Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Those tanks are similar to that infamous imperial guard/eldar diorama in that there's pretty clearly a lot of technical skill involved; poo poo is objectively well painted, but they decided to do that with it. It's sad to see talent go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah something about that army evokes a real discomfort and visceral disgust so if he was going for like a Nurgle thing I guess he nailed it but probably not quite how he intended.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Kingdom Death stuff is so loving hilariously childish and stupid. It wants to convince you that it's this totally awesome dark and edgy world that's supposed to be unsettling and disturbing and that there's symbolism behind all the big tittied anime ladies and the dicks and vaginas on a bunch of the monsters but if you have a semi-functioning brain it's all super transparent and you can say "no there's actually no symbolism or coolness to any of this and it's a collection of masturbation fodder alongside some arbitrary genitalia on things."

It's the miniature/board game equivalent of an awkward teenage virgin who's trying really hard to play it cool once his buddies start casually talking about sex.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Whatever about Kingdom Death this poo poo is art and belongs in a museum and I won't hear otherwise.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

You guys a nice clean, smooth coat of white is super tricky ok jesus

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

That is what I really don't get. What if someone models all his Tau Fire Warriors with the kneeling legs?

There are a lot of what ifs without particularly good answers when using that rule. At this point, in 40k specifically, it's probably some mixture of the concept being a holdover from past editions and there being enough variety and unconventional profiles with the models to cleanly implement a base size = specific volume system similar to Warmachine or whatever else.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: every time I learn more about kingdom death, I thank god I'll never have to play with people who bought that poo poo.

It may be a while before those people even get to play with themselves (heyo) because the Kickstarter for the game looks to be just over a year behind schedule at this point.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

That's either a lot of washes over grey primer or crayon

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I told you guys painting white is super hard.

Also that freehanded fly is loving hilarious because it's so obvious someone really likes the idea of doing a gradient via wet blending or an airbrush in order to highlight a low-detail surface but doesn't quite understand.

Also holy moses

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 18, 2014

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Really? Not 'why is she stabbing the sun or a giant tomato with a face in the eye'?

Uh if you took the time to actually look you would notice that it's Santa's toy bag only with eyes and a mouth and filled with blood, and I think you'll find a lot of symbolism here because

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Two terrible things combined into one really long extra-terrible thing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Hope that rear end-strut is only temporary cause otherwise that model just might wind up looking a little bit silly.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I like the contrast of the spackled baby doll with the very competently painted model that's being used for the head.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah it's a real pile of poo poo even without the lovingly sculpted greenstuff dick. The other extreme models are nice and the outlier is absolutely the warpwolf as some kind of hosed up nonsense-pose sabertooth cat abomination.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I wonder if that was a quick trip to a corner store of if he generally just keeps a bunch of cat food, booze and assorted small plastic birds within arms reach.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I always get sad when I see Kingdom Death compared to Monster Hunter and the Souls games because the latter two are extremely tight and competently made pieces of work, with Souls stuff in particular having a great somber style that doesn't have to resort to childish gross-out poo poo thinly veiled by pseudo-symbolism.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I always do heads first partly because I tend to work from top down anyway, but also because for sure faces are the easiest thing to gently caress up. If you really botch poo poo up you can just dunk the head into a little bit of simple green, hit it with a toothbrush and a new spritz of primer and just try again.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't know what to think of what seems to be Privateer Press trying to go really wide really fast. They always seemed to kind of stumble outside of Warmahordes, and 3rd edition of that has established a weird situation where it seems like they're doing fine but at the same time communities for the game also seem to have totally withered. I wish they would focus and hunker down and make a strong concerted effort to revitalize their core product. I appreciate their ethos of trying to make complex competitive poo poo, even if they don't always succeed at it, but they certainly can be embarrassing at times in other aspects.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I hate sounding like a broken record because I've bitched about Kingdom Death a lot before but it's the most textbook example of cargo cult bullshit. They're aping Dark Souls and similar aesthetics without a consistent underpinning theme or quality to any of it. It exists solely so everyone at the table can sit there and act very straight faced and "mature" about the subject matter when in reality everyone is either a) uncomfortable or b) horny. It's an embarrassing loving mess with no rhyme or reason, but hey the one positive is that it's good for letting you immediately know someone has horrendous taste in style and game mechanics both.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I didn't want to drag out the conversation when KDM came up again in the board game thread recently, but the specific topic here is a little more pertinent. I think KDM exemplifies everything wrong with superficial and lovely board game design, and the aesthetics are such a huge part of that. It's basically copying the idea of mature or grotesque styling of things and dark, unsettling themes but with nothing behind it. It fancies likening itself to stuff like Dark Souls, but I believe it was in a Dark Souls interview the concept of retaining "dignity" was brought up with those types of design and I feel that's a good succinct way of phrasing it. You don't just throw out nasty poo poo for shock value while rubbing your chin and pretending you're a big mature adult for appreciating such heavy themes. KDM is just tits and dicks and dark imagery with no cohesive vision, and it's pretty silly to compare such a simple minded presentation of things to other media that is actually trying to convey something. It's technical competence combined with the mentality of an edgy teenager doodling poo poo in the margin of their notebook who is desperately wanting to make something grandiose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The painting is actually pretty decent from a technical level providing a nice and fairly different version of the classic "good painting, reprehensible model" situation.