting Ice spells? Cocytus is really good here.

It hits randomly, so sometimes its 20MP for a whopping one hit at middling damage, but has a very high Freeze chance. Unfortunately, Cerberus is immune to being Frozen so that option's out. Looks nice though, and makes things go a fair bit faster.

Also the significant damage discrepency here between the Left head and the other 2 is why I'm convinced only Cerberus (L) is neutral to Ice despite everything on the internet claiming otherwise.

I don't trust the internet when it comes to this game though.

On the other hand, it takes an Amped Teradyne just to get it to come on par with a Boosted Bufula. That's... quite hard to ignore too.

Of course, and the big reason you want anti-Fire skills here, is Cerberus' combo attack.

If all three heads are still alive then he always does Pyriphlegethon here. This hits everyone at once of course.

It would hurt a decent chunk but Fire Drain makes it more favourable.

If only two heads are alive, he just uses Phlegethon instead. It's the same thing but weaker. Despite this being a two-head combo, Cerberus never uses it if all three are alive.

...So, if you leave Cerberus (C) alive with neither of his buddies around he gets very, very pissed.

If you have him in this state, make drat sure none of (R)'s buffs, or Taunt's Tarukajas, are still in play. Because he gets super loving dangerous now. He has both Power and Mind Charge and will use them to end you.

This is a Power Charged regular attack.

Now what if he didn't do that? What if, instead, he used Rend which hits super-loving hard?

He would drop anyone, and I mean anyone, in one hit at this stage. There is basically no chance you'll have over 500HP.

He also has another neat trick that he just... didn't want to use. I'm not complaining because its much worse than all this.

So, of course, we'll see it thrown around a lot in the next (mandatory) dungeon. Wheeeeee.

Get a decent chunk of Macca and a nice amount of Karma for our troubles. No AP though, but that should not come as a surprise at this point.

Silence

But I... I...

Aurora

Took long enough, but Gale's finally caught up with everyone else...

Silence

And now, we emerge in the Brute's base. The final tribe... we're so close that I can practically feel it.

But, y'know, I think we should let them be for a moment. We did get the Red Key and I can think of someone who's just dying to meet us now...

Here's all our new skills from both the ship and the tunnels. A lot of them are pretty self-explanatory and obvious but Double Slash hits a random number of times for light damage (not twice as you would expect). First Strike just raises the chance of us going first. Makatora costs 50MP but transfers that 50 to someone else in the battle and can only be used in battle; naturally, it sucks a lot. Mana Bonus adds 10% to your max MP. Stun Sphere inflicts stun on a single target, Stun Wave does it to all enemies. Sonic Wave inflicts panic on every enemy, Tentarafoo does the same thing but also inflicts damage so its actively better. Null [Ailment Type] does nullify said ailment. Sleep is not an ailment type hence the discrepancy there; it is covered by Null Nerve (as is Stun). The Null ones are all passives. Voids work the same as every other Void so they have to be manually cast in battle.

Chakra Walk and Mutual Karma are the Good Skills here. Both are passives but do very different things; Chakra Walk restores some MP to whoever its on whenever the Solar Noise changes but only if they're in the active party. There's a better version of it but you can't skip Chakra Walk because its the prerequsite.

Mutual Karma is loving amazing and you'll see it on benched members permanently now. It gives them full EXP instead of none if they finish the fight on the bench; there is a worse version but it's not required to get this one so we skipped it. If I ever do get it, it's just because I'm filling out missing Mantras. Giving them half EXP is okay but it's nothing stellar.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will never understand the Shin Megami Tensei definition of "dragon".

Also it's good to see that Gale is now hamming it up. RIP Lupa, you were cool.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lupa's so loving cool despite only barely being in the game.

Lupa's Atma is the Lava Flow, which of course makes sense given his other form is Cerberus an uses fire. It actually kind of resembles the three heads of his Cerberus form.

Also the a capella version of Pray that plays in the Embryon's hideout after the ship is conspicuously amazing for a game with amazing music.

And you're seriously going to go fight That Guy before Ajna, eh? That's pretty ballsy.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 19, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Bad dog, Heat. Bad dog.

Heehee, Serph is tiny. Them all walking in profile highlights it. *pats protagonist on the head*

Pyriphlegethon is the river that 'blazes like fire', one of the rivers of the Underworld. It's a twin to Cocytos, the 'wailing' river, a branch of the more famous Styx. Cerberus using one, and you using the other, comes off very appropriately. Of course, when one treats phlegethon (burning) as a downgrade from pyriphlegethon (burning like fire), one has to ask what else the Phlegethon attack is meant to be burning like. Chillis?

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It seems to get tossed at a lot of reptilian(ish) demons. Well, that and Snake.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Asian dragons are A)Generally long and snakelike, B)More often associated with water, rather than fire.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gale learned Steven Jay Blum

I love this scene, because up until now Gale was completely fine with all of this stuff. But now that he's finally been forced to see the pointlessness and brutality of it all he's ready to punch god in the face.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

By the way, it's definitely good to remember that the discussion of children is part of what caused Gale to awaken. Just keep it in mind (really for next game).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

loving hell this game has such a ridiculously good soundtrack.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Feinne posted:

And you're seriously going to go fight That Guy before Ajna, eh? That's pretty ballsy.

Oh god. ANOTHER optional boss before we tackle a main boss? Sounds like we've got a lot of hype to look forward to.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Blaze Dragon posted:

DDS categorizes kind of weirdly, probably because demon races don't really matter mechanically. This time I feel like it's 'S for snake... or dragon'.

Also I picked this game up again and drat, I really miss the Nocturne/DDS art style, it still looks really good even now.

(also I have attempted and I think for now failed the pre-ship King Frost kill, I'm not very well kitted out for it)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

neongrey posted:

DDS categorizes kind of weirdly, probably because demon races don't really matter mechanically. This time I feel like it's 'S for snake... or dragon'.

Also I picked this game up again and drat, I really miss the Nocturne/DDS art style, it still looks really good even now.

(also I have attempted and I think for now failed the pre-ship King Frost kill, I'm not very well kitted out for it)

Yeah, after the ship is a more natural time for it. He's definitely easier than Cerberus, so between Camazotz and him is a good time for it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Gale and Cielo are my favorite characters of the Embryon, I'm pretty sure. Between goofy heroics and mysterious visions and badassery, they have a lot going for them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Feinne posted:

Yeah, after the ship is a more natural time for it. He's definitely easier than Cerberus, so between Camazotz and him is a good time for it.

Yeah, and my builds are not what I'd call ideal for doing it early. My Serph's got enough magic (just shy of double what Dragonatrix has as of the last video, and I'm two dungeons behind) that he should be doing the heavy lifting but I foolishly haven't got him with a useful element for that fight and nobody else who can drain ice. I guess I have my plans for the next area laid out, at least.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there any in-story significance to the fact that the Embryon all have humanoid avatars, or is that just a concession to the battle engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Is there any in-story significance to the fact that the Embryon all have humanoid avatars, or is that just a concession to the battle engine?

I don't think there is ever an explicit one but I can think of some reasons why that'd be the case that are obviously huge spoilers.

• Locked thread