Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
gently caress, forgot about the dog cancer std http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_transmissible_venereal_tumor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

dick chub
spank dots
blackface

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Orange Sunshine posted:

I don't think you guys appreciate the importance of raising awareness of diseases.

white as snow hair is in style this season I hear OP

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
"raise awareness"? im well aware that all those diseases exist but

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The Gay

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I have a two man team working on raising ebola awareness. While I ask people if they have donated to organizations fighting ebola my buddy approaches from the back and if they answer "no" he drops a bucket of pig blood and chicken gizzards on them.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

MeLKoR posted:

I have a two man team working on raising ebola awareness. While I ask people if they have donated to organizations fighting ebola my buddy approaches from the back and if they answer "no" he drops a bucket of pig blood and chicken gizzards on them.

you might be raising prion disease awareness albeit unknowingly

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel my awareness raising atm

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
did anyone say slacktivism yet

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Hysterical Dysentery

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Toxic megacolon

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The ice bucket challenge is the penance you have to pay for living in a world where major medical and scientific research has to be paid for with fundraising and charities. Calling other people shallow for doing it while you yourself are so shallow that you ignore this primal injustice yet get enraged at the ice bucket challenge because it clutters up your facebook feed horrors of horros is some mega loving :irony:

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Small-tits Larger-woman Syndrome

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The ice bucket challenge is the penance you have to pay for living in a world where major medical and scientific research has to be paid for with fundraising and charities. Calling other people shallow for doing it while you yourself are so shallow that you ignore this primal injustice yet get enraged at the ice bucket challenge because it clutters up your facebook feed horrors of horros is some mega loving :irony:

With 90% of that money not going to research and to organizational PR instead. Most research grants are funded by the NIH which was badly hosed by sequestration. Raising awareness does as much to cure a disease as a fart in the wind.

Munchausen syndrome by proxy

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
can we just put everyone with an infectious disease in death camps or islands and wipe them out?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Canadian

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
As long as there is a concerted effort to lower awareness of breast cancer so my entire being isn't engulfed in pink this October I'm fine with the rest.

Also: doesn't most of the money raised by these "awareness-raising" things go right back into the PR machine rather than research?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ghlbtsk posted:

As long as there is a concerted effort to lower awareness of breast cancer so my entire being isn't engulfed in pink this October I'm fine with the rest.

Also: doesn't most of the money raised by these "awareness-raising" things go right back into the PR machine rather than research?

of course if they cured it how would they make money dummy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Al Cowens posted:

Helvetica Scenario

I wouldn't worry too much, it's fortunately a very, very rare occurrence.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I am aware o f diseases now.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
cucksanity - I'm filled with it

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

TOILETLORD posted:

of course if they cured it how would they make money dummy.

:homebrew:Oh yeah! What was I thinking?:homebrew:

naem
May 29, 2011

Al Cowens posted:

Orthorexia

Is this where you refuse to eat orthopedic shoe inserts? because if so I have that

naem
May 29, 2011

Is that a bunch of tiny little derek jeters running around in your pubes

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
raise awareness by spreading them hth

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

naem posted:

Is that a bunch of tiny little derek jeters running around in your pubes

if that is ur interpretation, i say let it be so

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think what you're saying is that every disease should have its own challenge. Like, leprosy could have the Bucket of Live Crickets challenge, or tooth decay could have the Swimming Pool of Pudding challenge.

That way, every disease would get charity dollars, and not just ALS. This is a great idea. And whichever disease had the most creative people behind its challenges would be the most likely to get cured. So people with diseases, instead of laying around complaining and dying and such, would have a real incentive to get out there and do something about it.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

radical dick and soultits

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Hitleritis

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Harrower posted:

Hitleritis

Come on, guys, a lot of these aren't real diseases. You all need to take this seriously.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Orange Sunshine posted:

Come on, guys, a lot of these aren't real diseases. You all need to take this seriously.

hitleritis is an acute psychosis where you desperately seek the mass murder of jews. please don't invalidate us sufferers

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Explosive Chodes

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Autism

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

tell autists "I hope you get better and feel normal soon"

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 689 days!)

spastic colon

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 689 days!)

anybody else got the ibs

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If you'll allow me a seriouspost for a moment--

I suffer from kidney disease, specifically polycystic kidney disease. Where at a young age, as the name suggests, cysts started growing on my kidneys, due to a genetic fluke, forcing them to not work and cause all sorts of health problems. Oddly enough, this problem is also common in cats. Lots and lots of folk're in fairly lovely situations due to kidney failure. You COULD donate to the National Kidney Foundation to help...but you'd go much further by registering to be an organ donor. Please, give the gift of life.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Being a stupid idiot disease. The really insidious thing about this one is that not only is it 100% contagious, but it strikes when you are feeling most assured that you don't have it. At the very moment that you think you are being smart, cool, and possibly even a little badass, you're definitely entering stage III, are about to make one of the biggest stupid idiot decisions of your life, and everyone else can totally tell.

The only surefire preventions are 1. to be totally on guard against hubris at all times and thus a massive wimp loser life-hating coward or 2. just don't care so much that you roll with it when the dumb attacks come on.

Neither of these are very attractive alternatives, obviously. Even if you win, you still lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

You COULD donate to the National Kidney Foundation to help...but you'd go much further by registering to be an organ donor. Please, give the gift of life.

Isn't there some sort of bucket related activity I could do instead? :effort:

• Locked thread