Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Irradiation posted:

The only funny part in this was the shot at Bob's Burgers/Cleveland Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsZbSzMi08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DckGotoquLw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I almost posted that clip instead.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The critic owns and I've been meaning to watch it again its all on YouTube I think or was years ago when I watched it at work

Full of country goodness and green peaness

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

juniperjones posted:

Such a good point. Look at the color palettes, how active Marge's hair animation is in the old one, and the weird wonkiness of the ceiling. I really prefer the old one. It looks cool as gently caress.

HD ruins almost everything.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bro Dad posted:

because now most animation is done with computers by korean sweatshop artists to save money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1iplQQJTo

The new opening sequence was when I finally decided enough was enough and it was worth just considering Simpsons over and dead and gone.

And christ that must have been like 5 years ago at this point, and the show's still loving running.

The most recent episode I watched uhhhh Lisa gets an iPod touch and downloads too many apps and has to work at Apple.

I wasn't even sure if I was supposed to think it was funny. It just kind of... was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I grew up in a household where we had family dinners together every night, but if dinner somehow got delayed or went long, it was okay to go watch the Simpsons reruns which started at 6:30 pm. I saw every new episode live every week starting in Season 2 when I was 5 or 6 years old till my late teens/early 20's where sometimes I didn't have cable. I have continued to watch the new ones on Hulu all the way to the most recent ones.

However, even I couldn't stand that loving Kesha opening. Couldn't loving stand that they did that poo poo. That's when I decided I was allowed to skip an episode once in a while. Everyone has their own breaking point.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mash posted:

Even though new episodes are awful, as a fan of Family Guy and The Simpsons I'm actually looking forward to the hour long crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhcbZmmB0U

Lol did you see that super long and violent and elaborate fight scene? I mean rofl! And they cant say the state name?! ROTFLOL

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A few years ago I started DVRing it during football season and the next day I'd look at the description in the menu and say "nope" and just delete it

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

cheerfullydrab posted:

I grew up in a household where we had family dinners together every night, but if dinner somehow got delayed or went long, it was okay to go watch the Simpsons reruns which started at 6:30 pm. I saw every new episode live every week starting in Season 2 when I was 5 or 6 years old till my late teens/early 20's where sometimes I didn't have cable. I have continued to watch the new ones on Hulu all the way to the most recent ones.
Back in the 90s Simpsons reruns were on at least twice a day including right when my family sat down to have dinner. We all watched it together most nights. My dad loved it just about as much as I did, and my mom while not a huge fan was probably just happy I wasn't watching trash. Even now we'll sometimes happen to catch an episode during dinner time and still enjoy it if its an episode from the 90s or early 2000s.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sashimi posted:

Back in the 90s Simpsons reruns were on at least twice a day including right when my family sat down to have dinner. We all watched it together most nights. My dad loved it just about as much as I did, and my mom while not a huge fan was probably just happy I wasn't watching trash. Even now we'll sometimes happen to catch an episode during dinner time and still enjoy it if its an episode from the 90s or early 2000s.
Yeah we had two episodes a day, 6:30 and 7. Dinner at 6, followed by an hour of the Impson family. 1.5 hours of family togetherness isn't shabby. Thank you, cartoon show that now sucks worse than the second season of F Troop.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Evenings with the Simpsons were also a tradition of my house, and every so often my wife and I watch an episode now and I am all like "I remember when this first aired oh gently caress I'm old"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
now that im older and seeing these episodes again with a new perspective, they were so bad. why did i keep watching for so long? like seasons 2-6 were loving hilarious and then past that it was haha that was funny haha sometimes but most of the time its just a blank stare.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I'm honestly shocked that apparently I was watching it on a mostly-regular basis until Season 14. It was the Frank Grimes Jr. episode that made me realize "holy poo poo this show has gotten unfunny". The few episodes I've seen since then were completely laugh-free.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
lets be clear here though, seasons 2-8 are almost unanimously agreed to be the golden/classic era. If you say 2-6 or something you're short changing two whole seasons of quality. Not that it matters all that much when these episodes make up less than 1/3rd of the total episodes.

Watching season 12 during this marathon was weird for me, I remember watching these episodes when they aired and clinging to a glimmer of hope that the show would return to close to it's original quality. Back then it was still jarring to have gone from "some of the best comedy ever made" to mediocre crap in just 2 seasons. Its staggering to think that I thought the show was nearing its end then, but fourteen years later its still on and still being renewed. I gave up following the show somewhere around season 15.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 27, 2014

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Seasons 1 - 7 aRE THe only ones that exist.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
I think it's like season 11 but the Tomacco episode and the one where bart and homer are carnies are legit good

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

opus111 posted:

Seasons 1 - 7 aRE THe only ones that exist.

this would mean there is no Scorpio

No Scorpio!

NO SCORPIO!

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
yeah like 3-6 are absolute gold, but all the others up to 9 are still pretty good. even 10 has its moments.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Season 11 has, "Valencia? These are juicing oranges!"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
which season had the chili cookoff? That one was a good one

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mash posted:

Even though new episodes are awful, as a fan of Family Guy and The Simpsons I'm actually looking forward to the hour long crossover.

That was funny but only like the first part and only because of family guy jokes. Then it was just all simpson references [gorge, aliens, blah blah].

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Spanish Manlove posted:

which season had the chili cookoff? That one was a good one

Season 8.

The episode I distinctly remember hating and realizing the show was on the downward slide was Bart The Mother, when he accidentally raises those lizards in the eggs from the nest of a bird he killed. Man, I hated that episode so much. My brother still likes to remind me at how angry I got when the episode was finally over. That was in season 10, right?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

That was funny but only like the first part and only because of family guy jokes. Then it was just all simpson references [gorge, aliens, blah blah].

Lol yeah that rape joke was hilarious and not at all out of place

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Mash posted:

I like how Homer doesn't know how to set up a Family Guy joke, so Peter has to do it for him.

Also, is Frank Grimes generally considered to be a low-quality episode? In my little bubble I always thought it was a classic.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

Family Guy is garbage.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
They outsourced animation to Korea from the very start (like everyone else). Some Enchanted Evening is notorious for being the one at the beginning that got redone because it came out so lovely, but I didn't find actual frames of the original version until I looked again just now, courtesy of some blog with annoying text. Daaaamn.

But there are also the frames from later episodes posted before with Bart's mouth on the other side of his head. Smear animation is pretty common,

Not just in The Simpsons but in most cartoons.

Apparently part of the original Some Enchanted Evening is a Season 1 DVD extra, but I don't have that, so maybe everyone else has seen it and I'm just a loser :shrug: (I saw someone say "what happened to the animation?" "now everything is outsourced to Korea" so that made me think of this)

you were warned fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 27, 2014

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

HereComesEverybody posted:

I like how Homer doesn't know how to set up a Family Guy joke, so Peter has to do it for him.

Also, is Frank Grimes generally considered to be a low-quality episode? In my little bubble I always thought it was a classic.

The problem with the Frank Grimes episode is that it was the real start of idiot Homer if not rear end in a top hat/jerkass Homer.

Homer has always been a little dimwitted but had a lot of heart, having him drinking acid and being otherwise cluelessly obnoxious was never really his actual character. In order to show how amazing all his experiences are they went overboard in showing why he didnt deserve any of them compared to Frank Grimes and it never sat right with me.

Its still a good episode but as one of the big early signs of Homer's change into being a prick.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Q8gHQGzOQ

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Hey guys. Remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_6Kp7q5tbA

Remember???

Actually, it's kinda retained more entertainment value than the most recent episode. I watched it on Hulu the other day.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I had originally been a reliable viewer of The Simpsons since the pilot. At some point, I realized the show had been going so extraordinarily downhill for so long that I couldn't be bothered to watch new episodes live anymore, the plan being that I would let a bunch go by then catch up with some binge viewing. A few months ago I had some free time and decided it was time to catch up, so I started looking up episodes to figure out exactly where it was I left off. All I remembered was Bart fleeing something and ending up on a ranch with some old timey wild west type guy, and it was a total poo poo episode. I kept going back year by year, much farther than I expected, until I finally found it, s13e12 February 24, 2002, "The Lastest Gun in the West". Realizing I had 12 years and 260 episodes to catch-up on, I came to the only possible rational decision, "gently caress that."

Having enjoyed The Simpsons so much, and having been a regular viewer for so long, it's kind of weird to realize I'm right at the threshold of never having seen even a single frame of half of the show's episodes, and not caring.

Sensible_Psycho
Sep 8, 2006

Without me, it's just aweso.
That Zombie Simpsons article really opened my eyes. I imagine I've seen at least 95% of all simpsons episodes and it's obvious there has been a decline, but seeing the reasons laid out so clearly, as well as showing what made the early episodes so great in contrast has made me wonder why I've stuck with it.

Being born in 1987, the Simpsons is just something that has always been there. I think I keep watching it through some emotional attachment really, as sad as that sounds. It makes up as many of my early memories as family members do. The article mentions that the simpsons has gotten like an elderly relative with the options to either go really dull or wild and crazy, and I can relate to it in those terms. Like the simpsons keep visiting Grampa so that he feels somewhat loved and they can leave, I keep checking in just because I would be sad to see it gone completely. It's comforting to know that Springfield is still keeping on, although I can also see another opinion that in its current form I could keep it as equally alive for myself by writing my own daily fan fiction and then burning it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nutsngum posted:

The problem with the Frank Grimes episode is that it was the real start of idiot Homer if not rear end in a top hat/jerkass Homer.

Homer has always been a little dimwitted but had a lot of heart, having him drinking acid and being otherwise cluelessly obnoxious was never really his actual character. In order to show how amazing all his experiences are they went overboard in showing why he didnt deserve any of them compared to Frank Grimes and it never sat right with me.

Its still a good episode but as one of the big early signs of Homer's change into being a prick.

I'm peeing on the seat! Give me a raise!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lil mortimer posted:

Family Guy is garbage.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the Frank Grimes episode when I saw it new as a kid but I love it now as an adult, because lazy and undeserving people really DO get rewarded with things they don't deserve, and it was daring for the show to take Homer out of the context of the show and use him as a real example of that.

you were warned posted:

Apparently part of the original Some Enchanted Evening is a Season 1 DVD extra, but I don't have that, so maybe everyone else has seen it and I'm just a loser :shrug: (I saw someone say "what happened to the animation?" "now everything is outsourced to Korea" so that made me think of this)
It is on the Season 1 DVD. It was the first produced episode but ended up being aired as the season finale due to having to be remade. That's why there's a noticeable difference in the quality between it and the previous few episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 27, 2014

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the frank grimes episode is great in a vacuum. if that particular version of homer had disappeared the very next episode and the show went back to what it had been doing so successfully for 8 years, no one would care about it at all. i think the fact that it's so often associated with the downturn of the series as a whole is why it seems to be polarizing, but the episode itself is goddamn hilarious

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the first Simpsons episode I remember being really bad was the one where jockeys turned out to be goblins or whatever

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I think it's kinda funny that the Frank Grimes episode ends with Homer sleep-shouting, "Change the channel, Marge!", followed by "That's our Homer!"

Pretty appropriate in retrospect.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

KoRMaK posted:

I think that the whole special is just going to be Family Guy jokes + Simpsons references and that it wouldn't work the other way around.

NiceGuy posted:

Lol yeah that rape joke was hilarious and not at all out of place

Yeah that was the only joke that I didn't find funny. "hurp durp rape"

lil mortimer posted:

Family Guy is garbage.

IMO Family Guy has only gone up in quality since they came back on the air and for every joke that falls flat, there's enough to carry the rest of each episode.

But then again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the first Simpsons episode I remember being really bad was the one where jockeys turned out to be goblins or whatever

for me it was the one where bart takes care of a bunch of birds eggs and they turn out to be lizards???

also I was probably like 11 years old and that was how I found out about phil hartman's death, by the post-episode memorial in the first lovely simpsons episode I had seen to date. thanks simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched a bunch of season 1, it's still really good. I forgot that Lisa was actually a really funny character. A creepily self-aware 8 year old is a hell of a lot more interesting than an obnoxious proto-tumblrite or whatever she is in the later seasons.

• Locked thread