Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bucnasti posted:

Are those custom treads with bones on them? This guy is not loving around.

The bone is one that came with the old skeleton warriors, so I think he put it on a tread and then made a mold out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hello Kitty you say?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've painted nude miniatures before, but that's taking it to a whole extra creepy level.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Panzeh posted:

As I said in the warmahordes thread, that is a heroic scale pussy.

54mm gash in a 32mm world

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does anyone have pics of the all Dryad WHFB Wood Elf army that was 90% different model railroad trees and hedges with googly eyes glued on?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It would look fine if he used Matte Varnish. The problem with painting effects like heavy shiny inks and dipping is that the shinyness of the ink/dip basically removes the layering effect caused by using them via light reflection. You need to either go over them with matte varnish to get rid of the shine or mix in matte medium when you apply them (GW washes for instance contain matte medium which is why they cloud sometimes if improperly used). It also doesn't help that he has made the problem worse by using a very bright flash that in combination with the shiny wash lights up parts of the model that wouldn't even be visible in normal light (the mouth for instance).

Without all the light based fuckery it probably looks more like this in real life: http://ladytygress.deviantart.com/art/40K-Chaos-Nurgle-Typhus-42461486

The undercoating is better on that mini, but you get the idea.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 13, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

HiveCommander posted:

I think I need this in my life :allears:

It used to have a thread on Asrai but I cant seem to find it now.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also that guy's painting is not very good for studio painter. A lot of people here are way better than him. A lot of his stuff is lazy as hell if you pull up the full size version. It's like the miniatures equivalent of a tattoo that looks good from a distance but has tons of blow outs and wiggly lines up close. A lot of photo retouching and post processing work done one those figs too.

Not that he's a terrible painter or anything, but there is a reason people make fun of Kingdom Death. That dude would be good if he was a hobbyist but as a studio artist he's pretty awful, especially compared to a lot of the guy's who aren't on payroll.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Direwolf posted:

I thought that was a random off topic picture.

http://gallery.kingdomdeath.com/Preacher-Advanced-Painting-Guide

Jesus

They don't mention the part where you make your highlighting look better by using a shitload of front light :(

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Silhouette posted:

No you don't!

(It's from Battle Master :v )

edit: gently caress, i'm wrong. The ten pounds of paint obscuring everything threw me off, the shield looked integral. Jesus.

The minis from Battle Masters are just recasts of other GW minis with minor alterations. The only unique one is the canon and sort of the Chaos Knight (he was repurposed from a different unreleased game).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The chaps are stupid but I feel the faces accurately represent what a woman would look like after being made into a marine. All these pervy weirdos love the idea of female marines, but how many of them realize that post surgery/steroid/whatever treatments you'd basically have Chyna's face with the body of Triple H. That would be the best troll, if GW was just like "Oh yeah, there are female marines, but after genetic modification VIA ancient tech sorcery implant and the cultivation of an entire subdermal exoskeleton all marines are basically genderless and you cant tell them apart."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
After decades of constant errant titties on everything I for one welcome our new rhinoball overlords.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Eh, I own a bunch of the Shadowforge tribal mini's for my Mordheim Amazon warband. At the time I bought them they were actually the most tasteful amazon sculpts being done by a company (Foundry has some that included an elf using a tree as a stripper pole!). Sure most of them have their titties hangin out, but at least with Amazons that's a little more acceptable. I ended up greenstuffing more clothes on the vast majority of them. The worst thing is that the studio paint schemes are awful and the models are actually a lot better than they look, what is hard to make out in the lovely studio photos is how much of a loving SHITPILE THE FEET ARE. Holy titty twisting poo poo are they bad. It's like you described roughly what a foot was to a footless man with very few artistic skills and then got him to sculpt one. I'm pretty sure one of mine has six toes on one foot and none of them are big toes.

I think there is a limited range of mini where nudity can be OK (for both genders). Berserkers, Amazons/tribesmen, mermaids/forest spirits/satyrs, and evil demons. Also I guess anything where there is a historical precedent and the nudity is there to retain historical/thematic accuracy (I dont think tittygladiator counts btw) and nude figures being painted in order to do nude figure painting (slippery slope with that one I guess, but no one argues nude figure drawing is tearing apart the art world with its pervyness).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
That montage at the end is loving disappointing for a miniatures painting service. Most of those are at the level I would do for basic troopers (3-5 color palette, obvious drybrushing, heavy use of the "basecoat -> Wash -> Rehighlight" method) and I guarantee they are charging way more than I do. I charge cost of model for heroes and large pieces like chariots but for that level of painting I'd probably go half price on the big stuff like the Phoenix and Chariot.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm still mystified how people are paying him like 15 bucks plus a model for basic troops when the industry standard is 5.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

That "industry standard" either assumes sub-minimum wage or that the figures are totally done in 30 minutes.

You don't make minimum wage painting miniatures, you will never make any good money painting miniatures unless you are a speed painting machine. The 5 dollar standard for troops is usually because you paint batches of 10-20 at a time using basic techniques. So it takes you probably 4ish hours but you're making like 10-20 bucks an hour in theory if you can pound them out fast and not gently caress up.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

It's pretty terrible. I know a girl who recently gave up on doing commissions. She did amazing work but refused to charge anywhere near what she was worth. I think the final straw was when an army she'd knocked herself out completing showed up back at her game store months later - with some Storage Wars type lot-buyers asking if it was worth anything.

I think that pricing standard comes from people unwilling to charge their "friends" or drastically under-valuing their time ("I'm compensated in fun!") but either way paying $5 for figure's worth of effort and skilled labor would be completely unacceptable anywhere outside of this damaged hobby.

Let me be clear, you don't do 5 dollars a fig for anything less than groups of ten or so guys you can batch paint. That rate isn't people doing it for their friends, it's from actual pro painting services. If you can't batch paint 40 dudes in under 5 hours you shouldn't be in the industry. It's like complaining that someone makes less than minimum wage cutting and edging your lawn if he takes a huge amount of time to do it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Commission painting and being good at miniature painting are two totally separate skills. If you are a super talented painter you shouldn't be doing commission you should be either selling single mini's on eBay or trying to get a job working for a game studio that will pay you employee wages to paint studio schemes. Commission painting requires you to be able to paint fast and efficiently and have good skill with things like color blocking and doing really simple but effective color schemes, washes and highlights. I think this is where people get tripped up, there is a lot of money to be made doing commissioned work, but in order to make that money you need skills that aren't just "can paint a mini good". Too many people go in being like "this isn't fair, I take so long to paint minis and make poo poo money for it" when you really have no business doing that work if you can't do it fast. It's not a dis on people who are slow painters, but if someone else can do a job that's 75% as good as yours in 25% of the time you aren't going to get hired a lot even though your work is better on paper.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Especially if you're just fixing models someone else has done work on. The new studio is pretty much stuck with them looking kinda sub par because BTP is lazy and so they didn't really think about color blocking a color scheme arrangement.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The most confusing thing about Shadowforge is that up until they sold off all the molds to Eureka it was owned by a single family. It must be really strange to have your family business be titty scorpions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Is it a big thing in historicals to have shared collections, or something?

For example, in wh40k, I don't want to play Eldar, so I don't collect them, and as a result...I never have to play Eldar? I really doubt there are any people who outright refuse to play a game if it means they have to be the Nazis so much as 'I have the option to not be the Nazis and as a result I will take that option'.

In general with most historical games that aren't Flames of War (or maybe Bolt Action depending on your area) the oft repeated advice is to own both sides of the conflict. Because it's rare to find someone who also owns a 15mm ECW army to fight yours but its not rare to find someone who would be interested in fighting that battle if you had the stuff for them to use.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

These are rad as hell.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

Yet the space marines had ELBOW DAGGERS. They way they're set up, he can never set his arms straight. Might be useful in a space moshpit, but really silly everywhere else.

This is canon in 40k for one chapter, I forget who they are. They have bone daggers coming out of their arms that they coat in metal.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

Ditto on the unpainted poo poo. Playing unpainted is like playing a video game without textures (that has happened a few times in the past). I don't like painting and I'm not good at it (yet?), but God-drat do I not want to play with unpainted minis. Painting might be an rear end to get into ("trimmed mold lines, basecoated, painted... what, highlights? Dry brushing? Is shading the same thing as washing? The hell is blending? What kind of sorcery is this?") and full of nasty surprises (so I wanted to paint some guys black...), but it's still better than the all plastic show.

Watched a Japanese 40K club play a few weeks ago. The Japanese, of course, have their stuff painted. The foreigners... all white Tau (one missing head...and arms) and an Eldar force that's clearly using non GW minis (judging by the color). Wasn't too pretty.

EDIT: that ork basilisk reminds me of the time I sprayed my Chimera Mica Red. That was a surprise.

Maybe if you only play one game you can get by with not having anything unpainted, but I play like 5-10 different minis games in your average month and I wouldn't get to play if I spent all my time painting.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Yeah, the funny thing is that the Butcher is genuinely well painted, but then someone looked at the base and said "well I'm out of modeling snow, let's just put on some white paint on. With a broom."
It's actually a basecoat in craft paint I do for all my minis I snow based before applying the water effects gel and snow flock. That pic is old too because I cleaned up the pants, skin and axe at some later date I don't remember.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

What's the basecoat for? Primer? Brightness? I can see tiny white borders on other bases, which doesn't help it.
I like the Pink Khador base flock, what's that? Crushed cork with "moss" mixed in?

Uh, this is going back a long rear end time since those Khador models were probably painted when they were new, so at least a decade ago if not slightly more. You're not seeing white on the edges, you're seeing glare from light bouncing off PVA glue, it's not noticeable in normal lighting. I think it's just normal historicals/rail road basing stuff that I bought at a hobby shop probably.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WhiteOutMouse posted:

A guy from my FLGS was approached(online?) by bluetable to paint for them. He would have to move from Tampa Florida to somewhere in Utah and get paid $10.00 an hour.

I don't know what kind of quality of life they assumed he had. Who the gently caress would accept that offer? Saddly I only heard this from the guy's friend. He was not at the tournament. I will ask him more details in the future.

Many of the local players look to him for painting. I'll t-image some of his recent uploads to facebook. He does not belong in this thread, just for context (though I bet some of you will hate the blood)

Eh the blood fits the army theme so it's OK. Plus people greatly overestimate how hard blood is to paint and you can use it to cover gently caress ups you don't want to go back and touch up or deal with. I'm halfway through a commissioned Orc force for Mordheim (using those big Reaper Orcs which are like a speed painters wet dream) and I will freely admit to doing a "cool theme" thing to save time while painting. Basically they were called the Bloodmaw Orcs and so I was like "how would you like them to have, you know, mouths full of blood?" and he was very excited by the prospect. What that means for me is that I get to not paint annoying teeth, lips and tongues which are finnicky and take lots of time.

What also is good for doing speed/commission painting that your buddy is good at but BTP is atrocious at is blocking off and arranging colors. Those Nurgle guys would like way better if they had taken the time to make the edges of the pads and some of the kneepads black to match the robes. Part of what makes their paint jobs come off as super duper bland is that they use these huge areas of fairly flat color and don't break them up with a contrasting color. The armor isn't bad, in fact its very decent but it looks far worse because it covers so much area and doesn't have much depth. They could have broken it up if they had done better work on the boils but they dropped the ball pretty loving hard there.

They also need someone to research some really cheaty tech for them to use. Weathering powder and wash are like the easiest poo poo to use and produce stunning results. If they had done all the black in dark grey and washed it with a thick black wash like the GW Nuln or SW Armor Wash it would look so much better and take about the same amount of time as the lazy half assed drybrushing they did. If they had run over those boils (in their current state no less) with some dark red or purple pigments they would also look pretty awesome, hell even if they had hit them with some light coats of GW's red wash it would have been better. This army also could have really used some blood effects. Not only are they piss easy, they could have just tossed them in places like the depths of the intestines or weeping from random sores and it would have looked better.

When I do speed painting on commission my general rule is:

Choose one small thing to do extra work on.
Choose one thing to be lazy with.
Choose one thing to cheat on (IE use tech that is easy but looks hard)

So for a Nurgle guy for instance I would probably do the armor as my "lazy" and airbrush down the base layer, airbrush a quick highlight and then wash them down with army painter. For my extra work I would probably do either the skin and bones and actually take time to do smooth blends. Then I'd cheat with the metal and guns and do either rusted silver or a bronze with verdigris since those produce a striking effect and have a reputation as being difficult while actually rust and verdigris are easier to paint than "clean" metal since you really don't have to do as much layering a blending.

And that's at like $1-3 a mini (depends on squad size), for BTP to put that out for like ten bucks a mini is shameful.

For reference this is the quality level you would get for that much money:

They aren't great but that's what an hour and a half of work does. Those are a little bit sloppy but they are personal stuff, if it was for someone else I wouldn't have let the paint on the loincloth slip by or the foot mold line, but I can't muster that many giveafucks about wanting to have a fourth painted Mordheim warband, if I wanted my warband to look good I'd play my Amazons or Cult that I sunk like 4-6 hours per figure into and generally wish I had my time back.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have to imagine that most miniture painting businesses are side things that people do to subsidize their hobby.

Most actual cost effective painting services are run out of game stores. So those guys are making OK money because they pay a lot less for the materials than other people. Plus in the case of a lot of those stores they are doing the painting and modelling during down time while working the floor and basically making bonus cash on top of their normal salary. Everyone else is making minimum wage or less. But, at least in my case, I'd much rather make ten bucks an hour in my underwear doing something I enjoy than working at a Wendy's.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's not an awful idea really it's just done poorly. You could probably make a pretty fun unit of Yeti's or whatever for Ogre Kingdoms by covering dudes in flock in a creative way.
example: http://www.coolminiornot.com/296806

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pyrolocutus posted:

I look forward to lawyers dueling over what constitutes a good paint job.

Actually in this case it would be pretty easy considering the numerous other painting studios that exist in the US and how easy it would be to get price quotes and cost estimates. Not to mention it would probably fall along the same lines as any bespoke specialty product, be it a painted miniature or a handmade wood table. If you ordered a custom suit from a professional tailor, and he was like "yeah it will be just as good as and in the same style as this Brooks Brothers suit of similar price" and then you got clothes with exposed stitching and a arm sewn on backwards you'd also be pissed.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Shadeoses posted:

Are those enormous flathead screw nipples?

They're to adjust the volume clearly: http://youtu.be/aUN4QhK_aX8

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

YF19pilot posted:

Build one, paint it solid red. Build another, paint it solid blue. What other colors were there?

EXCUSE ME, it was Orange and Blue.

And Yellow, Green and Black.

But really if you want the Advance Wars minis game you should play Dust Tactics since thats about as close as you're gonna get with the RPS style matchups and big square grid movement.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If I remember correctly Apex Guardsmen is actually a legal piece too. He's a 4th/5th ed Inquisitor with Carapace, LC's and a gun servitor. I think the picture originates from Warp.net or B&C but I don't remember, it's been around for a while at least.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ghetto wormhole posted:

there aren't any good parts of the CSA sorry

They had OK taste in guns I guess?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Most of these are creepy, but I think the peeping tom is kinda funny.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Lets not miss the awkward pedophilia overtones withe "couples" at the nude beach set.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Phildo posted:

I think he's flasbacking hard.
What poo poo did he see out there?

Bayonet charges, while not as common as we assume for the time period, were excessively brutal when they connected. It was a time period where most soldiers wore no body armor, had never used a melee weapon on foot and were wearing uniforms designed to march and not to dart around in hand to hand combat (with many notable exceptions but still) so it was basically groups of totally untrained guys mercilessly gutting each other with crude spears.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If they wanted that mini to be twenty times more creepy they should have made it exactly like it is now but with a male chest. Androgyny is always creepier than general sexual creepiness IMHO.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Reynold posted:

How large are these? Like, compared to Warhammer Fantasy's scale. It would be rad to pick up one of these and paint it up as a hero unit for my girl's army.

Heroic 32mm versus Heroic 28mm.
http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/5695/1027071/web-grand-mother-scale_900.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think I bought a pack of them waaaaaaaay back in order to convert my Slaanesh chaos lord for my old CSM. But bits order was strong then since she was made from the WHFB Slaanesh hero body and sword, the head sawed off of the SoB slave, one of the old metal CSM backpacks, the old metal Scout Bike stormbolter with the drum clip and then the slave girl sitting up behind her.

Bit's order was loving rad is I guess what I'm trying to say.