Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I never really got into God of War because that boss hydra QTE was literally impossible for me to complete. I just couldn't press the button fast enough and it'd time out. Every single time. Seems like a perfect series to spectate, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

The QTEs only get harder from there. And faster. That's actually one of the most lenient ones in the entire series.

Yeeeeah, I'm glad I never bothered getting any more of them, then.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

rocket_man38 posted:

For whatever reason, the ps3 controller seems harder to pull of QTEs in the remastered version. I got my rear end handed to me by the Minotaurs in GOW1 last night, couldn't press circle fast enough. The rest are fine though, 2 gives me no trouble.

This was the original PS2 release in my case.

And the sequence reaction QTEs aren't that bad (they still suck, but they're doable). It's the "mash a button as fast as possible" ones that I straight up can't do, at least in God of War. (And Shadow Hearts.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I have trouble believing the God of War book is all that bad as licensed fiction goes. I mean, it's written by Matthew Stover. Matthew Stover is one of the few competent authors who's written Star Wars novels, and even managed to do an Episode III novelization that almost manages to make that trainwreck of a script into a plausible, compelling story (not quite, but it is a really tall order, after all). In his original fiction, he's got a series called The Acts of Caine about a very angry man who accomplishes great things (including defeating a god) largely through sheer cussedness and a willingness to be incredibly, shockingly violent when the situation calls for it. He's also written a pair of novels about a mercenary in the Bronze Age Mediterranean, a decade or so after the fall of Troy. So he's basically the perfect person to write Kratos.

...though, now that I did a little digging, it does sound like he started the book in collaboration with this Vardeman fellow I've never heard of, and Vardeman was the one who actually finished it. If Stover's not the primary on it, I grow much more skeptical.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The first few readings did not strike me as particularly awful. Certainly not by the standards of licensed fiction (because hooboy, that is a category of fiction that never gets a whole lot further than "decent" and just making it that far is pretty rare). The prose was purple and a touch repetitive, sure, but it was essentially appropriate for the source material and not nearly as hilarious or memorably bad as y'all seemed to feel it was. I was thinking perhaps you needed to go read something like the Legend of the Five Rings novels. Or the Dune prequels, co-authored with scion of awful scifi, Kevin J. Anderson. Or (no personal experience here, only Richard Cobbett's summaries) the Castlevania II or Baldur's Gate II novelizations, which go off on extremely weird, terrible tangents from the actual games.

Then you read the nature vs. undead scene in this episode and...well, okay. That was pretty silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

No. Pissing off a god gives you the most terrible fate, but kinslaying does that, too. The killing of kin is punishable by the Erinyes, also known as the Furies and the etymological source of the word that means "blinding rage." The Erinyes punished the breakers of sacred oaths of all kinds, not just those who break the bonds of family, and they are known to be older than the Olympiads, frightening to behold, and relentless in their assault.

Also known as the Kindly Ones. As memorably invoked in one of the most epic Sandman arcs.

• Locked thread