Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Hello and welcome to Soldiers of Dune!

This is the rules and signups thread for the Dune Soldiers game, which will pit the Harkonnen Baron anime gently caress pillow versus the Atreides Duke mr capps. in a battle to determine the best mafia king of the cosmos. I am not a particular Dune lover so i have taken some liberties with the setting and/or flavour to make for a more interesting game so deal with it.

The rules for this game are highly derived from Tao Jones' Fantasy World at War soldiers game, and as such i have stolen a lot of the rules and regulations from his game. The flavour and abilities will differ, as will the lynch modes, so there are no specific advantages from having played in that game.

The setup and modding duties have been shared by your mods busb and Opopanax, and will moderate a thread each.

What is a soldiers game?

For those that haven’t played a soldiers game before, this is for you!
A soldiers game is a game of mafia split across two threads. You as a player are only part of one thread, which is ruled by one of the chosen Lords.

You win when the Lord of the opposing thread is killed. Each thread has a scumteam seeking to bring down the Lord, which the town needs to lynch. The two threads then fight each other every night.

Posting Rules - Wow Tao Jones loves all caps

1: DON'T EDIT YOUR POSTS!
2: DON'T TALK ABOUT SPECIFIC NUMBERS OR IN LANGUAGE THAT CAN INDICATE SPECIFIC NUMBERS! "I took heavy damage during that fight" "I will die if I'm not healed" "I'm hurt" "I'm close to dying" are examples of OK things to say. "I took 5 damage" "I have half my HP left" "I have 1 hit point left" "I took between 4 and 6 damage in that fight" or "I took damage equal to a prime number between 3 and 7" are examples of things that are NOT OKAY to say.
3: DON'T TALK TO PEOPLE WHO YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO! THIS INCLUDES AFTER YOU'RE DEAD, PLEASE!
4: DON'T PUBLISH ANYTHING FROM A ROLE PM. "I do damage" "Put me in the rear rank" "I'm a fighter, put me in the front" "I can attack multiple enemies" "I debuff people" are acceptable things to say. "I have a melee strike that does 5 damage and hits 2 enemies" "I do 32 damage at range" or “I have 6 Cadence” are not acceptable things to say. (See Rule 2 as a guide)

The first violation in a thread will result in the entire thread being WARNED.
The second and future violations in a thread will result in the offender being MODKILLED.
This means that if winvirus is in your thread and violates secrecy for the first time, and then you violate secrecy, he will generate the WARNING and you will be MODKILLED.

GAMEPLAY RULES AND STUFF

Your Statistics

Abilities are all secret, but typically your stats affect abilities. you have 7 stat points to allocate, however no stat may be lower than 0, nor higher than 3.

{C}ADENCE: proficiency at the measured dance of modern melee combat, least effective in deep desert.
{R}ETROVERSION: proficiency with ancient ranged combat techniques. Most effective in deep desert.
{A}DDICTION: the soldier’s addiction to the precognitive spice melange. All of the highest users of spice act first (defense abilities go before offense), then next highest, and so on. The highest levels of melange addiction renders a person less receptive to spice healing. (Addiction4 = -2 to all heals received, Addiction3= -1 to all heals, Addiction 0= +2 to all heals
{STA}MINA: related to HP (+1 MaxHP for each STAMINA point)
{SH}IELDING: related to damage mitigation. For the cost of 3 statpoints, grants -1 damage from melee sources, and -4 from ranged. However if a shield is ever shot with a (very rare) lasgun, the shooter and the victim both explode, killing them both and dealing damage to their entire formation rank. Shields cannot be used at all in Deep Desert battlegrounds.

Winning the Game
You win the game when the rival thread's Ruler is eliminated. The best way to kill the enemy ruler is to reduce the population of the enemy thread in battle (and through other means, if available) as fast as possible. Rulers may not take the field themselves until they cannot assign 5 other players to battle, at which point they MUST assign themselves to battle and MUST be in the front rank.

RULE: Lynching & Battle Times
Lynches will be resolved and flipped at the same time for both threads, with battle orders and battlefield location due 1 hour before lynch deadline by the thread ruler. Battle resolution will occur approx 24 hours after that.

This game uses a dynamic lynch system which is determined by the defending king each day for both threads.

1) Regular Majority: A single player is lynched and is "instant" in that if a player gets a majority at any time, they are "hammered", may no longer post or use abilities, but discussion continues from the remaining players! The lynched player's cardflip will NOT be posted until the deadline mark.

2) Lights Out: As above, but any number of players may be lynched until the deadline.

3) Double Plurality: the two players with the highest number of votes for them at deadline are lynched. In the case of ties, the players that reached the vote number threshold first are lynched first.

You may lynch a player on your team's raiding party if you like, but if you kill him before the battle is resolved, he is dead and cannot participate in the battle. Any ongoing effects, such as from a Preliminary action he took, are ended when he is hammered.

The irregular lynch modes may not be chosen twice in a row by the same ruler.
eg: Atriedes chooses 2) Lights Out for Day1, Harkonnen then is able to choose (2)Lights Out for Day2, Day3 Atriedes much choose 1) or 3), Day 4 Harkonnen must choose 1) or 3)

RULE: The Scum
The scum are the only other faction in this game, there are no 3rd parties. As they are working to eliminate the ruler of the thread they're in, including scum in a raiding party can be extremely dangerous.

RULE: Cardflip
Cardflips come in the following format: Player Name, (Alignment, Creed, and Class). No details about the player's powers will be posted, except for what you can assume based on that information.

quote:

Example TOWN cardflip: Opopanax, Town-aligned Atriedes Soldier, has been killed Night 0.
Example SCUM cardflip: winvirus, Scum-aligned Harkonnen Assassin, had been killed night 0.

RULE: Battle Assignment
Raiding parties typically consist of 5 players: 3 in the front row, 2 in the back row.

RULE: Battle Actions
When you are assigned to battle, there is a 24 hour period between assignment and resolution. In that period, if you are in the raiding party you must PM your battle action to your thread’s mod before the 24 hours is up.

If your ability says "Melee", you can only strike FRONT-to-FRONT.
If your ability says "Ranged", you can strike REAR-to-FRONT or FRONT-to-REAR.

If the enemy does not have a front rank somehow, their rear rank immediately becomes their front rank as you rush in to kill the soft, delicious ranged attackers.

RULE: Battle Resolution
Battles are resolved like night phases in normal Mafia, in order of combatants' Addiction statistic. Abilities in the round go off in the order: Debuffs > Buffs > Attacks > Healing.

Dying
If you are reduced to 0 HP at any point during the DAY phase, you IMMEDIATELY die. If you are reduced to 0 HP in a BATTLE, you are incapacitated and cannot function any further, however you do not actually die until the END of the battle!

RULE: Thread Kings In Battle
The Thread Ruler may not personally take the field unless he is unable to assign 5 other players, in which case he is forced to take the field and assign himself to the Front Rank.

RULE: Initiative
Every turn (lynch cycle), the battle/lynch initiative alternates between the Harkonnen thread and the Atreides thread, the first defender is the Atreides ruler, and the first raid is decided by the Harkonnen ruler. When the thread ruler who possesses the raid initiative assigns his raiding party, he also chooses the Battlefield (see 2nd post) where the fight will take place.

RULE: Battle Victory
Battles victory is determined in the following order:
1) the number of casualties caused in battle
2) If the above is equal, then the amount of real damage caused is compared (total party hp HP at start of battle compared to total party hp at end.)
3) Offense wins if both 1) and 2) are a stalemate.

busb fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Opop has left me high and dry with zero games so I will play this one.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Here have a timeless quote from the master himself:

Tao Jones posted:

I HAVE THE GALL to assure you that the game will proceed to conclusion this time!

Signups:
  1. Diqnol (anime gently caress pillow)
  2. mr capps
  3. Jakep
  4. Ixtilton (goddamnit were you f5ing the game room constantly or something?
  5. Rarity
  6. Tremendous Taste
  7. Ernierutuernured.
  8. merk
  9. meinburg
  10. CapitalistPig (don't disappoint everyone!)
  11. The Betrayer (MEDS CURES SCHIZOS)
  12. Asiina
  13. GulagDolls (diqnol's bitch)
  14. Pinterest Mum
  15. Magnus Gallant
  16. Propaganda Machine
  17. CCKeane
  18. King Burgundy
  19. winvirus
  20. apostatecourier
  21. Puntification
  22. DGK9000
  23. Fat Samurai
  24. Hal Incandenza
  25. Little Mac
  26. chaoslord
  27. Lumpen
  28. dorkanoid
  29. natx
  30. Your Personal Muse
  31. Somberbrero
  32. Juanito
  33. Brazen Apothecary
  34. 50 pounds of bread

Replacements:
  1. wins90210

busb fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 1, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sign me up

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Me pls

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I will be a benign and honorable king and wish my opponent, Mr Capps, Duke Leto of Atredies, luck. Those of you who serve under me will need to work hard, there is no doubt of that, and I'm sure I will have need of your blood, but it is for the good of Harkonnen.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

in as long as i am in the thread that is trying to kill diqnol!!!!!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Signing up for the capps thread. Thanks in advance.

edit: dibs on the infant that talks without a fully formed jaw.

merk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 26, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ixtlilton posted:

Opop has left me high and dry with zero games so I will play this one.

That was my plan all along!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I would also like to volunteer for Capps thread. He is the king we deserve.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ernie. posted:

in as long as i am in the thread that is trying to kill diqnol!!!!!

Make mine muadib

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Meinberg posted:

I would also like to volunteer for Capps thread. He is the king we deserve.

I'm the far more powerful king.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
In requesting Capps team, also promising not to post role pm.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dibs on Piter de Vries.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I also want to be in capps thread. Also I will be gone for a week starting on Wednesday. I'm not sure how fast you were planning on getting this going but I would love to play if possible.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

It seems like we're not thinking this through....

I want to be in the Diqnol thread

as scum

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I can't promise I won't disappoint anyone. But I can promise I won't get myself modkilled.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
notice: i will be ignoring all flavor in this game and will pretend to be Yang Wen-li

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i will sign up if it is predetermined that I will be put in capps' thread, and if that doesn't happen, then i will post my role pm, and also gently caress you busb

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This looks dumb and overly complex and I'll play.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

i will sign up if it is predetermined that I will be put in capps' thread, and if that doesn't happen, then i will post my role pm, and also gently caress you busb

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

only i am allowed to use this power asiina

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I pulled some strings and gulag is in my thread.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone please play in the diqnol thread so he doesn't throw a fit.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
capps thread me please

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
In my opinion both capps and diqnol will make interesting Rulers. RNG will be responsible for the thread distribution anyway.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

busb posted:

In my opinion both capps and diqnol will make interesting Rulers. RNG will be responsible for the thread distribution anyway.

you wouldn't need to say this if both rulers were equally as amiable and therefore people wanted to be in both threads in equal measures

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah put me in the Capps thread too ple-

mr.capps posted:

notice: i will be ignoring all flavor in this game and will pretend to be Yang Wen-li

...Never mind

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

look, it has nothing to do with diqnol being a moron, or a byob poster, or consistently completely obnoxious, or having a bad avatar, or having a bad username, or having a medal that I can only guess was awarded to him in a competition called 'the biggest loser' but its not like the tv show it has nothing to do with weight, or the fact that he smells. it has nothing to do with any of that, I am completely unbiased. I Just want to be an anime and not a sandman or whatever

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
if i am in the dicknose thread i will troll him until he kills me

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Still time to replace Capps with me busb

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

look, it has nothing to do with diqnol being a moron, or a byob poster, or consistently completely obnoxious, or having a bad avatar, or having a bad username, or having a medal that I can only guess was awarded to him in a competition called 'the biggest loser' but its not like the tv show it has nothing to do with weight, or the fact that he smells. it has nothing to do with any of that, I am completely unbiased. I Just want to be an anime and not a sandman or whatever

I'm actually none of these things except obnoxious.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

busb, I will happily accept whatever thread so long as I am Piter de Vries.

That is all.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Do we get to choose what thread we are playing in? Also when is this game going to start, approximately?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Magnus Gallant posted:

Do we get to choose what thread we are playing in?

busb posted:

RNG will be responsible for the thread distribution

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Magnus Gallant posted:

Do we get to choose what thread we are playing in? Also when is this game going to start, approximately?

No, not really re: choice of thread, i will be RNGing. If you have an actual reason for thread choice you may PM me, but unfortunately, "anime" is not a legitimate answer.

Game planned to start next week. May start earlier if signups fill quickly but i expect them to trickle in over the next week.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Thanks CPig or should I say busb.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

No, not really re: choice of thread, i will be RNGing. If you have an actual reason for thread choice you may PM me, but unfortunately, "anime" is not a legitimate answer.

Game planned to start next week. May start earlier if signups fill quickly but i expect them to trickle in over the next week.

Ok I'm in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Paypal me $20 and I'll put you in whatever thread you want. Don't tell busb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i wanna be in the saturday morning cartoon thread :v:

• Locked thread