Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

Sell it as uplifting. After a US soldier dies, his family gets a visit from his best friend--who might not be what he seems! Bonus points if you can not-so-subtly imply he's an angel.

"Well he's kind of Biblical. Old Testament."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
It's interesting and probably entirely unique to see a kind of genre collision pastiche that combines dull, clean tv-movie melodrama with over-the-top 80s cyberpunk action and while it is mostly played for laughs it can never seem to decide just how subtle it wants to be. It's very dialogue-heavy and, for a good portion of its running time, deliberately mundane. It's like A History of Violence, but it feels more muddled and less well constructed.

It's all right though. It has a nice energy to it and the cast all do great work. Dan Stevens, especially, is pitch perfect. The style, though, feels like it isn't fully realised and more like an experiment to see if they could replicate the things they're lampooning and it doesn't always work. It's fine. Give it a look if you fancy it. You're Next works a lot better. I've seen The Guest compared to Killer Joe, but it really isn't anywhere near as outrageous or savage. Nor would I agree that it's "the reality" of Captain America. I'd say it is more like the mundane side of Universal Soldier.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But they're both blond!!!

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Coffee And Pie posted:

Sell it as uplifting. After a US soldier dies, his family gets a visit from his best friend--who might not be what he seems! Bonus points if you can not-so-subtly imply he's an angel.

This is perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watched this last night and holy poo poo was it incredible. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Just holy poo poo was this a loving fantastic film.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I loved the little nods to You're Next. The animal masks at the Halloween party and the defense contractor Lance Reddick works for is KPG, the same company that the family's father worked for in You're Next.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomahawk posted:

I loved the little nods to You're Next. The animal masks at the Halloween party and the defense contractor Lance Reddick works for is KPG, the same company that the family's father worked for in You're Next.

Adam Wingard's next work appears to be an adaptation of Robert (the Walking Dead) Kirkman's newest comic, the Outcast. Looks like he's just doing the pilot but it's a horror book so I expect it to be pretty solid based on Wingard's resume to date. And it's set to air on Cinemax, home of the excellent Banshee and Strike Back, both shows that pull no punches.

I'm wondering how many references to his other works will make their way into the pilot.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Great entertaining movie. I loved how consistantly they portrayed the guest as a charming good guy with a "code" that he follows that mocks the whole tough guy antihero hollywood bullshit even after he brutally murders several people but hes actually just a brainwashed killer that has no control over his own actions (the opposite of the usual anti hero)

Hes a super soldier that gets super ptsd and murders everthing, hes a victim and the hero in the story according to the camera because he nevers gets portrayed as the "bad guy" for longer than 5 seconds but its real frentic and he keeps switching between hero,victim and bad guy but then the boy actually turns out the be the real main character in the end because hes the only one with an actual character arc and the guest just doesnt matter.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Tomahawk posted:

I watched VHS2 this weekend and KPG is the company that makes the cybernetic eye camera in Wingard's short, too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has anyone listened to the commentary on the BR yet?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm watching this right now but when the title says what if Captain America was a total dick, it isn't kidding. The guy has the look of Evans' Cap and the all American demeanor down pat. Jeez. It's cool.

EDIT: poo poo, that escalated to gently caress.

EDIT 2: Oh gently caress, these guys made You're Next, which was also awesome.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 11, 2015

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It may have just been my lovely hearing, but was there something going on with Stevens' character occasionally being unintelligible to tip us off that something was wrong? It seemed like there were 2-3 instances where he'd just say something undecipherable and characters would give him a short look and pause before dismissing it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It may have just been my lovely hearing, but was there something going on with Stevens' character occasionally being unintelligible to tip us off that something was wrong? It seemed like there were 2-3 instances where he'd just say something undecipherable and characters would give him a short look and pause before dismissing it.

It was usually something really vicious when I could hear it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm kind of wishing I could get a sequel where Sharni Vinson's character from Youre Next faces off with David. Two slasher monsters facing off. Kind of like Freddy vs Jason but with this staff behind it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gatts posted:

I'm kind of wishing I could get a sequel where Sharni Vinson's character from Youre Next faces off with David. Two slasher monsters facing off. Kind of like Freddy vs Jason but with this staff behind it.

This was exactly what I thought towards the end so it's kind of uncanny that someone posted that exact thought on the day I watched the movie.

Great movie. Actor who played the dad seemed pretty awkward but I didn't mind anyone else and Dan Stevens was great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This was exactly what I thought towards the end so it's kind of uncanny that someone posted that exact thought on the day I watched the movie.

Great movie. Actor who played the dad seemed pretty awkward but I didn't mind anyone else and Dan Stevens was great.

Yeah. This was a good movie. The actor who played Dad has been in a lot of films as a sort of nervous jittery supporting character. From SavING Private Ryan, Seven and a ton of stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Jittery uncomfortable dude" is kind of his thing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh my god, I never watched the show "Friends" and was only vaguely aware of the cast, so I swear that for years I thought Leland Orser was David Schwimmer. Every time I've seen him in a movie I've mentally referred to him as "that guy from Friends".

They don't even look that much alike.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King Vidiot posted:

Oh my god, I never watched the show "Friends" and was only vaguely aware of the cast, so I swear that for years I thought Leland Orser was David Schwimmer. Every time I've seen him in a movie I've mentally referred to him as "that guy from Friends".

They don't even look that much alike.

Also Leland is like half a foot shorter.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I wish I could say I never watched that show

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm in love with the new Dan Stevens. I also want to watch this movie again as soon as possible. That's pretty rare for me.

Also, count the bar scene with 'The Magician' (?) playing over as what grabbed me and made me realise this movie is something special. Where can I find more music like the soundtrack?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gatts posted:

The bit where the mercs storm the house and David murders them pretty much instantly reminded me of Erin dealing with her home invaders. She did not have an assault rifle so it took her a little more effort but she outclassed her enemies by a similar degree.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mind not spoiling You're Next in here? There's no warning at all.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Octy posted:

I'm in love with the new Dan Stevens. I also want to watch this movie again as soon as possible. That's pretty rare for me.

Also, count the bar scene with 'The Magician' (?) playing over as what grabbed me and made me realise this movie is something special. Where can I find more music like the soundtrack?

buy the hotline miami soundtrack on steam (or play the game)

or search for perturbator on youtube and listen to all the albums its my favorite retrowave(call it waht you want) act

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Mind not spoiling You're Next in here? There's no warning at all.

What do you want to know? Wikipedia sums it up pretty well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sounds like Shag's asking people not to spoil that movie in the thread for this movie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
What's in a word?

drat, it looks like the contest to win the BluRay/Shot Glasses/Dan Stevens' watch from the movie ended today.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Octy posted:

There is a shitton on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/LuigiDonatello

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Popelmon posted:

There is a shitton on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/LuigiDonatello

Aw man, cheeesy 80s music videos. My second favourite thing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
This was pretty disappointing. It's obnoxiously 'ironic'. As other people have said the first two thirds of the movie are really interesting, and actually seem like they are building towards saying something on grief and idolization (with super slick visuals and a nice soundtrack). Then SURPRISE! He's a super soldier and everyone's dead! Ain't you startled?! John Carpenter never explained where the thing came from so I can get away with it too! I hate this loving terrible grindhouse mentality of 'homage' that basically absolves talented people from making actual meaningful things, or certain talented people believe absolves them. The loving halloween haunted house finale, jesus christ. But I can get away with recycling cliched jump scares because Daniels from the Wire is grumpy with it so its meta and I also referenced it back in act two of the script!!!

The guy can frame a shot. The guy can direct action really well. Why could he not earnestly follow through on the initial conceit he set up so well? Drive has been mentioned before itt, but it's like Drive if Refn decided he didn't want to say anything at all on concepts of heroism and masculinity and made the last twenty minutes a car chase where the Driver pulls a fully sick drift at the end and runs over Ron Perlman, because of Tango and Cash.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
On the other hand I think The Guest is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills families and doesn't afraid of anything.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it's like Drive if Refn decided he didn't want to say anything at all on concepts of heroism and masculinity and made the last twenty minutes a car chase where the Driver pulls a fully sick drift at the end and runs over Ron Perlman, because of Tango and Cash.

I agree. The Guest owns.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the point about super soldier subplot coming out of nowhere is well-taken though. Up to that point you could plausibly see him being anything from a pleasant but misunderstood house guest to a serial killer. It's pretty generic, and I was just like "huh" when he turned out to be a superhuman person.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I think the point about super soldier subplot coming out of nowhere is well-taken though. Up to that point you could plausibly see him being anything from a pleasant but misunderstood house guest to a serial killer. It's pretty generic, and I was just like "huh" when he turned out to be a superhuman person.

How is that generic? It's a ridiculous, fun plot twist in a ridiculous, fun movie? That it doesn't stop dead for a long treatise on the subject of heroism and masculinity by way of a slow zoom into Ryan Gosling's face is a feature, not a bug.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I liked both, is that allowed? :(

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

How is that generic? It's a ridiculous, fun plot twist in a ridiculous, fun movie? That it doesn't stop dead for a long treatise on the subject of heroism and masculinity by way of a slow zoom into Ryan Gosling's face is a feature, not a bug.
I guess it's kind of a plot twist. They set you up for something ominous but it turns out to be mostly ridiculous. I wish they had littered the way with hints of his superhumanness because that'd make the reveal more cool.

That's not to say I dislike this movie at all. It's absolutely my #1 of 2014. It's fun as heck. I just wonder if there's a better way they could have set the superhuman thing up.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

flashy_mcflash posted:

The first two-thirds of the movie aren't wacky jason voorhes hijinks though. It's a complete tonal shift without either apparent point or exposition. The very fact that the last second of this movie is "What the gently caress?" is a blatant "HAHA YOU THOUGHT I WAS SERIOUS" millenial cowardice. He just kills everyone because 'it's his programming'.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The dude maliciously murders more than one person in the first half an hour, how is it a tonal shift? They also constantly hint that he's dangerous/unstable.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
There's a brooding menace to it all, then he's throwing grenades into a diner with a big goofy grin and the two kids are getting trapped in a spooky maze. The last third is meta as hell, the first two thirds hint at something original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Penpal posted:

You are all racists. He is not, not-Nick Fury. He's motherfucking Agent Broyles. This entire movie takes place in the red-Fringe universe.

Umm, I think you're actually thinking of Lieutenant Daniels.

Just watched this movie, really enjoyed it as well - especially the amazing soundtrack.

• Locked thread