Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kylra posted:

Also why does it seem like the game won't ever give me good tactical shields until I am almost done with the level. :(

I suspect the game has a desire algorithm, because I get so many tactical shields that I use them for upgrade fodder (I use Agile shields exclusively).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
That cliffhanger. Where's the part where I find out the value of my Roth retirement account!??!? :argh:

E: There's a marriage proposal in the credits.

E2: Also I like how at the end of the game the most deadly enemy rotates back around to skeleton archers.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 31, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kyrosiris posted:

I suspect the game has a desire algorithm, because I get so many tactical shields that I use them for upgrade fodder (I use Agile shields exclusively).

Just as a heads up to people going through the campaign: There is a midboss in Act 4 that I'm pretty sure is basically impossible to beat without an Agile shield, so hold onto at least one good Agile pattern.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I did the entire game from a little before the loading break in the ice all the way to the end with only tactical shields without too much of a problem. At least not where agile would have saved me. I don't recall any bosses where I really wanted infinite blink. I do remember a few situations where I really liked having galvanized block though.

Not to mention a much larger shield pool to help prevent pips from being 1-shot.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 1, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo, Delirium is really nice. That damage-blunting effect on Destruction spells is amazing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If anyone is having trouble in this game, agile shields are basically the easy mode, imo. It doesn't matter how bad you are at making/casting good spells if you can just blink to safety anytime anything is after you. The only time agile shields are a bit not-as-good is during the challenge maps where they love to put pits everywhere. I've had more than one otherwise excellent challenge map run ended by an unfortunate blink.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tactical and Galvanized block everything on audio cues.

Sorry any deaf/hard of hearing people. :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've got a kinky masterpool, then I swap over to an control ice bolt, then do a kinky destruction lob. This is pretty cool, but I think there could be a better ice option. Is lob basically the best, maybe I should do an ice lob freeze instead. This game is cool, makin spells is cool. Spaghettimancer wizard supreme, eat it monsters.

ProtoBlues
Jul 31, 2013
Fair warning for the end though, NG+ is really just a bunch of challenge maps where you can fight enemies/defend points ect. They aren't too bad, but there is currently no way to actually replay the game using your current character. Once you defeat the final boss fast travel is disabled as well so make sure you know what you want before you do.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So, I've noticed two things playing this over the weekend.

1) The game *really* reminds me of the new Shadow Warrior. Something about the level construction, how the spells feel to cast, and the encounter design started to feel super similar once I hit the ice area. If you like this, you should definitely check out Shadow Warrior as well.

2) Unlike Shadow Warrior, I'm finding the combat pretty samey so far. It seems the best answer really is to have one mastery spell, one control spell, and one destruction spell, and then always to use them in that sequence. Rays seem pretty bad, Novas aren't super useful, and Area attacks take so long to cast that I generally find myself doing the same Lob/Lob/Missile combo every time, regardless of what enemy I'm fighting. Did I just quickly fall into a local maximum or is that kinda how the game stays throughout the experience?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I dunno, I absolutely love pool spells. You can set them up preemptively, blink in with a charged Nova, and then back-blink out to your multi-layered pool of death where you pelt the helpless victims with missiles.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't quite pinpoint the mechanics of the galvanised block. Are you supposed to hold RMB preemptively, and release it when your enemy strikes? Or, just tap RMB when they strike? Or hold it for like half a second when they're charging up their attack but haven't actually struck you yet?

It still works for me on maybe 1/3rd of the attempts, but things are a little hectic for me to figure out which 1/3rd is the right one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't quite pinpoint the mechanics of the galvanised block. Are you supposed to hold RMB preemptively, and release it when your enemy strikes? Or, just tap RMB when they strike? Or hold it for like half a second when they're charging up their attack but haven't actually struck you yet?

It still works for me on maybe 1/3rd of the attempts, but things are a little hectic for me to figure out which 1/3rd is the right one.

I believe that it's you need to have pressed RMB within a half second of their strike connecting. Honestly, I found the mechanics of galvanized blocks finicky enough that I just use Agile shields all the time. Infinite quick dash + charge dash is good enough for me.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I always did RMB just before getting hit then hold until after strike and had no issues with it working. I'm pretty sure you have to release it after the strike though, or else the block falls off. The galvanize timer is when it has the big extra flares around the circle before it fades to the regular circle.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Just start blocking about a half second before you get hit. There isn't any other funny business you need to do.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So this game just popped up on Steam Sale? Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

So this game just popped up on Steam Sale? Is it worth it?

It's a good game for what it's trying to do. I didn't end up finishing it however; the crafting and upgrade system was a bit laborious. If you liked the Shadow Warrior reboot I think there's a good chance you might enjoy this.

• Locked thread