Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thing to note is that Harley, Heat and Serph all have "retractable" weapons in their demon forms. Serph's arm blades fold into his arms, of course, but Heat's claws extend outward before every physical strike, and Harley's unicorn horn is more like a folding switchblade that goes "ka-klick!" Argilla's whip arm coils itself back into a normal arm, too, so she also counts.

The main characters and the boss demons have...pretty interesting designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MythLisp posted:

Both the Digital Devil Saga games are so deliciously dark in tone and probably my favourite spinoffs of the MegaTen franchise. It was a welcome change from the upbeat "Let's save the world guys!" storylines that majority of the jrpgs had at the time.

Hell, Nocturne starts out with the world being blown to poo poo. Some games have a doomed hometown or village burned down by bandits. This series likes to completely wreck EVERYTHING.

None of that here in DDS, but instead of losing their hometown or something, the main characters are losing their robot-like confidence in their war and in themselves. They are both losing themselves and gaining horrible new insights into themselves at the same time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Huh. I knew about the cannibalism thing coming in, but not that we'd have a friend who would kind of jump on board that train wholeheartedly, nor that the player character would sort of shrug and go along with it. Nor that everyone would be crazy demons basically straight off. If it's not a spoiler, is that just how combat works for the game? We always roll right into battle in Atma Avatar mode, no summoning or anything?

Basically. Implicitly, every single demonic entity we face is actually a transformed human, and everyone on both sides spend the time during the fight whoosh transforming.

As for what cannibalism entails...yes, we are explicitly eating every enemy we face in battle, which is why our HP recovers slightly after each battle. Actual face-smeared-in-blood cannibalism isn't depicted often, though.

Argilla has been abstaining from eating enemies in this dungeon, though, which is why she hasn't been gaining any skill points.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 27, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always thought that his stripes should have changed formation when equipping different magetama or something. I love his design, though. I also love that they basically stole his "striped albino" design when Astarte appeared in Strange Journey.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game's tutorial soldiers crack me up.

"We'll kill these bastards! TRANSFORM!" *turns into idiotic-looking pink and green birdmen who stand there with their arms crossed*

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game has glossed over this but I would really like to know what it looked like when they got bodies for this universe. Did they pop out of a portal, or get scanned in one line at a time like in Tron, or what?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I miss the days when demons were stored in arm-mounted laptops. Do they store them in smart phones in the newer games?

In SMTIV, while YOU use a cyber-gauntlet, everyone in Tokyo who summons demons does it with a smartphone. In Devil Survivor 2 all summoners also use smartphones.

Although some of the boss fights in SMTIV were also against humans who ate a "red pill" that transformed them into demons. Think the most memorable was some nameless guy eating a pill and transforming into a female Dullahan and attacking you...in a misunderstanding.

SMT IV also had a funny variation on Law and Chaos. Usually Law-abiding humans are holier-than-thou types, but in SMT IV's Tokyo, they're all yakuza. Organized crime, SCUMMY order. They didn't control demons through any merit of their own, they bought off all their demons. In contrast, the chaos-worshippers were these serious aescetic monks who trained constantly to perfect their own individual strength. They never wept for their own if they lost someone, but neither were they unnecessarily cruel. And I'm pretty sure the demons who worked for them were all ones they personally beat the crap out of in manly one-on-one fights. "Oh, you think YOU'RE tough, I punched out a werewolf until he cried for mommy!"

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 6, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Feinne posted:

It's really a huge shame the game kind of forgets about the cool and unique law and chaos characters it introduces in the Tokyo phase when it comes to their actual ending paths, though. I guess they can't be TOO innovative or they'll throw out their back or something.

Yeah, they go right back to the bog-standard "demonic bedlam" for Chaos and "angelic wrath" for Order by the end. Kind of a shame. I looked forward to the final bosses being Angelic Al Capone and Demonic Pai Mei from Kill Bill.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I thought SMT IV Medusa was pretty spooky. She didn't have snakes for hair, she had snake skeletons for hair. Spiky!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Remember how Angel's demon form was Hari-hara?

gyrobot posted:

Well to be fair that is nature of order vs chaos. Law demands systems and official decrees, chaos is only decided by how strong you are.

Right, but here they were dressed up differently: law were foul-mouthed scumbags while chaos carried themselves with a degree of decorum. Backwards for how it usually goes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some of the wrong jail cells have funny dialogue. I remember one being "If you devour me, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even if we don't get to see what follows, Angel ripping open her jacket to reveal her Atma and saying that she's one of the oldest if not THE oldest demons alive is pretty badass.

• Locked thread