Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
An NHL team in Vegas will:
This poll is closed.
Never happen 39 14.08%
Be moved Thrashers-style after a decade or so 114 41.16%
Lead to contraction in a decade or two 28 10.11%
Flourish, or at least amble on as well as the Panthers 96 34.66%
Total: 277 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

none of the second toronto team supporters ever seem to acknowledge that gate revenue is basically insignificant to modern sports franchises. expansion is going to go to whatever markets grow their tv audience and merchandise opportunities the most. so seattle, quebec, houston, milwaukee, vegas, et cetera

How much do you think TSN would pay to broadcast the Hamilton Humpers games?

How much more or less do you think Spike Sports or whatever the gently caress will pay the Milwaukee mother fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, I bet Wisconsin/Milwaukee would've gotten a franchise a long time ago if there weren't three pro franchises there already. The only way I could see Milwakuee getting a team is if the Bucks moved to Seattle or something, and the city was still somehow able to build a new arena.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

a false posted:

I know Houston is a big city and all but I just do not see it being a good hockey market

Yeah, it wouldn't be instant success by any realistic measure and I'm just pissed about losing professional hockey here period, but the Aeros generally had pretty good attendance numbers, they were generally among the top 10 in attendance in the AHL IIRC. I know that doesn't mean much in the long run, but this city is attracting an enormous amount of people from the Northeast and Northwest and I can't help but think to myself, gently caress, it would have to be a stronger market than what the loving Panthers have got right? :(

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

darkwolf220 posted:

According to the SI article, the 4 team expansion/relocation is scheduled to occur in 2017. LeBlanc bought the Coyotes in 2013 and promised Glendale a 5 year out clause. Hmmm, lets do a little math here... :tinfoil:

TL:DR LeBlanc is going to relocate the Coyotes to Toronto in 2017. Why Toronto? Well he is :canada: , but more importantly the NHL owes him this windfall for sucking it up and buying the Coyotes and eating the losses for 5 years so they would not lose too much face. This is one big conspiracy :(

2013 + 5 = 2018

I did the math

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

darkwolf220 posted:

According to the SI article, the 4 team expansion/relocation is scheduled to occur in 2017. LeBlanc bought the Coyotes in 2013 and promised Glendale a 5 year out clause. Hmmm, lets do a little math here... :tinfoil:

TL:DR LeBlanc is going to relocate the Coyotes to Toronto in 2017. Why Toronto? Well he is :canada: , but more importantly the NHL owes him this windfall for sucking it up and buying the Coyotes and eating the losses for 5 years so they would not lose too much face. This is one big conspiracy :(

So what are you saying, there will only be three actual expansion teams, plus one relocation? Also I don't think you know what TL;DR means.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

shyduck posted:

They need four expansion teams, all in Toronto
I, too, look forward to watching the Sunnyvale Trailer Park Boys.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

hifi posted:

2013 + 5 = 2018

I did the math

Clearly, LeBlanc will break the lease and flee to the greener pastures of Toronto early.

Kevyn posted:

So what are you saying, there will only be three actual expansion teams, plus one relocation? Also I don't think you know what TL;DR means.

No, 2 expansions and 2 relocations. Florida or New Jersey, take your pick. It's Florida

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

To the people who keep saying MLSE would block this move: please, show your work.
  • MLSE would get a massive, massive amount of money as part of an exclusivity settlement.
  • MLSE's co-owner already owns the rights to all of these hot new rivalry games that they will make buckets of cash on.
  • All NHL jersey and merch sales are pooled.
  • The Leafs would continue to sell out all of their games.

So please explain to the thread why you think they would turn down a multi-hundred-million dollar payout and higher TV revenues in return for ~reasons~

All this is moot anyways because Buffalo would block a team in Hamilton. Article 4.1 of the NHL constitution

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

techno allah posted:

All this is moot anyways because Buffalo would block a team in Hamilton. Article 4.1 of the NHL constitution

You also forget that Hamilton is a shithole. At least Detroit was not already a shithole when they got their franchise.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah, it wouldn't be instant success by any realistic measure and I'm just pissed about losing professional hockey here period, but the Aeros generally had pretty good attendance numbers, they were generally among the top 10 in attendance in the AHL IIRC. I know that doesn't mean much in the long run, but this city is attracting an enormous amount of people from the Northeast and Northwest and I can't help but think to myself, gently caress, it would have to be a stronger market than what the loving Panthers have got right? :(

everytime i visit houston like half the people i meet, upon finding out i'm from canada reply, 'me too!'. there's a jillion people who either grew up in alberta or spent significant time there in houston

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Apparently i forgot about 90% of my post, explaining what that article is and all the stupid hockey by-laws i dug up and referenced. In summary it just states you can't have a team within 50 miles of another team.

Here's the actual bylaw

And here's an article about it the first time Balsillie tried moving a team there

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Houston would do just fine with an NHL team. There are TONS of expats there and a lot of them are greedy Canadians after our precious American oil (or maybe its the other way around not sure), the city is just massive, wealthy, and totally obsessed with sports.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

techno allah posted:

Apparently i forgot about 90% of my post, explaining what that article is and all the stupid hockey by-laws i dug up and referenced. In summary it just states you can't have a team within 50 miles of another team.

Here's the actual bylaw

And here's an article about it the first time Balsillie tried moving a team there

The bylaw was brought up irt Balsillie because the NHL didn't want to move Phoenix and hated him / didn't want him having a team -- it won't mean poo poo if it applies to an area/owner/franchise where the NHL actually wants a team (at best that team will just get a payoff).

quote:

“Yes, there are superseding league rules that apply,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email in response to whether or not there are by-laws that usurp the constitutional provisions that govern territorial rights.

“Just because we don’t have a team (in Toronto) or we didn’t agree to Jim Balsillie hijacking a team in Phoenix and moving it into Hamilton, that means the Leafs have a veto? Two plus two doesn’t equal three,” Daly said later that year. But he was just getting warmed up. He went on to say, “the whole concept that someone has a veto is just plain wrong. It’s made up. It’s a falsification of the facts.”

quote:

"Yes, that is the League's position, and has been at least since Gary Bettman has been commissioner," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an e-mail. "The League's interpretation in this regard has been consistently applied and communicated to the board since that time."

Asked whether the Leafs had communicated a change in the team's position to the league since then, Daly wrote, "Not that I'm aware of. But the issue has come up again [after 2006] at a board meeting with the Maple Leafs present, and the team voiced no objection to the League's interpretation."

The owners and the league office are pretty much lockstep and there's no way they would go to war over this.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 27, 2014

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

a false posted:

I know Houston is a big city and all but I just do not see it being a good hockey market

Nobody thought San Antonio could support a basketball team at first and here we are. There's just so many people. And let's not mince words here; a lot of them are rich, white, and northern.

bewbies posted:

Houston would do just fine with an NHL team. There are TONS of expats there and a lot of them are greedy Canadians after our precious American oil (or maybe its the other way around not sure), the city is just massive, wealthy, and totally obsessed with sports.

Montrose is like 90% ex-Pat oil industry workers from around the globe. Surely some of them will enjoy ice soccer.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

You couldnt pay me to live in Hamilton but it's soooooo much nicer than Phoenix

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Just curious, what network would show the games in Vegas? I can't imagine they have a major regional sports network seeing as UNLV is the only major team. Unless there's some chump cable sports network that shows UNLV/U Nevada games and fills the time with high school sports shot with one hard camera.

I haven't heard anyone mention tourists buying tickets and filling up the arena if locals/hotels aren't selling out the games. If you're the sort of person that likes hockey and Vegas I could see people saying "Hey, lets fly out for the weekend from St. Louis/Carolina/Minnesota and catch the game.

Although I think LA/Anahiem games will be like when Pittsburgh travels to Columbus.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

The American Dream posted:

Just curious, what network would show the games in Vegas? I can't imagine they have a major regional sports network seeing as UNLV is the only major team. Unless there's some chump cable sports network that shows UNLV/U Nevada games and fills the time with high school sports shot with one hard camera.

Probably Fox Sports West or whatever their local Fox Sports network is.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I'm actually really curious about how much of a free agent destination Las Vegas would really be.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Laderhan posted:

I'm actually really curious about how much of a free agent destination Las Vegas would really be.

I hear it's a place to visit for a weekend and maybe definitely not to live.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Laderhan posted:

It kinda depends on what your looking for. There are lots of legitimately world class restaurants and bars where rich young guys would really enjoy themselves. so, it might be pretty appealing to those types. for the older guys who are married and have families it would probably look pretty gross

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

techno allah posted:

Here's the actual bylaw

Devils, Rangers, and Isles are all closer than that, and the Islanders are moving even closer. They'll all be within 15 miles. Just funny, is all.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bewbies posted:

It kinda depends on what your looking for. There are lots of legitimately world class restaurants and bars where rich young guys would really enjoy themselves. so, it might be pretty appealing to those types. for the older guys who are married and have families it would probably look pretty gross

The suburban areas are just as upscale and suburban-y as they are around any other major city.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

so basically las vegas' advantage is kitsch architecture and vice

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
if there was a theoretical expansion and then an expansion draft, who would you protect?

the expansion draft rules they used in the 90s are probably pretty much the same as they would use now:

1 goalie, 5 defensemen, 9 forwards or
2 goalies, 3 defensemen, 7 forwards

For teams protecting two goalies: Each goalie left unprotected must have played in 10 games in the last season or 25 games over the last two seasons combined ("games" being where they played at least 31 minutes). No restrictions for teams protecting one goalie.
Also at least one defensemen and two forwards left unprotected had to meet similar requirements (40 games last season or 70 games over the last two seasons).
Pros with two years of experience or less were exempt for all of the drafts but the Wild/Jackets one

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

An expansion draft seems a lot harder to do in a Salary Cap league because if you take somebody's best bargain it hurts a team a whole lot more than just the roster spot, if there's no way they can get a free agent of quality the next season at that price. I bet a lot of owners would want a lot more compensation for that.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

henrik zetterberg
pavel datsyuk
gustav nyquist
dan dekeyser??

rest i dont give a poo poo about.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Gio posted:

henrik zetterberg
pavel datsyuk
gustav nyquist
dan dekeyser??

rest i dont give a poo poo about.

You forgot "double first rounder" kyle Quincey.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

fits posted:

if there was a theoretical expansion and then an expansion draft, who would you protect?

Nashville would probably lose one of their kajillion 3rd line centers:

Goalie:
Rinne

expose: Hutton

Forwards:
Fisher
Smith
Neal
Jarnkrok
Wilson
Nystrom
Cullen
Gaustad
Forsberg if they need to protect tweener prospects, otherwise Jokinen

expose: Bourque, Clune, Roy, Ribiero, Stalberg

Defense:

Weber
Josi
Ellis
Jones
Ekholm

expose: Volchenkov, Bartley

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

:colbert:

joboo002
Jul 21, 2002

Pocket Aces means you're banned.

Filboid Studge posted:

Vegas couldn't support an ECHL team.

The Wranglers are actually coming back next season with a new arena downtown. With Zappos having put their headquarters there and gentrification spreading around that area, I wouldn't be surprised if they do much better than they did at the Orleans.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If this furthers the cause to get Seattle a NHL team, then I'm all for it. It would potentially help with getting expansion to get Seattle an NBA team back, too. I think we'd be doing the city a disservice if we call the team anything other than the "Seattle Freeze."

Vegas makes little to no sense though, considering there hasn't been a major league team that's made it there, and the locals aren't exactly high rollers since it's all a service industry there. My understanding is desert areas lack interest in an ice-related sports too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

seiferguy posted:

If this furthers the cause to get Seattle a NHL team, then I'm all for it. It would potentially help with getting expansion to get Seattle an NBA team back, too. I think we'd be doing the city a disservice if we call the team anything other than the "Seattle Freeze."

Vegas makes little to no sense though, considering there hasn't been a major league team that's made it there, and the locals aren't exactly high rollers since it's all a service industry there. My understanding is desert areas lack interest in an ice-related sports too.

Seattle Totem...if not for it being offensive to native americans would be a bitching name/color/logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Totems_(junior_hockey)

It's a junior league team fwiw.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

joboo002 posted:

The Wranglers are actually coming back next season with a new arena downtown. With Zappos having put their headquarters there and gentrification spreading around that area, I wouldn't be surprised if they do much better than they did at the Orleans.

Oh, that's cool.

Getting nostalgia from the Houston Aeros chat, them vs Milwaukee in I think 2002 was the first North American hockey game I saw in the flesh, as a Euro-fan.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

seiferguy posted:

I think we'd be doing the city a disservice if we call the team anything other than the "Seattle Freeze."
Seattle Fraisers or I'm burning the building down. :colbert:

Seriously though, if I see "Seattle Sockeyes" in the comments section of seattletimes/pi again I may throw up on my keyboard. Fraisers joke aside: there are people up here that seriously want to name it all manner of hokey/stupid/silly/beer league/ECHL-esque names.

Any of the old school Totems franchise's names would work for me at this point after seeing the majority of the stupid poo poo people have come up with.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Lumius posted:

You forgot "double first rounder" kyle Quincey.

i hope the expansion draft allows you to force a player on another team

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Laderhan posted:

Yeah, I bet Wisconsin/Milwaukee would've gotten a franchise a long time ago if there weren't three pro franchises there already. The only way I could see Milwakuee getting a team is if the Bucks moved to Seattle or something, and the city was still somehow able to build a new arena.

Lloyd Pettit was really close to bringing an NHL team to Milwaukee in the late 80's/early 90's. The then brand new Bradley Center was primarily designed to be a hockey arena, the Admirals were drawing close to 10,000 people per game in the loving IHL, and the city was in relatively good shape economically then. Unfortunately, Bill Wirtz was the head of the expansion committee and more than likely demanded an exorbitant expansion fee. Lloyd dropped his bid and looked to buy an existing franchise to move here, but it all fizzled out.

Basically, gently caress Bill Wirtz.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 28, 2014

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think Las Vegas getting a team would be Atlanta all over again, again. Again. How many teams has it taken to figure out that Atlanta hockey is best played in Canada?

I do believe that the best reason to expand to Las Vegas is to give Quebec a chance to get another team called the Nordiques... but this time, without the Pong-style logo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

tarlibone posted:

I think Las Vegas getting a team would be Atlanta all over again, again. Again. How many teams has it taken to figure out that Atlanta hockey is best played in Canada?

Why does Vegas have anything to do with Atlanta in your mind?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

tarlibone posted:

I do believe that the best reason to expand to Las Vegas is to give Quebec a chance to get another team called the Nordiques... but this time, without the Pong-style logo.

Look at how wrong you are. My god. Reading that was a personal low point, and I post in the Playoff GDTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
the nordiques had one of the best logos in the nhl and if you think otherwise you can get out :colbert:

• Locked thread