Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rkajdi posted:

Wait, that guy was the rear end in a top hat with the infamous Nazi guard army? Christ, nice to have known before I ever tried to respond to him on Dakka.

A bunch of us from the old offsite SA 40k forum called him out on it in the original dakka thread and it resulted in mods deleting all of the posts that weren't ooh and ahhhhhing the paint job. I still have the PMs and he starts decrying SA as a bunch of manchildren and says he can spot a goon a mile away lol

I wonder what would happen if you tried to make a post using the old pics and asked him what his commission rate would be.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Colonial Air Force posted:

Aren't all those tiger-striped marines supposed to be women?

Yeah, nothing wrong with that though. Women != XY

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That actually owns. It's a ninja turtle that can be also made into a scrunt. Looks like he just commandeered something from that brain in a fat suit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ugh, it's so nicely painted too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Exactly. That's a really nice Mario cloud base going on there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

StErN posted:

From the warmachine thread, so I can't take credit for finding it. Painting isn't bad, but why sculpt this:

:nws: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75492 :nws:

"Most wargamers wouldn't know/realize so it's fine!" I wonder if he knows it applies to him first and foremost. I wouldn't know and nobody is commenting on it because they wouldn't know either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ahahaha saw this on my Facebook dakka feed. Feed usually shows off nicely painted models but this time it was about idiot nerds who don't realize how creepy they are being

Best part is now you know the names of people not to play with, cuz they're ranting on Facebook too lol

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/615748.page

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The only heroic scale pussy is the tiger that He-man rides IMO.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don't make me dig through the grognards.txt facebook posts!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

The sad thing, as with many similar models, is that the painting and the modelling are of high quality. The subject matter is just disturbingly lovely. It's like the notorious guardsmen-on-elder rape diorama. In fact, similar enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy...

It's also like Kingdom Death. it's such a loving shame when people with talent like that make such dreck.

It's possible it could be done out of irony and that the guy harvests all the creepy replies and puts them in grogs.txt threads but that's a lot of ironic effort

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hedningen posted:

I think it's the confusion regarding horror - it's meant to be unsettling, but not the kind where the unsettling factor comes from the horrible mental image of nerds masturbating over tiny, carefully-sculpted vaginas.

It seems to be a meta trend with horror board games. One of the more popular Ameritrash board games, Arkham horror, does the same thing. It's utterly horrific when you play the game and you take your role as a maddening scientist, but not by the game rules - because of it. It's horribly written and your mind slowly goes mad trying to understand it all and you plunge into the depths of despair until C'thulhu emerges and you flip the table, destroying it. Somewhere on the other side of the world another group does the same thing, playing by a wholly different set of rules and game "reality."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pierzak posted:

Hey guys do you know this Infinity game which has amazing models and their the best and

guys?

Good clown makeup, covers up the gross boob window and replaced it with dick and balls, 8/10.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

lilljonas posted:

That said, few people are worse painters than historical gamers. I'll dig for some prime examples for the thread when I get home from work.
Really? I thought that with them being older and being more anal about details they'd have better results. Or is it that they're anal about colors but beyond that gently caress it my goopy faced Napoleon is fine? Now I want a scrunt Napoleon give me a scruntoleon

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rkajdi posted:

Ask and you shall receive:

Those grognards really let themselves go

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't have time to paint, I need to play this game and learn tactics!

*plays war hams

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

The funniest part is that the actual amount of paint thinning you have to do in order to not obliterate detail is very small in my experience. If you're using Reaper or Vallejo you can almost use it straight from the dropper bottle, and even the thicker GW pot paint is more a matter of 'wet your brush and swirl it around some' than 'painstakingly keep track of paint-to-water ratio.'

You almost have to be trying in order to get the sort of caked-on monstrosities people usually show as examples of THIN YOUR PAINTS.

The nice thing about Vallejo air is that you could actually brush them right out of the bottle. It's extremely helpful for when I don't have my thinner mix.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's pretty cool and inspiring. I don't get the people who see really good paint and resolve to continue being bad cuz they'll never reach crystal brush standards anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

An Angry Bug posted:

On that note, what's a good thinner to use? The terminology of this poo poo is confusing. Why does paint thinner destroy paint instead of thin it?

60 water, 15 blending/retarder medium, and 25 acrylic flow release is a good start. Add more retarder fluid and less water as you start blending. If by destroy you mean lose its water adhesion, then yes that's what it does. It makes it easier to apply paint when they don't form puddles everywhere. It's more runny and easier (and harder) to apply so it's like painting with water colors.

E: if you meant brand I use golden additives which should be at any craft/arts store and Liquitex slow-dri retarder at any arts store.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JcDent posted:

I'd say their biggest problem is a very "Go-Bots" feeling they give. Like they're a cheap Chinese knock-off that a parent buys their child because they don't have money for the real deal. Disappointing for all parties involved.

Well considering that all of 40k is a cheap knockoff of something else anyway, these terminator knockoff knockoffs look really cool. It's also why tau that are made to look like gun dams are even more funny and ridiculous.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

An Angry Bug posted:

Wow that's complicated. Haven't even painted my first miniature yet, largely because every single time I'm about to start there's apparently some new step with the paint in the bottle not actually being a finished product or the primer not liking the weather or the kits including accessories that the models aren't actually allowed to use. Next I'll have to praise the freaking machine spirit in the brushes before every brush stroke. The barrier to entry in this hobby is really irritating.

Just paint, dude. I sucked at painting at first too and I'm getting back to where I left off before my long hiatus. But, I'm continually seeing faults with my technique cuz I'm now trying to blend Picasso style with these new minis and it's much harder on a large vehicle without an airbrush - though an airbrush does lose a lot of that painting "gritty" feel that makes a Picasso a Picasso. I painted for competitions way back and would like to do so again. So, the feel of the paint mix is huge to me - you probably won't even notice any difference in mixes until a year or two in the future. Brush helps a lot here but you won't need to worry about bellies and springiness until you get a feel for what you enjoy.

I just bought some close out W&N707s that the nice lady at the art store let me try out. It doesn't have the spring and feels limp compared to my trusted 7s but they were only $4 each after the huge discount. They're gonna be for base coats and large blends (size 0 and 1) so I don't feel too bad about it. :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

An Angry Bug posted:

gently caress it, expect a direct contribution to the thread later tonight.

Please make a scrunt. The lowly scrunt is the best first model almost all of us have missed out on, don't miss out on it yourself!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

(Wo)man faces on Slaanesh demons make sense if you think about it. ;)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop: every time I learn more about kingdom death, I thank god I'll never have to play with people who bought that poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo the detail and blending on that hull is amazing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't know why anyone even does commission painting when the rates are horrible. Western society is now so used to getting cheap labor from China for amazing goods (those PS3s and iPhones should cost more were they produced here, company takes most of the profit on top of that, etc.) that we balk at paying $10/hour for painting services. I work at Uni doing nothing at all while studying for $10/hour and would never take a painting commission even though people have asked me. I tell them I probably take 5-10 hours on my models and like hell are they gonna pay me at least $100 for a single mini.

The rates that BTP is charging for minimum quality stuff should be the baseline. That people charge even less for better quality is insane. I just don't understand how people take up commissions that take tons of hours at less than minimum wage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Things like BTP get by because there are ostensibly a lot of people working on projects like these. Assuming their painters are making 10/hr, do you really think it took someone anywhere near 72 billable working hours to poo poo out these loving disgraces?
Yes. Even with airbrushes, the number of models and details would easily add up to 72 working hours at a reasonable pace. Unless you're expecting painters to work at blitz speed or like Kraken said outsource it further to lower wage areas. Go to any painting thread and see the progress of a single model in an afternoon. These are professional services but I am assuming reasonable pace here.

But yea I was implying that as a western society member there is absolutely no reason to paint due to the cheap expectations of pay and labor. Unless you're in dire financial straits like slim in which case you have my sympathy.

It's really weird when stuff like etsy gets brought up and how expensive things are when people expect their knitted, painted, and drawn products from the US to cost the same as stuff from China.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

If an employer is paying someone gross $10/hr, the cost of that employee to the employer is likely twice that. Unless they're paying them $10/hr on a 1099 basis, in which case, LOL, but also their per-employee overhead is less (but it still exists).

If you are running a business, you must add additional overhead on top of your per-employee costs. Obviously marketing is one place where BTP spends money, but you also have to pay for things like your accountant, your business taxes and licenses, your workplace (even if you are working out of your home, you have to furnish some place or another with business equipment), and so on.

And of course, paint and painting supplies aren't free. You pay for packaging and shipping, and labor time to pack and ship things. Someone has to be a customer contact, handling inquiries, booking sales, scheduling jobs, and so on.

And uh... you have to pay yourself too, or what is the point? Running a company with 10+ employees and at least scores of customers is a full-time job.

All told if I was going to try to run a miniature painting business with multiple employees, I'd probably be charging significantly more than BTP charges.

The difference though, and the actual problem with BTP, is that they're dishonest. Their results are not up to the level they promised their customers, they're also inconsistent, badly designed (bad color combinations), utilize poor technique (drybrushing where it's not appropriate, for example), and have a business practices that are at least shady, if not illegal. They also as we have seen have terrible public relations practices; leaking customer communications, attacking critics, whining and making excuses and just being super unprofessional in every way.

It's entirely possible that painting miniatures, in the US, is not viable as a business plan because customers are unwilling to pay enough for quality work to make it profitable. The correct business response to that situation is to try a different line of business; not lie and cheat and bitch and moan and rip people off to compensate for the bad market conditions.

:agreed: I didn't know about any shady business practices which is probably what the Dakka drama is about but I just don't understand how people can legitimately set up a business to paint in the US without being really hard up for money. In which case it's a catch-22 situation since those who have enough money to set up a business and not just a side project commission activity are crazy enough to do it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Used :eek:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

"I have to buy these 'female parts'" - no big surprise there, bud.

mods plz rename thread

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why does she look like she's in pain :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The cool dude looking longingly is the best part

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm the space marine that staunchly rejects the alluring female form and instead looks forward to the company of battle bros back on the barge

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's actually the only post made that was good cuz it was against low-strength women inside of grog-expected gender roles. But Ya it's funny to see posts when the grog is coming from inside. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Who the hell thinks a pencil dick with an engorged head is better than a thicker, fuller cock?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please nobody bid on it. I will bid on it and buy it and paint it up to a good standard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's cool, but you must post pics in this thread.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

YF19pilot posted:

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the flaming blue dick of Tzeentch: Remarkable Minis Thread.

Who won that auction btw? Show us your dick, winner

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is that totally spies? :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Odd the rebels aren't chaos, but now I want a chaos Sherman marching through the rebel Galaxy until he reaches the great space sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looks like an old Jurassic park set. The skull dozer prob even has a chunk of skulls you can remove!