Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Captain Bravo posted:

So when are we going to get our first look at the third party member? After the Yunica run? I've got a couple ideas who it might be, but the anticipation is killing me! :v:

It'll happen once the Yunica playthrough is done which might be in a couple months time. I hate to put something so cool off until so late but you really need to see at least one full playthrough before you play as the third character. Not to mention running three runs simultaneously would destroy my brain.

Come to think of it I still need to finish my Yunica Nightmare run I've been doing on the side to prepare for postgame stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

Something doesn't look right...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She's not the most interesting character in the world in most respects, but I did like Yunica's "gently caress your magic, I lift" taunt.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Captain Bravo posted:

So when are we going to get our first look at the third party member? After the Yunica run? I've got a couple ideas who it might be, but the anticipation is killing me! :v:

To unlock mystery third character you have to beat the game as Yunica and Hugo first, so probably not for a while.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Mico posted:

To unlock mystery third character you have to beat the game as Yunica and Hugo first, so probably not for a while.

Actually you unlock the third character for just beating the game once, as either Yunica or Hugo, I'm pretty sure.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Sgt Thud posted:

Actually you unlock the third character for just beating the game once, as either Yunica or Hugo, I'm pretty sure.

You have to beat the game with either Yunica or Hugo. After that, you can move onto the third character's story mode.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

Variant_Eris posted:

You have to beat the game with either Yunica or Hugo. After that, you can move onto the third character's story mode.

To unlock the third story mode you have to beat the game while eating a gummy worm the size of your entire arm.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Re: unlocking 3rd character - In every version since the complete package came out (Win7, extras disc in the install) you only needed to complete one character to unlock the third. Originally you needed to complete both.

Also have another two videos.

The rest of Rado's Annex / Silent Sands. Next time we challenge the Blighted Blood. It's full of blood! BLOOOOOOD!

Oh yeah I lied about that thing I said at the start of episode 13 and that's terrible.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 5, 2015

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
gently caress that stupid flower tentacle thing. It was terrible fighting the first time, it's still terrible all other times.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That boss looked horrendously unfun :gonk:

The next floors are blood-themed? Metal as hell, unless we get some guts-themed floors thereafter?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Should I go up another level from you if I'm on Nightmare?

This Sorcerer guy is dumb as hell for a character like Yunica, I'd rather fight the Centipede again.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I hate the boss of the Sifting Sands so much that when i was first playing the game as Yunica i had to stop and look up how to fight it because i thought i was doing something wrong when he had all the hp i just did to him restored.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Holy poo poo, I brought him below half and he became basically impossible for me to attack without getting hit. There was more poo poo on the screen than Galbalan.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I'm glad the consensus is "gently caress Khlonsclard". Cool.

Bellmaker posted:

The next floors are blood-themed? Metal as hell, unless we get some guts-themed floors thereafter?

YOU HAVE ENTERED THE SKELETON ZONE

Justin_Brett posted:

Should I go up another level from you if I'm on Nightmare?

Sure, no harm no foul.

Justin_Brett posted:

Holy poo poo, I brought him below half and he became basically impossible for me to attack without getting hit. There was more poo poo on the screen than Galbalan.

If Khlonsclard is attacking you need to retreat back to beside him and lay some smackdown until he stops bugging you.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I meant the sorcerer guy, I'm still stuck on him. I feel like they didn't intend him to be this much of an rear end, since he's only a miniboss according to the soundtrack.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
That fight is miserable on Nightmare. Either get a level or two in the previous rooms (not too painful) but still that boss will take a while. You just have to be patient and pick your fights.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like just setting aside an hour and shooting him with charged fire, it'd be less painful than fighting him how they intended.

Got him, I got super lucky and he teleported inside the statues while they were doing the fire or lightning ball moves.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 5, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Fighting Khlonsclard is the equivalent of removing your brain and stuffing it in the nearest electrical outlet. I'd go as far as to say that it's like trying to fight an inferno with a grill and a lit birthday candle.

Worst boss fight in Ys Origins, hands down.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 5, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

toddy. posted:

Now I want fanart of Hugo saying, "Welcome to the Bone Zone" :v:

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I tried beating all the bosses on Nightmare without overleveling but Khlonsclard was where I said "gently caress it" and just grinded 2 levels. I don't mind dying a million times if the boss is fun but fighting Khlonsclard feels like a chore.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
To be perfectly honest there's a number of bosses in this game that are just pointlessly oppressive on nightmare mode. I said it earlier in the thread but I really do prefer Oath in Felghana simply thanks to the boss design being better in Oath. If we could get Oath bosses in Ys Origin dungeon design that would be sweet. At least neither game is Ys VI so I should just bite my tongue. You will hear my groans in the nightmare run later this year.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah I just got to Khlonsclard and he's loving dreadful. I hated some bosses in Oath but at least they weren't dull, he totally is. What's a good level for him on Nightmare? I'm at 33.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

toddy. posted:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Baldurk is now back to archiving LP threads and the Ys IV thread is live on there now. Check it out

More videos will come later in the week. I have the entirety of the Blighted Blood recorded just gotta do some commentary when it's not horribly hot in here where I need 3 fans running in the background.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

toddy. posted:

Baldurk is now back to archiving LP threads and the Ys IV thread is live on there now. Check it out

Thank you again for all your... Ysing? Ys-mas?

quote:

More videos will come later in the week. I have the entirety of the Blighted Blood recorded just gotta do some commentary when it's not horribly hot in here where I need 3 fans running in the background.

That said, I currently hate you.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Bellmaker posted:

Same here.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Bellmaker posted:

Thank you again for all your... Ysing? Ys-mas?

That’s still 10 degrees better than here.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014
I've beaten this game on Nightmare three times and I never knew that you could stun Khlonsclard. :suicide:

Though maybe that was for the best since at least you're dodging things during the fight which keeps things interesting. Fighting him while stunning him seems to make the fight incredibly boring since he just sits there and does nothing.
I agree that I prefer the Oath bosses. A lot of bosses in Origin seem to have this crazy obsession with healing themselves which can get really tedious sometimes.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I ground up to 34 and I still can't kill him. He does no damage to me at all, and I still eventually die. There's just no way to deal with six of them.

Why did they make them come back after a while? That's bullshit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's... that's certainly a name for a boss. Can't wait to see Hugo take it on.

Also it's interesting how much more Feena tells Yunica.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Justin_Brett posted:

I ground up to 34 and I still can't kill him. He does no damage to me at all, and I still eventually die. There's just no way to deal with six of them.

Why did they make them come back after a while? That's bullshit.

Khlonsclard (amongst many of the other bosses in this game) are bullshit and poorly designed, welcome to Ys Origin.
The boss is marked to Lv 32 so Lv 34 is plenty overleveled. I don't know what else to say.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Picked this up to play along with the LP and I have to ask... how the devil do you avoid the second boss's claw swipe (Yunica's path). It covers most of the screen and I don't have nearly enough time to get out of range unless I'm already well away.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Picked this up to play along with the LP and I have to ask... how the devil do you avoid the second boss's claw swipe (Yunica's path). It covers most of the screen and I don't have nearly enough time to get out of range unless I'm already well away.

You can use the wind magic to propel yourself away faster, and I think you can hide under his other arm?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sgt Thud posted:

and I think you can hide under his other arm?

Unfortunately not.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I bought this game to play along with the thread how do I do something already covered in a video?
Guys I need to know.

At least I'm pretty sure I cover that attack.
I do, right?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

toddy. posted:

I bought this game to play along with the thread how do I do something already covered in a video?
Guys I need to know.

You cheat. And you cheat even more.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

BLOOD

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I love that almost every screen in the Blighted Blood fits on an 80s metal album. I'm pretty sure you've covered this before but is there a reason you're not upgrading your armor? When i was going through the game on hard recently i found myself needing the extra defense compared to my last run on normal.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Smornstein posted:

I'm pretty sure you've covered this before but is there a reason you're not upgrading your armor?

I don't need the extra points of defense right now, I'm just hoarding points for MP/Magic and Boost upgrades later in the game. My reasoning for this will become more relevant when we reach the last dungeon. You can buy armor upgrades if you're getting beaten up a bunch, no harm there.
Unless you're on nightmare difficulty. I can't recommend armor upgrades on nightmare mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I picked this game up because of the Oath in Felghana LP (also because of being a Ys fan who loved the SNES versions music) and this LP has helped me quite a bit on my run through of the game.
Mainly the alternative controller setup to charge magic while doing other things and the weird engine tidbits with enemy and Hugo/Yunica's attacks.

I didn't find the Silent Sands so much of a slog as Hugo except for the Evil Ring skeletons. Which I could forgive because Rado's Annex has good music.
I almost beat Khlonsclard without realizing you could stun the body just by attacking it a bunch. Made that fight a lot easier.

And then I got to the Burning Blood and got through it in one sitting because it's like Valestein castle all over again and 'yeaaaaaah I'm pumped killing all these dudes while rockin' out~'
I'm not sure how well I'd hold up on Hard but on Normal I find Hugo's fire magic to be pretty awesome for dealing with Shrimps and the Electric fish. Mainly because the orbiting eyes tend to hitstun everything hitstunnable so I'd just run around like a maniac in the face of everything and switch to mines when I felt I needed to be more evasive/had a turret to own with one.

Defense is mainly valuable to help with the love-taps you get while going through dungeons/from bosses you're still learning. Not getting hit is the ultimate defense (although getting hit charges Boost faster.)

E: Oh right, Dallas. Dallas is my favorite type of villian: He has his reasons for doing what he's doing, he doesn't feel the need to tell you them, he doesn't do things just for :moreevil: and his antagonism is fairly passive. Yunica/Hugo are doing what they want/have to do and he seems to respect that.
Not stopping him from hinting things and being a snakey snake though.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 12, 2015

• Locked thread