Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

Also JP3 was on AMC the other night. When the Spinosaurus attacks Grant quizzes his assistant:
"what do you think it was?"
"snout that big? suchomimus"
"nah think bigger"
"baryonyx?"
"not with that sail"

Like who the gently caress has a paleontology degree and doesn't instantly recognize a spinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benedick Cuckold posted:

no that's what malcolm was trying to do. i mean not even in a jokey way, it's actually in the movie.

hammond was just an overgrown toddler who was obsessed with dinosaurs and was like "OMG a real life paleontologist i hope he likes my dino island :D"
Hammond in the movies is based off Andrew Carnegie who was really into dinosaurs and funded a lot of digs to find dinosaurs for his museum. The most famous being Dippy the Diplodocus which has carnegii in the second name. He also wanted to bring joy to children and the lower classes with his philanthropy of building libraries and museums.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Parallax Scroll posted:

literally the only thing i remember about jp3 is there was a scene where a guy got eaten by compys

I think that's the second one.

There's a massive army who are all equipped with weapons and poo poo and they all die almost instantly. It's like they take over the island and capture some dinosaurs and then two days later they are all dead.

Meanwhile in the third one a literal child armed with nothing hangs out on an island with dinosaurs for weeks on his own and gets a little dirty but is otherwise fine.

Although maybe you are right and I'm getting them the wrong way round.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

achillesforever6 posted:

Hammond in the movies is based off Andrew Carnegie who was really into dinosaurs and funded a lot of digs to find dinosaurs for his museum. The most famous being Dippy the Diplodocus which has carnegii in the second name. He also wanted to bring joy to children and the lower classes with his philanthropy of building libraries and museums.

this is sincere to the point where i'm not sure how to ironic-poo poo all over it

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lot 49 posted:

I think that's the second one.

There's a massive army who are all equipped with weapons and poo poo and they all die almost instantly. It's like they take over the island and capture some dinosaurs and then two days later they are all dead.

Meanwhile in the third one a literal child armed with nothing hangs out on an island with dinosaurs for weeks on his own and gets a little dirty but is otherwise fine.

Although maybe you are right and I'm getting them the wrong way round.

soldiers are idiots and kids who like dinosaurs are smart

makes sense to me

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Benedick Cuckold posted:

soldiers are idiots and kids who like dinosaurs are smart

makes sense to me

Guns are bad

Typical Hollywood

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Theshby posted:

pretty sure hammond was trying to cuck grant, that was my read at any rate

That's a pretty JV level cuck plan imo. Why bring Grant along it would be easier to just wow Sattler alone in the jungle, and then out his dino DNA in her without Grant there. Unless he wanted Grant there to see, spiking the football etc. Rich people have egos.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Theshby posted:

this is sincere to the point where i'm not sure how to ironic-poo poo all over it
Well you could say that I'm whitewashing all the terrible things US Steel and by extension Carnegie did to the working class and only did all that philanthropy as a way to save his soul because I'm a volunteer at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. Lots of cool stuff there, what's more amazing is we have stuff in the bone rooms that hasn't been opened up since they came to the museum 90 years ago.

One of my favorite things in the first two Jurassic Park movies are the petty jabs at Robert Bakker done because Jack Horner was a consultant for the films. Jack Horner is also batshit insane and creepy looking (married one of his grad students 4 years ago). Nice guy when I met him at a conference though

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Well you could say that I'm whitewashing all the terrible things US Steel and by extension Carnegie did to the working class and only did all that philanthropy as a way to save his soul because I'm a volunteer at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. Lots of cool stuff there, what's more amazing is we have stuff in the bone rooms that hasn't been opened up since they came to the museum 90 years ago.

One of my favorite things in the first two Jurassic Park movies are the petty jabs at Robert Bakker done because Jack Horner was a consultant for the films. Jack Horner is also batshit insane and creepy looking (married one of his grad students 4 years ago). Nice guy when I met him at a conference though

i though bakker and horner actually had a relatively friendly relationship despite their professional disagreements. like spielberg put a caricature of bakker in the lost world and had him get eaten by a t. rex as a favor to horner. but bakker actually liked it and sent a friendly note to horner telling him so.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

The girl in the original book was probably the worst character in the history of literature.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zenephant posted:

The girl in the original book was probably the worst character in the history of literature.

i dont remember her doing anything

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i though bakker and horner actually had a relatively friendly relationship despite their professional disagreements. like spielberg put a caricature of bakker in the lost world and had him get eaten by a t. rex as a favor to horner. but bakker actually liked it and sent a friendly note to horner telling him so.
Yeah I should have said playful jabs instead of petty.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

i dont remember her doing anything

In the book she was younger was constantly whining. like, non stop, forever.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

1993 was the perfect time to release Jurassic Park as well, do you guys remember the marketing effort/educational aspect put forth about DINOSAURS in the early 90's?

They were loving everywhere.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
also, in the book the kids get hammond killed. the kids have gotten back to the main compound and are screwing around with the computer system, while hammond is walking to the complex from his bunglaow or some poo poo idk. the kids find a program on the computer that plays various dinosaur sounds over the loudspeaker.

so, of course, they play the t-rex roar. hammond hears it and thinks there's a t-rex over by the main compound and starts to walk away, but trips and breaks his ankle. some compys come across him, and since he can't get away due to the broken ankle they eat him.

oh, but he stops trying to get away after a couple bites because, according to the book, compys have something in their saliva that causes numbness and relaxation in their victims. so he just sits there, his mind wandering off into space, while the little compys chow down.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Neurosis posted:

i spent a lot of hours on the snes game and never beat it

i remember ammo being too scarce and dying to triceratops randomly running out of bushes

Like I mentioned earlier, the ending is retarded. Not worth it unless you just wanna blast dinosaurs.

achillesforever6 posted:

But only the super rich because they'd have ahh...uhh..'coupon day' or something.

:disgusting rich men chuckles:

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 29, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wicker Man posted:

Like I mentioned earlier, the ending is retarded. Not worth it unless you just wanna blast dinosaurs.

But only the super rich because they'd have ahh...uhh..'coupon day' or something.

:disgusting rich men chuckles:

In the movie that laugh seems like the exact moment Hammond turns completely evil.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Umm, doesn't the exchange go
Lawyer: "We can charge whatever we want. $2000 a day, $10000 a day, and people will pay it to get in here."
Hammon: "This park wasn't meant to cater only to the super rich. Everyone in the world has the right to enjoy these animals."
Lawyer: "And they will, we'll have a Coupon Day or something."

So Mr Lawyer is the bad guy. Hammond in the movie is supposed to remind us of a friendly Grandfather (whereas in the book he's a straight up shithead).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's been a while since I saw Lost World but isn't the sole reason why everything went to poo poo was because the protagonists released all the dinosaurs from their cages in the big camp? And that was after the protagonists had their lives saved by the big group? So the protagonists basically kille a hundred human beings to saves some cloned freak specimans?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
He may not have been evil, but he was definitely deluded or blinded by some weird ideal. Remember the conversation over icecream with Satler and she shouts at him?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's been a while since I saw Lost World but isn't the sole reason why everything went to poo poo was because the protagonists released all the dinosaurs from their cages in the big camp? And that was after the protagonists had their lives saved by the big group? So the protagonists basically kille a hundred human beings to saves some cloned freak specimans?
I think it was kind of a statement on how ecoterrorism and groups like PETA cause more harm than good.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zenephant posted:

there's a lot of weird misogyny in that book. like in the beginning, crichton for some reason goes out of his way to give a backstory to the mother of the girl who gets attacked by compys, and it turns out she's a neurotic nagging wife who tricked her entire family into vacationing in costa rica so she could get cheap plastic surgery.

and at one point lex puts her hands on her hips and scolds tim, and the text literally says something like "lex imitated her mother's most irritating pose"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Doc Block posted:

also, in the book the kids get hammond killed. the kids have gotten back to the main compound and are screwing around with the computer system, while hammond is walking to the complex from his bunglaow or some poo poo idk. the kids find a program on the computer that plays various dinosaur sounds over the loudspeaker.

so, of course, they play the t-rex roar. hammond hears it and thinks there's a t-rex over by the main compound and starts to walk away, but trips and breaks his ankle. some compys come across him, and since he can't get away due to the broken ankle they eat him.

oh, but he stops trying to get away after a couple bites because, according to the book, compys have something in their saliva that causes numbness and relaxation in their victims. so he just sits there, his mind wandering off into space, while the little compys chow down.

Hammond deserved to get eaten more in the book though, so it evens out.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
http://youtu.be/wc7RIs7okUQ

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ehh I didn't take it that way, he's pretty satisfied with a bullshit compromise.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No, not quite.

They'd only captured herbivores, so all the dinos did was run amok for a few minutes and then scatter.

And the protagonists got rescued after letting the captured dinosaurs go.

It was the protagonists trying to help the baby t-rex that got their poo poo smashed up, after which they got rescued by the hunter guy and friends.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Tim in the book is the computer expert AND the dinosaur expert and also has working knowledge of gene splicing and a doctorate in internal medicine because why the gently caress not

Lex throws a baseball really hard and gets kidnapped by pterodactyls or something

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Tim in the book is the computer expert AND the dinosaur expert and also has working knowledge of gene splicing and a doctorate in internal medicine because why the gently caress not

Lex throws a baseball really hard and gets kidnapped by pterodactyls or something

pretty impressivve for a little kid

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why are Grant and Sattler even there? They're paleontologists. You know what they don't teach you in paleontology school? HOW TO RUN A loving ZOO.

They were qualified to do one thing, and only one thing, and that was to confirm that, yep, those are indeed dinosaurs congrats guys. And even that much is dubious because they've never seen anything but fossils. The notion that the could identify species by external morphology alone on sight, at a glance even, is bullshit.

Jurassic Park is so much bullshit. Are the dinosaurs 100 million years old and underground? No? Then you don't need a paleontologist for fuckall anything.

The board of directors wanted the lawyer and Malcolm. They would be more concerned with liability and making sure everything was checked and double-checked before the park opens.

Hammond wanted Grant and Sattler because he figured they were real dino enthusiasts and would naturally be on his team.

Harald fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 29, 2014

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

look the movie was cool and so was the book too because i was a kid when i saw/read both
dinosaurs were the poo poo in 1993
this is my real "unless you were a 90s kid" poo poo

but why the gently caress did it take 2 years for this movie to come out on vhs?
we got a reserve copy from kmart
KMART!!!!!!

P.S. I never became a paleontologist

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
But is the board made up of impressionable children and/or idiots? I mean, they got behind a plane to clone dinosaurs, so they obviously are. But still, when malcolm and the lawyer are like "poo poo plan, humans are dinosaur food," what's the board going to say when Hammond is all "yeah but these overgrown children doing joke science are pretty fuckin giddy"? If Hammond was savvy enough to be a rich man he'd get some actual expert and pay him off to say it's safe.

It's like hiring a coin collector to give financial advice. All they'll be able to tell you is "lol,yep thats some money."

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else remember that scene from the book where the kids are hiding behind the waterfall and the t rex is sniffing for them and tongues the girl? I am not sure if that actually happened or is just some fan fic kicking around in my head.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Movie magic fun fact:

If you watch the scene with Nedry and the Dilophosaurus, it's interesting to see how the spit is done. Supposedly, the dilophosaurus horks up a huge loogie wad of venom, which Nedry then pulls off of his shirt.

However, if you watch closely, what the movie makers did was simple. The spitter horks its wad, then the actor playing Nedry slaps the goo on his own chest.

I found the video clip. Nedry does his stuff just after the 2:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9q8XCW_Fsk

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Doc Block posted:

edit: also, Malcolm says something about "John doesn't approve of Chaos Theory, especially not what it has to say about his little science project" on the helicopter ride over, so he does know. Maybe he's one of those famous pop culture scientists, so they want his approval for PR reasons, but he's more focused on being a "rock star" than a knowledgeable scientist/mathematician/whatever.

Malcolm is surprised when he sees the dinosaurs so basically before that his opinion is "you can't do it and even if you could it's a loving dumb idea"

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i'd blast my wad on nedry any day of the week

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Its 3bux on Amazon prime to rent Jurassic Park.

Should I do it?

naem
May 29, 2011

Guys hey so if chaos theory is real, every single zoo should be a 24 hour a day blood bath right??

I mean, rare animals should be breeding like rats and albino tigers should be devouring people and chasing rhinos and elephants across northern Ohio 24/7 from the Toledo zoo completely taking over the continent??

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

Guys hey so if chaos theory is real, every single zoo should be a 24 hour a day blood bath right??

I mean, rare animals should be breeding like rats and albino tigers should be devouring people and chasing rhinos and elephants across northern Ohio 24/7 from the Toledo zoo completely taking over the continent??

Tigers escaped from the zoo next to my high school and roamed neighborhoods one morning true story.

naem
May 29, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Tigers escaped from the zoo next to my high school and roamed neighborhoods one morning true story.

So they've completely taken over an repopulated and eat people, all day right??? Chatos fractals!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the zookeepers spliced in some frog dna and life found a way. Pretty stupid of the zookeepers in a post-JP world imo.

• Locked thread