Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I'm going to hope that Hugo is fully aware of what Miuscha and Cadena were trying to do, and is having none of it. A cool, collected and professional protagonist who has no time for half baked romantic overtures on this rescue mission in the middle of incredibly hostile territory? What a breath of fresh air that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shardix posted:

I'm going to hope that Hugo is fully aware of what Miuscha and Cadena were trying to do, and is having none of it. A cool, collected and professional protagonist who has no time for half baked romantic overtures on this rescue mission in the middle of incredibly hostile territory? What a breath of fresh air that would be.

This is getting into spoiler territory a bit, but Hugo's approach to the mission is anything but professional.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Shardix posted:

I was going to make a joke but at this point all of them would be spoilery so let's just say 'This is Ys' and leave it at that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If the shield doesn't work on the bubbles on hard, how are you supposed to get through them?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The shield does work on them regardless of difficulty, I'm pretty sure. I think the way it works is that the bubbles instantly disappear when they take wind-elemental damage, so since Hugo's shield does wind damage on contact it just wipes them out without breaking itself. The same is true for Yunica's whirlwind attack, but Toddy decided to just jump over the bubbles instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have to admit, I laughed like crazy the second time you fell off the boss's arms trying to finish it off. But you made it in the end.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

a cartoon duck posted:

Toddy decided to just jump over the bubbles instead.

This I can't explain. Maybe throwbacks to Oath in Felghana make me do this I have no idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Grimthwacker posted:

Why doesn't Hugo-san realize Miuscha-chan likes him uguu~

Personally I hope he does realize, he just doesn't care. It would make me like him 100% more.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Hugo goes where no Yunica has gone yet. We also discuss bats, necromancers and assorted skeletons.

Piss boy.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I'm always surprised by how much swearing there is in this game's localization. Ys always struck me as aimed at the teen market, so it's a bit odd to see characters saying "poo poo" and "goddamn" all over the place.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm always surprised by how much swearing there is in this game's localization. Ys always struck me as aimed at the teen market, so it's a bit odd to see characters saying "poo poo" and "goddamn" all over the place.

teenagers are known for being offended at curse words

Also I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure most PC gamers are adults so the audience for the localization would be the same. It is kinda anomalous though, since none of the other Ys games or Trails are swear happy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For me, swearing is less about being offensive and more about tone and consistency. Something that's supposed to be generally light and rompy tends to butt heads with foul mouthed dialogue when there's a more creative way to convey the same emotions (I haven't watched this episode yet, so I don't know which it really is here).

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Lotish posted:

For me, swearing is less about being offensive and more about tone and consistency. Something that's supposed to be generally light and rompy tends to butt heads with foul mouthed dialogue when there's a more creative way to convey the same emotions (I haven't watched this episode yet, so I don't know which it really is here).
This game (and Hugo's story in particular, as we've already seen and will continue to see) is neither light nor rompy, terrible shoehorned MAYBE SENPAI WILL NOTICE ME subplot notwithstanding.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I personally think the swearing fits in with Hugo's overly cocky attitude. But hey I'm also the kind of person who drops curse words in place of words like "very" so what do I know?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the localization based on a fan translation? Seems like the kind of gimmick people'd give to to emphasise how "rough" and "spirited" a character Epona is supposed to be.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 22, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I loved Hugo's "Don't mind me, please do continue." :allears:

His poo poo-eating grin when telling Epona to either go one more round or get out now was also great.

Speaking of the end though, he could have done a better job. Hugo could have made at least a half-hearted "so here's an idea, stop trying to kill me, I'll stop trying to kill you" / "So, wanna make out now?" It wouldn't have worked, but it would at least have been theoretically more helpful than "get lost or I'll kill you".

This is on Steam, so how does this game control with keyboard and mouse, by the way? EDIT: Oh, there's a demo on Steam. I can see for myself.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Vaguillion does the flamethrower when you're not in a fairly narrow cone in front of him AND not riiight up in his grill. Sometimes he cares more about the cone than the distance. He's a jerk.

Hugo is also a jerk. They're made for each other.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This is on Steam, so how does this game control with keyboard and mouse, by the way? EDIT: Oh, there's a demo on Steam. I can see for myself.

I beat all 3 routes of the game with a keyboard, so it's definitely feasible. Especially on normal.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

You know, a lot of talk about how lovely Vaguillion is has been going down, and Toddy's mentioned once or twice in the videos how bad he is in the original Ys I. Well, with his permission, I'd like to show you the Ys I boss fight. Turns out he's not really all that different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MAlA6cjMI

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bathroomrage posted:

You know, a lot of talk about how lovely Vaguillion is has been going down, and Toddy's mentioned once or twice in the videos how bad he is in the original Ys I. Well, with his permission, I'd like to show you the Ys I boss fight. Turns out he's not really all that different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MAlA6cjMI

That's the remake. Try this one. Basically a series of 30 or so coin flips, with two tails meaning you restart.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Discendo Vox posted:

That's the remake. Try this one. Basically a series of 30 or so coin flips, with two tails meaning you restart.

That looks absurdly infuriating, jesus. Bitchin' music though, in the finest Ys tradition.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Discendo Vox posted:

Which remake is that version, exactly? I can only find the bump-n-grind remake of Ys I & II that Toddy already played, not the version featuring Felghana/Napishtim gameplay.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Invenerable posted:

Which remake is that version, exactly? I can only find the bump-n-grind remake of Ys I & II that Toddy already played, not the version featuring Felghana/Napishtim gameplay.

There's no version like that, bathroomrage did that thing called a joke.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

There's no version like that, bathroomrage did that thing called a joke.

Trust me, Vaguillion is no joke. I know I made him look pretty easy, but like Discendo Vox said, he's essentially a coinflip! Especially for poor Hugo, if you haven't caught on to turn dash-all-the-time you're in for a world of hurt.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
When I started Ys 1 (shortly after the remake release on steam), I decided my first run would be on Nightmare, so I could get as many achievements as possible. Guess where I've been stuck ever since?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Freshly baked updates!

Yunica takes on the Flooded Prison. There's water and stuff!

Also on the topic of the Vagullion fight you haven't suffered until you've fought him on a pre-Eternal version of the game where colliding with him didn't bounce you off. You could get stuck inside and when he reformed he instakilled you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Funny, I never somehow made the association that the flooded prison is a water zone and should therefore have been terrible. Except for one mildly irritating bit later, I liked it at least more than a couple of the upcoming zones. Go figure!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

I dunno about toddy, but I'm just going to stay silent about what the worst area is.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The worst area in the game is just about halfway through.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Ok that's the second dungeon down. The game gives us a taste of what it's capable of and throws a clusterfuck at us.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 29, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh boy, this boss!

He would be the worst boss in the game if I wouldn't know that the worse is yet to come.

I also thought Yunica is better at this boss than the rest because she can hit him while he is on the wall, while the others cannot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC, Hugo can do it with his lightning spell, with a bit of creative charging and jumping. I really like that ability, it got me through most of his run; I can see why you'd consider it lovely though.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Honestly the Hugo's lightning magic is his best one which is kind of saying a lot. At first glance you would think it's his fire magic but the fire magic has a really annoying property that's easier to show than explain.

Rin
Sep 30, 2005

Cops--the most annoying fleshy ones of all.
So how often does the Mask of Eyes actually get used in this game? Do I need to check every room or are there usually signs to point out when to use it? This game looks really fun but I'd rather not have to clear out the enemies and put the mask on in every room.

Enjoying the LP so far, keep it up!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Rin posted:

So how often does the Mask of Eyes actually get used in this game? Do I need to check every room or are there usually signs to point out when to use it? This game looks really fun but I'd rather not have to clear out the enemies and put the mask on in every room.

It's used about twice. Both times you need it, there's a symbol (a filled in circle, I believe) to indicate something's odd here.

Rin
Sep 30, 2005

Cops--the most annoying fleshy ones of all.

SorataYuy posted:

It's used about twice. Both times you need it, there's a symbol (a filled in circle, I believe) to indicate something's odd here.

Excellent, that's great to hear. That could have potentially been a very annoying item.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Ugh, that blasted bug. Easily one of my stumbling blocks. Took me a couple of tries to sort everything out while fighting it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's pretty telling that Hugo, the prodigy mage, has pretty universally lovely magic. He's really good on account of being a ranged character in a Ys game, but he's pretty boring and feels buggy. Yunica feels way more fluid and fun to play even if she's by far the worst character effectiveness-wise.

Also, the bug was hard, but as Yunica I definitely always had the most trouble with a later boss.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

SorataYuy posted:

Close, it's a stylized eye so it really should be fairly obvious when you see it :v: This was definitely my least favorite boss when I played the game for the first time as Yunica, cause I was dumb and didn't think about the lightning magic hitting it on the wall until the third attempt in. After that with the other two characters I actually had a lot of fun with it. I like the idea of destroying a bunch of smaller portions on a boss (though I think a later boss does this in a really annoying way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Rin posted:

I think you use the mask a total of three times. I'll count along anyways just to be sure. The points where you're supposed to use them are marked by a similar symbol to the one you see in the Wailing Blue, but they're a bit smaller and not as obvious.
Really though when I first played through the game years back I missed the later two until I realized I was missing important things at various points. You'll see what I mean later.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's pretty telling that Hugo, the prodigy mage, has pretty universally lovely magic. He's really good on account of being a ranged character in a Ys game, but he's pretty boring and feels buggy.

There's a couple fun things you can do with Hugo that mostly involve trivializing some bosses. After the Hugo playthrough is complete (and if I remember/have the time) I'll record some fun things - you'll see. :shobon:

• Locked thread