Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Oh poo poo. Been following since the beginning and didn't even realize there were updates.

Could you start posting the update in the post you announce it in instead of only editing the op?

I hardly ever go back to the op after reading it the first time, instead using the "first unread" button.

Looking forward to this, though. Loved the game when I used to have a GameCube, and any Rhode Islander will tell you we secretly love anything that mentions our tiny, forgotten state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

NineWheels posted:

Next chapter up now!

Enjoying the LP so far! Echoing Velocity Raptor's sentiments about putting links to new episodes in the new posts, in addition to the OP. A fancy image banner or such would be even better!

Good thinking regarding how you're showing off sanity effects. I hope you'll show all of them over the course of the LP. One thing that surprised me in the video was you mentioned these as "now common sanity effects" - have any other games really done sanity effects the way Eternal Darkness does?

I think you're doing a good job explaining the mechanics and enemies with enough details but without being too wordy, which is important for a subtitled LP. Really neat to hear interesting things like the comment about a yellow-colored force in the first video as well (I didn't know that!). Without getting into spoilers, I hope you will talk more about the story of the game as appropriate.

Overall, good job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this LP!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone else wonder why this game gets so much nostalgia hype? I played it when it came out and have watched a few lps of it and its kind of a repetitive turd.

\/[@___@]\/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Does anyone else wonder why this game gets so much nostalgia hype? I played it when it came out and have watched a few lps of it and its kind of a repetitive turd.

\/[@___@]\/

I can see a few reasons.

First, as noted, the sanity effects are really quite novel (or were for the time at least).

Second, it's a horror game, and there aren't too many of those, so one that's reasonably competently-implemented is going to be well-regarded by fans of the genre.

Third, it's basically a Lovecraftian setting, so again, fans of that mythos are going to be happy.

It's not without its flaws, especially as you note its tendency to re-use settings. But if you can allow yourself to get sucked into the atmosphere then it can be a lot of fun regardless.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's important to remember that this game seemed a lot more amazing when it was released; unfortunately Eternal Darkness hasn't aged very well.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Surprised it didn't get mentioned in the video because it was right in the shot, but I believe sanity effects begin the moment your meter is less than 100%, and get more severe the further depleted it gets. In the cutscene where Elia gets the blowgun, you can see blood dripping from the wall, which is one of the minor sanity effects. I also believe the camera will start to tilt when you first lose sanity and will tilt more and more along with sanity depletion.

CatsPajamas posted:

Good thinking regarding how you're showing off sanity effects. I hope you'll show all of them over the course of the LP. One thing that surprised me in the video was you mentioned these as "now common sanity effects" - have any other games really done sanity effects the way Eternal Darkness does?

I second this. Usually conversations about ED have to do with how unique the sanity effects are. I wasn't aware there were many other games that used them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The only three sanity effects I can remember for sure are the blood dripping from various things at high levels and at lower levels bugs will appear to be crawling around and the heads of statues will turn to stare at you as you walk past.

e: The statue heads thing floored me as a kid. I had actual nightmares the night after I noticed.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 5, 2014

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I won't spoil them but there are some that are actually foreshadowing for things that happen to the character, also, it might be my eyes playing tricks on me but was the ghoulish looking dude who talked to Elia, and gave her the heart, was that the character I think we play next, or am I seeing poo poo, because it really looked like him

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

JackNapier posted:

I won't spoil them but there are some that are actually foreshadowing for things that happen to the character, also, it might be my eyes playing tricks on me but was the ghoulish looking dude who talked to Elia, and gave her the heart, was that the character I think we play next, or am I seeing poo poo, because it really looked like him

No spoilers are necessary. He was a character (an Egyptian, I believe) that was cut from the final release of the game. Originally you were supposed to play as him the first time through the level, and then as Ellia the second time.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love this game, eager to see it played through if for no other reason than to bask in the schaedenfreude of someone else fighting against the awkward camera angles in certain levels.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
It's also worth mentioning this began life as a Nintendo 64 game, and there's plenty of footage of it, though I'd avoid it for now due to potential spoilers as not all that much changed besides additional characters and the obvious graphical bump.

Really glad to finally see an lp of this, it's been long overdue. One of my all time favorite cult classics. Perfect atmosphere and some seriously good writing, with sound design and voice acting to complement it. One of the most unique and fully realized games you will ever play. It's remarkably well put together.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
The Sanity Effects that always really messed with me when I played this game were the ones that hosed with me as the player, and not the characters, I can't actually count the number of times I thought there were actually bugs on my screen. There were characters cut from the game? Please tell more :allears:

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Real hurthling! posted:

\/[@___@]\/

I like this game as a game for the same reason I like Mirror's Edge and Beyond Good and Evil. ED is not a perfect game (slow characters and slow backtracking don't mix well) but it showed a good deal of promise. ED introduced novel ideas with a strong story and strong gameplay. True, there's is a deal of repetition in the game but the gameplay is still solid. The player repeats a lot, but the repeats aren't themselves broken. Small problems like these could be fixed with a sequel. I like sequels that improve on the original, that take what was good about the original and work out the problems rather than just adding more elements to the game. I saw ED as a game that could do just that. So, when I played this game again a few years ago, I did recognize the problems, but I also started to think about how to realistically fix those problems, and I remembered what I like about original titles.

Another part I like of this game is the repetition of Alex raising her head after reading a chapter. That animation became a running joke for me.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
As far as sanity effects in other games, I admit that I haven't played any other games with them, but I feel like I keep hearing about horror games from the last few years trying to ape Eternal Darkness by messing with the interface in similar ways and including a sanity meter.

Also, regarding the blood effect in the video, I wanted to point that out, but I didn't want to overlap with the in-game text box that was up. It was just a problem with timing.

Also also, link to the second video, as requested]. I'll keep that in mind for the future. This is my first LP on the SA forums, so thanks all for your patience!

NineWheels fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 5, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Neruz posted:

It's important to remember that this game seemed a lot more amazing when it was released; unfortunately Eternal Darkness hasn't aged very well.

I would say the parts of the game that were good have aged well, but the games flaws have aged terribly now that more solid games have been released in the genre.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is the game just... not scary?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This is like the only horror-esque game I've ever wanted to buy, mostly because of the sanity meter which sounded cool. Never did get it though, which is too bad. I've seen some gameplay and it looked neat, and I'll be glad to see fully what I missed.

I must say though, the graphics haven't aged well. Also Lich Augustus looks like a cool villain, but he sure doesn't act like it. Might just be the VA, I dunno.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

anilEhilated posted:

I think this now about John Carpenters: The Thing. You've probably become desensitized to it because, let's face it, big faceless tentacle horrors with too many eyes and mouths have become a cliche monster nowadays.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also the game isn't so much frightening as it is deeply, deeply unsettling. There weren't many instances where I was genuinely scared when I played Eternal Darkness but I was super paranoid by the end.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

I must say though, the graphics haven't aged well. Also Lich Augustus looks like a cool villain, but he sure doesn't act like it. Might just be the VA, I dunno.

I think they still look great, but to each his own. I'd say it's because it started its life as an N64 game, but so did Dinosaur Planet and that game still looks awesome. As far as Augustus is concerned, I like the idea of somebody with eternal life quietly manipulating things from behind the scenes over the course of thousands of years to achieve his goals. My only complaint is that he isn't very fleshed out, but nobody really is in this game and they don't need to be.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Veyrall posted:

I think this now about John Carpenters: The Thing. You've probably become desensitized to it because, let's face it, big faceless tentacle horrors with too many eyes and mouths have become a cliche monster nowadays.

Also there haven't been any jump scares yet. Unfortunately most horror games use those to be "scary". Only the really good horror games (like Siren IIRC) don't use those as a crutch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

My only complaint is that he isn't very fleshed out

:rimshot:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I think they still look great, but to each his own.

It might just be the videos, but for instance I couldn't really see the details on those wall paintings like the one depicting Augustus killing Khmer gods and such in the temple.

Something tells me that if this game was made today it would just be full on Cthulu Mythos. It's cool that they made their own.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mehuyael posted:

It might just be the videos, but for instance I couldn't really see the details on those wall paintings like the one depicting Augustus killing Khmer gods and such in the temple.

Something tells me that if this game was made today it would just be full on Cthulu Mythos. It's cool that they made their own.

The video is definitely washed out compared to the actual game.

As for jump scares, I only remember one in this game being actually effective, and it's a doozy. I cannot wait until we reach it. :allears:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

anilEhilated posted:

I guess it's a matter of taste and perspective - I'm finding it that so far there's a pretty good foreboding atmosphere around the magic system, even healing yourself is drawing upon these forbidden powers beyond the ken of mere mortals. It's not a relaxing sound that plays, and those aren't reassuring runes that appear when you top up your health bar, almost making one think if it's not such a good idea to be using the magic in the first place.

I'm enjoying the LP! I'm looking forward to the often-mentioned sanity effects being shown.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 5, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

That's just it, the game isn't all that scary (with exceptions here and there), but the atmosphere of the game is rather creepy and unsettling. The problem is that the latter element is often lost on an LP.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
To be fair most "scary" games aren't all that scary. Horror games are one of the few types of games where the environment you're playing in is essential to the effect. I haven't played many but you gotta be alone and in the dark with the sound cranked for maximum discomfort. Regardless, few things in the horror medium are scary while you're experiencing them. It's after the fact, after you've stopped and your mind takes over where the fright comes from.

Polaron posted:

The video is definitely washed out compared to the actual game.

I actually was going to comment on this. Is there anything TC can do on his end to help with this? Everything else about the presentation thus far is perfect but it was hard to see what was happening in some of the more detailed parts.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Polaron posted:

As for jump scares, I only remember one in this game being actually effective, and it's a doozy. I cannot wait until we reach it. :allears:
I'm watching this LP pretty much for this, assuming we are thinking of the same thing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LashLightning posted:

I guess it's a matter of taste and perspective - I'm finding it that so far there's a pretty good foreboding atmosphere around the magic system, even healing yourself is drawing upon these forbidden powers beyond the ken of mere mortals. It's not a relaxing sound that plays, and those aren't reassuring runes that appear when you top up your health bar, almost making one think if it's not such a good idea to be using the magic in the first place.

That is because it really isn't a good idea at all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It doesn't help that health is a Chattur'gha spell. He's not exactly a friendly dude.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
Yeah, sorry about the slightly muddy video quality, everyone. I'm not positive what it is, but I'm going to try to correct it in future. My best guess would be it having something to do with me setting the brightness too high in-game, but it does look a bit better viewed in Final Cut, so maybe I'm not exporting the video optimally.

Edit: The muddiness is being caused by the filter I put on the footage to lower the brightness of the footage. So basically, neither alternative looks that great. I'll have a fix for this problem in the next few days, along with update #3.

NineWheels fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 6, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Neruz posted:

That is because it really isn't a good idea at all.

They really messed up by not attaching some sort of penalty to using magick in this game. It would have made it so much more interesting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

They really messed up by not attaching some sort of penalty to using magick in this game. It would have made it so much more interesting.

the penalty is running in a circle until you get enough mana to cast again.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Kurieg posted:

It doesn't help that health is a Chattur'gha spell. He's not exactly a friendly dude.

Can you say that about ANY of them though?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Considering he kept the rest of them locked up, Mantorok seemed pretty okay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Considering he kept the rest of them locked up, Mantorok seemed pretty okay.

"Yoth-Sothoth is really quite a splendid fellow, not a yokel like Shub-Niggurath! And don't let me get started on Nyarlathotep's taste in music!"

For some reason I'm really not buying into a Lovecraftian elder horror doing this for the goodness of its hearts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, he was serving as a fertility god to the Khmer, and keeping the other 3 gods bound and away from humanity before Pious screwed everything up.

Sure now he's probably all about revenge but unfortunately this game has a pretty interesting backstory that we don't get much insight into. Like the 5th yellow god that is supposed to be in the game but isn't.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm guessing he's a nice guy in the way that he isn't actively trying to gently caress Earth and humanity over, as per standard Lovecraftian benevolence.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Real hurthling! posted:

the penalty is running in a circle until you get enough mana to cast again.

Just cast the restore spell with Ulyoth as the base rune :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Velocity Raptor posted:

Just cast the restore spell with Ulyoth as the base rune :pseudo:

That works (not sure because of the choice of emote)? Makes me imagine that the Ulyoth rune is a late-game thing if true.

• Locked thread