Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Also JP3 was on AMC the other night. When the Spinosaurus attacks Grant quizzes his assistant:
"what do you think it was?"
"snout that big? suchomimus"
"nah think bigger"
"baryonyx?"
"not with that sail"

Like who the gently caress has a paleontology degree and doesn't instantly recognize a spinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

Like who the gently caress doesn't instantly recognize a spinosaur.

ftfy

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dodson raped a child IRL.

Was he a mod because nobody cared.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My girlfriend isn't really into videogames, but became obsessed with beating Jurassic Park for SNES during college.

After many attempts she had a marathon game going and was quite close to the end but ended up getting glitched into a wall somehow and couldn't move.

Now she's mostly just a shadow of the person I once knew.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Sorry to hear about your hand.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
im rereading the book now due to the thread.

they sure talk about the island's foliage a lot and how tiny people sound on radios

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5v3nT8Mn0

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

opus111 posted:

how is Jurrasic Park even close to being a B-movie?

My apologies. One movie out of three movies and two novels was a-list. I feel so stupid and ashamed and disappointed in myself that I neglected to make that distinction in the post, as it would have gone a long way towards not upsetting an annoying pedant on the internet.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
I love Jeff Goldblum, I love Ian Malcolm, but cmon now what kind of man wears a leather suit to a tropical island

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
A rock star.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dodson raped a child IRL.

now he wears a funky hat to disguise himself in gen pop

but then some rear end in a top hat's like, "DODGSON. WE GOT DODGSON HERE!" and the other prisoners beat him to death

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
wait a minute...i just realized what he really wanted with all those baby dino embryos. gross

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Benedick Cuckold posted:

but then some rear end in a top hat's like, "DODGSON. WE GOT DODGSON HERE!" and the other prisoners beat him to death

LOL

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Benedick Cuckold posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scOPfElE61A&t=7s

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i spent a lot of hours on the snes game and never beat it

i remember ammo being too scarce and dying to triceratops randomly running out of bushes

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Absalom Baird posted:

I love Jeff Goldblum, I love Ian Malcolm, but cmon now what kind of man wears a leather suit to a tropical island
I remember in the book there was some bullshit about him believing how wearing all black would not overheat him because of radiation or something.

You know the more I read Jurassic Park the more I dislike Michael Crichton, the movie is just way better than the novel in basically every way. Its a testament to how good Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill and Richard Attenborough were in their roles because in the book Malcolm is the smuggest self-insert, Dr. Grant is kind of bland, and Hammond is generic Crichton evil CEO #210012.

Also the Lost World is a lovely novel written by a guy who was basically forced to do it and is really mean spirited by the end when Crichton is basically "And all these dinosaurs are going to go extinct again because I read about prions and hot drat do I love prions!!!"

Sphere, Congo, Andromeda Strain, and Eaters of the Dead are still cool though. Of those 4 I think Andromeda Strain was a good movie adaption and The 13th Warrior was badass as all hell.

I love Jurassic Park though, if I didn't see it when I was 4 I don't know what I would be doing now since I've spent the last 18 years trying to become a dinosaur paleontologist.

Jurassic Park III killed my childhood though the second the T-Rex got killed by the Spinosaurus, I mean what the hell, they couldn't even redeem it in the end with the two T-Rexs from the Lost World coming in to avenge the death of their child (Did I mention that the T-Rex in JP3 was the Baby T-Rex from TLW :smith:)

Still love The Lost World though.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 28, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This movie still looks better than any single special effects shot in the Avengers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also its a crime that Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill aren't in any big films anymore. I don't know why people think that Jeff is a lovely actor, he's great in every role that he has played, even when he was in one of the Death Wish films or that film where he was a serial killer claiming to be Satan.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

This movie still looks better than any single special effects shot in the Avengers.

That's not super hard to do.

Jurassic Park 3 was really bad, and the spinosaurus was dumb, but I bet Jurassic World is going to be worse. Probably like a big budget Carnosaur movie

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Also its a crime that Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill aren't in any big films anymore. I don't know why people think that Jeff is a lovely actor, he's great in every role that he has played, even when he was in one of the Death Wish films or that film where he was a serial killer claiming to be Satan.

Jeff Goldblum went all weirdo, playing oddball characters. Also, he's old and gray, and too old to get leading man roles anymore.

Sam Neill only did a couple of mainstream American movies.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
I went to jurassic park and the most impressive thing there was a machine that mixed my dna with dinosaur dna to create a dinosaur me that I'm pretty sure had downs.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Forgot about this

A marketing poster SGI made back when Jurassic Park came out.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Why are Grant and Sattler even there? They're paleontologists. You know what they don't teach you in paleontology school? HOW TO RUN A loving ZOO.

They were qualified to do one thing, and only one thing, and that was to confirm that, yep, those are indeed dinosaurs congrats guys. And even that much is dubious because they've never seen anything but fossils. The notion that the could identify species by external morphology alone on sight, at a glance even, is bullshit.

Jurassic Park is so much bullshit. Are the dinosaurs 100 million years old and underground? No? Then you don't need a paleontologist for fuckall anything.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why are Grant and Sattler even there? They're paleontologists. You know what they don't teach you in paleontology school? HOW TO RUN A loving ZOO.

They were qualified to do one thing, and only one thing, and that was to confirm that, yep, those are indeed dinosaurs congrats guys. And even that much is dubious because they've never seen anything but fossils. The notion that the could identify species by external morphology alone on sight, at a glance even, is bullshit.

Jurassic Park is so much bullshit. Are the dinosaurs 100 million years old and underground? No? Then you don't need a paleontologist for fuckall anything.

They were respected members of their field and the ingen board of directors wanted some OMG REAL SCIENTISTS to sign off on the island.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why are Grant and Sattler even there?

pretty sure hammond was trying to cuck grant, that was my read at any rate

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Theshby posted:

pretty sure hammond was trying to cuck grant, that was my read at any rate

no that's what malcolm was trying to do. i mean not even in a jokey way, it's actually in the movie.

hammond was just an overgrown toddler who was obsessed with dinosaurs and was like "OMG a real life paleontologist i hope he likes my dino island :D"

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
btw if u cut out the san diego part of jp2 the movie fuckin owns

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
that scene in the trailer w/ the cracked glass is dope af and v memorable and tense if u dont like it ur a basic b*tch

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the worst part of the book was near the end when Grant was in the raptor hole and he had some kind of raptor bone and he was blowing a raptor tune through it, and the raptors in the hole beckoned to his calling.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

FogHelmut posted:

the worst part of the book was near the end when Grant was in the raptor hole and he had some kind of raptor bone and he was blowing a raptor tune through it, and the raptors in the hole beckoned to his calling.

did grant gently caress a raptor? i only read the lost world, did i miss a raptor loving?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
was that in the book? i thought it was only a dumbass JP3 thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Doc Block posted:

was that in the book? i thought it was only a dumbass JP3 thing.

i dont remember seeing JP3, but hearing that it was just scenes from the books that didn't make it into the first two movies. did they get attacked by a t-rex who swam like a crocodile while floating down a jungle river in an inflatable raft?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Hammond was a major funder of their dig projects and thought they would be pushovers to endorse the park.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

i dont remember seeing JP3, but hearing that it was just scenes from the books that didn't make it into the first two movies. did they get attacked by a t-rex who swam like a crocodile while floating down a jungle river in an inflatable raft?

The Lost World was unused stuff from the first book + stuff from the second book. Jurassic Park 3 was unused stuff from the second book + new stuff.

The raptor call scene was in JP3, but I don't remember if it was new or pulled from The Lost World book.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The pterodactyls in jp3 is inspired by the aviary in the first book

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Doc Block posted:

The Lost World was unused stuff from the first book + stuff from the second book. Jurassic Park 3 was unused stuff from the second book + new stuff.

The raptor call scene was in JP3, but I don't remember if it was new or pulled from The Lost World book.

in the first book, the raptors had some kind of big underground breeding cave. grant went in there and used the raptor call. also he had a scuffle with the lawyer dude and called him a pussy.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

literally the only thing i remember about jp3 is there was a scene where a guy got eaten by compys

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

FogHelmut posted:

in the first book, the raptors had some kind of big underground breeding cave. grant went in there and used the raptor call. also he had a scuffle with the lawyer dude and called him a pussy.

P sure you're making up poo poo that should have been in the book and wasn't but I can't be positive since I haven't read it since I was like 15 or whatever

E: Crichton sucks either way

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 28, 2014

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
beginning to think there are no raptor gently caress scenes at all in this series, but that surely cannot be correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Now I wanna watch the movies again. I hate you guys.

• Locked thread