Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Watched Akira a long time ago. It was hyped to me, but I didn't really enjoy it at all. In fact, I thought about turning it off several times throughout, but figured I should stick through because of how good it was supposed to be.

I didn't get it. Maybe it was too deep for me. But it felt like I was legitimately missing like three other movies' worth of plot.

The animation was alright, but since the whole story was nonsensical it was very unappealing. Is there a special reason why everyone likes Akira kinda the same way everyone revers the Mona Lisa even though it's a small portrait of some random woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you should read the manga because that has the rest of the plot

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
You forgot to pretend it was Twenty Six Years Ago while watching.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

what does it matter if it was made twenty size years ago?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was just the first anime to get really popular in the west that more than a frame of animation per second.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LaTex Fetish posted:

The animation was alright,

nice try troll

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LaTex Fetish posted:

Watched Akira a long time ago. It was hyped to me, but I didn't really enjoy it at all. In fact, I thought about turning it off several times throughout, but figured I should stick through because of how good it was supposed to be.

I didn't get it. Maybe it was too deep for me. But it felt like I was legitimately missing like three other movies' worth of plot.

The animation was alright, but since the whole story was nonsensical it was very unappealing. Is there a special reason why everyone likes Akira kinda the same way everyone revers the Mona Lisa even though it's a small portrait of some random woman?

Has the Mona Lisa ever done this:

Nope, she just smiles like a moron.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

nice try troll

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was just the first anime to get really popular in the west that more than a frame of animation per second.

so that's it? the story sucks but the animation was cool?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
why would you watch anime for story

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

You're gonna be disappointed if you watch anime films looking for conhesion or any real conclusion. Most are just "a bunch of crazy poo poo happened" and you're just along for the ride.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

ghost in the shell?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Being 13 enough to go "gently caress yeah, this is a gory as poo poo cartoon" helps.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LaTex Fetish posted:

so that's it? the story sucks but the animation was cool?

Pretty much.

The manga was better because it actually has the rest of the story.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The animation is loving astounding even in TYOOL 2014, the art direction is the best-realized attempt at bringing the cyberpunk aesthetic to life that I can think of, and even truncated the plot is still pretty good.

e: Like I honestly cannot think of anything, eastern or western, better animated than Akira. Redline and the original Ghost in the Shell both come pretty close but they still don't quite match it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The animation is loving astounding even in TYOOL 2014, the art direction is the best-realized attempt at bringing the cyberpunk aesthetic to life that I can think of, and even truncated the plot is still pretty good.

e: Like I honestly cannot think of anything, eastern or western, better animated than Akira. Redline and the original Ghost in the Shell both come pretty close but they still don't quite match it.
the lion king

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

You should have watched Aim for the Ace first OP, Akira is a parody of it.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
If you wonder what anime is or want to see what cartoons are capable of I'd say watch

1. Akira
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. FLCL
4. Red Line
5. Grave of the Fire Flies / My Neighbor Totoro

Just to get a grasp of some master craftsmen animation work, varying stories, what animation can do etc. If you don't like any of them it's cool, just try to be as open as possible and try to put on the filter of a person who enjoys animated films. Like if you knew poo poo about wine you'd have a better time giving some effort into finding the flavors that other people are getting out of it if you got to a winetasting. Or something like that, I know poo poo about wine.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

at least red line had a good, simple story. being seven years hand drawn doesn't mean the story/plot/whatever gets to be nonsensical

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

chefscientist posted:

If you wonder what anime is or want to see what cartoons are capable of I'd say watch

1. Akira
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. FLCL
4. Red Line
5. Grave of the Fire Flies / My Neighbor Totoro

Just to get a grasp of some master craftsmen animation work, varying stories, what animation can do etc. If you don't like any of them it's cool, just try to be as open as possible and try to put on the filter of a person who enjoys animated films. Like if you knew poo poo about wine you'd have a better time giving some effort into finding the flavors that other people are getting out of it if you got to a winetasting. Or something like that, I know poo poo about wine.

I wouldn't recommend FLCL to someone who's main complaint is that anime often have nonsense stories.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I wouldn't recommend FLCL to someone who's main complaint is that anime often have nonsense stories.

the story is literally "kid learns to be happy", it's simple and straightforward as poo poo. it beats you over the head with its themes so hard it's not even funny. people who say FLCL is nonsensical don't understand the difference between story and plot

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Otomo did the manga as well as writing/directing the movie, yeah?

That would explain the vibe of "I just want to animate the parts that looked cool in my head" feeling the movie gives off

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

icantfindaname posted:

the story is literally "kid learns to be happy", it's simple and straightforward as poo poo. it beats you over the head with its themes so hard it's not even funny. people who say FLCL is nonsensical don't understand the difference between story and plot

I must've watched that show like 4 times over the years, and I still don't understand it. :shrug:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I gave it up the first time halfway through just because I was tired of seemly random stuff happening. I enjoyed it more the second time and liked the spectacle at least but I'm not going to pretend to understand what was actually going on.

My first anime I liked was Trigun so maybe go with that?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I first saw Akira back around 92 or so, I was 7 or 8. Loved what I saw, but it took me many years and multiple rewatches to actually understand the plot. The old dub did not do any favors and the terminology thrown around was confusing and hard to follow. Eventually I understood who people were and what their motivations were. I didn't read the manga until a year or so ago.

I think the biggest confusion for me was the ending. It took me forever to wrap my head around what happened when "the bomb" went off in the stadium.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Relin posted:

the lion king

I'll actually totally give you The Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty & the Beast on that one. I don't think they're quite as good looking as Akira but that's mostly just an aesthetic preference (I am a massive whore for cyberpunk stuff), they're all masterpieces.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'll actually totally give you The Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty & the Beast on that one. I don't think they're quite as good looking as Akira but that's mostly just an aesthetic preference (I am a massive whore for cyberpunk stuff), they're all masterpieces.

what are some of your favorite cyberpunk movies/shows? very curious because i want to dive more into that genre. don't include ghost in the shell and its derivatives

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cyber City Oedo is the only good cyberpunk anime, and only if you watch the dub.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAJdtPVnZc

Akira the film is only notable for animation and I guess soundtrack. But when you're talking about animation, you are either talking about any other animated film, or you are talking about Akira.

That said storywise it's the same thing as Nausicaa. Otomo and Miyazaki both wanted to make a film, so they made a manga to fun it, but said manga turned out to be infinitely better than the film they wanted to make. Those six loving TOMES you buy Akira in are all incredible.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

icantfindaname posted:

i thought flcl was about a kid getting his first boner

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Akira isn't like nonsensical though. I guess there's a lot of plot in the manga that got left out, idk cause I never read it. It like somehow manages to be dense and sparse at the same time, sure it's not exactly the pinnacle of effective storytelling, but if you really didn't understand it you were either not paying attention or trying too hard to understand it, imo.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

what are some of your favorite cyberpunk movies/shows? very curious because i want to dive more into that genre. don't include ghost in the shell and its derivatives

Unironically good stuff: Ergo Proxy, Psycho-Pass, Texhnolyze, VOTOMS, Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed (gently caress you it predates GitS). If you're willing to read manga, also look up Eden: It's an Endless World! and pretty much anything by Tsutomu Nihei (BLAME!, Biomega, Knights of Sidonia, NOiSE, etc).

Kinda bad but still entertaining stuff: Genocyber, Cyber City OEDO 808, Angel Cop, Black Magic M-66, MD Geist

e: Genocyber is actually kind of on a weird borderline between being unironically awesome and being a huge shitpile. It has really, really nice art direction and mechanical designs (some of the tricks they use to hide the stupid-low budget are genuinely really neat), and it's :black101: as gently caress, but it's also more or less incomprehensible and goes to total poo poo after the third episode (out of five).

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 28, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Synonamess Botch posted:

Akira isn't like nonsensical though. I guess there's a lot of plot in the manga that got left out, idk cause I never read it. It like somehow manages to be dense and sparse at the same time, sure it's not exactly the pinnacle of effective storytelling, but if you really didn't understand it you were either not paying attention or trying too hard to understand it, imo.

Akira is 6 gigantic volumes and the film covers, sparsely, the first two and then a bit from the end of the 6th. Left out is, among other things, the latter half of the series taking place in a vaporized Tokyo where Tetsuo and a (very much alive) Akira run an empire.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Rodyle posted:

Akira is 6 gigantic volumes and the film covers, sparsely, the first two and then a bit from the end of the 6th. Left out is, among other things, the latter half of the series taking place in a vaporized Tokyo where Tetsuo and a (very much alive) Akira run an empire.

Sure but I mean my point is that the movie as it stands is far from nonsensical, regardless of what is omitted from the manga.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

LaTex Fetish posted:

Throwing in Armitage III as recommendation.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366186/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Akira manga is much longer, more complex story wise, and also is more spelled out in terms of what is happening. I would recommend reading it.

However, I would say that the movie is the better work. The movie focuses on basically the best parts of the manga, and the narrowness of focus makes things like Tetsuo and Kaneda's relationship more convincing. The manga's long long action scenes make you basically forget about that. There is just so little there to make you think that these characters are supposed to be friends, and that therefore we are supposed to be sympathetic to Tetsuo as he is raping and massacring his way through Tokyo.

Did I mention rape? Yes, there is a lot of rape in the manga. Not just by antagonists, but Kaneda also tries to rape Kei, but it's a trick you see because he was really stealing her gun. Also she falls in love with him later because ???.

The final ending of the manga drops the ball entirely, because there is suddenly this lurch into nationalism. Oh no, it turns out all the antagonists are good guys now, because they are standing up to the Americans! Never mind that millions have died. No, let's not forget what Tetsuo's drug crazed rape cult really stood for, which is kicking out US aid workers so that Japan can be Strong. Let all the heroes profess their determination to continue that legacy. Happy ending.

Basically the Akira manga is well drawn, but really really dumb.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I'll throw Battle Angel Alita in for Cyberpunk recommendations. It's not the best but it's still pretty fun to watch.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

darealkooky posted:

i thought flcl was about a kid getting his first boner

DrSunshine posted:

I must've watched that show like 4 times over the years, and I still don't understand it. :shrug:

http://animeyearbyyear.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/2001-2/

here's a ton of words by a guy who does spergy film analysis about anime. read the paragraphs on flcl

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

yep, watched the first episode of bubblegum crisis last night.

I really understand what you guys mean as far as animation goes. Bubblegum seems really fun and cool, but, yeah, the animation is pretty choppy at times. Really cool cyberpunk show and I hope it doesn't turn to poo poo during the next 5 or so episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LaTex Fetish posted:

Really cool cyberpunk show and I hope it doesn't turn to poo poo during the next 5 or so episodes.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

tell me if its bad so I dont waste my time

• Locked thread