Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

whatis posted:

i have seasons 1-9 on dvd and watch them every night while i go to bed. i have been doing this for going on 8 years now.
haha i thought i was the only one.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I tapped out during season 10.

Homer never went to Rock Camp.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Manifest posted:

I tapped out during season 10.

Homer never went to Rock Camp.

I saw that episode recently and thought it was absolute shite but the credits showed Mick and the others laughing and having fun and that made me hate it less.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
im gonna start watching once season 15 kicks in

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The fact that Hank Scorpio has never returned to the Simpsons shows how bad the show is now.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The fact that Hank Scorpio has never returned to the Simpsons shows how bad the show is now.

I don't think the current batch of writers are old enough to know what James Bond is so they would gently caress it all up

Also wasn't the original screenplay for the movie slated to have Scorpio as the villain but it got nixed for some reason?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

I don't think the current batch of writers are old enough to know what James Bond is so they would gently caress it all up

Also wasn't the original screenplay for the movie slated to have Scorpio as the villain but it got nixed for some reason?

They had been talking about doing a movie since probably 1991, so who knows.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mmm... zompsons...

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Those of us Internet-Old enough to remember Usenet recall that the Simpsons has been pegged as being "terrible and lovely unlike the old days" literally since Season 4, if not Season 3. The first instance of someone on the Internet calling it the "Worst Episode Ever" dates to 1992.

I will grant that the "lovely unlike the old days" thing has not continued progressing, and pretty much nobody seems to argue that it was still amazing past the 1990s, which is what they have been saying for about a decade now. But dude, that is still a lot of great episodes.

I am not going to claim there is any way the quality of, say, Season 20 is the same as Season whatever, but those rare times I end up watching the show it is still funny. Is it the funniest thing ever? No. But so what?

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

Quarex posted:

Those of us Internet-Old enough to remember Usenet recall that the Simpsons has been pegged as being "terrible and lovely unlike the old days" literally since Season 4, if not Season 3. The first instance of someone on the Internet calling it the "Worst Episode Ever" dates to 1992.

I will grant that the "lovely unlike the old days" thing has not continued progressing, and pretty much nobody seems to argue that it was still amazing past the 1990s, which is what they have been saying for about a decade now. But dude, that is still a lot of great episodes.

I am not going to claim there is any way the quality of, say, Season 20 is the same as Season whatever, but those rare times I end up watching the show it is still funny. Is it the funniest thing ever? No. But so what?
The distinction, as I see it, is that people who say Seasons 4-9 suck are a tiny, insignificant minority made up of alcoholics, angry loners, and the unemployable - who don't like anything. Now, however, pretty much everyone agrees that the Simpsons sucks.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quarex posted:

post's a bit self-defeating. so what indeed

fart

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Quarex posted:

i, for one, am glad that seasons 3-9 weren't much like seasons 1-2. those two, especially season 1, were objectively bad and not funny.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Torka posted:

http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

pro read if you're interested in behind the scenes info about how and why it got so bad so fast

long tho

this is indeed a pro click if you care at all about this. not only is it filled with interesting info, the writing's good.

dude is talking about what might happen after the simpsons finally stops being produced, and points out how Mickey and Bugs are still getting timeslots 50+ years later. Then he says, and I quote:

"There’s nothing stopping the Simpsons characters from following the footsteps of the mouse and the hare into indefinite cartoon Valhalla."

Look at that sentence. LOOK AT IT. It's a work of art I tell you.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

i, for one, am glad that seasons 3-9 weren't much like seasons 1-2. those two, especially season 1, were objectively bad and not funny.

Season 2 was good. Season 9 was bad.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

what I saw of season 2 was pretty great. I love how twisted and mean spirited the town seems in contrast to the family friendly tv that was specifically in vogue at the time

Season 1 is def awkward and skippable though

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

season 2 was better than 1, but still bad

season 9 was when it was stumbling a little but still had good episodes. compare to season 22 or something, where every character is an unfunny parody of themselves and the plots make no sense except for ways to shoehorn in celebrity guest appearances and irrelevant out-of-date pop culture references

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com
I gotta disagree. I think Season 1 is really great. It's humor is very understated, but definitely present and intentional. I've found it to get more funny over the years, as I became more familiar with the characters on a deeper level. I think most true die hard fans who have seen every episode from Seasons 1-9 at least 100 times each would agree with me.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Does anyone else get the sensation of having to go get ready for bed when the Gracie films production sting plays because after two episodes I felt exhausted

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Season 12 is good

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I'm house sitting for my sister, and she got the most basic cable package she could, so no FXX. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Recently she was mentioning that she'd been watching The Simpsons, and that she forgot how clever and funny it really is! I don't know if she was watching old reruns or what, or if she now loves unfunny poo poo.

What season was the one where Homer got raped by a panda? That was basically the beginning of the end, wasn't it?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

season 2 was better than 1, but still bad

Allow me to present my rebuttal:

Season 2 was great

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if you think season 2 sucked you need to rewatch it, a lot of the jokes are great. season 3-9, best seasons. the one where homer gets a gun is top 10.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Pon de Bundy posted:

if you think season 2 sucked you need to rewatch it, a lot of the jokes are great. season 3-9, best seasons. the one where homer gets a gun is top 10.

"Where is Otis, he's not in his cell..."
"I SHOT HIM."
"Whaaa?!"
"Now I'm going over to Emmett's Fix It, to "fix" Emmett."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

started watching it from the beginning at my own leisure, had to skip the first two seasons because of the animation and homer sounding weird, but also it wasn't funny.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I love the season 1 episode where Marge goes bowling and almost has an affair. That one is really well done. The rest are pretty lackluster to say the least.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i am going to be a professional simpsons connoisseur

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
The Armin Tamzarian episode came out almost 20 years ago. Goddamn I'm old

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

That article hits it right on the head. I'm guessing a lot of people who say Seasons 1 & 2 were terrible don't remember the boring poo poo that was 80's network television. The only thing I can recall from then that wasn't some rehashed family sitcom/law show/detective show was Star Trek: The Next Generation, and even that show had a bunch of the lovely moralising other TV shows had.

I remember the exact point where I had completely given up on the show. It was the 300th episode, and all the advertising was centered around GUEST STAR TONY HAWK. I had a feeling it was going downhill, but that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

That was eleven loving years ago, too. :psyduck:

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 25, 2014

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

are they ever gonna release seasons 1-9 on blu-ray? i'd pay good money for that as long as they just cleaned it up a bit and didn't reanimate the whole thing in their weird baby's first flash animation artstyle

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I never actually really understood why people so fiercely hate the armin tamzarian episode (aside from the fact that in retrospect yeah it's a turning point)

my problem with the season 10 and on episodes of the simpsons is that they're just not funny and I remember that one being pretty funny, maybe I need to rewatch it I haven't seen it since I was like 13

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That Zombie Simpsons article does a better job explaining why the classic seasons were great than it does explaining the why behind the decline. Like it states Phil Hartman's death as a major reason, as if losing two secondary characters out of this huge cast was really that important (though of course those two characters were awesome). It also for whatever reason cites 'Marge Be Not Proud' as a major point of decline because they claim it isn't "subversive." First, so? Lots of episodes weren't, and second, it IS subversive when compared to typical sitcoms because most sitcoms would focus on the fact that Bart stole something, whereas in this episode the conflict is that Marge feels like she has lost Bart as a son and given up on him, not that he stole and had to learn a lesson.

Anyways yeah the its crazy that the marathon still has like a week and a half left and the great episodes are already over. I will probably keep it on as background fodder but anything past season 12 is just a mediocre blur to me.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I remember when they had their 100th episode and everyone was like WHOA!!

They had these bumpers, which I mostly just remember because of the "100" with Bart's eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmioLobqHEg

That was twenty years ago :eyepop:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I really like the Zombie Simpsons article although I kind of really disagree with its appraisal of Marge Be Not Proud as a bad episode

Principal and the Pauper was definitely the first really non-good episode to me though it was still way less of a terrible retcon than 90s Grunge Homer

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

daft punk railroad posted:

90s Grunge Homer

I still get genuinely angry about this and I shouldn't because it's a TV show I don't watch but god drat

"Here are some of your no name bands! Sonic Youth... Nine Inch Nails... Hullabalooza?"

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
<------------------

"The Mansion Family" is a season 11 episode and it's pretty good. :unsmith:

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
This show is special. That moment when you're watching Homer trip balls and hang with God and he has FIVE fingers. :stare:

Incredible creativity. I'm thankful FXX ran them and I got to see as many as I did. I saw those when they came out, I'm 27 now, so whatever age that was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm old enough that I started watching The Simpsons when it first ran on the Tracey Ullman show. I remember going to an amusement park in the summer of 91, and literally half the people in this packed park were wearing Simpsons (mostly Bart) t-shirts. It really blows my mind that it's survived for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
One of my first shirts is Bart giving a thumbs-up, saying, "don't have a cow, man!"

I wish I still had it. I also miss the Simpsons/Butterfinger tie-in commercials. Quality 90stalgia there.

edit: oshiii http://shop.fox.com/simpsons-dont-have-a-cow-classic-t-shirt/detail.php?p=366273

• Locked thread