Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I have no idea why this movie would be compared to Drive except for the soundtrack being synthy. Cause the dude is handsome and violent? There's like a hundred movies with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

weekly font posted:

I have no idea why this movie would be compared to Drive except for the soundtrack being synthy. Cause the dude is handsome and violent? There's like a hundred movies with that.

Synth soundtrack, dude is handsome and violent with a very specific skill set, he ostensibly wants to "protect" a family and is put in a situation where he doesn't really belong. You can argue how similar it is to Drive but you can't deny that Wingard was inspired by it.

VV Again, degree doesn't matter. He was definitely inspired at least in part by Drive, so the comparison is fair.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 26, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's way more inspired by Universal Soldier and the like just with a similar soundtrack to what Wingard used in You're Next.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

e: ^^^ never actually seen that for some reason despite being an 80's teenager, which one is best?

weekly font posted:

The eerie menace from the main character from the main character who is outwardly a nice guy, the 'protecting' a family and yet is a cold calculating violent maniac, its very similar imo. Just not as good :)

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 26, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Seaside Loafer posted:

e: ^^^ never actually seen that for some reason despite being an 80's teenager, which one is best?

All of them.

e: Actually I think the second one might be kinda crappy.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aphra Bane posted:

My main problem was that I couldn't tell if the movie was deliberately being goofy or not

Let me help you out here: It was

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh no..

so at the end when the police is saying they only found two bodies. Where is the third? I mean our boy walks out as a firefighter. That equipment has to have come from somewhere. I found a plothole and now my immersion is ruined :(

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Well not really, they found agent broyles and the drama teacher. They aren't actively looking for the presumed missing firefighter because they don't even know about him missing yet. Essentially a bunch of firefighters and EMT's pour into the gym to find/help people, and by that point David's already lurking. Last firefighter inside gets shoved into a dark closet and David walks out. They'll notice the firefighter is missing that night, and David will already be gone.

Jst0rm posted:

maybe I should ask Simon? You guys give me 3 questions to ask simon and I'll see if he will take a stab at answering them. Not guaranteeing anything but it could be fun. Or not. Whatever.

Oh man that would be the most excellent thing. I'm pretty sure you were replying to me, too, because I mentioned Spencer's boss. I assumed that's what happened, that David framed the boss with the beating, it just struck me as much more brutal, when David gives me a 'John Wick', headshot-only, clean and quick vibe.

The most burning question I have is really concerning what is going on inside of David's head. We can't learn from the film solely whether the entire Caleb 'promise' story is true, but I think someone posted their back story upthread. So the most important question I have is: Does he consider Luke to be his friend?

And if he's comfortable revealing more about David's character, I wonder if David is aware of the extent of his programming, and how he feels about having his hand forced. For example, does David himself know what he signed up for? Does David recognize his programming to kill? My logic is if he already knew he was a psychopath, and escaped after being brainwashed, if he just wants to find civilians to bunk with, his intent on doing the Dexter thing and killing to essentially keep from breaking down mentally. Or if he is a passenger, and when he is cued to kill and kind of watches in third person as he gets to murdrin'.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 27, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Double post

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 26, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

weekly font posted:

It's way more inspired by Universal Soldier and the like just with a similar soundtrack to what Wingard used in You're Next.

I think it reminds of 80s schlock like Maniac Cop combined with, I don't know, ABC Family poured into a noxious mix of good music, nice visuals, and sarcastic brutality. I have a friend marathoning this with Beverly Hills Cop and The Last Boyscout. Interested to hear how that goes, as that kinda fits, weirdly enough.

EDIT:

Affi posted:

Oh no..

so at the end when the police is saying they only found two bodies. Where is the third? I mean our boy walks out as a firefighter. That equipment has to have come from somewhere. I found a plothole and now my immersion is ruined :(

Isn't the firefighter the second body? Did someone else get killed.

And I do have some other questions, but I almost don't want them to be answered. Don't ruin my interpretation Wingard!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Oh no..

Well at that point they found 2 bodies inside. I don't think they were expecting a firefighter to be abducted 3 minutes before they had that conversation ;)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Affi posted:

Oh no..

They haven't found the third body yet. Comedy option: They're sharing the suit.

Shageletic posted:

Isn't the firefighter the second body? Did someone else get killed.

And I do have some other questions, but I almost don't want them to be answered. Don't ruin my interpretation Wingard!

The two bodies are the teacher and Nick Fury.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Let me help you out here: It was

Yeah, like I said, the last 20 minutes or so don't leave much room for doubt. I particularly liked David taking the time to put his mix tape over the speaker system. He wasn't lying when he said he couldn't wait to listen to it :haw:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Aphra Bane posted:

Yeah, like I said, the last 20 minutes or so don't leave much room for doubt. I particularly liked David taking the time to put his mix tape over the speaker system. He wasn't lying when he said he couldn't wait to listen to it :haw:

Between that and the thumbs up, goddamn. I haven't laughed that hard at a non-comedy movie since SPRING BREAKERS SPOILERS the "Everytime" montage

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My god, I watched this tonight and I couldn't stop grinning / laughing / saying "holy poo poo" under my breath / etc. It was a hell of a ride and I already want to watch it again. I need to own that loving score. "David" is easily one of my favorite characters I've seen in any movie in a long time, up there with Nightcrawler's Lou Bloom and John Wick (also from this year). And that ending sequence in the Halloween maze with strobe lights going off and fog machines filling the floors with fog and scary poo poo popping out and that room full of mirrors....that whole thing was just loving brilliant. I want to rewatch the whole movie again already, but that series of scenes especially. I'd just watch it over and over again and revel in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

weekly font posted:

All of them.

e: Actually I think the second one might be kinda crappy.

It's bland as hell for the first two thirds, then the screenwriter goes crazy. Highlights include three hulked out hospital interns wrestling shirtless with Goldberg, the flimsiest excuse ever for an action movie to visit a strip club (internet, they need internet) and the moment when they've completely written themselves into a corner with Goldberg. He's survived half a dozen increasingly elaborate deaths, so they just blow him up off screen it's the best and worst of 90s action movies. Mostly the worst.
Regeneration is loving amazing though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My god, I watched this tonight and I couldn't stop grinning / laughing / saying "holy poo poo" under my breath / etc. It was a hell of a ride and I already want to watch it again. I need to own that loving score. "David" is easily one of my favorite characters I've seen in any movie in a long time, up there with Nightcrawler's Lou Bloom and John Wick (also from this year). And that ending sequence in the Halloween maze with strobe lights going off and fog machines filling the floors with fog and scary poo poo popping out and that room full of mirrors....that whole thing was just loving brilliant. I want to rewatch the whole movie again already, but that series of scenes especially. I'd just watch it over and over again and revel in it.

I especially love not-Nick Fury's slightly exasperated reaction to being stuck in a dry ice filled haunted house disco fighting a superpowered psychopath. He looks like he really hates that his life has become a silly movie.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

You are all racists. He is not, not-Nick Fury. He's motherfucking Agent Broyles. This entire movie takes place in the red-Fringe universe.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Seaside Loafer posted:

The latest two were both directed by John Hyams and are really good, especially the one with Scott Adkins kicking all the rear end in the world.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The moment this movie goes from being badass to transcendantly badass:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's not really an emotion you can ascribe to that facial expression. Smug?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

speshl guy posted:

There's not really an emotion you can ascribe to that facial expression. Smug?
Psycho exasperation. "Now, I'm really pissed off by all the things that happened to me in my life today, beyond even pretending to care for the niceties. This just in, you got in my way, this is what you get. drat it, what a relief to get that off my chest. Now, smile!"

Topically, imagine if Han shot first, "this was a boring conversation anyway", and then proceeded to thermally-detonate the Mos Eisley cantina instead of calling for Chewie.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

The music was epic right then too :)

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
I guess there's not a whole lot to back up this theory but with the plastic surgeon bit, him being really earnest about knowing the son/being there when he died, and the sister and brother doing background research I was sure the movie was going to pull a twist with David being the brother, coming back to get rid of his family and eliminate "loose ends"

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Penpal posted:

Well not really, they found agent broyles and the drama teacher. They aren't actively looking for the presumed missing firefighter because they don't even know about him missing yet. Essentially a bunch of firefighters and EMT's pour into the gym to find/help people, and by that point David's already lurking. Last firefighter inside gets shoved into a dark closet and David walks out. They'll notice the firefighter is missing that night, and David will already be gone.

Oh man that would be the most excellent thing. I'm pretty sure you were replying to me, too, because I mentioned Spencer's boss. I assumed that's what happened, that David framed the boss with the beating, it just struck me as much more brutal, when David gives me a 'John Wick', headshot-only, clean and quick vibe.

The most burning question I have is really concerning what is going on inside of David's head. We can't learn from the film solely whether the entire Caleb 'promise' story is true, but I think someone posted their back story upthread. So the most important question I have is: Does he consider Luke to be his friend?

And if he's comfortable revealing more about David's character, I wonder if David is aware of the extent of his programming, and how he feels about having his hand forced. For example, does David himself know what he signed up for? Does David recognize his programming to kill? My logic is if he already knew he was a psychopath, and escaped after being brainwashed, if he just wants to find civilians to bunk with, his intent on doing the Dexter thing and killing to essentially keep from breaking down mentally. Or if he is a passenger, and when he is cued to kill and kind of watches in third person as he gets to murdrin'.

So I'm going to send him this stuff. Is there anything else you guys want? I will only bother him once about this.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
OK here is Simon's response to the questions posed:

quote:

Hey, Jeff. This is sort of tough to just outright explain, and of course elements of the film are intentionally left up to viewer interpretation. But since I do want all the SA goons who are presumably watching our independent film in a fully legal, high resolution manner to enjoy it, I'll do my best to reply to all this...

Basically, I think that the character played by Dan Stevens was genuinely a good person, and probably did not know the full details of the experiment he signed up for. I think he feels a sincere friendship towards Luke and Anna, but he's also always in mission mode, so his approach to these friendships is a strategic one.

When 'David' is threatened by the arrival of the KPG operatives and his programming to protect both himself but more importantly the experiment kicks in, the film goes out of its way to show that he fights against this programming in certain key ways to help the kids defeat him. For one, he deliberately leaves Lance Reddick's gun by his body for Anna to find, and seems pleased when she does. Ultimately, he gives the kids both of the weapons (the gun and Luke's butterfly knife) that they use against him.

I like the idea that his method of helping Luke and Anna, the only method he still really understands, is to make them both aggressive like himself. I've phrased this in different ways in the film and interviews, but basically his characters now only sees people as weapons or victims, and he doesn't want them to victims.

When he realizes that his instincts could force him to eliminate Luke and Anna (and their parents and friends, who he would have evaluated as less salvageable) to cover his tracks, I think there is an altruistic part of his brain that comes up with a different solution. His method of escaping without killing Luke and Anna is to make them think they've killed him and fake his death yet again, using the same method we're told he used to escape from the experiment in the first place (burning and disfiguring the corpses).

Hence, he stands still while Anna shoots him, lets Luke sneak up behind him, etc. All because his mission, to help them, was a sincere one. Adam, Dan and I always approached the character from a point of sincerity, though he clearly has various agendas always in plan.

I thought this was all quite straightforward but I'm fascinated to hear people's different takes on Dan's character's motivations, the experiment itself, etc. People had similarly divergent interpretations of You're Next (which is way less ambiguous) and certainly the V/H/S mythology, whatever that is now. Part of the fun of telling a genre story is not spelling everything out and letting people fill in the blanks for themselves. That said, we do have answers to all of these questions; I think viewers are savvy enough to know when a film is being ambiguous because the filmmakers were too lazy to come up with a full narrative. But on the other hand, sometimes genre movies insult their viewers by feeling like everything needs to be explained to them. Personally, I prefer a balance there.

Hope this helps.

Simon

So there you go. Thanks for legally watching the guest ;)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man, the author may be dead but at least he's a kickass zombie.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Man, the author may be dead but at least he's a kickass zombie.

hah. Are you talking about contracted?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jst0rm posted:

hah. Are you talking about contracted?
He's talking about the concept of "death of the author" in literary and media analysis, which is fun as intellectual masturbation, but nowhere near as satisfying as an author or director giving a thoughtful, in depth interpretation of where they're at. Cool stuff.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He's talking about the concept of "death of the author" in literary and media analysis, which is fun as intellectual masturbation, but nowhere near as satisfying as an author or director giving a thoughtful, in depth interpretation of where they're at. Cool stuff.

I get it now ;) thanks. I know how to make guns sound good and don't know much about 1967 French literary critics ;)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Simon Barrett's twitter is really really good, that's just a tip for everyone.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
That's super cool, thank you for getting in touch with him!

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not too good at them there vocabulistics, but I will say that thanks to this thread I watched both "You're Next" and "The Guest" and holy poo poo, those are both excellent films. I'm still giggling at that pre-grenade toss face.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just caught this movie, loved it. And holy poo poo, that face and the perfect Boys-2-Men type music playing over it.'

meristem posted:

Psycho exasperation. "Now, I'm really pissed off by all the things that happened to me in my life today, beyond even pretending to care for the niceties. This just in, you got in my way, this is what you get. drat it, what a relief to get that off my chest. Now, smile!"

That captures it perfectly.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2014

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just watched this. I thought it was pretty rough in a few aspects: the girl isn't a very good actress, the cinematography is only good, the parts with the military are kinda silly, and overall it could all be a bit more polished. But on the whole I really liked it. I have all the love in the world for 1.5 hour films that don't outstay their welcome. Awesome music too. I'm just waiting for some trashy film to pick up on this synth trend and butcher it totally. Not yet.

Just a question to those who have watched it: how do you sell this movie without spoiling it? "Captain America gone rogue" reveals the superhero angle. So far I've just been saying "Captain America meets Only God Forgives/Drive", but that's not very helpful or appealing anyway.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I told my friend it was a film about being a young goth girl in Alabama

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable posted:

I'm just waiting for some trashy film to pick up on this synth trend and butcher it totally. Not yet.

This already happened extensively in the 80s after John Carpenter was a thing.

Vegetable posted:

Just a question to those who have watched it: how do you sell this movie without spoiling it?
Downton Abbey meets Rambo

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This already happened extensively in the 80s after John Carpenter was a thing.

Downton Abbey meets Rambo

Hugh Bonneville as Samuel Trautman.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Vegetable posted:

Just watched this. I thought it was pretty rough in a few aspects: the girl isn't a very good actress, the cinematography is only good, the parts with the military are kinda silly, and overall it could all be a bit more polished. But on the whole I really liked it. I have all the love in the world for 1.5 hour films that don't outstay their welcome. Awesome music too. I'm just waiting for some trashy film to pick up on this synth trend and butcher it totally. Not yet.

Just a question to those who have watched it: how do you sell this movie without spoiling it? "Captain America gone rogue" reveals the superhero angle. So far I've just been saying "Captain America meets Only God Forgives/Drive", but that's not very helpful or appealing anyway.

Sell it as uplifting. After a US soldier dies, his family gets a visit from his best friend--who might not be what he seems! Bonus points if you can not-so-subtly imply he's an angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Vegetable posted:

If the people you are selling them to are tumblrites, you can put it as a story about regular people meeting the embodiment of young white male privilege.

Alternatively, this:

Coffee And Pie posted:

After a US soldier dies, his family gets a visit from his best friend.
... with a killer soundtrack and a great script. No need to be nasty.

• Locked thread