Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Direwolf posted:

That land raider is terrible but if you don't think that skull fortress with heavy bolters for eyes is the raddest most 40k thing you've ever seen I don't know what you're doing in this hobby.

:agreed:

Also, I could see the land raider looking good with a (competent) job of paint to make the skulls look more like they're properly embedded in / sculpted onto the hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Phoon posted:

If you removed the elf lady it would just be some guardsmen hanging out, one of them about to take a whizz

Which would actually be a perfectly reasonable slice of Guard life, even if the whiz thing is still weird to portray in a diorama (less actively squicky though).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Saw this in my local craigslist: A space marine halloween costume!

Only $1800!

That's... not horrible but very far from the good ones I've seen. In particular the look of the torso region and shoulderpads is off enough to kill it.

Still plenty of respect if I saw someone wearing it for halloween, but paying that much for it? Hahaha no.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

SRM posted:

Weeeeee

paging Moola

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gates Workshop

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

See, all of those are things I'd be perfectly happy to give a casual painter kudos for finishing and putting on the table.

As commission painting with pretensions of high quality? :frogout:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I can definitely see what I imagine everyone is talking about as far as the shortcomings of that Land Raider but it's still something I'd accept as a "I just painted my first tank to tabletop standards" model. A lot of the colors and edges need to be evened out but I'd still rather see it across the table than the THIN YOUR PAINTS crowd.

But then again, I am a solidly mediocre-to-adequate painter who hasn't ever painted any tanks himself.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The discussion about that Land Raider has made me want to finally start painting mine and see if I can do a better job than that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

I've thought about doing Space Marines in WWII US Army style, it would be super low effort. Everything Olive Green, with white stenciled stars and numbers.

I've always thought Raptors were supposed to be the US military Marines. Olive green (and/or camo colors), white eagle head insignia.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Making a fig almost entirely of power armor pauldrons is one of the more 40k things ever.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

No but you see, if I collect hundreds of toy soldiers representing the forces of Nazi Germany, but someone else finds that they personally would not want to, that means they're judging me and that makes me uncomfortable. And since I know I'm not doing anything wrong, it must be something wrong with them. How else can I resolve this cognitive dissonance?

I'm not sure at what point the conversation transitioned from people modeling anachronistic and gratuitous swastikas in 40K for no real reason to people who enthusiastically play Germans in historicals, and what side of that border each poster planted his or her banner on, so pardon me if I'm misinterpreting you or anyone else--but it seems like the tone here in the thread has come pretty close to calling badwrongthink on anybody who plays Waffen-SS (or whatever) without sufficient handwringing about it, which is a bit further beyond "find[ing] that they personally would not want to." It seems weird to me to have no idea why someone who wants to play the Nazis might feel judged.

(I have no intensely personal dog in this fight since I don't play historicals and don't play Nazis, crypto- or otherwise, in 40K. No, when my faction burns entire planetary populations alive, they do so in the name of freedom :devil:)

On that note, it's easy to understand the reason people resist the connection between fascist atrocity in 40K and historical fascist atrocity. Almost nobody in the game really wants to have to look in the mirror as far as the actual implications of their plastic mans ideology if it were transplanted into a sane universe. Nazism is/was real and concrete, but the Imperium is abstracted and over-the-top, and that gives us all some plausible deniability as it were.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Numlock posted:

Meanwhile I actually overheard some warhams guys talking about how painting was a waste of time because learning how to thin paints properly was too hard.

The funniest part is that the actual amount of paint thinning you have to do in order to not obliterate detail is very small in my experience. If you're using Reaper or Vallejo you can almost use it straight from the dropper bottle, and even the thicker GW pot paint is more a matter of 'wet your brush and swirl it around some' than 'painstakingly keep track of paint-to-water ratio.'

You almost have to be trying in order to get the sort of caked-on monstrosities people usually show as examples of THIN YOUR PAINTS.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

NGDBSS posted:

The details need a bit of work but the concept's sound, considering how many official Imperium (IG or Space Marine) vehicles are lumbering bricks anyway.

Yeah, that looks a lot better than it has any right to.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

As others have said and I've said in the past, those models probably look fine on the tabletop. If someone showed them to me as their own work, I'd be happy to give them props for playing it painted, and I'd dig playing against the army, probably.

Paying $700 for it though :aslol:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm honestly not sure which was the worst/funniest "wargame-related company basically shooting themselves in the foot over and over again" moment this year: BTP's customer service debacle, or MWG hitching their cart to BTP's horse in the wake of said debacle, and basically getting dragged right on down with 'em (in terms of losing what little respect/credibility they had). :laugh:

I'd go for the snarky option of "literally everything GW does," but frankly as much deserved hate as GW gets because they are so visible and had so far to fall, they are nowhere near the clown shoes of someone like BTP.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It looks like this (or the metal one maybe, idk).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Steed of Slaanesh.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

The mount isn't half bad. Base it a little better and you might have something.

Yeah, the beast legitimately looks like a good Nurgle paintjob or whatever, the rider is where it really falls off for me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JcDent posted:

Dreadnaught legs, and some plastic armor, then? Dread CCV would also work for spindly arm I think.

Well, the manufacturer has titiators in the range, but not this particular army.

Who is the manufacturer then?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If the whole "pro painting" shtick is something that actually works on anybody, ever, then I feel like someone who is capable of laying down clean basecoats and doing a dip could actually make a killing.

e: On eBay, I mean. I'm well aware that idiots pay BTP money for a comparable level of quality, but I'm wondering whether you can ever actually get someone to paint a markup on eBay for tabletop quality.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Pierzak posted:

:hollismason:

Ban MasterSlowPoke for account sharing

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JcDent posted:

Sexy miniatures, always bad, got it.

Well, should have got it three arguments ago.

And buying painting guides with so much free stuff on the internet, ugh.

It's almost as if creepiness is a continuum and is highly contextually subjective in any case, and that, while a woman portraying the painting of titty miniatures in a positive light might not be carte blanche to plop down an eldar rape diorama as part of deployment in a friendly pickup game, it does give us an additional data point in our ongoing efforts to figure out how to negotiate the complex interaction among all our human interests and desires.

Sorry, I had a sudden attack of nuance there, hope it wasn't too inappropriate for this thread

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I say we have them produce a plastic diorama of this (possibly :nws: ) and we'll call it even for now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

As a result of the old Malifaux Terror Tots sculpts, I can say that I have spent a nonzero amount of my life carefully painting OSL effects onto baby dicks.

I am not proud of this fact, but it exists.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Green Intern posted:

You can't tell, but he's actually spinning at high speed.

I hate to say post/avatar combo, but, post/avatar combo.

Another example of a paint job that wouldn't be laughed out of the oath thread or anything but that you probably shouldn't use to advertise your kickstarter

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I can't remember if this has shown up in this thread yet

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

goatface posted:

Strict religious upbringing leads to strong associations between visible flesh and sin.

edit - Basically, titty-warhams are their way of rebelling against their difficult childhood. Titty-hams are a way they can voice their true feelings. Tithams are a weapon in our ongoing war against the rise of modern Russian orthodoxy.

Tithms shall set Ukraine free

you know what would be a better rebellion against modern Russian orthodoxy? Massive gay hippie orgies.

Time to put up or shut up, Russian knockoff makers

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

SRM posted:

I use that dude's not-Obliterators. They're legit models.

Yeah, most of the non-cheesecake stuff from those dudes is really good. I painted some of their Egyptian terminators this month, really happy and probably gonna buy a second set at some point, along with maybe some power armor shoulderpads and and :retrogames:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I look at that and the first thing that comes to my mind is "why is that pose so rigid... like why would the tentacle be perfectly held in a regular-looking spiral, aligned exactly with the sagittal plane?"

It's possible that I pick unwise times and places to pause and apply critical thinking.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Krampus Grewcock posted:

So which one of you put this in the deep dream?

Truly it is rare that a scrunt is deemed worthy of induction into the ranks of the Space Wolves.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, for me the issue is that $60 is a shitload for me, right now, to spend in one place. Ignoring the fact that I do not actually need any more random minis right now, I'd probably be a lot more likely to take a dive on $20 for $30 worth of random minis than $60 for $90 worth.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JcDent posted:

What I learned from the thread is that there's basically a cottage industry of people catering to those with enough sense to want to convert Tauroxes (but not enough sense not to buy them).

Take it to the next level and buy a whole not-Taurox kit from a cottage industry.

http://puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=366

Taste and all that, but for my money it looks better, comes with multiple options, and manages to cost 1/3 less to boot! :toot:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

For me Obliterators (the "current" ones, not the older thing goatface posted) do just what they're supposed to, model-wise, and even those possessed aren't that bad. No defense of the others though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I never liked the organic chaosy look of the new oblits. I really wish they stuck with the style that goatface posted. Maybe FW will do them justice someday.

Fair enough, and I won't deny that it'd be awesome if FW did a visual variant based on retro models they way they've done with some other stuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

You shouldn't have dared to enter their magical realm.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

People always say that Super Clean will cause your fingers to look like they just opened the Ark of the Covenant or whatever, but I've never experienced anything like that, even without gloves. I wouldn't let my hand soak in it for a minute or anything like that, but how long do you really need to fish out your minis?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I wonder how all the sex horrors decided which one got to call itself "The Obscenity," was it just whatever one thought of it first?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

In terms of paint job (not sculpt), most of those would be upgrades over much of the poo poo I've seen on the table

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

No X-TIE, immersion ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Not a viking posted:

Dude, third ship from the left

That's not an X-TIE, an X-TIE is an X-Wing fuselage with TIE solar panels, not the other way around :goonsay:

The S-foils on a TIE ball design was referred to somewhere but they called it something different