Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

Hell, Nocturne starts out with the world being blown to poo poo. Some games have a doomed hometown or village burned down by bandits. This series likes to completely wreck EVERYTHING.
Heck, Dragonatrix just finished Devil Survivor 2. Which opens (like Notcurne) with the apocalypse being set off and the heroes trying to deal with the after effects.

As for the LP, I'm glad we're getting this game LP'd again. Mostly because as Koorisch said, Lusife's very good LPs of DDS 1 and 2 have lost images over time (especially DDS 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Varin's always been an odd part about this game to me.

The game keeps selling him as this hardcore powerhouse that was the strongest leader in the Junkyard prior to the demon transformations, and afterwards, still managed to hold that title. Yet...his boss fight reflects none of that strength and instead features a really annoying gimmick move that isn't all that threatening. I mean, I get that Varin's supposed to kick off the avalanche of plot reveals that spill into DDS2, but I would have liked a somewhat more challenging boss fight from the dude who literally bulldozes our party without a sweat 5 seconds before the fight starts.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sheesh, and I thought Varin was a chump. I'm with you, Dragonatrix, these :airquote:penultimate bosses:airquote: don't really deserve that title. At best, they're mooks wearing fancier clothes, personally. Especially that bird duo, goddamn. Way to make their "boss fights" completely pointless by turning them into random encounters not even a minute after you defeat their "boss" versions! Seriously, it reads like Atlus ran out of random encounters and needed some extra demons at the last minute.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Hey, guess what:

I finally found the time to get this over and done with. Update sometime soonish.
Hell yes. :getin:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

God drat, was that a slog and a half.

I find it hilarious that Cielo's weakness (and the reason everyone spot-welds him to the bench) is probably the most valuable thing for this fight.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Roland and Fred are hardly Japanese names and neither are Margot or Jenna, or Sheffield or O'Brien.
Same goes for Colonel Beck.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm actually trying to remember Abbadon's various fusion recipes to see if Cu Sith, Ganda and Ullberius were a part of that mix.

But yeah, way to go Earth. You managed to piss off the nicest member of Embryon. That takes a hell of an effort to do so. :bravo:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Heat was also pretty much expecting Serph to not just stand still; Heat probably expected Serph to either block his bull rush or dodge out of the way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can't help but laugh at the dungeon's gimmick being "Roland punches broken computer screens and powers them up with electricity (and manages to not cut himself on the broken glass)".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, I thought Sera was the girl.
No, Sera is the MacGuffin/Plot Device.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

Well, all Sera has to do is load an earlier save and not gently caress up this time. Easy.

Oh who am I kidding, this is SMT. We're gonna have to kill God, won't we. Again.
Name a SMT game where you didn't have to kill a deity du jour at some point during the endgame.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

If anyone is confused, go all the way back to the area we fought King Frost back in DDS1. Remember that little tale about the good prince and the evil prince, but the recording was damaged at the dramatic reveal section? Now you know who was who.

I like this reveal. We find out that the protagonist is an idealized image of a person who, in reality, was a colossal shitlord who manipulated everyone around him into achieving his goals. And then, one moment of clarity caused it all to horrendously backfire and result in many deaths/the end of the world. And yet, there are still a few mysteries left unanswered.

Also, I support this option:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I think we should follow Cielo's plan. His rhythm will definitely convince God that the world has at least one reason to keep existing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Regardless! Next time: we'll be going to the airport. Let's commandeer us an airplane.
Given this game is sort of the United States, I'm hoping it's not O'Hare or LaGuardia that we have to suffer through for the next dungeon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CmdrKing posted:

So, LAX.

Truly we left Hell only to enter another Hell.
Then let us be glad that Atlus decided to be kind and spare us the monumental clusterfuck that is The Los Angeles Highway Experience.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing I don't get is how David's data wound up in the Junkyard in the first place. I get Cielo appearing there because Sera knew about him, along with the rest of Embryon. From what the game tells us, Sera never met David, thus never giving her a template to create Gale from. Is that explanation stuck in some obscure guide book somewhere or something?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

YggiDee posted:

And nobody gets excited if you say you're immune to wind. Or is it force?
Force and wind get used so interchangeably, it is hilarious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NaotoSaysNo posted:

Okay, so, if for whatever reason Cielo didn't die before getting to the HAARP, would he have fused together with Sera and Serph as well creating some kind of weird loving rastafarian anime perfect being? Cieraph?

Someone please draw that :allears:
I want this to be a real thing so much, it hurts.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Seraph-Gale-a-Argillastic-Heat-Cielo-docious.
You forgot Roland in that mix.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

drat, the last dungeon seems like one giant unfun slog or is it just me?
I'd argue that the Sun is more of a very large dungeon and very long in certain areas. It's not that things move slowly, it's just that there is so much dungeon here to go through in order to get to the end.

I mean, there are certain areas in Strange Journey that are on par with the Sun here in terms of dungeon size, so it's not an isolated incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Great work, Dragonatrix. DDS is indeed a strange creature, with 99% of the plot happening in the second game and the first game ultimately being a slow introduction to how the world works (and to acquaint you with battle mechanics). That aside, it is a beautiful game with great music and great performances from the cast, even if half of them will probably never work on another SMT game again due to union shenanigans.

I do feel bad for Roland, though. All that work to introduce a new character...only to just leave him by the wayside during the final dungeon (if you don't recruit him back) and completely ignore him in the ending, regardless if you got him over Heat or not. Kind of makes him superfluous and only really there to recreate the tale of Indra from Hindu mythology.

• Locked thread