Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So, here's the deal.

I adopted a cat from a good friend's boyfriend. Said friend is super allergic. She gave kitty a fair chance, but being around her caused all kinds of medical issues. She and boyfriend are serious enough to move in together, so boyfriend made the hard choice of adopting out the cat. I'd been pining for a cat for some time, so after going to his apartment and hanging out with said cat, I happily took her on.

She's great. Probably about six years old. She's sweet and affectionate. She sleeps just above my head, and comes to cuddle quite often, and hops into my lap all the time. I couldn't have asked for better chemistry.

Here's the problem.

Apparently, she was weaned too early. As a result, she has an insane oral fixation. Anytime any part of my body is close to her face, she licks and licks and licks. Some licks are okay; she's a loving cat. But all the time? Man. It's downright physically uncomfortable, and it even kind of impedes on my sleep.

I'm not going to give up on her. Even if the licking is a lost cause, she's wonderful and I love her. Like I said, her demeanor is sweet as pie. It's just, if there's any way to get this licking habit down to rest, I'd love to hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ack, I'm sorry if this didn't deserve its own thread. New in here :(

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, welcome to having a busted cat. I am in a similar boat except my cat goes full hog and sucks on skin - particularly aims for the face/neck and earlobes. He mostly does it when I am in bed and I absolutely hate it.

He is now 2.5 years old and during this time I have tried to dissuade him by:

- pushing him away
- yelling at him
- smacking him in the head repeatedly
- making angry cat hissy noises at him
- buying him a tiny kitten bottle (you can see the desperation mounting there)
- trying to get him used to kneading/sucking on fabric

None of these have worked to break the habit - most cause him to flatten his ears and suck harder (before he is forcibly removed) except for the bottle which instead had the teat ripped off and eaten by my other cat who shat it out 3 weeks later.

I spoke to my vet about it and she suggested that I soak a rag in butter and try to redirect him onto it; but acknowledged that having butter soaked rags in bed was kind of gross. Additionally, Hugo doesn't recognise non-biscuits as food and is confused by butter. Your results may vary with your own cat. The only 'relief' from the onslaught was when he developed a slightly less disgusting yet uniquely painful habit of trying to knead me in the side of chest/arm/armpit. Now it is 50/50 whether he will try to suck or tenderise my flesh.

Now when he starts I just push him away repeatedly until he gets the message and sits on my feet instead. But it's something we have to go through every night.

So there you go.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
I managed to get my cat, the runt of the litter, to break that particular habit by dipping the end of a cotton handkerchief into gravy and letting her lick it off. I wrapped a gravy soaked hanky round my finger at first and gradually moved her on to just the tip of the hanky. She now occasionally sucks at my clothes, but fortunately not me. Butter wouldn't have worked with her either as she just doesn't recognise dairy products as food.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I adopted a 17 year old cat that humped everything in sight, including me. I used to wake up to him humping my knee. I just repeatedly shoved him off and shouted NO. Consistently, for months. He finally redirected himself to his flannel, donut shaped bed, which he humps (very vocally) several times a day. But not me anymore.

(He straddles the edge of the bed, and actually humps his way around the bed).

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I laughed at many of these posts. Mostly at the image of a cat humping around a bed.

Sorry your kitty is broken.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

Echeveria posted:

I adopted a 17 year old cat that humped everything in sight, including me. I used to wake up to him humping my knee. I just repeatedly shoved him off and shouted NO. Consistently, for months. He finally redirected himself to his flannel, donut shaped bed, which he humps (very vocally) several times a day. But not me anymore.

(He straddles the edge of the bed, and actually humps his way around the bed).

Someone else with a cat who's broken like mine! Mine is 4, and his preferred partner (or victim?) in perversion is the dog's squeaky toys, those long furry animal-shaped ones that are unstuffed? Yeah. Cat yowling around the house while humping a fox, giraffe, rabbit, whatever. He likes an audience, so it's a guaranteed conversation starter when we have company. The dog, by the way, emphatically disapproves of this unauthorized use of his toys but has been unable to prevent it.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
This is the best thread right now.

We have both, a humper and a chronic suckler. The older one will chase the younger throughout the house when we're in the shower and right after we've gone to bed, yowling (LOUDLY) and desperately trying to mount him, despite the fact they're both boys and neutered. The younger has mommy issues and suckles on our clothes. He also kneads, which helps to remind us when his claws need clipping. I actually caught him pulling off a sad attempt to hump the older cat this morning. You taught him that behavior, you horndog, don't be surprised when he does the same to you.

Sorry Propaganda, I don't know how to remedy your situation. :( Maybe you can bathe in sour apple spray from now on.

phillij
Jul 22, 2012
As a kitten, before he was neutered my cat would suckle his own penis and purr like crazy. He would do it after cuddling up with me on the bed. He had absolutely no inclination to do it after he was neutered thank goodness! Freaked us all out needless to say!

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Our 6 year old boy, Rumble will lick my ears in the morning. We call it "Going for the source" as his sister, Frenzy LOVES earwax. He licks and licks my earlobe and it hurts, I'll whimper and my husband will shoo him off, holding his hand over my ear for protection. This will happen about 10 times on a weekend morning.

Eventually we started licking our finger and touching his nose with it. The combination of morning breath and nose-bopping (like moma used to do!) puts him on 'snooze'.

Our new baby kitten Gamora (10 weeks) licks whenever she plays. I'm hoping she transfers this to Rumble TBQH.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Mofette posted:

Our 6 year old boy, Rumble will lick my ears in the morning. We call it "Going for the source" as his sister, Frenzy LOVES earwax. He licks and licks my earlobe and it hurts, I'll whimper and my husband will shoo him off, holding his hand over my ear for protection. This will happen about 10 times on a weekend morning.

Eventually we started licking our finger and touching his nose with it. The combination of morning breath and nose-bopping (like moma used to do!) puts him on 'snooze'.

Our new baby kitten Gamora (10 weeks) licks whenever she plays. I'm hoping she transfers this to Rumble TBQH.
Rumble and Frenzy? You're a goon after my own heart. :allears:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

You guys have given me the hiccoughs.

light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

My 11 year old cat has done the licking/suckling since he was a kitten. When he's on his prozac for peeing issues, he doesn't do it, but when he's sober I have to kick his rear end off the bed 23409820394 times to get him to stop :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Update:

I sleep on my back and that's basically an open invitation for her to get all up on my chest and lick me in places where it's logistically difficult for me to bat her away.

I think she's overcompensating because I've taken to flinching, batting lightly at her, and saying her name in a displeased tone when she goes after me on the couch.

Also all these humping kitties are hilarious. Thanks for the stories. My last cat was super humpy and meowy. Then I got her fixed. I guess I don't understand why fixed cats would hump things.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Subforum name has never been nor will ever again be this accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I would try and get a video of my old man humping his donut bed, but if I watch him for more than like 10 seconds he stops mid thrust and looks up at me guiltily.

• Locked thread