Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

There will never be a good enough explanation.

I love how over-reactionary most goons are about nudity and gore and such things. :allears: This thread is my first significant exposure to any God of War footage, but I get the feeling that whatever the next video has to show us, it can't be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Well, to be honest if I had children I wouldn't willingly show any footage from those games until I was absolutely certain they're ready for it, because they're not really family-friendly games.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Yapping Eevee posted:

I love how over-reactionary most goons are about nudity and gore and such things. :allears: This thread is my first significant exposure to any God of War footage, but I get the feeling that whatever the next video has to show us, it can't be that bad.

It's not so much that it's horrible, it's that it'll be really really awkward to explain to someone why you're watching it. It's fairly creepy.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

malkav11 posted:

Yeeeeah, I'm glad I never bothered getting any more of them, then.

For whatever reason, the ps3 controller seems harder to pull of QTEs in the remastered version. I got my rear end handed to me by the Minotaurs in GOW1 last night, couldn't press circle fast enough. The rest are fine though, 2 gives me no trouble.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
the QTEs in 2 are better, and by 3 they figured out the best way to aid the players reaction time is to move the icons to the edges of the screen relative to their position on the controller. so Triangle will be at the top, X at the bottom. and that entire side of the screen flashes so you can see it even in your peripheral vision.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The only QTEs that bothered me we're the ones where you had to turn the analogue stick a certain way, I would consistently fail those at least once every time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Davinci posted:

The only QTEs that bothered me we're the ones where you had to turn the analogue stick a certain way, I would consistently fail those at least once every time.

If I recall correctly, my success rate on those improved once I realized I needed to start the analog stick "past" the start point. For example, if the prompt was to do a clockwise half-circle starting at the top, then I'd start with the stick at a 10 o'clock position (i.e. pointing up and left). Dunno what was going on with the game's "gesture recognition", but this helped immensely.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Today's update brought to you by a needless sex minigame and violence.

Episode 2: Medusa ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Also, as an added bonus, me and Skippy Granola riff on stuff! You probably haven't already seen our first riff on an old Blockbuster training video, but if you have, don't worry, this isn't just a shameless plug of a week old video. We also have a whole new riff of another old Blockbuster training video!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

rocket_man38 posted:

For whatever reason, the ps3 controller seems harder to pull of QTEs in the remastered version. I got my rear end handed to me by the Minotaurs in GOW1 last night, couldn't press circle fast enough. The rest are fine though, 2 gives me no trouble.

This was the original PS2 release in my case.

And the sequence reaction QTEs aren't that bad (they still suck, but they're doable). It's the "mash a button as fast as possible" ones that I straight up can't do, at least in God of War. (And Shadow Hearts.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My method for rope fighting was to use the quick jab, and when I got surrounded I'd just alternate jabs back and forth. It seemed to work pretty well (though I never tried the highest difficulty) since the enemies' recovery time from getting jabbed is longer than it takes to perform 2 jabs. Looks loving ridiculous though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who is David Jaffe? I can gather why he's creepy as poo poo if he's fond of that scene, but who is he?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Who is David Jaffe? I can gather why he's creepy as poo poo if he's fond of that scene, but who is he?

He's the guy who basically created God of War. He's a creepy motherfucker.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Ape, you didn't quite mention the full context of Medusa having sex in Athena's temple. See, Athena was born without intercourse and has never been touched by a man, and as such her priesthood was virginal. So for her high priestess to have sex in her temple? That's tremendously disrespectful.

She was one of three virgin goddesses, to be exact. I forget who the other two are at this exact moment, though.

EDIT: Hestia and Artemis. Those were the other two.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 3, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ape, you didn't quite mention the full context of Medusa having sex in Athena's temple. See, Athena was born without intercourse and has never been touched by a man, and as such her priesthood was virginal. So for her high priestess to have sex in her temple? That's tremendously disrespectful.

Of course, considering that Medusa was raped and then punished for being raped in at least one version of the story, Athena is still going way over the line (potentially). But then blaming the victim has been a problem in gender politics for millennia, so as sad as it is, it's not unexpected.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The correct way to do this first rope part in the hardest difficulty is to climb out until the enemies appear, then drop to the street and climb back up the ladder. The enemies can't let go of the rope, so they'll all gather at the near end, and you can kill them from there. This obviously doesn't work for ropes that don't have solid ground below them, but by then, you'll have some health and weapon upgrades.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Gorgons' serpentine design in the games is likely thanks to mythological bleed over with other snake creatures such as the Nāga of Buddhist and Hindu mythology whose depictions range from giant snakes, sometimes with multiple heads, to snake-like centaurish creatures.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 3, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Kratos: Classiest man of the classiest land.

Of course, considering that Medusa was raped and then punished for being raped in at least one version of the story, Athena is still going way over the line (potentially). But then blaming the victim has been a problem in gender politics for millennia, so as sad as it is, it's not unexpected.

I think I read somewhere it's sort of an illustration of the difference in attitudes towards women between the Greeks and the Romans. In the Greek version, Medusa was so traumatized by her rape that even the mere thought of being touched by a man was repugnant to her; Athena took pity on her poor abused priestess and turned her into a Gorgon as a boon so that she would have the power to make sure it never happened again. In the Roman version, no one really gives a poo poo how Medusa feels about the whole thing, the important part is that she has a vagina and a penis went into it, so she's naughty and deserves to be punished; and since obviously the only thing women want or are good for is being pretty for men and having sex with them, turning her into something so ugly that it just straight up kills anyone who looks directly at it means that she's failing at both things and is clearly the worst possible punishment for a woman.

The Greek version isn't hugely popular these days, since by and large Western society agrees with the Romans re: the place of women.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 3, 2014

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Chimera-gui posted:

The Gorgons' serpentine design in the games is likely thanks to mythological bleed over with other snake creatures such as the Nāga of Buddhist and Hindu mythology whose depictions range from giant snakes, sometimes with multiple heads, to snake-like centaurish creatures.

So the things I've learned so far is 'Naga' is actually a thing and not something made up and I was wrong in thinking Medusa always used a bow. :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Regarding the Pesto-foot, all I could think of was the scene in Space Balls where Lonestar dropped the statue on Barf's foot.

Dr. Buttass posted:

The Greek version isn't hugely popular these days, since by and large Western society agrees with the Romans re: the place of women.

That is both equal parts interesting and really loving depressing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Does anyone have anymore terrible quotes attributed to David Jaffe? I could do with a bit of early morning disgust

Edit: Oh yeah; Minotaur - it literally translate to as 'Bull from Minos', doesn't it? 'Cause that's where the whole labyrinth was located and where what's-his-face went to with the ball of yarn, yes?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 3, 2014

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Virginal goddesses could sometimes be quite angry and vindictive when sex was concerned. Apart from Medusa and Athena (depending on the story), there is also the story of Actaeon and Artemis/Diana.

Actaeon, a really good hunter, invited his friends on a hunt one day. At the end of the day, after a succesful hunt, he decided to leave his companions and just walk in the forests/mountains for a while.
He stumbled upon a sacred grove, where Artemis/Diana was bathing together with some servants. Depending on the version of the story, either he wanted to marry the goddess, or, just saw her and her servants naked. In any case, this caused the goddess's face to turn as purple with anger as the red blushing faces of her companions. In Ovid, she is positively seething with anger as she says that he'll now probably wants to boast to his friends, adding "if you are able to boast at all".

He is slowly turned into a stag and flees, only realising what has happened to him by the time he sees his reflection in a pool. By then it is too late: the hunter becomes the hunted. His (or the goddess's) hounds find him, chase him and tear him apart.

And while I don't know any stories about Hestia/Vesta being angry because of sex, the Romans did punish people who disrespected Vestal Virgins, as well as a Vestal Virgin and the man she may have had sex with very severely (the Vestal Virgin was interred alive).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWJPBqEkXU

I think this may have been the grammar point you were trying to remember. Not sure if it's latin or greek that makes the distinction though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There sure as hell is a lot of gorgon eyes around for there being only three of gals. them being a normal enemy you dismember on regular basis; they really should've named the powerup something else.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is one of those LPs I love so much for the video game and the people talking over it that I want it to update all the time. Either way thank you.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

There sure as hell is a lot of gorgon eyes around for there being only three of gals.

As I said in the video, it depends on who is telling the story how many gorgons there are. Some people only say that there's three, Medusa and her sisters, Euryale and Stheno. Others say that those three are their leaders and there's an entire tribe of gorgons. In both cases, though, Medusa is their queen yet mortal, while Euryale and Stheno are immortal. Perseus had to be careful during his quest to get Medusa's head because if he ran into his sisters, he was hosed because there was no way to get rid of them.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Samovar posted:

Edit: Oh yeah; Minotaur - it literally translate to as 'Bull from Minos', doesn't it? 'Cause that's where the whole labyrinth was located and where what's-his-face went to with the ball of yarn, yes?

It does mean "the bull of Minos", but you're off on the rest of the details. Minos was the king of Crete when the story happens, and to a certain degree it's his fault.

See, he was competing with his brothers for the right to rule Crete and actually be king proper, so he asked Poseidon to lend a hand. Poseidon says, "Okay, sure. Here's a white bull, I want you to sacrifice it in my name." This should have been fairly simple instructions to follow, but Minos said, "That is the best loving bull I have ever seen in my life. I'm going to keep this bull. I'll just sacrifice one of my own. Bulls are bulls and Poseidon won't know the difference, right?" This is what we in the business call Hubris.

Now before I go on, you're going to notice that Hubris is something of a theme in Greek mythology. The Greeks have very definite ideas about Hubris and none of them are all that forgiving. To a certain degree our own modern definition of hubris applies but mostly to the Greeks Hubris more or less means not obeying the will of the gods. This does not necessarily refer to a conscious decision to defy said will; sometimes, not being prescient is enough for the gods to call Hubris. What Minos did was Hubris, because he thought he knew better than the gods, but, on the other hand, if a giant eagle had come along and eaten the bull before Minos could get to it, this would still be Hubris and Minos would still deserve to be punished, because reasons. Okay, back to the story.

Poseidon is obviously not happy about this decision but, for some reason, letting Minos actually lose the conflict with his brothers doesn't seem like the right punishment (you can tell by the way Minos is king in the rest of the story). Instead, he calls up Aphrodite, who makes Minos' wife Pasiphae fall in love with the bull. Do not ask me how, but somehow she managed to convince Daedalus to make her a wooden cow to hide inside. The bull, being a bull and therefore not that bright, decided that a real cow was totally right in front of him and he should gently caress it right now, even though it didn't seem to be moving or breathing or even smell much like a cow. So it goes to town, blissfully unaware of the fact that this weird cow's pussy is way tighter than it should be.

Nine months later Pasiphae gives birth to a grody little thing with a bull head. Poseidon laughs in Minos' face and says, "That's what you get punk!" Minos thinks the little bugger is just so loving ugly and he can't stand it, so he goes to Daedalus too, and Daedalus, again roped into the royal family's stupid bullshit, builds a labyrinth to hold the Bull of Minos.

The bit with Theseus and the thread comes later, so I'll wait and see if it comes up in the game before I butcher that story.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Now before I go on, you're going to notice that Hubris is something of a theme in Greek mythology. The Greeks have very definite ideas about Hubris and none of them are all that forgiving. To a certain degree our own modern definition of hubris applies but mostly to the Greeks Hubris more or less means not obeying the will of the gods. This does not necessarily refer to a conscious decision to defy said will; sometimes, not being prescient is enough for the gods to call Hubris. What Minos did was Hubris, because he thought he knew better than the gods, but, on the other hand, if a giant eagle had come along and eaten the bull before Minos could get to it, this would still be Hubris and Minos would still deserve to be punished, because reasons. Okay, back to the story.

Actually, if a giant eagle managed to eat the bull, then it'd be because one of the other gods didn't want Poseidon to have his sacrifice. Of course, the mortal is still hosed for being at the center of a divine feud, but at least it's not his fault this time.

Fun fact: do you know what the twins Apollo and Artemis do with their bows? They murder people! See, back in the day all natural deaths were attributed directly to the gods, and in the twins' case, they fire the arrows that cause sudden death, like from a stroke or a heart attack.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Yah, there's gonna be a fair amount of stuff that we don't cover during these, either due to time or how many variations on the myth there are. There are so many versions of the Medusa myth that it'd take the better part of an hour to go over all of them, so I picked the one that seemed the closest fit to the game. Really, these should be more of a springboard to go out and learn more about the myths they address than anything.

Herr Tog posted:

This is one of those LPs I love so much for the video game and the people talking over it that I want it to update all the time. Either way thank you.

Hey, thanks.

McKilligan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWJPBqEkXU

I think this may have been the grammar point you were trying to remember. Not sure if it's latin or greek that makes the distinction though.

Pretty much exactly. The distinction was between fighting with someone, and fighting with someone as a weapon. And heave called it when he said I'd remember it 30 seconds after we stopped recording, so points to you, Heave.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

And heave called it when he said I'd remember it 30 seconds after we stopped recording, so points to you, Heave.

For those of you playing along at home the scores are now:

Me: 10
Kalon:0
Ape:-10

On a serious note all this mythology talk is super rad, keep it up thread.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It makes me laugh that you note how she was supposed to be cursed with extreme ugliness, when almost every image used in that segment cast her as ridiculously beautiful. Is the ugliness a recurring thing, or is it, again, dependant on the version of the myth?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Interjections:
1) It's not specifically Greek vs. Roman in the tale of Medusa, and the Greeks in general were a hell of a lot nastier to their women than the Romans so misogyny is hardly likely to be the explanation, but it is true that the less sympathetic story starts to win out over time. Greeks, particularly in the Classical peiod, are into the whole "women have their own quarters and don't leave them unless necessary" thing, and full covering + veils, and all sorts of stuff that the Romans didn't care about.

2) Apollo's arrows are specifically plague, or at least 90% of the time. Likewise, Artemis' arrows are death in childbirth. She gets to be god of that despite her virginity.

3) Hubris: hubris gets a lot of misunderstandings about it, so I might as well go over as many as I can think of, all at once.

a) Hubris (as has correctly been said) is not restricted to the modern English definition of hubris. Pride can often be an aspect of it: if the verb 'hubrizo' doesn't have an object, we would usually translate that as 'I act arrogantly' or something of the sort; however, the verb also can be transitive, and we don't usually translate that as 'I act arrogantly towards someone'. Instead, the most conventional way to put it is 'I commit an outrage against someone'. It's much more general bad behaviour than we think of.

b) Hubris is not considered a vital aspect of drama and plays. I just checked: Aristotle never mentions it in the Poetics. It certainly doesn't have to be the sole kind of hamartia that exists, the failure that brings down the protagonist. On that note, hamartia need not be an endemic flaw - that's mostly a postimposition from Christianity, which adopts it as a particular term corresponding in English to something like 'sin'. The usual Greek just is a 'mistake' or 'error', which might be part of one's character or might be a single slip-up.

c) When Aristotle does talk about it, it's in his Rhetoric (2.5) - he handily provides an outright definition:
ἔστι γὰρ ὕβρις τὸ πράττειν καὶ λέγειν ἐφ᾽ οἷς αἰσχύνη ἔστι τῷ πάσχοντι, μὴ ἵνα τι γίγνηται αὑτῷ ἄλλο ἢ ὅ τι ἐγένετο, ἀλλ᾽ ὅπως ἡσθῇ: οἱ γὰρ ἀντιποιοῦντες οὐχ ὑβρίζουσιν ἀλλὰ τιμωροῦνται.

If you are a peasant who doesn't speak Greek, my rough translation would be:
So hubris is causing shame to people by action or by speech, purely for the pleasure one gets by doing it and not for any gain other than that: so someone who retaliates is not committing hubris, but instead exacting justice.

d) As you see, the gods don't have to come into it. In a mythical setting, they probably would, because bad behaviour does tend to annoy one god or another, but it was an entirely secular thing when it had to be. For example, let's translate a particular law which was on Athens' books:

Νόμος
ἄν τις Ἀθηναίων ἐλεύθερον παῖδα ὑβρίσῃ, γραφέσθω ὁ κύριος τοῦ παιδὸς πρὸς τοὺς θεσμοθέτας, τίμημα ἐπιγραψάμενος. οὗ δ᾽ ἂν τὸ δικαστήριον καταψηφίσηται, παραδοθεὶς τοῖς ἕνδεκα τεθνάτω αὐθημερόν. ἐὰν δὲ εἰς ἀργύριον καταψηφισθῇ, ἀποτεισάτω ἐν ἕνδεκα ἡμέραις μετὰ τὴν δίκην, ἐὰν μὴ παραχρῆμα δύνηται ἀποτίνειν: ἕως δὲ τοῦ ἀποτεῖσαι εἱρχθήτω. ἔνοχοι δὲ ἔστασαν ταῖσδε ταῖς αἰτίαις καὶ οἱ εἰς τὰ οἰκετικὰ σώματα ἐξαμαρτάνοντες.

Law
If any of the Athenians were to commit hubris against a freeborn child, let the guardian of the child prosecute them before the magistrates and sue for a particular sentence. If the court condemns him, let him be taken to the Eleven [prison wardens] and put to death that same day. If he is condemned for money, let him pay it in eleven days after the trial, and if he cannot then immediately produce it, let him be imprisoned until he can make repayment. The same penalties apply also against those who do wrong to the bodies of servants and slaves.
(Aeschines' Against Timarchus 1.15)

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 4, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It makes me laugh that you note how she was supposed to be cursed with extreme ugliness, when almost every image used in that segment cast her as ridiculously beautiful. Is the ugliness a recurring thing, or is it, again, dependant on the version of the myth?

I think people just forgot that part of the myth and, over time, just attributed "extreme ugliness" to "having a kinda scaly face".

Dr. Buttass posted:

The bit with Theseus and the thread comes later, so I'll wait and see if it comes up in the game before I butcher that story.

He doesn't pop up until 2, like a lot of the other greek heroes, so go ahead.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 4, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

kalonZombie posted:

I think people just forgot that part of the myth and, over time, just attributed "extreme ugliness" to "having a kinda scaly face".

The only one I can think of in recent memory that actually somewhat gave medusa a proper look would be dota 2

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

kalonZombie posted:

There actually were quite detailed descriptions of the Gorgons at one point, which got truncated to "really fuckin' ugly," and then good old-fashioned sexism gave us the innovation of the Sexy Gorgon. I forget most of the details but I believe the list included wings of some description, brass claws, sizeable fangs which may also have been brass, a swollen tongue the size of a melon, and the infamous hair (which, as mentioned, may or may not have been exclusive to Medusa).

quote:

Right on.

So, the thing about King Minos is that, quite apart from pissing off Poseidon, he was just sort of a dick in general and the whole Minotaur thing didn't really teach him his lesson (are you surprised? I'm not surprised). There are a couple of different versions about the how and the why, but the short version is, Minos' son Androgeus got dead, and since in every version Athens is at least involved, as far as Minos cares it's Athens' fault. Now, when a beloved prince of the realm is murdered and/or sent to an untimely death, the one thing a good, reasonable, responsible king would not do is immediately go to war. Minos was not a good king, or a reasonable king, or even in the same neighborhood as a responsible king. Minos declared war on Athens. Minos won his war against Athens. Like all winners, Minos got to make some demands, and, because he was still Minos, Minos was a giant raging dick about it.

Minos demanded that seven young men and seven young women from Athens be chosen by lottery and shipped off to Crete every year (or seven years, or nine years) so that they could be chucked into the labyrinth and subsequently eaten by the Minotaur. After a couple such lotteries Theseus, son of Athens' king Aegeus, approaches his father and offers to sort this problem out once and for all. They arrange that the ship will leave flying black sails, and if Theseus is successful in his endeavor he'll change to white. So Theseus gets put on the list of sacrifices for the year and off he goes to Crete. Sometime between the point where he arrives and the point where he gets sent into the labyrinth he meets Minos' daughter Ariadne, who goes completely gaga for him. She decides she didn't really like her brother that much and gives Theseus a ball of thread to mark his path and a hearty "good luck!" Every version of the myth I've ever read glosses over the part where Theseus blunders around the labyrinth looking for the Minotaur, because frankly that poo poo is dull. They all skip to the mighty battle, and I don't blame them. This is the part where Theseus wins the fight and kills the Minotaur, incidentally. Then it's time to start giving that thread a tug, but first, he goes to track down the other kids, half out of nationalism and half because "gently caress you Minos".

Seeing the little cadre of sacrifices coming back out of the labyrinth with all their bits still on and claiming to have killed his wife's son is apparently not something Minos is prepared to deal with, because by all accounts Theseus is allowed to take his ship and the other Athenians and go home. Ariadne, still drooling over the Athenian prince, hops aboard herself, but en route Theseus decides he's not really as invested in this relationship as she is. "She's gotta go," he mutters to himself, and hey would you look at that there's the island Naxos right over there. Theseus makes a short potty stop and "conveniently" forgets to wait for Ariadne. But, that's not the only thing he forgets; he also forgets to change to the white sail (sometimes as punishment for abandoning Ariadne, and sometimes because he's just an absent-minded dunce). So when Aegeus sees black sails on the horizon, he thinks his son is dead and is overcome with grief. Aegeus just can't take it and he throws himself into guess which sea (hint: They named it after him it's the Aegean Sea).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Theseus makes a short potty stop and "conveniently" forgets to wait for Ariadne.
This myth is particularly changeable.

Roughly speaking, there are equal sources plumping for Theseus being forced to leave Ariadne, mostly under attack from Dionysus, or abandoning her deliberately. Outliers are Homer saying Artemis killed her, possibly as a metaphor for childbirth, and Catullus proposing he actually forgot legitimately.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nalesh posted:

The only one I can think of in recent memory that actually somewhat gave medusa a proper look would be dota 2

So.. uhh... they're not even pretending that they didn't steal a whole bunch of art assets from Blizzard on the way out anymore, right? Because that's basically just a high res Lady Vaszj.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Seeing the little cadre of sacrifices coming back out of the labyrinth with all their bits still on and claiming to have killed his wife's son is apparently not something Minos is prepared to deal with, because by all accounts Theseus is allowed to take his ship and the other Athenians and go home. Ariadne, still drooling over the Athenian prince, hops aboard herself, but en route Theseus decides he's not really as invested in this relationship as she is. "She's gotta go," he mutters to himself, and hey would you look at that there's the island Naxos right over there. Theseus makes a short potty stop and "conveniently" forgets to wait for Ariadne. But, that's not the only thing he forgets; he also forgets to change to the white sail (sometimes as punishment for abandoning Ariadne, and sometimes because he's just an absent-minded dunce). So when Aegeus sees black sails on the horizon, he thinks his son is dead and is overcome with grief. Aegeus just can't take it and he throws himself into guess which sea (hint: They named it after him it's the Aegean Sea).

I once read a book set in the Planescape universe which follows an amnesiac hero who has to escape the maze of the Lady of Pain. In the end, it turns out that the hero is Theseus, and considering the labyrinth and the forgetfulness, I found this to be the most appropriate possible choice.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Kurieg posted:

So.. uhh... they're not even pretending that they didn't steal a whole bunch of art assets from Blizzard on the way out anymore, right? Because that's basically just a high res Lady Vaszj.

Gotta admit, I'm not seeing it.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

This myth is particularly changeable.

Roughly speaking, there are equal sources plumping for Theseus being forced to leave Ariadne, mostly under attack from Dionysus, or abandoning her deliberately. Outliers are Homer saying Artemis killed her, possibly as a metaphor for childbirth, and Catullus proposing he actually forgot legitimately.

Catullus 64.

It's because the entire story of the abandonment of Ariadne is embroider in the drapes of the nuptial bed of Thesis, you see. The poem is about the Wedding of Thesis.

Also, it's ambiguous. Ariadne doesn't think Theseus forgot legitimately and Catullus says he fled without caring about it.

The adjective attributed to Theseus in his flight is somewhat ambiguous on whether he knew but didn't care, or didn't know because he didn't care.

Either way, he didn't care.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 4, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Gotta admit, I'm not seeing it.
Well, not sure if you're aware, but DotA1 was a Warcraft 3 mod and Medusa there used literally her W3 model, so it's more of a reference than an outright steal. Plus it seems that Vasz is based on a lot of the mythological/popculture depictions of Medusa anyway. I'm hearing going full circle was fashionable in mythology.

Anyhow, in perfectly Greek spirit, Minos actually gets rewarded for being a dick: after his death, he became the chairman of the three-headed committee that judges the dead so Hades doesn't have to. The kicker? They're all kings known for their just reigns.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Well, not sure if you're aware, but DotA1 was a Warcraft 3 mod and Medusa there used literally her W3 model, so it's more of a reference than an outright steal. Plus it seems that Vasz is based on a lot of the mythological/popculture depictions of Medusa anyway. I'm hearing going full circle was fashionable in mythology.

Anyhow, in perfectly Greek spirit, Minos actually gets rewarded for being a dick: after his death, he became the chairman of the three-headed committee that judges the dead so Hades doesn't have to. The kicker? They're all kings known for their just reigns.

Veryyyyy fashionable.

Which is why you end up with time paradoxes that make the Time Lords seem like they follow linear space-time.

Like Heracles and Perseus being Argonauts, despite Perseus being Heracles' grandfather and being dead at the time.

• Locked thread