Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm watching this Season 16 episode that's on now. It's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The songs in this episode (Lisa on an American Idol ripoff) are terrible.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Whorelord posted:

i hate to serious post but also the racism

like in the brian dies episode there's basically 5 minutes of uninterrupted non-ironic in any way racist jokes about native americans. i was like 'drat'

Yeah the racism and misogyny is just way over the top and doesn't really feel ironic to me anymore, there's been domestic abuse jokes where the punchline is simply "domestic abuse, lol"

like it's just uncomfortable to watch it, I'm not a tumblrite OMG EVERYTHING TRIGGERS ME kind of person or anything and I don't think that TV characters always have to get their comeuppance for being an rear end in a top hat and that everything has to be positive and cheerful but family guy just seems kind of excessive

LIKE THAT TIME IN THE 80S WHEN PERSON DID THING

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
To be fair I thought the episode where Brian did hallucinogens was really cool looking and they did that one well

and I basically liked Road to Rhode Island and whatever that other one was where Stewie and Brian traveled together, I feel like Stewie and Brian focused episodes tend to be alright

Stewie got a little better when the abandoned the OMG LOL THAT BABBY IS EVIL!!! HE WANTS TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD LOL schtick or stopped pushing it so hard anyway

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Family Guy is best when it's just Brian and Stewie.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Egbert Souse posted:

Family Guy is best when it's just Brian and Stewie.

:itwaspoo:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think I stopped watching deliberately because of the decline in quality, but because homework started to be for real or I started working and I'd get Sunday night shifts.

I still watched the reruns for years but after the odds of watching a classic episode dwindled to almost nothing I just didn't care anymore. Now the only time I seek it out on TV is when I'm abroad and I want to hear the voice actors of different languages. The French ones are mostly awesome IIRC.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder how things would be if they had transitioned the show into that "Springfield Stories" spinoff idea they talk about on the DVDs. Being able to make use of all the quirky characters in town without having to shoehorn in a Homer story. Maybe they wouldn't have run out of ideas for a while longer.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh cool, the current episode is using gay as a slur. Shows how retrogressive the show is.

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

I've been on a strict Butterfinger-only diet since the start of the marathon, and I'm starting to not feel too good.

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Post season 8 Simpsons is the type of crappy show a family like The Simpsons would watch.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Did they really bring Homers mom back just to kill her off?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Don't be sad, she comes back in the classic season 23 episode "How I Wet Your Mother":

quote:

Following a traumatic incident, Homer's bed-wetting problem worsens, and his family decide to infiltrate his dreams to get to its subconscious source. And in Homer's dreams is where his late mother Mona Simpson (voiced by Glenn Close) resides. This episode is a parody of the 2010 film Inception.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I wonder how things would be if they had transitioned the show into that "Springfield Stories" spinoff idea they talk about on the DVDs. Being able to make use of all the quirky characters in town without having to shoehorn in a Homer story. Maybe they wouldn't have run out of ideas for a while longer.

Disco Stu wants an entire episode.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
i swear this :smug: face is exclusive to the poo poo seasons (10-present). not counting comic book guy i guess

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Selma marries Grandpa. :what:

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

nooneofconsequence posted:

Selma marries Grandpa. :what:

How 'bout a crazy wedding,

where something happens and doot doot do doot doo

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I finally tapped out at the loving NSync Navy episode. Same place I tapped out on when it first aired. There is some quality in the post season 10 era, but it is so hard to find that it isn't even worth the effort.

I started the marathon somewhere in season 7 and it was a nice couple of days. I used to loving love this show.

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!
I think my favorite episode of the Simpsons is the one where Homer deliberately becomes morbidly obese so he can qualify for disability and work from home. I can remember watching it with friends a few years back and all of us dying laughing when he hijacks the ice cream truck to get to the power plant.

It was from one of those golden era single-digit seasons iirc. I haven't watched the show in ages now but I would love to get all the early seasons on DVD.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CytotoxicTrev posted:

I think my favorite episode of the Simpsons is the one where Homer deliberately becomes morbidly obese so he can qualify for disability and work from home. I can remember watching it with friends a few years back and all of us dying laughing
And now it's hilarious for other reasons:

"Wait, he's only 300lbs? I need to find out if that disability thing is real"
____/
:btroll:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 30, 2014

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

CytotoxicTrev posted:

I think my favorite episode of the Simpsons is the one where Homer deliberately becomes morbidly obese so he can qualify for disability and work from home. I can remember watching it with friends a few years back and all of us dying laughing when he hijacks the ice cream truck to get to the power plant.

It was from one of those golden era single-digit seasons iirc. I haven't watched the show in ages now but I would love to get all the early seasons on DVD.

Yeah, that one was great. A countdown of ten Iroquois Twists was genius.

I think my favorite episode was when Homer became union leader. Practically every scene and line was funny

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I don't think i could ever pick a favourite scene or episode but i was recently watching season 3 and the episode where bart joins the mob is so drat good

the scene where the kids are talking about skinner being missing is gold, where bart drops all the shady legalese talk when one of them accuses him of having skinner whacked

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you were warned posted:

I remember when they had their 100th episode and everyone was like WHOA!!

They had these bumpers, which I mostly just remember because of the "100" with Bart's eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmioLobqHEg

That was twenty years ago :eyepop:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"May you make 100 more." gently caress you, Kelsey Grammar, this is your fault.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

:wth:

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Germstore posted:

"May you make 100 more." gently caress you, Kelsey Grammar, this is your fault.

to be fair, he didn't say 500 more

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wonder if the show is still popular because of The American audience or because Europeans loving love The Simpson. I guess because it's like laughing at silly dumb fat Americans? Idk

Man I remember in the 90s being so excited for Wednesday or whatever day it was that I got to watch a new episode of The Simpsons followed by a new one of In Living Color

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

I don't think i could ever pick a favourite scene or episode but i was recently watching season 3 and the episode where bart joins the mob is so drat good

I always come back to this scene,

[Stampy trumpets]
Homer: What's he yelling about?
Lisa: He's hungry. Here you go Stampy: [holds a platter] eat it slow.
It has to last for --
[Stampy grabs it all at once]
You ate it too fast.
Homer: Maybe if we tied it down so it couldn't move it wouldn't get so
hungry.
Lisa: You can't do that, Dad, it's cruel!
Homer: Oh, everything's cruel according to you. Keeping him chained up
in the back yard is cruel. Pulling on his tail is cruel.
Yelling in his ears is cruel. Everything is cruel. Well, excuse
me if I'm cruel!
[Stampy stuffs Homer in his mouth]

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Like that zombie Simpsons, are there any in depth articles about the animation of Simpsons through the series progression. Always find it fascinating to see the differences (and sterile nature of the newer eps)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Heres old naked Burns vs new naked Burns

Notice how even the background lacks any detail

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What I don't get watching these relatively newer ones is why they started to make Lisa kinda dumb

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
*Homer falls into tar pit*

I'll just reach down and pull my legs out... *reaches down into tar with arms*

...and now I'll pull my arms out with my face! (plunges head into tar)

I still giggle like an idiot every time I see that.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I thought of this while I was cleaning earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGRE7DlB8I&t=37s

Memories...

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

you were warned posted:

I thought of this while I was cleaning earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGRE7DlB8I&t=37s

Memories...

ugh, i hate that episode.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

ugh, i hate that episode.

I also dislike that episode but damned if I don't remember all of the songs whenever they're relevant.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my friends and i deeply enjoyed recording the songs off the simpsons cds, and applying doppler effects to them in goldwave, and using them as sounds in worms 2. what a legacy

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Saalkin posted:

I have a theory that the Simpsons is still on to pad writers resumes. You work on it for a year or two then apply somewhere else and the executives see Simpsons on there and they think that's great cause that shows been on forever and is a cash cow. They haven't watched it in years themselves but they remember enjoying it at some point.
then they hire this clown and he writes a bad romantic comedy starring Paul Rudd.

This seems to be pretty common on popular shows, which is why they tend to droop in quality as they go on. "Frasier" is another one that comes to mind. Starts off classic, stays pretty good, and then experiences a weird drop in quality where it's not even the same show. The reason being a bunch of new writers come on board, stay for a year, and then jump ship with a "classic" show on their resume. After a while nobody even remembers what the characters are supposed to be like.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Simpsons songs!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVusSqEzVHY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saw one today which had Fred Armisen play a neighbouring dad who ends up turning Springfield into Portland so that the show could be a terrible episode of Portlandia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BKPR posted:

my friends and i deeply enjoyed recording the songs off the simpsons cds, and applying doppler effects to them in goldwave, and using them as sounds in worms 2. what a legacy
You guys sound fun. I have worms Armageddon that has a bunch of sound packs. Futurama and ace venture are my faviorites.

• Locked thread