Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionja
Sep 3, 2011

cardinal direction posted:

It's still technically tomorrowish!

:siren: 2. Like Gandhi, or Superman (solo commentary) or the chatty, 2007 version (guesting: ilthrel). :siren:

Gonna go ahead and extend the stencil art vote until tomorrow or something because why not!

I'll have more to say about rewarding moral consistency later on but the short of it is that rewarding the player with newer tools that depend on how good/evil you are is sort of bad because if one is better than the other, then your hands are sort of tied. I think this game pulls it off as best it can, but like I said, more on that later.

e: huh, 2007 video is a little quiet and possibly out of sync. I'll fix that tomorrow if it's a big dealbreaker.

chitoryu12 posted:

Queen of Mean
A Bone To Pick
Gnome Run

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

These characters are seeming generally way, way better than the ones in the first game (I've never played the second).

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Yup, gotta agree. I'm loving the characterization of literally everyone we've run across so far. I say keep going the good route: Our protagonist doesn't strike me as being too much of an rear end in a top hat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The facial animation in this is great. Is this standard for the PS4?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Five posted:

Yup, gotta agree. I'm loving the characterization of literally everyone we've run across so far. I say keep going the good route: Our protagonist doesn't strike me as being too much of an rear end in a top hat.

He seems like a typical hotheaded youth protagonist, but I hope he mellows out as we go on. But the humor from everyone is especially great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

1stGear posted:

The facial animation in this is great. Is this standard for the PS4?

NOBODY KNOWS YET!

Also, there's nothing stopping you from going back across the bridge. In fact, it leads to some pretty funny game-border hopping glitches with some later abilities.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Man the MC is so punchable. I hope he becomes a good character later on but right now he's just so unlikable.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Just wanted to say that I am really enjoying this so far and, while I didn't like the demo I played of the original InFamous, this looks like it makes up for some of that clunky game play.

I am going to be that person though that says "Hey! That's not the way the 520 bridge works!" and after adding "how hard is it to get the geography right?!" I will let it go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zain posted:

Man the MC is so punchable. I hope he becomes a good character later on but right now he's just so unlikable.

I think Delsin is in the right at this point, but he has no idea how to actually express it properly. He just regurgitates the usual counter-culture mantras of "pre-programmed bullshit" and "You're all sheep!" and gets angry and threatens to blow stuff up instead of actually talking to other people like they aren't beneath him. Reggie definitely has a lot of issues and isn't too willing to change his views, but Delsin could solve a lot of issues by just turning off the swirling smoke and trying to talk to people as equals.

I really love the new destructible environments and the heavy use of physics objects. Does that level of cool with fights continue on through the game?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Yeah the other people are really well characterized. I cannot wait to see more of the supporting cast but every time Delsin opens up his yap I just can't help but want his speaking roll over as soon as possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One other thing I like is how talkative everyone is. People don't just go silent until the next plot-relevant dialogue.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Personally I kinda like Delsin, although thay may just be simply because he HAS a personality.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Zoig posted:

Personally I kinda like Delsin, although thay may just be simply because he HAS a personality.

and he doesn't tend to whine about gaining :krad: powers and instead does what a normal person would do which is think "This is loving awesome!" *runs up wall, glides across city*

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Cole knew how to have fun with his powers. He also had several deaths on his conscience. Even if he didn't intentionally cause the deaths everyone had blamed him up to the point where the game began.

My big problem with Delsin is that he is too much of a character. He suffers from the fact that his dialogue can be and has been planned and edited. He has a line about everything, and, most of the time, the line is an attempted punchline. An example is the "you know...gonna hit back," line. Delsin's non-understanding of his brother's statement is just a setup for Delsin to say "what's that even supposed to mean," in a sarcastic, condescending tone. There is no reason that Delsin wouldn't understand the comment, he just didn't for the sake of making a joke.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

chitoryu12 posted:

I really love the new destructible environments and the heavy use of physics objects. Does that level of cool with fights continue on through the game?

I'm a little biased, of course, but I would say that most fights play out like that. If there's something D.U.P, then you can destroy it/manipulate it in some way. Needless to say, we've barely scratched the surface of Delsin's abilities so in my opinion it's only going up from here. I'll let you decide whether it grows much deeper mechanically or not but I think it always looks pretty cool, at least.

Anyways, our first round of stencil art (if I counted right, please feel free to correct me if I made a mistake) will be:

Queen of Mean
A Bone to Pick
Gnome Run

Expect the next video tomorrow at some point. Slowly but surely getting out of tutorial land! ...sort of!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I am really liking every character so far, even Delsin. I guess I just knew too many teenaged hotheads growing up to really dislike how Delsin is. His brother is a hoot too, very subtle inflections and acting really make him work.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Once during a random livestream of this I said something along the same lines about Delsin, and the streamer mentioned that Delsin is actually in his mid twenties instead of his teens. Is that true?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hooray, you're playing through as Good the first time through. The Good storyline characterization is way better than Evil.

One thing they did do very well this time around is diferentiate between the good and evil power sets. The powers you want to use and the ways in which you use them are completely different the second time around.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Once during a random livestream of this I said something along the same lines about Delsin, and the streamer mentioned that Delsin is actually in his mid twenties instead of his teens. Is that true?

He's 24.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Hooray, you're playing through as Good the first time through. The Good storyline characterization is way better than Evil.

One thing they did do very well this time around is diferentiate between the good and evil power sets. The powers you want to use and the ways in which you use them are completely different the second time around.

He's 24.

Ha! So he is a burnout, great! I'm really not a fan of Delsin- stupid name, stupid coked out eyes- right now. Like, Christ how long have you lived in this planet that you need BIO-TERRORIST explained to you!?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I kind of like Delsin a lot, actually. He's immature and has a very FIGHT THE MAN, MAN attitude that I saw a lot in college, but he's also really likeable and his acting is done with tons of charisma. I have no doubt that over the course of the game he'll be forced to grow up and see justice in more concrete and realistic terms, which--in my opinion--is a lot cooler of an arc than "shaved head gravel-gargling white dude everyprotagonist learns to be a bit less of an antisocial dickbag."

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Talking about the good and evil plotlines in this game, without spoiling anything, good is more your traditional "i'll save everyone and be super nice" and evil is less "slowly choke some puppies with handsmoke" and more of a casual disregard for non conduit bio-terrorist life with some corruption thrown in there. It's actually done pretty well, though it does suffer from having the same basic plot as good. Evil Delsin doesn't really care about regular people that aren't Akomish, and uses his powers to do whatever he wants with them.

As for Delsin's overall personality, I rather like it. He's basically what I wanted to see from Cole, which was being less super grim and serious at all times. I understood that in the first game, and to an extent in the second, but the dude seriously needed to lighten up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The problem is that Evil Delsin does most of the same things that Good Delsin does with less justification. Outside of the cutscenes that stem from direct good/evil choices (and a few phone calls) everything else is the same.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

he'll be forced to grow up and see justice in more concrete

I dunno if he'll see justice but he'll definitely see a lot more concrete

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone help, I'm totally lost on how they got concrete lady to leave. Like, he said he was a bio-terrorist and-???- then he's waking up in an infirmary and it's been a week since.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RareAcumen posted:

Someone help, I'm totally lost on how they got concrete lady to leave. Like, he said he was a bio-terrorist and-???- then he's waking up in an infirmary and it's been a week since.

She didn't believe him, so she tortured a few more people and decided there wasn't anything actual Bio-Terrorist-y going on and left.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Polaron posted:

She didn't believe him, so she tortured a few more people and decided there wasn't anything actual Bio-Terrorist-y going on and left.

And after he admits he's a Conduit, she doesn't arrest him because...?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

All Conduits have the ability to absorb and channel... something, Delsin's unique in what he absorbs and channels is energy from other conduits. He hasn't encountered one in the past 7 years since the DUP has been rounding them up and tossing them all in Curdon Key, so when Delsin says "He caught it from that guy" she thinks he's just being a rebellious little poo poo head.

There may be other reasons, but they're somewhat spoilery.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Kurieg posted:

All Conduits have the ability to absorb and channel... something, Delsin's unique in what he absorbs and channels is energy from other conduits. He hasn't encountered one in the past 7 years since the DUP has been rounding them up and tossing them all in Curdon Key, so when Delsin says "He caught it from that guy" she thinks he's just being a rebellious little poo poo head.

I don't think the game has really established this very well. Sure, he got smoke powers after touching a smoke guy, but to me it seemed more as though that just triggered the powers he'd had latent all along. So when he's talking about how he's a "power sponge" and assumes he can just absorb concrete-lady's concrete powers... that section didn't really work for me.

I'll admit I was a bit disappointed by how little impact that choice made. I was expecting him to run away using his smoke powers and draw the DUP guys away from him tribe, but nope, there's functionally very little real difference in the outcome of the good and evil choices. A necessity for game design, but kinda galling in this instance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

And here I was confused that he blatantly admitted to being a conduit and under the impression that she believed him on that part but didn't buy the part that he just 'caught it' from an actual conduit.

inflatablefish posted:

I don't think the game has really established this very well. Sure, he got smoke powers after touching a smoke guy, but to me it seemed more as though that just triggered the powers he'd had latent all along. So when he's talking about how he's a "power sponge" and assumes he can just absorb concrete-lady's concrete powers... that section didn't really work for me.

Really? Seems like the best leap of logic to make here from 'drain powers from one guy' to 'Hey, maybe I can just drain powers from everyone?'

Five
Jan 6, 2009

John Liver posted:

And after he admits he's a Conduit, she doesn't arrest him because...?

She didn't believe him. She thought he was lying to save the rest of his tribe. Then she tortured everyone else and no one else would cop to it either so she left.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to thank you for showing off this game, because it convinced me to rent it and it really is a lot of fun. I'm a few missions ahead of the LP now and am quite pleased with it so far.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
My impression is that Augustine thought he was just being a smartass and when no one ratted him out, she left.

Anyways, sorry I'm so late on this! Weekend ended up being kind of hectic.

:siren: 3. Occupying Armies Suck, or 2007 style (guesting: bucketcapacity and ilthrel)

Will you choose the bird, the hands, the skull tv, or the donkey?

Lotish posted:

I want to thank you for showing off this game, because it convinced me to rent it and it really is a lot of fun.

Awesome! I'm glad you're liking the game/hopefully enjoying the LP.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 31, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Use the Bird Tag

It's going to look the coolest on the Space Needle

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Give the DUP the bird!

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Show Seattle your rear end.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Gotta go with the Skull TV.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

The hands

We are going to hold this city in our hands and keep it safe.

Or crush it.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Be an rear end.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Well, it didn't take them long to bring out the giant armored soldier with minigun cliche, did it?

I'll vote for the hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Bird tag.

• Locked thread