Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Normally IG painted as Nazis is pretty terrible, but I'm gonna be honest, this is just so over-the-top it spins back around into being hilarious. I just can't take the guy holding a banner of a guy holding a banner or the huge flag draped over the Basilisk's treads seriously. Maybe it's secretly a Wolfenstein-themed army?

The guy has other armies also painted in the Nazi fetish style.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ignite Memories posted:

What on earth, why would you even, what is that supposed to, HUH?!??

He's casting the warp charge 3 power "Maelstrom of Jizz Hats."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I knew BTP were lovely but this is something else. If they were operating in the UK they would be breaking the law with that poo poo. It is blatantly misleading advertising and a product not suited to the purpose. And if they tried to confiscate your goods they would be crucified.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hah, Maelstrom. Been a while since I saw that logo. Fuckers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Glukeose posted:

I think if I knew what an actual professional job was supposed to look like I'd be a bit more disappointed with that Land Raider. As it stands I'd be absolutely pleased if I could manage something like that. Those Warmachine guys on the other hand do look pretty bad, and I think the massive pricetag that these Blue Table dudes put on their work is absurd.

If you want an idea of just how atrociously poo poo that Land Raider is for a paid-for paintjob go and look at the model painting thread in this sub-forum. The vast majority of posters aren't commission level, but almost everyone is doing better than that Land Raider. If I bought that off ebay the first thing I would do is strip it. The first thing I'd do if I received it from a professional painting company is look up the number of Trading Standards.

It's not even a really a talent thing. That Raider has been painted in a deliberately technically sloppy way. Without seeing any of your painting I am absolutely confident that you could do better than that simply because you gave a poo poo about the results.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pierzak posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Dark_Eldar/DARK-ELDAR-TANTALUS.html

No Nazi flag inspiration at all. Completely accidental :rolleyes:

I realize that scheme is often parodied as shorthand for "evil oppressive regime", but come on, we've got enough Nazi imitators in the hobby as it is, they don't need encouragement.

Have you gone mentally ill?

It's a red sail with a white oval and something that looks like made up Kanji. I think you have been confused by colours and shapes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Tallarns are closer to T.E. Lawrence's Arab allies. The Desert Rats were just British troops so hardcore they wore shorts into battle.

And going back to that sail, to further undermine the claim that it's somehow a Nazi tribute band, the predominantly red sail is an alternate colour scheme used on the Heavy hulls. The Dark Eldar transports with the same hull and sail use white with a red oval. Because red/white/black make excellent contrasts to the dark blue-green of DE vehicles.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Darren MacLennan posted:

I think that it's entirely understandable to be uncomfortable about playing Germans in World War II games, and I don't see the linkage between religion in a fantasy world and an actual army that supported a fascist, racist ideology that cost million of lives.

I think people uncomfortable with playing Germans in a WW2 game are just as stupid and weird as the ones who will only play Germans. If you cannot divorce the aesthetics of miniatures from the human tragedy of the concentration camps then you have the emotional development of a child.

My friend's Grandad was on HMS Barham when it was torpedoed, doesn't mean that he didn't enjoy sinking the Barham in Silent Hunter III.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Darren MacLennan posted:

"...and that's turn six, game. Alright, the German side won! I wonder what happens next?"

"Well, I guess they'll probably filter out all of the Jews, shoot them in a ditch outside of town, burn the place down and throw some bodies down the well so that the advancing Russian hordes can't use them."

"...yaaaaaayyy..."

If someone is so traumatised by an event that happened seventy years ago to other people that they cannot play a game based upon an abstracted recreation of history involving bad people then perhaps they should either grow the gently caress up or consider just playing something based in pure fiction.

The Nazis were undeniably evil. The Soviets were equally evil. The British Empire wasn't very pleasant, and the US isn't a stranger to genocide either. Do people feel uncomfortable playing those factions as well within the confines of an abstract game, or is it just the Germans?

"I'm not comfortable playing the Germans" reeks of hypocritical hand-wringing bullshit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Which person should not be playing historical war games? The person who gets all :ohdear: over not wanting to play the Nazis, or the person who gets all :rant: over people who don't want to play the Nazis? I can kind of understand the former, but don't really get the latter. v:shobon:v

He means the person who will tell you they find playing Germans in WW2 #problematic, but have no such qualms about playing another faction which was also not very pleasant during that period.

Wanting or not wanting to play any faction is fine, it's a personal preference. My point was that the people who go out of their way to say "I can't play Germans because it triggers me" are just as weird as the people who are over enthusiastic about why they only play them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lichtenstein posted:

Was there a person in the history of gaming who got white guilt over Rorke's Drift?

I can't remember the user name but there was someone in the 40k thread who would not shut the gently caress up any time the Imperial Guard Praetorians regiment was brought up. The Praetorians being red-coated, pith helmet-wearing British Army analogues produced specifically for a giant diorama of 'Ork's Rift' where they were besieged by space Orks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've never heard of that happening, and as far as I can remember it has always been the case that models must be based on the slotta supplied.

But yeah, 40k currently goes on LoS to the head, arms, torso, legs. Wings, antenna, guns etc do not count.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He'll have trouble drawing LoS to hit anything unless he's standing in the open. It's swings and roundabouts.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Discount hasn't been 50% for a long time. Not for sales personnel anyway. Far as I know you'd need to be a legacy to still get that. As for sales targets, well yeah, it's a business.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He paid £460 for that? What the gently caress? And he's happy? gently caress me!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
As the fields of nodding-grass grow bare the herd must move on in search of better grazing. This is the way of the Scruntch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but it's never "T-34s had some reliability issues". It's blind repetition of propoganda on the same margins as 40k's "Tyranid guns are made of skin and often fall apart". Listen to a wehraboo and you'd get the impression that a T-34 was lucky if it made it off the factory line intact and spontaneously collapsed at some point over the next week.

The only thing the T-34 had wrong with it was that the gearstick was harder to shift than the smell in a hobby shop. Other than that it was a drat near perfect piece of machinery.

Edit: It had two things wrong with it. The other was that it wasn't a KV-2. I loving love the KV-2.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Use Biostrip20. Non-toxic, non-irritant.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Drake_263 posted:

Protip for aspiring paint strippers: Get two tupperware containers with lids, the kind that you can neatly nestle within one another and get a nice seal. Take a smallish (~2mm) drill bit and drill a shitlot of holes in the bottom of one tub. Put the minis in that, the whole thing in the intact tub, and pour in the superclean. Slap a lid on the whole thing, of course.

Once your minis have soaked you can just take off the lid and gently lift the upper tub, and the holes in the bottom will neatly strain the superclean out. You won't even need to fish around for all the loose bits!

This is another reason I really like Biostrip, you don't need to worry about soaking them. You apply it with a brush and it just sits on the model until you rinse it off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nurgle is comfort. Nurgle is acceptance. Nurgle is the abandonment of hope and of despair. Nurgle is meeting the inevitable and embracing it with the laughter of a cynic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LordAba posted:

The dudes have | slits on the face while the females have Y slits on the face.

I think you'll find that female Tau have boob tube armour and massive tits thank you very much. The colour guide in the latest codex where a fully armoured Firewarrior is referred to as female yet looks indistinguishable from the other helmeted Shas'la is just an example of lazy asset re-use and a lack of proof reading.

*Pushes glasses up nose, returns to Warseer.*

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ineptmule posted:

Yeah I feel that CAD designed minis somehow lose some of the artistry. Which sounds like a wanky thing to say akin to arguing for vinyl over digital but, certainly at the moment, the serene crispness of a CAD designed model somehow telegraphs that that is what it is in a way that the chunkier, flawed nature of a classic mini does not.

I think it is down to the nature of CAD itself, if you have easy access to identical digital components, you're less likely to spend time on the detail work simply because you can grab elements from the library. Whereas sculpting by hand meant that the detail work was done from scratch every time. Which would require more time and thought.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's what she said.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, the pilot's wearing armour anyway, so they are no less armoured if they get hit in the arms than a normal soldier, while being substantially better protected elsewhere. I would assume the idea is that it's more a high mobility fire superiority platform than it is a walking main battle tank.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's something about Battletech models. Whenever I have seen pictures of them the paintjobs have been of a quality to put the Fighting Tigers of Vega to shame. It's like there is a weird gentlemens agreement that they all have to look like poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Probably connected to the twenty-odd years that they didn't have the rights to the best designs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Every time I tried MWO it was significantly worse. They kept patching in more and more cash shop poo poo while making the game itself worse. Some of it was funny, like the hilarious broken stupidity of when they introduced ECM, which resulted in a friend and I essentially being invulnerable god beings in our Ravens for a week. But mostly it was horrible poo poo like broken netcode, and balance ideas like nerfing SRM to the point that being in a missile-rigged Atlas made you feel weaker than a Hunchback.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Yeah. But it's Battletech, where nothing matters and you can swap all the poo poo out of the raven-shaped bucket for free whenever you want. So take off the whatever and put in the whatever, and go out and shoot at robots in your robot.

That's not how they work though. Omni-mechs yeah, but if you're in an Atlas variant with a preponderance of missile slots then you're utterly hosed if SRMs get nerfed. Because a missile Atlas is by far and away most effective as a close-in brawling nightmare. You could load LRMs and ineffectually try to fight at range, or some SSRMs and maybe leg a light mech, but the fundamental role of the 100 ton assault mech is then compromised. So you have to then buy a different variant of the Atlas to not be hamstrung.

The MWO devs just didn't seem to understand what they were doing when it came to adapting their core rules to a real time setting. Also the matchmaker was one of the harshest I've ever seen for skill-based rigging. Do well and you would be viciously hammered into the ground for it until your rating went down again.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The perspective in that picture is breaking my mind.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That would have been quite cool without the tits.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

any complaints i might have about the tity necrons are rendered null and void by

from the same company

Perfect for a 'stealer cult.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Suddenly I am thinking of the C S Goto wikipedia entry.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Stencil not actually making contact with the model? He was probably holding it with his off-hand like a scrub. Tape your stencils yo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

lokipunk posted:

Too bad clear bases are specifically illegal in Warmachine.

Seeing you guys tear into that guy really makes me nervous about my painting, then again I am not advertising for commissions and am steadily improving.

No one in the SA hobby ghetto will poo poo on someone who is trying to improve. The painting & modelling thread is a genuinely excellent resource for information and assistance.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh I'm an arsehole, but the P&M thread is hallowed ground.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueryMAh5EzI

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Genghis Cohen posted:

:stare: i’m the last person to defend infinity’s crappy anime influenced weirdness, bu that’s quite an interpretation. It may say more about you than the models pictured!

Yeah I'm not seeing it either.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 25, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The best thing about the outrage over that survey question is that if you've spent enough time in GW stores, let alone at the Nottingham HQ, the Other these people hate was embedded all along. GW has long been a 'safe space' for all manner of people who haven't always been accepted by society. At least, that's the experience I've had as an outside observer.

Hopefully these fuckers will be pissed off enough to just leave the hobby once the planned :females: minis start to become more prevalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Male Escher gangers makes gently caress all sense in the fluff. Every re-imagined gang has concept art for women gangers.