Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Awwww, yeah. I got a good ways into this, enough to know I was really interested, but the grinding got a bit much for me. Looking forward to seeing where the madness goes and if some of my theories about what's going on are right or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Huh. I knew about the cannibalism thing coming in, but not that we'd have a friend who would kind of jump on board that train wholeheartedly, nor that the player character would sort of shrug and go along with it. Nor that everyone would be crazy demons basically straight off. If it's not a spoiler, is that just how combat works for the game? We always roll right into battle in Atma Avatar mode, no summoning or anything?

If you get surprised, you come into battle as a sissy human with your guns and need to spend time transforming. You could also try to fight with your guns, but my memories of playing the game myself tell me that is a terrible idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, the Mantra Grid. The reason I never finished this game. I can't stand grinding and that thing expects you to grind like a motherfucker.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pharohman777 posted:

It seems like those with actual pupils and vibrant eyes are more emotional.

I noticed that when playing, too. I never got to the point where they explain it (and don't know if they do explain it) but I think that's a big reason why Gale is all :geno: I DO NOT COMPREHEND; he's still got the grey eyes and I think it's meant to draw attention to that contrast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hunt-Comrades is loving awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I've just realized, but this is basically the first jRPG I can think of where I actually really like all the main characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it has nothing to do with it not being Yahweh and everything to do with this being a different story than other SMT games.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I knew it was probably coming as soon as Agrilla and Heat and Roland died, but Gale and Cielo. :smith:

The first JRPG I've ever seen where I legitimately like the entire party and they're getting shredded. I have the strong inkling we're gonna be seeing people again, though, given we're trying to go to God, source of all Data, to plead for poo poo to get unfucked.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aumanor posted:

Did any Atlus game actually end on a TPK?

Arguably DDS3 Nocturne, though I suppose the PC survives, but the entire world dies. All of it. Forever. To fuel his ascent to be the Right Hand of Satan and storm the throne of God.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And why was Sera's version of Gale coldly logical (initially)?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know that part, it's more that even when he triggered, Gale remained much closer to that archetype, just tempered with compassion and purpose.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

True enough. RIP Gale, you were a super cool guy and I liked you a lot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Artelier posted:

This dungeon right here sealed the deal for me: Johnny is the greatest shopkeeper ever. That's dedication right there.

Yeah, I was guessing we were on the road for some reincarnation and stuff, though I didn't quite guess at Seraph's creation, but Johnny coming back as solar data to keep doing what he doin' means he's the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A cool game with a kinda meh ending, looked like. I was expecting as much. After all that buildup, just punch a surprisingly weak God in the face and get a sorta new-agey generic ending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So I'm not the only one who actively hated the actual gameplay of SMTII? That's a relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's weird is I really liked SMT, the original. I also much preferred the atmosphere where it sorta started out as urban fantasy and then went full on post-apocalyptic nightmare as the game progressed.

• Locked thread