Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I'd say he didn't understand why he had the nightmares. He assumed they were a curse from the Gods, and thus doing this task for the Gods and earning their absolution of his crimes would remove them. Trying to die again was presumably just sheer desperation. Maybe he figured that they were part of his punishment in Hades' realm and he'd be free of them in Elysium? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Suicidal people rarely think things through.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Kratos just needs to see a psychiatrist, get a therapist and take a break from killing for a bit, really.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CmdrKing posted:

I'd say he didn't understand why he had the nightmares. He assumed they were a curse from the Gods, and thus doing this task for the Gods and earning their absolution of his crimes would remove them. Trying to die again was presumably just sheer desperation. Maybe he figured that they were part of his punishment in Hades' realm and he'd be free of them in Elysium? I dunno.

I think this gets at a really key point. Kratos' epic flaw is that he cannot ever understand that he is responsible for the poo poo he does. At every point, it's 'someone else's' fault. He made the rash pledge to Ares, he was perfectly happy to revel in his power and slaughter until it killed his family, his own guilt is why he's got the nightmares, but at no point in the story does he ever accept any of this responsibility. It's all Ares' fault, it's all the Gods' fault, it's all a Curse, etc. It's why he's kind of halfway interesting in this game, at least.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:ssj: I wanted to make you a great warrior!
:kratos: You succeeded.

And then the target demographic went :hawaaaafap:.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
There would have been Lethe somewhere for a pint, I suppose. But of course things like that take backseat to furious vengeance.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gensuki posted:

And yet, Kratos sees death, and by extension suicide as a relief from his nightmares, Despite the fact that he literally died in the game's plot and then crawled out of hades. Like... does that death not count? If he just wants the nightmares to stop, couldn't he have just stayed dead? Or did he think he could have his cake and eat it too if he broke out?

I mean, it's shown that when he died he was still conscious, so wouldn't he then have nightmares in hades?

There's a few recurring themes in the series, one of them being that once Kratos sets his mind to murdering something, nothing - and I mean nothing - will stop him. Even death barely gives him time to pause, as seen here. The term 'blinding rage' may as well have a picture of Kratos under it, as he gets ridiculously single-minded when something pisses him off enough. If he'd managed to kill Ares before he died, he probably would've just let himself stay in Hades, since his anger also gives him purpose. Without that, he literally is nothing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gensuki posted:

And yet, Kratos sees death, and by extension suicide as a relief from his nightmares, Despite the fact that he literally died in the game's plot and then crawled out of hades. Like... does that death not count? If he just wants the nightmares to stop, couldn't he have just stayed dead? Or did he think he could have his cake and eat it too if he broke out?

I mean, it's shown that when he died he was still conscious, so wouldn't he then have nightmares in hades?

I think it's like this:
Kratos is a shitlord, and he's going to be punished, horribly in the afterlife because of all his offenses
Kratos is currently experiencing unceasing nightmares over killing his family
He strikes a bargain with the gods that if he "saves" Athens, and kills Ares, they will forgive him
When he dies the first time, he hasn't fulfilled his end of the bargain, so he's still doomed to a lovely afterlife
The gods give him an escape out of Hades so he can try again to stop Ares because gently caress that guy
Kratos kills Ares, and "saves" Athens, so the gods will give him the good afterlife -Wine, women, song and slaughter
But the gods didn't say anything about taking away his nightmares. (You're dealing with gods, you should know this poo poo by now)
Kratos figures that at least by dying, for realsies this time, he can get to Valhalla and maybe the nightmares will stop
The gods, capricious as they tend to be, instead appoint him as the new God of War. gently caress your heaven
Nightmare status - still happening. But now he has a cool chair.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Oh man, guys, I have a poo poo TON of bonus stuff to get through now.

First up is Challenge of the Gods, a series of 10 special things you need to do to unlock the game's alternate costumes.

Challenge of the Gods ... Youtube ... Polsy

Next up I show off the alternate costumes. They all do stuff and DON'T invalidate a speed run for the trophy! Everyone thank Bobbin Threadbare for the commentary in this one.

Costume Quest of War ... Youtube ... Polsy

Almost lastly, these 11 videos are unlocked by completing the game on various difficulties. Two of them are only available by beating the game on the hardest difficulty setting!

Bonus 1 - The Making of God of War ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 2 - Trailer 1 ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 3 - Trailer 2 ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 4 - Deleted Levels ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 5 - Heroic Possibilities ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 6 - Visions of Ancient Greece ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 7 - Monsters of Myth ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 8 - The Birth of the Beast ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 9 - Character Graveyard ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 10 - A Secret Revealed ... Youtube ... Polsy
Bonus 11 - The Fate of the Titan ... Youtube ... Polsy

And FINALLY, you can call these two numbers for a little "hey congrats for finding the Easter egg" thing. One is gotten by beating the game on the hardest difficulty, the other is for destroying the statues in the throne room. They are still active as of the time I'm writing this.

1-888-447-5594
1-800-613-8840

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh that challenge of the Gods is BULLSHIT.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

kalonZombie posted:

Next up I show off the alternate costumes. They all do stuff and DON'T invalidate a speed run for the trophy! Everyone thank Bobbin Threadbare for the commentary in this one.

Costume Quest of War ... Youtube ... Polsy

:barf:

(Nothing to do with Bobbin's quality of narration.)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I know the Greek Gods being assholes is an established fact, but Athena says "Your sins have been forgiven," then turns around and immediately says, "We cannot forget what horrible things you've done." That's not forgiving. The least the Gods could do is completely wipe his memory. Kratos gets what he wanted, and the Gods still get to be huge assholes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Desfore posted:

I know the Greek Gods being assholes is an established fact, but Athena says "Your sins have been forgiven," then turns around and immediately says, "We cannot forget what horrible things you've done." That's not forgiving. The least the Gods could do is completely wipe his memory. Kratos gets what he wanted, and the Gods still get to be huge assholes.

"Forgive and forget" is a phrase because those are two separate actions.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What makes it so stupid for me is the simple fact that death isn't final in this mythology, and Kratos knows it. Just march up to Hades as the God of War and spring your family out of the elysian fields. No reason to forget if you can fix the mistake, right.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

kalonZombie posted:

And FINALLY, you can call these two numbers for a little "hey congrats for finding the Easter egg" thing. One is gotten by beating the game on the hardest difficulty, the other is for destroying the statues in the throne room. They are still active as of the time I'm writing this.

1-888-447-5594
1-800-613-8840

Or you could just watch them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVYlzraYyw&t=36s

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
Really what this all boils down to is: gently caress you David Jaffe

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I don't think Kratos' wife and kid were qualified for Elysian fields by any criteria, so they're somewhere within the masses of "normal" people. What are the odds Hades gave exactly those two to Kratos among his army as some sort of consolation for gods being dicks?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I... don't think forgiveness as a place in Greek mythology. Pre-christian religions weren't too big on atonement, they preferred exemplary punishments so you don't step out of the line in the first place.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

anilEhilated posted:

I... don't think forgiveness as a place in Greek mythology. Pre-christian religions weren't too big on atonement, they preferred exemplary punishments so you don't step out of the line in the first place.

Restitution was sometimes a thing, IIRC, but no one ever said you had to be sorry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For some reason Kratos's permascowl makes all the costumes hilarious.

• Locked thread