Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should the US just go for it and become an empire?
Yes! 1000 years of 'Murica!
No. forcing democracy on people is a contradiction.
Lurk Moar before you post, Applewhite.
View Results

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The British Empire lasted from 1497 to 1987 and at its height covered more than a quarter of the Earth's land mass.
In the process of pursuing total world domination, it created (albeit largely accidentally) no less than four wealthy, stable democracies that have gone on to become great nations in their own right: Singapore, Australia, Canada, and, everybody's favorite, the USA.
India, South Africa, Hong Kong and a handful of others also get honorable mentions for being the least lovely places to live in their region.

The United States, by contrast, has eschewed direct world domination in favor of "encouraging" independent democracies to flower on their own.
Successful democracies created by US intervention: 0 (1 if you count Israel I guess, but we all know how THEY turned out)

I say we drop the hypocritical "minimal intervnetion" BS and just take over the world already.
Worst case scenario is we fail but indirectly create a bunch of awesome, new countries which might be even better than the US.
Best Case scenario we succeed and there is Freedom and Justice for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
They did this over a hundred years ago.

Pick up a book.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

can we bring back togas

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i cant waigt to be annexed by canada when this whole poo poo starts to go down

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Manifest posted:

They did this over a hundred years ago.

Pick up a book.

The events detailed in Harry Turtledove novels don't count.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

you need to lurk both here and in a couple of US History forums, thanks

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

The events detailed in Harry Turtledove novels don't count.

Read about the Spanish American War.

Remember the Maine! :911:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
You invade either to take and destroy or conquer. We should drop the pretense of fixing and just do either of the above.

McDowell posted:

Inside job! :tinfoil:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

We beat up the aging Spanish Armada and then were neglectful caretakers of the Philippines. If we'd really been going for an empire, the Philippines would be states right now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Al Borland posted:

You invade either to take and destroy or conquer. We should drop the pretense of fixing and just do either of the above.

My point exactly (I say conquer).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
THe united states already is an empire, just not in the way you think of them (rome, britain). It's an "economic" empire. A "cultural" empire.

why would we bother conquering militarily to take what we are already getting through other means. War can be a way to make money and it can be a way to waste money. Usually it's a waste of money (50% of the time at least, i.e. people lose wars)

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
A gay empire

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
for faggots

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
im gay

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
drat americans are poo poo at history.

we already control the EU, we have the middle east set up to make our war machine make us money every year for the next two centuries and we outright just own like half the important countries in the world. even our debtors cant touch us because they'll go broke without us around to pay them back

the american empire is about as good as its ever been right now

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^^ Don't forget that Argentinian debt

Al Borland posted:

Inside job! :tinfoil:

I think now historians say it is a toss up between a Spanish mine or a bunker fire, but hey it is what it is. See also: Gulf of Tonkin

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
As an Applewhite, are you a football player, football coach, character on desperate housewives, or leader of a suicidal alien cult?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i want us to take all our extra tanks congress gave us and just sweep through all of south america, kill em all make canadians go to south america, we annex canada. the we are in a good position for a land war with russia.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Did those Argentinians ever pay up? What ever happened with that? Last I heard they didn't want to pay their debts so we wrecked their economy.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Applewhite posted:

We beat up the aging Spanish Armada and then were neglectful caretakers of the Philippines. If we'd really been going for an empire, the Philippines would be states right now.

What kind of chump bitch empire makes its colonies fully franchised parts of the core

"Hm yes let's let the wogs vote in parliament" - the British, never

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Ok, so should we conquer Argentina or destroy it?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Huskalator posted:

Ok, so should we conquer Argentina or destroy it?

good farm land lots of slave labor treat it like guam.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

TOILETLORD posted:

i want us to take all our extra tanks congress gave us and just sweep through all of south america, kill em all make canadians go to south america, we annex canada. the we are in a good position for a land war with russia.

Tanks are not really useful in a jungle.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Hobohemian posted:

Tanks are not really useful in a jungle.

we got like an extra 2k tanks from congress that are just sitting around doing nothing might as well use them for something anything.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

THe united states already is an empire, just not in the way you think of them (rome, britain). It's an "economic" empire. A "cultural" empire.

why would we bother conquering militarily to take what we are already getting through other means. War can be a way to make money and it can be a way to waste money. Usually it's a waste of money (50% of the time at least, i.e. people lose wars)

Oh, awesome. An "Economic" and "Cultural" empire; that poo poo doesn't fly in CIV and it doesn't fly IRL. Everyone knows the Military Victory is the real one.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

What kind of chump bitch empire makes its colonies fully franchised parts of the core

"Hm yes let's let the wogs vote in parliament" - the British, never

Maybe if they HAD, they'd still be an empire. The US could be a new paradigm (in, admittedly, a very old paradigm).

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

probably not a good idea. we re-created modern japan after WW2 and also the philippines was our colony. japan is full of tentacle rapist pedophiles and the philippines is a basketcase

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didnt read a word of the OP but guess what I dont need to because I already know America is the greatest country in the history of this gay earth

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

tanks for nothing, congress

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

i cant waigt to be annexed by canada when this whole poo poo starts to go down

umm actually i think yhoull find that the king of burgers wants to buy tim hortons & then move north for that sweet canadianian corporate tax rate

so, yeah. gently caress u. next we'll buy hockey. o wats that? WE ALREADY DID

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Oh, awesome. An "Economic" and "Cultural" empire; that poo poo doesn't fly in CIV and it doesn't fly IRL. Everyone knows the Military Victory is the real one.

you've never built such a kicking rad and freedom-filled CIV world that all the computers concede to you and their citizens begin to eat hamburgers and embrace obesity?

heh, obvious noob over here guys

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

probably not a good idea. we re-created modern japan after WW2 and also the philippines was our colony. japan is full of tentacle rapist pedophiles and the philippines is a basketcase

japan and south korea actually are awesome idiot

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

a creepy colon posted:

says the dude with the anime nazi avatar

japan would actually be a decent country if it wasn't full of japanese people

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

TOILETLORD posted:

What about all the good looking Latin men and women? That's a whole lot of sexiness being wiped out.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
seriously though anyone can take over a country with guns by spending a bunch of money

america literally does nothing and is able to passively cause other countries to want to be like it. we bombed japan and now they are obsessed with our culture. we make fun of canada constantly like a retarded younger brother and yet each year their politicians bring their system a little bit closer to ours. we outright insult the brits about everything from their diet to their dental health to their speech defects and yet every time we send troops anywhere, britain is there to contribute

america's current empire owns because everyone who hates us the most is wearing a shirt with english writing on it and has been to a mcdonalds in the past week

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

TontoCorazon posted:

What about all the good looking Latin men and women? That's a whole lot of sexiness being wiped out.

all survivors will be sent to detroit.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

japan would actually be a decent country if it wasn't full of japanese people

you are racist scum dude.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TontoCorazon posted:

Crowdsource the genocide to HotorNot.com

Score less than a solid 7 and the drone takes you out.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a creepy colon posted:

I have to admit, I totally forgot about Japan and South Korea. I have been to both and they are awesome places.

But see? SEE? We didn't pussyfoot around in those countries with Bay of Pigs BS. We rolled in guns blazing, said "this is how things are gonna be" and stuck around until they fixed their poo poo. They are an example of how great the whole world could be if we applied ourselves.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

a creepy colon posted:

you are racist scum dude.

yeah you're right. japan totally isn't one of the stupidest and most racist countries in the first world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah you're right. japan totally isn't one of the stupidest and most racist countries in the first world.

we should just change their constitution so they have to go to grade school in america. make them less insular.

• Locked thread