Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ha na
Na ru
Ya ya
Ma chi
Ta mi

Five middle-school girls make a dancing club.

Obviously, since the manga of this runs in a Manga Time Kirara magazine, it's really a show about cute girls doing cute things, but we can pretend it's a dancing anime, can't we?

So let's talk a bit about the actual dance they're doing, yosakoi.

You might recognize some of the style from another recent anime:

Golden Time has the characters perform awa-odori. Yosakoi was derived from the awa dance recently, in the 1950's, while the actual awa dance traces back several hundred years.

According to Japanese Wikipedia, the word yosakoi derives from older Japanese yosari koi, which basically means "come in the evening", which really just underlines the dance as one performed at festivals.

Yoisakoi is a performance dance for groups, usually performed on a stage or in a parade. Since there are actual contests for yosakoi-troupes, there are also formal rules for what constitutes yosakoi-dancing:
→ The music used must include parts from the original Yosakoi Naruko Dancing tune
Naruko must also be used
→ Limit on troupe size
Apart from that the choreography and costumes are free.

Watch anime on Crunchyroll or just post your favorite yosakoi videos.

Here's a team from Hokkaido University on stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRx3G6E39V4

Here's another big team dancing in the street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZboPhTdOM

And here's some American dorks who went all the way to Japan to perform a stupid dance. One of them is probably Hana in real life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvhkItbO8SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Prettiest show of the year.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Since the OP is super addictive, you may enjoy the voice actors doing a live-action music video for the full song. Well, for as long as it stays undeleted.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 27, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was skipping this show at first, but someone said it was good in the season thread and they spoke the truth. Also yeah, drat fine OP yo.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Manga Time Kirara? I think I'm starting to realize that I'll watch a lot of stuff from them, so thanks for noting that. I'll have to start this sometime.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yaya is the best character. Acting that she's too cool for this poo poo and then getting down about being left out, that's me in a nutshell.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The fact that it is a cute girls doing cute things show makes it easy to overlook Hanayamata. It really is good though.

In the latest episode, a character joked that the four girls were the princess, tsundere, blonde, and girl next door. In most shows like this, the characters are stereotypes manufactured to target a specific fetish. They are more than that in Hanayamata. The characters develop and grow as people instead of filling a moeblob niche.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
The show would've been a lot better if the drama wasn't so freaking melodramatic and, more to the point, wasn't present in almost every episode. Also, where's the drat yosakoi? I mean, all they've showed so far were stills and tiny bits of the dance (that were very simple in terms of the animation). I just want to see at least one fully animated dance sequence before last/second-to-last episode, however simple and clumsy that dance is. Because at this point I feel like authors are not saving budget but simply trolling, especially when I remember festival segment in episode 5, when the cast were saying "Look how awesome yosakoi is!" but all that was shown were the drat stills and barely animated little pieces of the performance. It felt like big "screw you" to the viewer.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

You are watching this show to see yosakoi. Big mistake.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You are watching this show to see yosakoi. Big mistake.
Nah, I'm watching the show because of the cast and the cute things girls are doing. I'm just annoyed at the amount of corner-cutting when it comes to animating yosakoi.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 26, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When I was trying to find a place in Golden Time to screenshot for the op post, I also noticed that they were cutting corners on the dancing, just doing closeups without much animation, instead of showing the full parade. It worked well enough while just watching the show, but not so much if you actually wanted to see the dance.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
Sally-chan-sensei is a woman after my own heart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She definitely channels her inner Misato. Now all she needs is some daddy issues. :v:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Turns out Sally is the same age as me. When did I get old enough to be the same age as teachers instead of the students in anime? I don't like it. :ohdear:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I'm kinda surprised by just how much angst there is in this cute-girls-doing-cute-things series. Everybody's got problems, man.

And this may be the only show I can think of that has such highly detailed eyelids, gives the character designs a little bit of distinctness.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm kinda surprised by just how much angst there is in this cute-girls-doing-cute-things series. Everybody's got problems, man.

And this may be the only show I can think of that has such highly detailed eyelids, gives the character designs a little bit of distinctness.

I kind of like the personal struggles that they all go through. It emphasizes how even if they are seen as the archetype of the cool kid or princess that they are still human and have doubts and faults of their own.

The opening is super catchy and the animation for this series is pretty well done.

My favorite scene so far is Hana's dad having a crisis of his daugther sudden change of mood.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

grrarg posted:

They are more than that in Hanayamata. The characters develop and grow as people instead of filling a moeblob niche.

Lol lets not get too crazy here.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DrPaper posted:

Lol lets not get too crazy here.

Yeah, seriously. It's all standard by the numbers minimal stuff. But at least it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

Sakurazuka posted:

She definitely channels her inner Misato. Now all she needs is some daddy issues. :v:

Well there's obviously some kind of family issues with her and her sister.

• Locked thread