Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mash posted:

IMO Family Guy has only gone up in quality since they came back on the air and for every joke that falls flat, there's enough to carry the rest of each episode.

But then again

Do you have any examples because I've tried watching it a few times and it is just absolutely terrible in the same ways its always been to me

i am not trying to call you out or troll you or trigger you I am curious if there are good family guy episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Watching the ones I DVR'd.

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

Give me five bees for a quarter, they'd say.

This is the most quotable episode.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 28, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Do you have any examples because I've tried watching it a few times and it is just absolutely terrible in the same ways its always been to me

i am not trying to call you out or troll you or trigger you I am curious if there are good family guy episodes

it was alright before it got canceled

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it was alright before it got canceled

See I read/hear this all the time and I just don't get it because I absolutely cannot watch any of the old Family Guy episodes. They're clunky, the voices are off and I just don't find any of the jokes funny. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not at all holding up current Family Guy as anything but a guilty pleasure but I've just never been able to wrap my head around people preferring the early seasons.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mash posted:

IMO Family Guy has only gone up in quality since they came back on the air and for every joke that falls flat, there's enough to carry the rest of each episode.

But then again
There's been like...a handful of great episodes of Family Guy in the last 10 years, probably less.

I turned the Simpsons marathon back on because there's nothing else on right now and all the episodes they're playing are either lovely or episodes I've never seen. It's past the point of no return.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
My name is Al Borland and I love anime

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's been like...a handful of great episodes of Family Guy in the last 10 years, probably less.

I think he's just talking about American Dad - I haven't watched the latest season yet since gently caress Hulu and cable, but AD is easily where all the talent from Seth's teams went

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

See I read/hear this all the time and I just don't get it because I absolutely cannot watch any of the old Family Guy episodes. They're clunky, the voices are off and I just don't find any of the jokes funny. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not at all holding up current Family Guy as anything but a guilty pleasure but I've just never been able to wrap my head around people preferring the early seasons.

yeah i cant watch the old ones either anymore

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sentient Data posted:

I think he's just talking about American Dad - I haven't watched the latest season yet since gently caress Hulu and cable, but AD is easily where all the talent from Seth's teams went
Even American Dad is hit or miss. Some episodes will be fantastic while others will be total loving duds.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

lil mortimer posted:

Family Guy is garbage.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Sister and I started watching the Simpsons during season 1, we were 8 years old. Now we are both 33 and she still watches it to this day. I've tried asking her why and she just states that she's watched it every Sunday for the last 25 years and that she enjoys watching it. I've tried to watch episodes but it's painful how unfunny the show is.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
famguychat

NiceGuy posted:

I remember watching the old episodes of Family Guy when they came out and thinking they were some of the funniest poo poo I'd ever seen (remember when he tripped and went "aahhhh" for 3 minutes? GOLD) but now they feel they're just not funny or relevant. And yeah, clunky is probably the best way to describe the first few seasons.

Code Jockey posted:

Well, the new seasons all kinda have the same feel to them, so if you've seen a few episodes here and don't like them then odds are none of these choices would probably change your mind.

But some that really stand out as good episodes imo are "Back to the Pilot", "Road to the North Pole", and "Be Careful What You Fish For".

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd say that there's more than just a handful of great episodes, but even in some of the more lacking ones I still get enough laughs to warrant the time spent.

Sentient Data posted:

I too enjoy American Dad and felt that it really found its footing after season 1, but some of the newer episodes have been kind of disappointing, especially whenever Steve sings (which seems to happen a lot more).

Also, I liked The Cleveland Show for what it was (aka Black Family Guy).

tldr; I like fart and puke jokes with references to popular culture

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 28, 2014

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

So that is a "Twist" and was only present in the really early episodes. If you listen to the DVD commentaries, they talk about them a fair amount, I think one snuck into a Season 4 episode and Groening and crew call it out when it shows up. They realized they were stylistically weird early on and tried to stamp them out.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 28, 2014

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Family Gun is fun to watch, I~ don't know why people always need to compare things like this. Proper Simposons is its own class but that doesnt mean FG is bad.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lil mortimer posted:

Family Guy is garbage.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

opus111 posted:

Family Gun is fun to watch, I~ don't know why people always need to compare things like this. Proper Simposons is its own class but that doesnt mean FG is bad.

It's like how Chicago style hot dogs are the best and after you have one nothing else can compare, same thing with watching classic/golden/non-zombie Simpsons

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who generally argues against Family Guy, there are some good post-cancellation episodes. What I hate about Family Guy other than the first three seasons is how downright unnecessarily mean and hateful and misogynistic it is. Like I'm not trying to be a male feminist, but it honestly baffles me that more people haven't caught on to the misogyny in the show. Its very noticeable.

Even South Park, which is generally regarded as more crude, has more heart and never comes across as being made my total assholes.

whatis posted:

the frank grimes episode is great in a vacuum. if that particular version of homer had disappeared the very next episode and the show went back to what it had been doing so successfully for 8 years, no one would care about it at all. i think the fact that it's so often associated with the downturn of the series as a whole is why it seems to be polarizing, but the episode itself is goddamn hilarious

That's true. Although there is a reason behind it, its really the first full-force appearance of "jerkass Homer". I think that was another reason I didn't enjoy it as a kid, Homer was noticeably crude and mean instead of being dumb-but-lovable.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sensible_Psycho posted:

That Zombie Simpsons article really opened my eyes. I imagine I've seen at least 95% of all simpsons episodes and it's obvious there has been a decline, but seeing the reasons laid out so clearly, as well as showing what made the early episodes so great in contrast has made me wonder why I've stuck with it.

I stopped watching in season 15 or so because I'd read a thing online talking about how the show had become "homer does something dumb and there's a celebrity present for some reason" and I said "no way, Simpsons is always mixing it up" and the. The next episode I watched was like, homer gets his head stuck in a jar featuring special guest star the red hot chili peppers and I realized that I wasn't even enjoying it any more.

But not until someone really pointed out why.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sockser posted:

I stopped watching in season 15 or so because I'd read a thing online talking about how the show had become "homer does something dumb and there's a celebrity present for some reason" and I said "no way, Simpsons is always mixing it up" and the. The next episode I watched was like, homer gets his head stuck in a jar featuring special guest star the red hot chili peppers and I realized that I wasn't even enjoying it any more.

"Homer does something dumb" had become the regular plot around season 7. While the show always had celebrity guests, it was maybe once per season, and as a small cameo. Around season 10, celebrities became a central theme.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Sockser posted:

If you could just change, "what I got you gotta get and put it in you," to "what I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you."

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

FogHelmut posted:

"Homer does something dumb" had become the regular plot around season 7. While the show always had celebrity guests, it was maybe once per season, and as a small cameo. Around season 10, celebrities became a central theme.

Springfield is such a shithole yet so many celebrities end up there.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FogHelmut posted:

I was quoting this to post that celebrity guests were always in the Simpsons, just better written, but you're right. There are some episodes with great celebrity guests (monorail is the first off the top of my head) and there were guest cameos that were written as characters (the one where Simpson has hair in S2), but there were also tons of episodes without celebrity guests in the early seasons (unless Hartman counts). That kind of blows my mind because one of my biggest critiques when I watch later season episodes is the laziness of the regular special guest spots.

e: I was a big Simpsons fan as a kid, but I never was the type fan who watched every episode. Might change that now when I get around to getting the FXNow app. Anyway I had a VHS tape that had a few episodes from ~Seasons 4-5 recorded on it, only about five of them. The monorail episode was one of them, and we watched the poo poo out of that one in particular. The monorail episode is regarding to be one of the best episodes of the Simpsons ever, if not the best, so it was really out of luck that out of however many season 1-8 episodes we had recorded that was one of them.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 28, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

facebook jihad posted:

I was quoting this to post that celebrity guests were always in the Simpsons, just better written, but you're right. There are some episodes with great celebrity guests (monorail is the first off the top of my head) and there were guest cameos that were written as characters (the one where Simpson has hair in S2), but there were also tons of episodes without celebrity guests in the early seasons (unless Hartman counts). That kind of blows my mind because one of my biggest critiques when I watch later season episodes is the laziness of the regular special guest spots.

e: I was a big Simpsons fan as a kid, but I never was the type fan who watched every episode. Might change that now when I get around to getting the FXNow app. Anyway I had a VHS tape that had a few episodes from ~Seasons 4-5 recorded on it, only about five of them. The monorail episode was one of them, and we watched the poo poo out of that one in particular. The monorail episode is regarding to be one of the best episodes of the Simpsons ever, if not the best, so it was really out of luck that out of however many season 1-8 episodes we had recorded that was one of them.

Leonard Nimoy was great in the Monorail episode. It wasn't about Homer getting into a dumb adventure with Leonard Nimoy. He was just there in the town being Leonard Nimoy.

The episode I think is the best, Last Exit to Springfield, has Joe Frazier in it. He gives out the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Achievement in the Field of Excellence. And another scene where he beats up Barney at Moe's. Very few lines, very well done, and not at all central to the plot.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
remember when Lisa became a vegetarian and paul mccarthy was there for no reason

that's when she started becoming insufferable

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Baby, I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time,
And maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you.

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you pulled me out of time,
You hung me on the line.
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you.

Baby, I'm a man, maybe I'm a lonely man
Who's in the middle of something
That he doesn't really understand.

Baby, I'm a man,
And maybe you're the only woman who could ever help me.
Baby, won't you help me to understand?
Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh.

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
Oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh,
Oh.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

you don't win friends with salad

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Dennis Eckersley posted:

Springfield is such a shithole yet so many celebrities end up there.

"We visit with heavyweight champion Drederick Tatum, who reminisces about growing up in Springfield."
"That town is a dump! If you ever see me back there you know I really hosed up bad."

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

The Simpsons marathon has been tough to watch, knowing that Dr. Hibbert sexually assaulted a woman in the 1970s.

Uh hee hee hee hee.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

Season 8.

The episode I distinctly remember hating and realizing the show was on the downward slide was Bart The Mother, when he accidentally raises those lizards in the eggs from the nest of a bird he killed. Man, I hated that episode so much. My brother still likes to remind me at how angry I got when the episode was finally over. That was in season 10, right?

plus it was phil hartman's last episode :(

Keith Stack posted:

The Simpsons marathon has been tough to watch, knowing that Dr. Hibbert sexually assaulted a woman in the 1970s.

Uh hee hee hee hee.

hosed up if true

serbp
Nov 30, 2013
someone has probably said this in here already but the best way to end the series was with the behind the laughter episode. imo there were still some good episodes up until that time even if the overall quality of the majority of episodes had declined. i think after i saw the homer becomes a hipster episode is when my desire to live ended

also i loving hate the episode where homer gets a computer and then it turns into a parody of the prisoner

serbp fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 28, 2014

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

it was alright before the gross vomit, gay, and sex jokes

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The most recent season was bad- like really really bad- so bad they made the preceding few seasons look good in comparison- like so bad that they decided that anyone still watching is going to watch no matter how little effort they put in.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Germstore posted:

The most recent season was bad- like really really bad- so bad they made the preceding few seasons look good in comparison- like so bad that they decided that anyone still watching is going to watch no matter how little effort they put in.
all i heard about this season was the lego episode

how was that one

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

all i heard about this season was the lego episode

how was that one

okay, but basically the same plot as the Lego movie, which they pointed out in a joke as if that would make it any better.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

NiceGuy posted:

Im not saying old Family Guy is good now that Im not 14, but the post-cancelation episodes went into overdrive with their cutaway gags about movies. What used to be a 15 or 30 second gag based on a scene from a movie is now a complete shot for shot remake of the entire scene but with FG characters. The old ones at least didnt need to stop dead for 5 minutes because they wanted to recreate every single frame from Little Shop of Horror's Somewhere Thats Green except this time with Chris and the old pedo.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Germstore posted:

It's an awkward, embarrassing kind of bad, too. Like you almost start to feel sorry for the people who make the show for having to put their names on it.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I have a theory that the Simpsons is still on to pad writers resumes. You work on it for a year or two then apply somewhere else and the executives see Simpsons on there and they think that's great cause that shows been on forever and is a cash cow. They haven't watched it in years themselves but they remember enjoying it at some point.
then they hire this clown and he writes a bad romantic comedy starring Paul Rudd.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

As someone who generally argues against Family Guy, there are some good post-cancellation episodes. What I hate about Family Guy other than the first three seasons is how downright unnecessarily mean and hateful and misogynistic it is. Like I'm not trying to be a male feminist, but it honestly baffles me that more people haven't caught on to the misogyny in the show. Its very noticeable.

i hate to serious post but also the racism

like in the brian dies episode there's basically 5 minutes of uninterrupted non-ironic in any way racist jokes about native americans. i was like 'drat'

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I'm cold and there are wolves after me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Germstore posted:

I watched the latest one the other day. Looks like it was the season finale. Woooo, Lisa narrating two dumb storylines that barely come together at the end! I laughed once, when the older kids pull down a map to hide betting odds on a chalkboard and it's a giant map of the USSR. Probably because my mom still had a full encyclopedia set with the Soviet Union and East/West Germany on all the maps well into the late nineties. A one-second "outdated teaching materials are funny" gag was the highlight of the whole thing for me. :geno:

• Locked thread