Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Smornstein posted:

So is Kratos actually based on someone from Greek myth I've just never heard of or did they just make him up for the series?

He's basically similar to Hercules at least for the first game, but that's about it. The God of War series has a pretty ludicrous body count when it comes to named/unique creatures from Greek myth; nobody "actually" from the original myths does anywhere near as much damage as Kratos does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

A bit more on-topic: I never played this series on account of being a PC snob, but the amount of QTEs looks incredibly tiresome. Fighting games would be better off without them in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, this game is the one that made fighting game QTEs famous. So hey, now you know who to blame! :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So did they make That Section more manageable in any way for the HD port, or is it still the single most painful thing in the entire series?

Are you talking about the pain-in-the-rear end climb, or the pain-in-the-rear end block-pushing bit?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sleep of Bronze posted:

However, he can and does drop a blanket ban on immortal interference in some event if the gods' fighting is getting out of hand.

The Trojan War is a good example of this. Also an example (prior to Zeus stepping in) of gods participating directly in battle, as Ares is on the battlefield and gets wounded.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A few notes from what I remember of the (excellent) Cartoon History of the Universe books:

* Hoplites were basically heavy infantry. They had a pretty full set of armor considering they were fighting in the Mediterranean heat, as well as tall shields and spears. All this armor meant that they had pretty poor mobility though, so I'm not surprised they had trouble with skirmishers.

* Athens didn't get out of the Peloponnesian War scotch-free. It wasn't in danger of starvation during the Siege of Athens, but bringing all those people together, especially with contemporary approaches to hygeine, meant that plague was a serious problem. The author of the Cartoon History series speculates that the comedies of Aristophanes (which are pretty damned funny even today) were in part a reaction to/relief from the horrors of the war.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Davinci posted:

The only QTEs that bothered me we're the ones where you had to turn the analogue stick a certain way, I would consistently fail those at least once every time.

If I recall correctly, my success rate on those improved once I realized I needed to start the analog stick "past" the start point. For example, if the prompt was to do a clockwise half-circle starting at the top, then I'd start with the stick at a 10 o'clock position (i.e. pointing up and left). Dunno what was going on with the game's "gesture recognition", but this helped immensely.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My method for rope fighting was to use the quick jab, and when I got surrounded I'd just alternate jabs back and forth. It seemed to work pretty well (though I never tried the highest difficulty) since the enemies' recovery time from getting jabbed is longer than it takes to perform 2 jabs. Looks loving ridiculous though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

I really like this LP. Does the Rachet and Clank ones have little history/fact lessons in them somewhere too?

Nope; it's basically them just gushing about how awesome the series is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One thing I remember reading somewhere is that "Cyclops", "Cerberus", etc. are supposed to be pronounced with a hard "C". So it's more like Kyklops and Kerberos. Except that nobody pronounces them that way any more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Tell me of these guys that eat something.

Lotus Eaters, unless I miss my guess. Nobody leaves their island.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Alien Arcana posted:

Okay, so there's a steady stream of dead bodies coming from the fortress. Where the hell did they come from? I mean, even Kratos had a little trouble getting there, what with having to hunt down the Sirens and blow the big horn and the whole climb-three-days-and-nights deal. But apparently there's dozens, if not hundreds, of other Greek soldiers who managed to get here first.

Pegasus runs a ferry service, but Kratos refuses to take mass transit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sormus posted:

Ripping off the skeleton's skull clearly opened the doorway, but the bodies in the hallway means someone has already passed the sarcophagus earlier. Somehow this magical skeleton man keeps growing a new head and closing its own casket.

Magic is basically the only reasonable explanation for the many, many traps, shortcuts, puzzles, and the like that get reset every time another Greek hero tries their luck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Mind, the Battle of Thermopylae would have been a bit pointless if the Athenian navy (okay, the league's navy, predominantly Athenian) hadn't defeated the Persian navy as well. It's not like Xerxes (the Persian emperor) wasn't willing to go around the Spartans. Had the Greeks lost either of these two engagements, they would have fallen. I guess Thermopylae gets more attention because of the whole suicidal-last-stand thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Alternatively, someone could give God of War the Doom Roguelike treatment. I'd play it.

The Minotaur reminds you of your bloodstained past. You have been paralyzed. -more-
The Minotaur slams you. The Minotaur slams you. The Minotaur bashes you with its giant warhammer. -more-
You have been killed. Identify your possessions? [y/n]

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
YouTube videos are private.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the game is supposed to infinitely spawn enemies during the cage-pushing section, because God of War hates you. GoW2 has a similar section where you have to alternate between pushing/pulling something (I think it's an elevator of some kind?) and dealing with enemies, and it also sucks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Desfore posted:

So, what weapon/magic are you gonna level up now that the blades are maxed?

I think he's reasonably close to getting the only other magic that's worth a drat. I can't remember exactly when that shows up, but I figure it's been awhile since a new spell became available so it's about time. If not, well, nothing says you can't just bank up your orbs and spend them all once it does unlock.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't remember having too much trouble with the Minotaur (granted that I never fought him on the hardest difficulty because gently caress that). I mostly fought him on the platform with the lever. The thing about him is his attacks, at least on that platform, have gigantic windup, but are so quick otherwise that a single roll gives you enough invincibility frames to just phase through them.

I had a friend walk past when I was fighting him once, and he asked why I wasn't using my magic. My answer? "Because he hasn't hit me yet." :smuggo:

Also, during the period where you're still figuring out how to fight him, normal attacks generate a lot of blue and green orbs, so you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping your health up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

Wait. Ares disguised himself as an old lady to tell Kratos not to kill his family, Kratos did it anyway and blamed Ares?

It's not quite that dumb. But it's pretty dumb.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And one other comparison I'd make between Greek heroes and modern comic books: the most popular hero (Heracles) somehow manages to guest-star in everyone else's line.

Greek heroes really do share a lot in common with modern superheroes. And given that much of the mythology is oral tradition, there's tons of opportunities for a given storyteller to mash their favorite heroes together. Keep in mind that what we think of as the definitive Greek myths are really just the version that had the most enduring support; very likely a given story was rarely told the same way twice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Antikythera posted:

I think he's supposed to be tragic, but like tragic in the way that he's kind of a gently caress up and this is mostly his own fault.

A tragic hero is one who is brought down by his own flaws, which is a fairly reasonable description of Kratos. He doesn't have to be likeable to be tragic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

This is my first exposure to the God of War storyline and I am very very confused.

:kratos: Rargh I'ma kill all the things
:orks: Barbarians rule Spartans drool
:kratos: Oh no Ares save me
:hist101: I'll save you Kratos but now I own your rear end, have some kickass weapons
:kratos: Rargh I'ma kill all the things
:kratos: ~scene missing~
:kratos: Ares sucks donkey balls, also I wanna die now
:j: Hey why don't you go kill Ares for us?

(If anyone cares to suggest a better emote for Athena than :j:, feel free)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks for LPing this game, Kalon! Kind of a weird ending, but what are you going to do? :shrug: It's still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's kind of what I was trying (and failing) to get at earlier when I was talking about hubris. You're basically screwed if you put so much as a toenail out of line with the gods in Greek mythology, for any reason up to and including "the gods said to"; you don't get off with a warning unless you're under so much duress that your mitigating circumstances have mitigating circumstances.

Bottom line is sometimes you just can't win. Greek mythology is not always a hopeful place to be.

• Locked thread