Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

hey now it's still illegal if the animal suffers physical harm :stonklol:

:denmark: <--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

the subject is brought up every once in a while in the public debate, but the council of ethics, which is poo poo and should be abolished, keeps trotting out the "as long as the animal doesn't suffer" defense.

her story is really sad :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodil_Joensen

quote:

The daughter of a devout Christian mother and an absentee military father, Joensen grew up in the Copenhagen suburb of Hundige. Her mother was often physically abusive, sometimes violently so, and would whip her. At the age of 12, she was possibly raped by a stranger in a railway station — her Danish biography and 1980s interview say that they "just talked" or that she was "nearly raped", but her mother believed she had been actually raped. On returning home to tell her mother, she was beaten and blamed for the incident. Seeking a means to retaliate, she vowed to her mother that when she grew up she would have sex with boars, commenting in interview that her mother was "so shocked, she thought I was allied to the Devil". Turning to animals for affection, her dog became her best friend, companion and lover, and she wore a locket with his picture for the rest of her life.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

How is that not a reasonable defense or really the only metric worth considering? If the animal doesn't suffer what exactly is the crime? Animal cruelty laws already ban everything you need to ban.

because animals should be more than fucktoys for humans. also you can spread dangerous, sometimes resistant pathogens around doing it, i'd imagine - even working with pigs can give you MRSA, for example.

it's hella gross also. hth

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zzulu posted:

• The World Audit ranks Denmark as the world's most democratic and least corrupted country in 2008. It is also second for freedom of press.
  • Danish people have the lowest income inequality in the world, with a Gini index of 24.7 in 1997.

lol at these two

a lot has changed since 1997

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

But animals should be toys and food for humans? It's not like I'm arguing from the standpoint that I'd like it to be legal for me to gently caress animals, I think it's gross too. I just don't like the idea of legislating morality. There are already animal cruelty laws in effect that make it illegal to harm animals (well without cause at least) so when it comes to examples that don't harm the animal there's really no reason to ban it other than because people think it's icky, which I'm against on principle.

so what you're saying is that you're morally... inept?

YEEEEEAAAHHHH

babypolis posted:

when i went there in 2009 it seemed like u guys had everything figured out pls tell me more about how austerity ruined everything

well for starters we sold off essential infrastructure to loving goldman sachs and bain capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Agrajag posted:

get me in there stat

sorry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-year_rule

• Locked thread