Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGrandMystic
Aug 7, 2007

Bayushi Kuroda - Bayushi Courtier

An up-and-coming courtier and magistrate from Ryoko Owari, Bayushi Kuroda is, much like any other member of the samurai class, troubled by the pace at which Rokugan is changing and the ways of life that have governed the Emerald Empire for hundreds of years being cast aside so wantonly. The rebellion within the Scorpion lands in 811, the slaughter of many a close family friend at the hands of Imperial Legionnaires, and the continuous occupation of ancestral homes even after the rebellion is quelled open Kuroda's eyes to just how imbalancing Empress Miesho's vision for Rokugan is and how even Heaven may slowly be turning against this pathway into the future. He becomes much more firmly entrenched in the Restorationist faction, however, when early in 812 he is visited by an ancestral spirit on his father's side, that of Bayushi Shuzo. Many a long night is spent in conversation with Shuzo, a warrior from the time of White Stag that fought tirelessly to drive the devils of Thrane from the land, and it is in learning about the glory days of long ago - a time where traditions are more than just respected but actually matter - that Kuroda is truly convinced that something needs to be done lest Heaven bring their wrath upon the whole of the Empire.

Many Scorpion secretly support the Restorationists and Kuroda is no exception: alongside a small network of young clan magistrates and junior assistants to the clan's court ambassadors, he works to divert supplies in the direction of the City of Two Rivers, convinces others to join in their cause, and maneuvers like-minded individuals into current and future positions of influence. Victory by the Restorationists at the First Battle of Two Rivers and readings of the stars indicating Heaven's favor for their cause brings quite a number of sympathizers out of the shadows; seeing that the time is right, Kuroda makes his plans to reach the City of Two Rivers and take his place among those that would turn back Emperor Kano's twisted vision of the future and restore order and balance to the way of life in Rokugan. As the Scorpion lands are still infested with Imperial troops, however, Kuroda calls in a favor with a clan merchant-patron to get him the papers necessary in order to be all but smuggled to safer lands, a favor that he is sure will have to be repaid later.

Once in the lands of the Restorationists, Kuroda begins working to ensure order, peace, and the law are brought to the land. From behind the screens, however, he works with his fellow Scorpion in the city to write to those still in the lands of Rokugan proper to recruit them, coordinate the smuggling of supplies, forge the papers that allow maneuvering of men and material in the Empire, trade favors for a political downfall here and an "accident" over there, and other deeds nobody need know about - not right now, at least. Such deeds, he believes, will pay off in the long run: the future Shogunate will, much like the Emperor, require an Underhand if the ways of Bushido were to truly be preserved for generations to come...

TL;DR: Scorpion courtier gonna plot and scheme to assist the Might in making things Right! And probably get something out of it all for himself, of course.

pre:
Personal:
Name: Bayushi Kuroda
Family: Bayushi
School: Bayushi Courtier
Honor: 2.5
Glory: 1.0
Insight: 136
School Rank: 1
XP: 0

Rings:
Air 3
	Reflexes 3
	Awareness 3

Earth 2
	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2

Fire 2
	Agility 3
	Intelligence 2

Water 2
	Strength 2
	Perception 2

Void 2

Skills:
Artisan: Poetry 1 (Awareness)
Calligraphy 2 (Intelligence)
Courtier 3 (Awareness)
	Emphasis: Gossip
	Rank 3: +3 Insight
Defense 1 (Reflexes)
Etiquette 3 (Awareness)
	Emphasis: Courtesy 
	Rank 3: +3 Insight
Forgery 1 (Agility)
Investigation 2 (Perception)
Kyujutsu 1 (Reflexes)
Lore: Bushido 1 (Intelligence)
Lore: Heraldry 1 (Intelligence)
Sincerity 3 (Awareness)
	Emphasis: Deceit
Temptation 1 (Awareness)

Techniques:
Weakness Is My Strength
	When making Contested Social Roll against someone else, Free Raise given for 
	every three points of Mental or Social Disadvantages person possesses. Free 
	Raise when using Courtier skill to spread gossip and do not need Raise in order
	to conceal self as source of gossip.

Advantages:
Clear Thinker
	+1k0 to Contested Rolls against someone attempting to confuse or manipulate Kuroda
Heartless
	+1k0 to resist Courtier, Sincerity, and Temptation rolls where someone is attempting
	to persuade, seduce, or change Kuroda's mind/opinion/etc.
Touch of the Spirit Realms (Meido)
	+2k0 to Contested Rolls versus attempts to manipulate Kuroda in social interactions

Disadvantages:
Driven
	To restore the value of tradition to the Empire; to obtain high position in the new
	Shogunate
Haunted
	Haunted by ancestral spirit; -1k1 to roll of GM's choice 1/session if ancestor angry
Lechery
	+1k1 to opponent's Temptation (Seduction) rolls
Obligation (3 points)
	Must give attention to fulfill minor obligation 

Items:
Wakizashi, Yumi, Extravagant Clothing, Calligraphy Set, 2 koku
Traveling Pack: Personal seal, makeup kit, spare kimono and sandals, bottle of water, fan, parchment and charcoal, tea set, smoking pipe, wicker umbrella, mask
Purchased: Blank book/journal, bowyer's kit, chopsticks, sake cup, small knife, tatami mat, furoshiki sack, walking stick, 10 willow leaf arrows

TheGrandMystic fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Shosuro Satoshi - Shosuro Infiltrator

The Scorpion Clan is deeply interested in the growing Restorationist movement in the north. Concern over motives and plans, the lack of influence they currently have near Seppun Tadaka, and the sudden religious and spiritual signs have many of the Clan's leadership concerned. Shosuro Satoshi's mentor and teacher, Shosuro Rin, has dispatched Satoshi to join the Restorationists and report. It is his first serious assignment, a true test of his abilities and duty. In truth, Satoshi was relieved to get the assignment, it absolved him of months of concerns and doubts, at least for the time being. His mind had been clear as the day he left Scorpion lands; his duty was simple, if not easy. Make his way there, get as close to Seppun Tadaka as he could, learn as much as possible. For now, he was to assist as much as he could, under the guise of being only a young, skilled swordsman and trained scout, eager to aid Seppun Tadaka's growing rebellion. He was to report back as able, through another contact already in the City of Two Rivers, and he was to otherwise wait.

However, as he traveled, Satoshi grew less certain. He'd heard whispers that some of the Scorpion were assisting the rebels, or were sympathetic to the Restoration movement at least. A small number, though certainly growing, had already left the Empire to join Seppun Tadaka. Deep down, Satoshi counted himself among them. The slow erosion of their status and rights and usefulness had bothered him. The rebellion and the wave of death it had brought to Scorpion lands had been the tipping point for him. He was no stranger to death or even murder, but there was a precision to what he did. The Shosuro did not need to smash a house to kill a fly, unlike the Empresses forces. Their own Champion had died to preserve the honor of the Clan, something the Empress and her successor did not seem to care about. It was still uncertain, in Satoshi's eyes, which way the Scorpion clan would fall if it came to that.

Shortly after he arrived, Seppun Tadaka's announcement of the creation of the Shinsengumi went out. Satoshi smiled inside, seeing the first steps of his real task before him, an omen of things to come.

pre:
Personal:
Name: Shosuro Satoshi
Family: Shosuro
School: Shosuro Infiltrator
Honor: 1.5
Insight: 133

Rings:
Air 3
	Reflexes 3
	Awareness 3

Earth 2
	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2

Fire 2
	Agility 3
	Intelligence 2

Water 2
	Strength 2
	Perception 2

Void 2

Skills:
Acting          2 (Awareness)
Etiquette       2 (Awareness)
Investigation   2 (Perception)
    Emphasis: Notice
Sincerity       2 (Awareness)
    Emphasis: Deceit
Athletics       2 (Strength)
Ninjutsu        2 (Agi or Ref)
Stealth         3 (Agility)
    Emphasis: Sneaking
    Rank 3: Move faster while sneaking
Kenjutsu        3 (Agility)
    Rank 3: +1k0 damage with swords
Iaijutsu        3 (Reflexes)
    Rank 3: ready Katana as free action
Defense         1 (Reflexes)
Sleight of Hand 1 (Agility)

Techniques:
Rank 1: The Path of Shadows
	The first lesson of an infiltrator is to mask all signs of one's true nature.  You lose no 
        Honor for use of Low Skills in the service of the Scorpion Clan.  You gain a bonus of +2k0 
        to the total of all Stealth rolls.

Advantages:
Silent
        Add +1k0 to all Stealth rolls	
Wary
	When rolling Investigation (Notice)/Perception against Stealth (Ambush)/Agility, you add +1k1
        to your roll.

Disadvantages:
Dark Secret
	Satoshi is a Ninja in service to the Scorpion Clan.
Insensitive
        With the exception of those who contribute directly to my well being, must spend a void point
        to place myself at risk for the welfare of anyone else, unless there is an immediate benefit 
        for me personally.

Items:
Light Armor, Sturdy Black Clothes, Daisho, Knife, 5 koku Ninja-to
Traveling Pack
:ninja:

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
How do you feel about new players? I've never played the system before, but I've always thought the setting seemed fun (if rather involved), and a story reminiscent on the Boshin War/Meiji Restoration era is pretty appealing.

Is there an IRC channel or anything where someone might be able to help me out?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Viscardus posted:

How do you feel about new players? I've never played the system before, but I've always thought the setting seemed fun (if rather involved), and a story reminiscent on the Boshin War/Meiji Restoration era is pretty appealing.

Is there an IRC channel or anything where someone might be able to help me out?

Go hog wild! I usually hang out in #persona.

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM

Suzume Shingen - Suzume Bushi

Shingen was born a Sparrow, and had enjoyed the modest life that being a Sparrow afforded a samurai. It was no great pain to work the fields in times of hardship, for the rewards always were to come. He had taken particular pleasure in hunting in the mountains, his skills with the yumi growing quite keen. It was not only the hunt that was thrilling, but the retelling of it to his family that excited him so much. Many years of his youth were spent like this, in a humble, pure happiness. This tale did not hold true into his adulthood, however.

As was the peculiar custom of the Sparrow clan, Shingen was much more familiar and comfortable around peasants than most samurai. He conversed freely with them, even made friends with a few. It was a day unlike most others, tension in the air. News of the Golden Road's construction finally coming to Sparrow lands had become known, the implications of which everyone was aware of. Shingen himself thought the idea of this "locomotive" to be ridiculous, and insisted to go see these construction efforts himself. He arrived at the site where the rail was planned to be laid, him and a small group of peasants watching in confusion and anger. Imperial guards watched back, sternly warning people to keep their distance. Ani, one of his friends among the villagers, grew visibly more and more frustrated as the reality of the situation settled in. They were taking the land, taking it for their railroad away from the people who had worked it for generations. Ani began to shout and curse at the guards, who shouted back and threatened. Ani took two steps too close that day, and with a bang he lie dead and bleeding. It was something Shingen would never forget, not even for a moment.

Shingen's anger and sorrow were tremendous, only kept from boiling over by his strict self-discipline. It was on that day he vowed to stop the railroad, vowed to convince the Empress (now Emperor) of the folly of these modern weapons, the importance of tradition and Bushido. Thus, when the call went out to serve Seppun and preserve the old ways, Shingen set out as quickly as he could...

pre:
Personal:
Name: Suzume Shingen
Family: Suzume
School: Suzume Bushi
Honor: 6.5
Insight: 128

Rings:
Air 3
	Reflexes 3
	Awareness 3

Earth 2
	Stamina 2
	Willpower 3

Fire 2
	Agility 2
	Intelligence 2

Water 2
	Strength 3
	Perception 2

Void 2

Skills:
Calligraphy 1
Kenjutsu (Katana) 2
Lore: History 1
Lore: Theology 1
Lore: Bushido 1
Perform: Storytelling 1
Etiquette  2
Hunting  2
Iajutsu  2
Defense 2
Kyujutsu  3 (string simple)

Techniques:
	Rank 1: All Things in Time
May reduce initiative score by 5 to add 1k0 to all attack + damage rolls for whole Combat Round

Advantages:
Strength of the Earth 2	

Disadvantages:
Overconfident 3
Driven 2 (stop the railroad)

Items:
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Yumi, Travelling Pack, 11 willow leaf arrows, 2 armor piercing arrows.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Yoritomo Kazewa

Twenty Questions time!

What clan does your character belong to?
The Mantis! Our ships sail the mighty seas, bringing spices and gems from all around! Or at least I was, I am still count myself am, and I haven't heard any word to the contrary so far so I'll just take it as granted!

What family does your character belong to?
The Yoritomo ofcourse! Named after our esteemed founder.

Is your character a bushi, a shugenja, or a courtier?
I am a Bushi. When you need to defend something, only steel and powder can truly hold something.

How would others describe your character’s appearance?
They probably regard me as a little dishevelled, but that is just my keenness! I am always ready to move and perhaps I do not take as much care for my appearance as some of the more 'immaculate' types.

What is your character’s primary motivation?
Some might expect me to say "Adventure!" or "Money!" and while I do enjoy both of those things very much, ultimately these things are pointless without clan and family and dare I say it, empire to back you up. So I believe that defending and advancing the interests of the Restoration to be the best course of action, and with that over time even the Mantis and the rest of the empire will follow sway.

Who is the person your character trusts most in the world?
My dear sensei, Yoritomo Tsubashi! He taught me what is most important, and even today he wanders the world largely untethered, practicing what he preaches. Sometimes he even comes back, with a bag full of mysteries.

What is your character’s greatest strength and weakness?
My ability to take initiative and seize the day during difficult situations! Especially in difficult times, there needs to be go-getters like me to let things fall as they may.

My greatest weakness? Well perhaps I might be a bit too willingy to throw things to the wind and let things fall as they may. That and if everything slows down I tend to lose my focus.

What does your character think of bushido?
Bushido is fine and dandy! It is an important thing that holds the empire together. Some say that it is too old-fashioned, or others that it is mutually incompatible with new technology. Nonsense! It just needs to adapt with the times, perhaps the words need to be reinterpreted rather than seen as too inflexible and unchanging. This might require some thought! Some might say this makes me strange for a Restorationist, well they're the strange ones. They'll see.

What is your character’s opinion of his clan?
The Mantis are mighty and proud, and for good reason! We took the advantage when it was offered to us and adapted ourselves to fit the growing world. The seas are effectively ours, and with that comes mighty trade ships bringing novelties and necessities from far and wide.

Is your character married?
I don't think I'm ready to get tied down for marriage yet! At least give me a few more years before I deign someone to whom I shall give my heart...

Does your character have any prejudices?
Small-minded bureaucrats! I detest them so. If they're Phoenixes that's even worse! I still do feel anger at them harbouring the murderer of our founder's father. But perhaps it is time for me to let that go.

To whom does your character owe the most loyalty?
Seppun Tadaka, ofcourse! Who else knows how things are supposed to be, though he and the others may require some persuading that they take the right course within this course, still I am up to the challenge!

What are your character’s favorite and least favorite things?
My favourite food is Tempura, which oddly enough came to us via our Merenae allies. How fortunate!

My least favourite thing is probably people being late. They should know better! Forcing me to wait for you is not a good idea.

Does your character have any recurring mannerisms?
Some say I have a tendency to exclaim things when it is unnecessary. Nonsense! I am perfectly in control of my voice. Also some say I tend to have a nervous energy about me. Bah!

What about your character’s emotions?
I am perfectly in charge of my emotions, as any hot-blooded samurai should be. Perhaps I get a little outraged at times, but I channel those feelings into purely helpful methods!

How would your character handle a subordinate’s improper behavior?
I would take them aside and advise them on how what they did was wrong and why. If they keep at it then it'll take stronger measures but that is for if that happens at all.

How would your character’s parents describe him?
My father would see me as chasing the family legacy, which is fair enough I suppose.
My mother would be concerned, as always, if what I am doing is safe or reasonable or so on and so forth.

What is your character’s highest ambition?
My highest ambition is to be recognised as a great hero amongst the Mantis, and hopefully something more than that but one plan at a time! You might think this is hard to accomplish while living far off to the north, away from the empire proper, but you're just thinking too small, too short-termed!

How religious is your character?
The kami are what give us our edge. They are what defines us compared to the foreigners who worship whatever it is they worship. They show that we are the ones who are destined for greatness, and so it is important to give them their due when and where it is important and practical.

How will your character die?
Likely facing down trouble created by his own actions.

Yoritomo Kazewa always felt inspired, for in times of quiet he would lull and find thingfs incredibly tiring. So it was he sought to push forward with all things. Brought into existence into a world clashed due to the advancement of technology and the consequent reservations against such a thing, he felt that his way of life, and his philosophy to be somewhat threatened.

After all, if there was no distinction for being a samurai then his pursuits would be most likely harder and harder to accomplish. Sure he isn't threatened directly by the Golden Road and the redistribution of lands, but to think in purely reactionary terms would be foolish.

Given the choice and seeing the way the wind was blowing, Kazewa said his goodbyes and set off, following the former emerald champion as he travelled north. For Kazewa felt that his new comrades so desperately needed his ideas in order for them to remain... realistic.

After all, they might not regard firearms very heavily... but that doesn't suddenly change how things are. The heavens might disapprove of some things but they can't surely disapprove of everything... can they?

pre:
Yoritomo Kazewa

Clan: Mantis
Family: Yoritomo
School: Yoritomo Bushi
Insight Rank: 1
Insight: 122
Experience: 0/50

Honor: 3.5
Glory: 1
Infamy: 0
Taint: 0

Air: 2
  Reflexes: 3
  Awareness: 2

Earth: 2
  Stamina: 3
  Willpower: 2

Fire: 2
  Agility: 3
  Intelligence: 2

Water: 2
  Strength: 3
  Perception: 2

Void: 2

Initiative: 4k3
Armor TN: 25

Skills
* Commerce		1	Int	3k2
* Defense		1	Ref	4k3
* Jiujutsu		1	Agi	4k3	Improvised Weapons
* Kenjutsu		1	Agi	4k3
* Knives		3	Agi	6k3	Kama
* Sailing		1	Agi/Int	4k3/3k2
* Teppoudo		1	Int	3k2
Athletics		1	Str	4k3
Artisan: Painting	1	???	???
Battle			1	Per	3k2
Etiquette		1	Awa	3k2
Games: Kemari		1	Agi	4k3
Hunting			1	Per	3k2
Iaijutsu		1	Ref	4k3
Investigation		1	Per	3k2
Kyujutsu		1	Ref	4k3
Lore: Bushido		1	Int	3k2
Lore: Heraldry		1	Int	3k2
Medicine		1	Int	3k2
Perform: Flute		1	Agi	4k3

Knives 3 - Off-hand penalties do not apply when using a knife

Advantages
	Sacred Weapon (Storm Kama): You possess a special weapon created by the master 
weaponsmiths of your Clan, and considered to be an icon of all who bear the mon 
of your Clan. Storm Kama (pair): 2k2 kama; +1k0 to attack rolls when wielding
both. (6)
	Strength of the Earth: In your soul can be found the spirit of the mountains and 
the strength of stone. You can overcome injuries that would cripple other men. 
The TN penalties you suffer from Wound Ranks are reduced by 3. (2)

Disadvantages
	Greedy: Material wealth is more important to you than anything else, even 
though samurai are not meant to be sullied with commercial interests. Opponents 
attempting to use Temptation (Bribery) rolls against you gain a bonus of +1k1 
to the total of the roll. (4)
	Cursed by the Realm (Meido): The ennui of the Realm of Waiting fills your soul. 
When unoccupied by physical activity or social interaction, you tend to lapse into
a trance-like state that causes you to suffer a penalty of -1k0 to all Perception-
based rolls. (4)
	Lechery: Physical pleasure is a weakness of yours, and you spend considerable time 
pursuing it. When an opponent makes a Temptation (Seduction) roll against you, he 
gains a bonus of +1k1 to the total of his roll. (2)

Armor
Light Armour (Bonus to Armor TN: +5 Reduction: 3, Special: +5 to TN of all Athletics and Stealth rolls.

Weapons
Katana - Atk 5k3, Dmg 6k2
	(Medium, Samurai, DR: 3k2, Special: May spend one Void Point for +1k1 damage)
Wakizashi - Atk 5k3, 5k2
	(Medium, Samurai, DR: 2k2, Special: Throw up to 20')
Storm Kama (pair) - Atk 8k3, Dmg 5k2
	(Peasant, Small, DR: 2k2, Special: +1k0 to attack when wielding both; Throw up to
	20')
Teppo - Atk 4k2, Dmg 6k3
	(Large, Samurai, Firearm, DR 3k3, Range: 150', Special: At half range or less, the Teppo ignores
	Reduction from natural toughness.
Unarmed - Atk 5k3, Dmg 3k1
	(Small, DR: 0k1)

Techniques
THE WAY OF THE MANTIS
Mantis bushi learn to fight on the pitching decks of ships and to use anything within reach as a weapon. 
You suffer no penalties to movement or attacks for rough or uneven terrain. You do not lose Glory or Honor 
when using improvised weapons, or weapons with the Peasant keyword, in combat. You suffer no penalties for
fighting with a Small or Medium weapon in your off-hand if that weapon has the Peasant keyword. Finally, 
you gain a bonus of +1k0 to all attack rolls.

Inventory
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Traveling Pack, Teppo, 1 koku, 1 bu, 4 zeni (formerly 10 koku)

Traveling Pack: Chopsticks, Musical instrument (flute), Sake cup, Small tent, Straw
cloak, Tatami mat, Week's Rations, Whetstone, Wide-brimmed straw hat.

Purchased items:
 Backpack (3 zeni)
 Kubi Bukuro (2 zeni)
 Medicine Kit (1 bu)
 Umbrella (2 bu)
 Ball, Kemari (5 zeni)
 Flint and Steel (1 zeni)
 Rope (50 feet) (250 zeni)
 Small Folding Stool (3 bu)
 Small Knife (5 zeni)
 Daisho Stand (1 koku)

Wounds
Healthy (+0)	Nicked (+0)	Grazed (+2)	Hurt (+7)
OOOOO OOOOO	OO		OO		OO
			OO		OO		OO
Injured (+12)	Crippled (+17)	Down (+37)	Out (-)
OO		OO		OO		OO
OO		OO		OO		OO

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 7, 2014

TheGrandMystic
Aug 7, 2007
Forgot to ask about what books are allowable for character creation and the like besides core, stuff like Great Clans, Book of ____, etc.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

I'd like to apologize for the last-minute entry. Work has been kicking me around like a redheaded stepchild of late, and this backstory did not want me to ever finish it. So, yeah... Monster. Sorry.

quote:

To understand a man, particularly a Samurai, one needs to understand his family. After all, it is said that no man is unique, but merely a collection of all the hands in his raising. And with that in mind, I find it best to start with my parents.

My mother is Kakita Noriko. She is a mistress of the brush, and she taught me her art. I would like to think she is proud of my ability, but I know my abilities are far behind hers. She is able to bring to page images that seem to almost come to life. It is awe-inspiring. She runs an immaculate household as well, something to be proud of. Something I am proud of.

My father was Kakita Osamu. I must admit, I did not see much of him. He was assigned to an older Doji man who is an esteemed permanent member of Kyuden Doji's court. I confess, I do not know the esteemed Doji-sama's name. What I do know is that a year before my graduation, my father was killed in what was supposed to be a duel to first blood. My father struck first, and his opponent overreached, mortally wounding my father. He committed seppuku on the spot, I'm told. I am very proud of my father, even more so than my mother, because he died successfully defending his charge's honour, something I can only dream of achieving. All I have to remember of him is his Katana, his Bajozutsu, and my own commitment to my Duty.

I have three sisters. The eldest, Doji Akane, is a gardener for Kyuden Doji. She's quite successful, and a moving Ikebana artist. The Lady Doji herself would be proud of Akane-neesan's work. The gardens of Kyuden Doji are always a treat to walk through, and it's partially thanks to my sister.

My second sister, Kakita Wakana, is as yet unmarried. I expect that will change soon, though Okasan has kept things remarkably quiet on the matter. I miss Wakana-neesan's stories. She is a learned scholar of history. She taught me much of our line's history... But more on that later. She also has the Gift, and the Air Kami seem to delight in adding moving pictures to her stories. I do not blame them.

My youngest sister, Bayushi Mio, is only a year older than me and already married. To a Bayushi, the poor dear. I pity her, truly I do. And she has not taken the arrangement well. I remember she used to play the most beautiful biwa melodies... But now, she never plays. She has a hard edge to her eyes, and writes very powerful poetry. Sadly, it is always angry, or else depressingly sad. Mio-neesan scares me. I fear for her soul.

But, I suppose that is all I can reasonably expect to delay in talking about myself, is it not?

My early childhood is of little note. I was taught to read using the many chronicles of my lineage, a male line directly linking father-to-son all the way back to Kakita himself, through his first son, Kakita Shimizu. You can well imagine the stories. Generation after generation of revered artists, duelists, or both. Needless to say, for a young mind it represented a wealth of amazing tales and a legacy of greatness that made me proud of my lineage. And that pride and wonder has remained, though as I grew older I began to realize the weight of expectation placed upon me, the only son of my father. My reverence for my forebears is unquestionable, especially for the father of my fathers, though I continually wonder how I can possibly expect to live up to the reputation they have left behind for me.

Being my father's son, I was quite obviously to become a student at the Kakita Dueling Academy, a discipleship I took very seriously. It was impressed upon me how many Kakita hopefuls are turned away every year, and that even with my lineage there was a chance I may not be accepted. I had to prove myself, and I did.

The acceptance task was simple, but for many near-impossible. We were denied food for two days as we sat outside the Academy waiting for our exam. Eventually, we were brought into a large hall with many long tables. Steaming bowls of rice for each of us. At the head of the room, there sat the Academy's head Sensei. He sat with his own meal, in silence, waiting for us. We all took our seats, and many began eating right away. I considered it myself, but then I noticed something... The Sensei had not touched his chopsticks. It is rude to eat before one's host, so I did not touch mine. Several other students seemed to notice as well. We sat and waited, stomachs growling at the food before us like rabid dogs, for a full hour before the Head Sensei finally began eating. The boys and girls who ate before him were escorted out, and those of us who waited were granted fish and small blue cords that marked us as students of the Kakita Dueling Academy. The Academy taught duelling, it was not there to teach basic manners. And manners were necessary for a Bushi to serve. I have never before or since had such a delicious meal.

We were given a week before we would be brought into the Academy proper, and in that time I was to attend my Akane-neesan’s wedding. She was to marry a Doji several years older than herself as a favour for the family. In truth, it furthered her own ambitions, so the Fortunes quite aligned. It was at the wedding that I met two girls that would cause an enormous influence in my life.

The first was one of the groom's sisters, a Doji Ineko. At the time, our connection was minimal--simply two children celebrating the wedding of respective siblings--It would seem that I myself had made some form of impression on her parents. It would later, in private, be 'requested' that I be assigned to Doji Ineko-sama as her Yojimbo. My family had a strong reputation, and I had great expectations to live up to.

The other was a young woman, a couple of years older than myself. Kakita Shiori. Though many may describe her as plain, I saw the works of beauty she presented at the wedding--small but breathtaking jade carvings--and I knew her true beauty. In this writing I will admit I fell in love with her and her hands that exact moment. We spoke little at that event, but I remember daring to brush the tips of her fingers with my own.

My tutelage in the Academy was from day one immensely gueling. We not only learned the art of Iaijutsu and swordplay, but also the depths of courtly activities and how to function as an effective servant. A Yojimbo serves, it is his place. We learned swordplay, archery, meditation, etiquette, politics, fashion, hairstyling, art appreciation, calligraphy, philosophy, oratory, advanced literacy, firearms… A dizzying amount of subjects both physical and mental. Many students struggled. Some complained. I admit to briefly regretting at points making some of the choices I did. Perhaps I would have been a better artisan…

But one of the students, Kakita Fuwaya, never said a word in protest or expressed his misery. He became a symbol of strength for me. After all, if Fuwaya-san didn’t complain, why should I? We learned much from one another on the School’s techniques and the art of the duel, as we practiced together constantly. He was as skilled as I, and we outmatched all of our classmates. Though we spoke little, if at all, about anything outside of our small enclosed world in the dojo, we had an understanding. And I will admit I considered him my only friend in that small world.

Nothing gold can stay, however. In time, all things tarnish black.

It would start after the second Topaz Championship since we joined the Academy. Something happened… Something strange. A Mirumoto won the Tournament, something in and of itself not miraculous, but the next day when Fuwaya-san returned he was… Different. He spoke much of the Niten style, and asked many questions about our rivals the Mirumoto. At the time, I viewed such questions as legitimate, but for another time and place. Best we perfect ourselves before we explore our opponents. Such a response was not satisfactory, however, and his questioning and protests continued. Then, one day, he was gone. Not a word to me or anyone else. Just… Gone.

I would later learn that my friend had gone to study with the Mirumoto. It was the deepest betrayal I had ever experienced, and to this day--only a few years hence I admit--it remains such. And this is when I began to ask questions of the Niten technique. But I asked not to learn their practices, but to learn to beat them. Fuwaya-san had broken an important bond, and it would not go unanswered. My efforts in my studied redoubled, and I began spending the few free moments in my day studying Niten intensely beside The Sword. Every word, every syllable. Know your enemy. Fuwaya-san was my enemy, and I would crush him.

My Sensei was, understandably, concerned by this fervor, but my intense focus on his teachings and techniques assuaged his fears that he would lose two star pupils of the same year. Rather than turning kimono as that traitor, I became the pinnacle of the Kakita teachings. I had to be, to show the purity of the form, to show our superiority over them. My superiority over him.

Shortly before my Gempukku, I happened upon Shiori-san. Her artwork had yet improved, and she was even more beautiful than before. I will not delve too deeply into the details of what transpired between us over the course of the following few months, but suffice it to say she was what kept me from being completely consumed by my anger. She gave me cause to further my artwork, and a... release for my frustrations.

The time would come when I graduated, and was granted the honour of representing our Academy in the Topaz Championship. I fought like an Oni to qualify for the Iaijutsu Tournament, I knew I had to qualify. I had to beat him. It was a trial of endurane and drive in the purest form, but I made it to the tournament. Barely. That would be the hard part, the tournament itself was largely a formality to me. I tore through the rankings, winning challenge after challenge, heedless to all but my opponent at the time. I knew that even with his inferior form, Fuwaya-san would reach the finals. We would face there.

The finals came, and I did not face him. He had never even entered, and I would not find out until later.

I became Topaz Champion, as expected, but I did not see my once-friend Fuwaya-san. All of my work, every moment of study built up to this moment, and I crushed the wrong opponent. But I did not shame my School or family, and I would have to be content with that. I put Fuwaya out of my head. I had things much larger than myself to concern myself with now that my schooling was over. But if I ever saw him again, I knew it would end in blood.

Doji Ineko-sama and I met again shortly after the Championship. I imagine she must have been quite happy to have the Topaz Champion as a Yojimbo, though she did not openly express so. As my charge and Mistress, she was... demanding. She expected me to be the best I could be, and pushed me to be such. I don't know if I ever thanked her for doing that. I think she is one of the main reasons I became the man I did. Of course, Doji-sama had her own issues to be concerned with. I only saw the later stages of her transformation to the Restorationist she is now, but I did see her struggle with doubt and a loss of confidence, followed by that strange sense of... purpose she seems to have now.

Her choice to move to the Restorationist provinces placed me in a strange position. I, myself, see this new Empire not as a loss of tradition, but rather an evolution thereof. The Empire has taken a strange new form from the one our Ancestors knew, but I do not fear that change. At its heart, Rokugan is much the same, just... with a new kimono. And, of course, my Duty as a Yojimbo is the same as my father's, and his before him, and the other Yojimbo our family has had in the past. We go where our charges go, and we protect their person and their Honour. And so, even if I had to take up a position against my Emperor and my family, even Shiori... I would do what I must to serve. As a parting gift, discreetly wrapped in a bundle of silk, I carried with me a vial of green paint, mixed with just enough jade dust to give it a special lustre. I would think of her every time I use it.

As we traveled to the City of Two Rivers, I looked at my Bajozutsu one last time before secreting it away. Elegant, efficient, beautiful... Flawless. All things I must be. All things I will be.

pre:
Personal:
Name: Kakita Kazuya
Family: Kakita
School: Kakita Bushi
Honor: 6.5
Insight: 130
XP: 0/50

Rings:
Air 3
	Reflexes 3
	Awareness 3

Earth 2
	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2

Fire 2
	Agility 3
	Intelligence 2

Water 2
	Strength 2
	Perception 2

Void 2

Skills: Skills marked with * are School skills.
*Artisan{Painting}: 2 | Awareness 5k3
Calligraphy: 1 | Intelligence 3k2
Defense: 1 | Reflexes 4k3
*Etiquette: 2 | Awareness 5k3
Games{Letters}: 1 | Awareness 4k3
*Iaijutsu: 3 | Awareness 6k3/Void 5k2/Reflexes 6k3
     Emphasis: Focus
     Rank 3: Drawing sword/Bajozutsu is a Free Action
*Kenjutsu: 3 | Agility 6k3
     Rank 3: +1k0 to all damage rolls with a sword
Lore{Bushido}: 2 | Intelligence 4k2
Meditation: 1 | Void 3k2
     Emphasis: Fasting
*Sincerity: 2 | Awareness 5k3
*Teppoudo: 1 |Intelligence 3k2
*Tea Ceremony: 1 | Void 3k2

Techniques:
Rank 1: The Way of the Crane
The study of the sword demonstrates the many ways in which the art of Kakita's technique can be applied. You add twice your Iaijutsu 
Skill to all Initiative rolls. You gain a bonus of +1k1 plus your School Rank to the total of all attack and Focus rolls while 
assuming the Center Stance. This bonus also applies during the Combat Round following one in which you assume the Center Stance.

Advantages:
Sacred Weapon: Kakita Blade
Languages 1: Marenae
Paragon: Duty

Disadvantages: 
Obligation 1: Defeat Kakita Fuwaya, should we ever meet.
True Love: Kakita Shiori
Idealistic
Bad Fortune: Lingering Misfortune

Items:
Sturdy Clothing, Bleach, Chopsticks, Perfume, Small Hand Mirror, Spare Kimono and Sandals, Vials of Paint, Fan, Sume-e Set, 
one copy each of The Sword, Niten, Leadership, and The Tao of Shinsei, one vial of Jade Paint, Light Armour, Daisho, Bajozutsu.

10 Koku

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 14, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Recruitment is closed! Picks will go up shortly.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The group!

Doji Ineko, Doji Courtier - Poison Mushroom
Kakita Kazuya, Kakita Bushi - Lazy Bear
Bayushi Aoshi, Bayushi Bushi - Spoilers Below
Bayushi Kuroda, Bayushi Courtier - TheGrandMystic
Shosuro Satoshi, Shosuro Infiltrator - The Gate
Suzume Shingen, Suzume Bushi - AusteriDad

Noted Idiot Plutonis is forever banned from my PbPs because while he's a bro he's also physically incapable of not getting probated for non-trivial amounts of time, and Attilla didn't make the cut because I didn't really feel that your character worked 100% with the concept of the campaign (it was a really good character though).

For the others:

Doji Ineko: It's considered rather distasteful for a samurai to involve themselves in matters of commerce. How do you justify taking such an active interest?
Kakita Kazuya: A man cannot serve two masters. How far will you go to serve your charge if it should put you up against your family? Your clan? Your empire?
Bayushi Aoshi: All samurai wear masks, the Scorpion merely admit it. But what's under yours?
Bayushi Kuroda: Your ancestors compel you to do what is right, and restore the honour of the Empire. How do you reconcile this with the need to be Seppun Tadaka's Underhand?
Shosuro Satoshi: Like Kuroda, you feel the need to bring back the old traditions and the old ways, but pride yourself on working in the cracks of Rokugani society. How do you reconcile these seemingly contradictory goals?
Suzume Shingen: You are the sole representative of a Minor Clan among the Shinsengumi. How do you intend to make your voice, and that of your clan, heard?

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM

Forums Terrorist posted:

Suzume Shingen: You are the sole representative of a Minor Clan among the Shinsengumi. How do you intend to make your voice, and that of your clan, heard?

Many foolish words could be spoken, trying to convince people of the strength of a Sparrow. No amount of words could convince even the lowliest ronin that we are some powerful force left untapped, something more than we are. Instead, the wiser path to tread is to exemplify discipline, to demonstrate courage, to fully embrace Bushido. Through this, minds may be swayed faster than even the most silvered words. The voice of the clan shall not be heard through courtiers and diplomats, it will be heard in the light brushstroke, in the string of a calmly drawn bow, in unflinching loyalty to the ways of our ancestors. It is a tongue without match.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Forums Terrorist posted:

Doji Ineko: It's considered rather distasteful for a samurai to involve themselves in matters of commerce. How do you justify taking such an active interest?
"The Crab, despite their failings, have a very firm sense of practicality. The Yasuki, in particular, understands that no matter how distasteful we find it, knowing the flow of money is a necessity for a successful Empire." Ineko speaks from behind a fan, masking her drawn lips as she responds to the rather prying question. "Yes, it is the language of the gaijin, the mercenaries, the ronin, even the peasants. But these are pieces on the board we cannot afford to ignore any longer. If we hope to survive, we must learn the tongue, no matter how bitter it may be."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 8, 2014

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

Kakita Kazuya: A man cannot serve two masters. How far will you go to serve your charge if it should put you up against your family? Your clan? Your empire?

Kazuya's visage takes on a slight melancholy. "Truthfully, that is a thought that has stolen many a night's sleep from me. I take little solace in my decision, but Regret is a sin, and a great one at that. Fear, too, is a sin, and it calls me to abandon my charge in Fear of the shame I could bring to myself should I continue down this road. I cannot turn my back on the path I have chosen. A Samurai owns his word. I said I would protect Doji-sama's person and her Honour, no matter where it took me. I love my family, my home, and my Clan. I love the strength of character of my Empire to not only weather, but utilize these changes for its own betterment. But this is not about me. It has not been about me since the day I was born. My existence is based on the furtherance of my Duty, for the sake of my family. If I deny my Duty, I betray my family and my Honour as a Samurai. And I cannot do that."

Thank you very much for accepting me. It means a lot that I earned my place in the game, I've been quite looking forward to it. FT, PM, if I could catch either of you on the IRC sometime in the not-too-distant future, I need to talk to each of you.

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 9, 2014

TheGrandMystic
Aug 7, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Bayushi Kuroda: Your ancestors compel you to do what is right, and restore the honour of the Empire. How do you reconcile this with the need to be Seppun Tadaka's Underhand?

"The soul of the Empire may yet be preserved against an Emperor wholly consumed by Sin that has deceived the land and its people into thinking all is well when every sign from the Celestial Heavens screams out that it is not. If balance is to be restored, however, deception must be matched by deception: but who will acknowledge that?" Kuroda wryly notes from behind his mask. "Tradition holds that it is the Scorpion that will take the great step for the greater good where others will hold back; if tradition is to be upheld and the soul of the land left intact, so too will the Restorationists need their Villain."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lazy Bear posted:

FT, PM, if I could catch either of you on the IRC sometime in the not-too-distant future, I need to talk to each of you.[/i]
I'll go back to hanging around and lurking in #badwrongfun and #boardgoons. I'm just PoisonMushroom there.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

Bayushi Aoshi: All samurai wear masks, the Scorpion merely admit it. But what's under yours?

"The eyes of a scorpion and the beak of a crane. But such a strange visage would cause onlookers discomfort, hence the mask. We must always be courteous towards others, and first bear the interests of the kingdom in mind, even at the expense of our selves. You won't tell anyone, will you? It's not just anyone who can be trusted with something like that. By the by, you haven't happened to have seen where the genealogical records are stored, have you? There are a few things I've been meaning to check when I had a spare moment. Nothing pressing."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Gate, you've until Saturday to check in before I start the game without you.

Meanwhile, here's another question for you all to ponder: your character is in town, and happens upon a gaijin curio shop. What draws their attention, and why?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Best catjail reason. :allears:

I'll have to think about the question, though.

TheGrandMystic
Aug 7, 2007
If available, Kuroda would be most intrigued by a spyglass, magnifying glass, or other lens that changes one's view of objects near or far, drawn by their ability to reveal and uncover the hidden. Outside of its usability, he would also be drawn to the craftsmanship of the glass as well since it is a very strange material what with it being see-through and all. Whether someone else used it to see for themselves or merely saw it sitting on a table somewhere, the items would surely make a fine trinket and conversation piece.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bayushi Aoshi

"What draws my attention? The sheer number of our countrymen who are interested in purchasing items. Time was, a simple life was considered best. Now there are so many things available that one does not know what is important. Work is no longer just to feed the family, hone one's own skill, and strengthen the empire, it is to purchase items of amusement, to bicker over advancements, to struggle over where one will work next, if I understand the gaijin's translation correctly. Who makes these things so quickly? Where do they come from? Who are these 'corporate warriors' that carry coin-purses rather than swords?

"That said, their game of chess seems a quite intriguing variant of shoji. Perhaps not as divine and sublime as go or as beautiful as mahjong, but I'd be interested in learning the rules. It might help me learn how the gaijin think."

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Shingen

If anything it would be a pocket watch. Not only are they excessively ornamented, surely nobody could be in such a need to know the time constantly? Not with the sun and the moon so readily available to all? A strange thought, that someone might be so literally constrained to time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Doji Ineko
While others are drawn to the individual items, Ineko is instead drawn to the shop itself. The customs of how they give and take money, their own strange coins she sees now and again, even their thick, peculiar accents. These gaijin are a people who are fundamentally different, on a deep cultural level. Their obsession with money, with the direct wages for their work, with counting out each individual coin, not even the most brazen and shameless Rokugani merchant shows such an overt lust for gold.

Ineko is pleased. It's much easier to get someone to do what you want when you know what motivates them.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Kakita Kazuya

Kazuya's attention is drawn to a strange, elaborate setup in a far corner. He's informed it is a camera, an item designed to make black-and-white pictures of that which is before it. Though delicate and complicated--Two things the Gaijin seem to have a love for--The idea that one could use a machine to make lasting, accurate images is intriguing, to say the least. One hopes it never completely replaces the expression of the artist's brush, but he easily recognizes its potential to capture the truth, without embellishment or artistic license.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Quick question before we begin: would it be reasonable to swap kyujutsu for teppoudo as a school skill and as my doubted skill? Got a copy of Imperial Histories 2 today, and it noted the the Kikita school regularly produces old west gunslingers who quick draw one another to death, and Aoshi being insecure about his gunplay would be an even better character wrinkle than being unsure about his bowmanship for this game. All the more reason for him to throw everything into his iaijutsu and die like a fool outrun the bullet.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Spoilers Below posted:

Quick question before we begin: would it be reasonable to swap kyujutsu for teppoudo as a school skill and as my doubted skill? Got a copy of Imperial Histories 2 today, and it noted the the Kikita school regularly produces old west gunslingers who quick draw one another to death, and Aoshi being insecure about his gunplay would be an even better character wrinkle than being unsure about his bowmanship for this game. All the more reason for him to throw everything into his iaijutsu and die like a fool outrun the bullet.

Sure, go ahead.

Also, since The Gate ran from the battlefield recruitment thread A SHAMFUR DISPRAY Attilla is replacing him.

Yoritomo Kazewa: Of all the clans, the Mantis stand to gain the most from the continued presence of foreign technology and ideas in the Empire. Why threaten this?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yoritomo Kazewa: Of all the clans, the Mantis stand to gain the most from the continued presence of foreign technology and ideas in the Empire. Why threaten this?

"Bushido is never the path about what is easy. Our ancestors knew this and although I do not believe the popular interpretation of their wishes as espoused by my Restorationist comrades to necessarily be correct, there is a definite pressing need to respect how things should be. The Mantis will come around to this notion with time."

Forums Terrorist posted:

Meanwhile, here's another question for you all to ponder: your character is in town, and happens upon a gaijin curio shop. What draws their attention, and why?

Above all things, Kazewa would be drawn to a detailed model ship, its sails resplendent and the carved wooden and metal frame well-polished. It reminds him of the sea, of home, and how one day he will return there.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

Sure, go ahead.

I am also doing this, by your leave. Because it makes sense.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

THREAD'S UP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664896

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Yaaaaaay! And now the shenanigans begin...

EDIT: PM, your roll should be 6k3. Just so you know. The formula is {Skill+Attribute}k{Attribute}.

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Did this game die already, or did I miss something?

• Locked thread