Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
That fedora forum is really sad because everyone on it that I saw is at least 25 years old. It's ok to have goofy phases when you're a teenager because later on when you get into your 20's everyone kind of chuckles about their choices and tells war stories abour their ~expressing myself~ stage. But these dudes will probably sit bolt upright in bed one night and and realize that they're walking jokes, for which their is no excuse or opportunity for humorous reflection. Only shame :(

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
These loving idiots need girlfriends to color coordinate for them....some of these pictures...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

She strode down the sidewalk like a tigress in heat. I glanced up at her only briefly. The dame had jet black hair and legs for days. I could see immediately she was trouble, maybe the kind of trouble I could afford. I took one long draw on my cigarette and picked up my ukelele to plunk out a tune.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

I like french fry taters mmmm hmmmm

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

this guy did before he probably killed himself http://congalineofdurin.tumblr.com/post/77726018669/had-to-shut-a-bitch-down-today

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

kuponut
Oct 6, 2013

:vince:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

This is written in pre-war lovecraftian english, i'm not going to google this poo poo. what the gently caress is a stetson whippet???

Fedora Fuckwit posted:

All you guys sound fantastic. Here's my outfit for today:
Very old Levis 501
BLUE twotone shoes from Bologna
blue shirt w. thin white stripe
and my RAF Battle Dress jacket w. pilotwing
and a burgundy silkscarf.
...I know it sounds strange.

ahahahahaha :tipshat:

Future Mrs Booger
Jan 18, 2012

quote:

RAF Battle Dress jacket w. pilotwing

Stolen Valor Act???

Future Mrs Booger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 21, 2014

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Is it possible to be too fat too wear a fedora?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

girl named kitty saying she has claws 0/5 would not gently caress

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Harrower posted:

Is it possible to be too fat too wear a fedora?

Absolutely not. The rule is: The more morbidly obese you are, the smaller the hat.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Sometimes it's not the fedora on your head as it is the fedora in your heart

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i guess an actual fedora can look pretty good if you've got the right suit or coat but you need to have the face and body for it and a pimply 20 year old w/ wireframe glasses is not the right type for it

that's for fedoras tho the only reason you should wear a trilby is if you're an 80 year old at a golf course or your name is Bear Bryant

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

you left out all the context and best parts

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
A friend of mine from high school moved to China and wears a fedora every day. Apparently, that look works out there. That might be the only reason he moved.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It's mostly because of the kind of people who wear fedoras or trilbies, not because of the hat itself. In addition, it's usually toward the people wearing them.

Many people don't know the difference between fedoras and trilbies, causing them to mislabel their trilby as a fedora. A fedora is never mistaken for a trilby because trilbies are uncool versions of fedoras, and no one wants an uncool fedora. A lot of times, if you tell someone with a trilby who thinks they have a fedora that their trilby is a trilby, they will refuse to believe you either because a trilby isn't as cool to have or because they believe the differences between fedoras and trilbies are so minor that a trilby is an actual fedora.

To add onto this is the fact that many people believe there is some sort of magic in a fedora that automatically makes them cooler, the toast of the town, high accepted and loved people, as long as they wear one. This most likely stems from the fact that older people who wear them are cool people, and the toast of the town.

Alongside that, many people often fail to coordinate their outfit to match a fedora. You'll often see people strolling around in a fedora and lovely band clothes from Hot Topic, or something.

There are two kinds of people commonly seen wearing them: Neckbeards and a certain kind of Atheists. Sometimes they're one and the same, but a lot of times they are two separate groups. It often makes the value of inherent coolness the hat has decrease because of the major amount of stupid that comes from these two groups. Just for explanation:

Neckbeards are similar to basement dwellers, but have a superiority that makes them the target of "friendzoning", which is apparently the act of telling someone you just want to be friends while the other person wants to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. They're named after the original neckbeards...people who had beards on their necks but not on their faces. Usually, they fall into cries similar to "I was nice to her, but she friendzoned me! I deserve a girlfriend because I am a nice guy! Why are girls so evil?", when everyone knows that you shouldn't need a reward to make you treat someone like a human being. Often, you see these kinds of images being posted by them onto the internet.

The kind of atheists I speak of are "logic"-driven people who denounce faith and religion with cries of "I am smarter than you because I am not ruled by a fictional character" and other similar things. They constantly put down religious people and religions with their "sound" logic. Many of these kinds of atheists are neckbeards.

Here's a simple guide to pulling off a fedora:

1. Get a real fedora. Not a trilby (the narrow brim "fedora" that was popular recently) or a cheap costume fedora. Stetson and Dobbs are good choices, if they've been around since fedoras were originally popular and they are sold at a real hat store that will size you and care for the hat (clean and reshape it) you're probably safe.

2. Fedoras, like most hats that aren't baseball caps, have a dress code. At the very least you'll want nice slacks, a button up LONG SLEEVE shirt (tucked in, with a flat color or mild pattern, no Ed Hardy), and if possible a tie. If you're trying to be more formal, go with a full suit, but you can also pull of a casual look without looking like a fool (rolled up sleeves are fine but avoid short sleeve shirts, throw on a sweater or sweater vest and you don't need a tie). You don't need to wear dress shoes, but sneakers are definitely not an option. Go for something brown, black, or tan, preferably leather, with no crazy patterns. Take time to find the right kind of clothes (they don't even have to be expensive ones) and you'll be surprised how comfortable this dress code can be.

3. Don't let the fedora influence your personality. This may sound wrong at first, but don't try to look up proper hat etiquette, this is a very different world and constantly doffing your hat and taking it off when a girl steps onto the elevator just comes across as weird and slightly creepy in 2014.

Basically, if you want to wear a fedora, you'd better be willing to go all the way. Don't expect to just add it to your everyday clothes without looking like a jerk, and don't pretend to be Cary grant or you'll seem like a creep.

If you follow these basic outlines, it's pretty easy to pull off a fedora, just look at the millions of people who did it every day in the 1940s.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It's mostly because of the kind of people who wear fedoras or trilbies, not because of the hat itself. In addition, it's usually toward the people wearing them.

Many people don't know the difference between fedoras and trilbies, causing them to mislabel their trilby as a fedora. A fedora is never mistaken for a trilby because trilbies are uncool versions of fedoras, and no one wants an uncool fedora. A lot of times, if you tell someone with a trilby who thinks they have a fedora that their trilby is a trilby, they will refuse to believe you either because a trilby isn't as cool to have or because they believe the differences between fedoras and trilbies are so minor that a trilby is an actual fedora.

To add onto this is the fact that many people believe there is some sort of magic in a fedora that automatically makes them cooler, the toast of the town, high accepted and loved people, as long as they wear one. This most likely stems from the fact that older people who wear them are cool people, and the toast of the town.

Alongside that, many people often fail to coordinate their outfit to match a fedora. You'll often see people strolling around in a fedora and lovely band clothes from Hot Topic, or something.

There are two kinds of people commonly seen wearing them: Neckbeards and a certain kind of Atheists. Sometimes they're one and the same, but a lot of times they are two separate groups. It often makes the value of inherent coolness the hat has decrease because of the major amount of stupid that comes from these two groups. Just for explanation:

Neckbeards are similar to basement dwellers, but have a superiority that makes them the target of "friendzoning", which is apparently the act of telling someone you just want to be friends while the other person wants to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. They're named after the original neckbeards...people who had beards on their necks but not on their faces. Usually, they fall into cries similar to "I was nice to her, but she friendzoned me! I deserve a girlfriend because I am a nice guy! Why are girls so evil?", when everyone knows that you shouldn't need a reward to make you treat someone like a human being. Often, you see these kinds of images being posted by them onto the internet.

The kind of atheists I speak of are "logic"-driven people who denounce faith and religion with cries of "I am smarter than you because I am not ruled by a fictional character" and other similar things. They constantly put down religious people and religions with their "sound" logic. Many of these kinds of atheists are neckbeards.

1. Get a real fedora. Not a trilby (the narrow brim "fedora" that was popular recently) or a cheap costume fedora. Stetson and Dobbs are good choices, if they've been around since fedoras were originally popular and they are sold at a real hat store that will size you and care for the hat (clean and reshape it) you're probably safe.

2. Fedoras, like most hats that aren't baseball caps, have a dress code. At the very least you'll want nice slacks, a button up LONG SLEEVE shirt (tucked in, with a flat color or mild pattern, no Ed Hardy), and if possible a tie. If you're trying to be more formal, go with a full suit, but you can also pull of a casual look without looking like a fool (rolled up sleeves are fine but avoid short sleeve shirts, throw on a sweater or sweater vest and you don't need a tie). You don't need to wear dress shoes, but sneakers are definitely not an option. Go for something brown, black, or tan, preferably leather, with no crazy patterns. Take time to find the right kind of clothes (they don't even have to be expensive ones) and you'll be surprised how comfortable this dress code can be.

3. Don't let the fedora influence your personality. This may sound wrong at first, but don't try to look up proper hat etiquette, this is a very different world and constantly doffing your hat and taking it off when a girl steps onto the elevator just comes across as weird and slightly creepy in 2014.

Basically, if you want to wear a fedora, you'd better be willing to go all the way. Don't expect to just add it to your everyday clothes without looking like a jerk, and don't pretend to be Cary grant or you'll seem like a creep.

If you follow these basic outlines, it's pretty easy to pull off a fedora, just look at the millions of people who did it every day in the 1940s.

this is all irrelevant because we're living in the year 2014. so you won't look good in a fedora unless you are wearing it for a period piece movie or tv show

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

or you're a cool black guy

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

plz don't post my picture w/o my permission

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The only times it's appropriate to wear a fedora is if you're at a costume party or acting.

Even old people don't wear them anymore. They wear shirts with special pockets for cigarettes.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

this is all irrelevant because we're living in the year 2014. so you won't look good in a fedora unless you are wearing it for a period piece movie or tv show

Red posted:

The only times it's appropriate to wear a fedora is if you're at a costume party or acting.

Even old people don't wear them anymore. They wear shirts with special pockets for cigarettes.

Counterpoint

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
That's a lot of words to say the only acceptable headwear is a baseball cap if working in the sun, patrol cap if in military/police uniform and helmets/hard hats on job sites.

Notice how all are outdoor use. There is no acceptable times to wear a hat indoors.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Ed Harris? :ohdear:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

tactical hats are way less gay as fedoras but they're still kinda gay, that says a lot

maybe less so if you're actually buff and not a poser nerd, same way black grandpas look good in fedoras

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Q: "Can I pull off a fedora?"

A: Yes! because people who wear them are too afraid to fight back

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Robo Reagan posted:

girl named kitty saying she has claws 0/5 would not gently caress

I'm not sure who was more retarded and projecting in that conversation.

edit: well, I missed that middle part of the convo.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk probably ur mum :wicked:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drat you for embarrassing me in GBS. you won't get away with this!

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.

From the FedoraLounge thread.
I'm prepared to give these guy a pass as he's old enough to dress as an eccentric in my eyes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

drat you for embarrassing me in GBS. you won't get away with this!

I'm sorry, I will make it up to you somehow.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Ghost Who Walks posted:

From the FedoraLounge thread.
I'm prepared to give these guy a pass as he's old enough to dress as an eccentric in my eyes.

i'm prepared to give this guy a pass as he'll crush me with his powerstone if I don't

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fedora more like FAT-dora LMAO

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Trixie Hardcore posted:

If you follow [some horseshit], it's pretty easy to pull off a fedora, just look at the millions of people who did it every day in the 1940s.
Those people didn't look like fools because they lived in a society when wearing fedoras/trilbys/WGAFhats was the standard. No matter what you think you're doing, you look like (and are) a goddamn tool if you wear one today qed

It's like wearing Ren Faire costumes as daily wear you loving idiot

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gently caress Your Website posted:

Those people didn't look like fools because they lived in a society when wearing fedoras/trilbys/WGAFhats was the standard. No matter what you think you're doing, you look like (and are) a goddamn tool if you wear one today qed

It's like wearing Ren Faire costumes as daily wear you loving idiot

I think it's mostly because people are so loving fat now it looks like their head is eating the hat.

e: I guess Taft kinda pulls it off, I don't know but maybe there's hope for fedora wearers in TYOOL 2014.

Trixie Hardcore fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 26, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Or they actually ARE eating the hat and you have to yell at the fat to make them stop.
"That's a hat!" you scream as they blissfully attempt to eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

everything i wear is trill, b

• Locked thread