Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jony ive aces posted:

sixcourse by jeff fatwood from snack overflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

jony ive aces posted:

dis ho by jeff fapwood from whack offerflow

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

SA is only good because people without $10 can;t get in

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

wait somehow i read this backwards and i thought he was saying people shouldn't say that, but what :psyduck:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bobbilljim posted:

rule 36 now applies sitewide

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i bet people on welfare can afford $10 to join this site i mean they all have tvs and fridges thanks to that sweet obama welfare gravy

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cold on a Cob posted:

i bet people on welfare can afford $10 to join this site i mean they all have tvs and fridges thanks to that sweet obama welfare gravy

living high on the hog with their non-spoiled food

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
in fact i think most of them hang out in e/n buying gaming computers and having cps take their kids away

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

in fact i think most of them hang out in e/n buying gaming computers and having cps take their kids away

lol

Apr 7, 2003

They're actually all in SAMart, buying piles of nerd poo poo on Tuesday and selling it all for pennies on the dollar to pay the bills or make rent on Friday.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

They're actually all in SAMart, buying piles of nerd poo poo on Tuesday and selling it all for pennies on the dollar to pay the bills or make rent on Friday.

what did these ppl do before the internet

Apr 7, 2003

theadder posted:

what did these ppl do before the internet

saved up for the cons or mail ordered poo poo from the back of Dragon

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

saved up for the cons or mail ordered poo poo from the back of Dragon

its nice that the internet so massively accelerates it

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Careful Drums posted:

did this actually happen? I would buy archives to read this

there's an imgur gallery of it

http://imgur.com/a/Ucp1T

why someone did this as opposed to mirroring the thread is beyond me, but there you go

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

poty posted:

i bet you can like posts and poo poo

same thing, old boy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol i forgot how abraham linksys spent so much effort trying to fellate fatwood

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raruler posted:

there's an imgur gallery of it

http://imgur.com/a/Ucp1T

why someone did this as opposed to mirroring the thread is beyond me, but there you go

welp still not buying archives then.

at first i genuinely thought y'all were ripping on discourse just for laffs but man he really is far up his own rear end :/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
iirc tef made a great post about how fatwood is a terrible programmer and he knows it but he's arrogant enough to think everyone should learn from him while he amateurishly tries to reinvent things like html sanitization instead of, you know, learning from people that actually know what they are doing

i commented on his blog once when he was loving up some really basic poo poo (how to implement encryption - and i mean how to use existing libraries correctly here) and then i never read any of his blog posts ever again because if you know less than me about coding (and i know basically poo poo all) you have no business telling people how to write code

actually i did read it one more time - when he plagiarized some of shanley's stuff because if there's one contributor the world of tech feminism needs it's a stupid fat white dude who makes lame rape jokes "ironically" on his twitter

he's a worthless piece of poo poo who's only legit contribution to the world was sorta fixing expertsexchange and it makes me sad that more people have probably read his blog than code complete where he stole his stupid blog title and avatar from

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
huh, tef described something really close to tumblr in that thread

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cold on a Cob posted:

iirc tef made a great post about how fatwood is a terrible programmer and he knows it but he's arrogant enough to think everyone should learn from him while he amateurishly tries to reinvent things like html sanitization instead of, you know, learning from people that actually know what they are doing

i commented on his blog once when he was loving up some really basic poo poo (how to implement encryption - and i mean how to use existing libraries correctly here) and then i never read any of his blog posts ever again because if you know less than me about coding (and i know basically poo poo all) you have no business telling people how to write code

actually i did read it one more time - when he plagiarized some of shanley's stuff because if there's one contributor the world of tech feminism needs it's a stupid fat white dude who makes lame rape jokes "ironically" on his twitter

he's a worthless piece of poo poo who's only legit contribution to the world was sorta fixing expertsexchange and it makes me sad that more people have probably read his blog than code complete where he stole his stupid blog title and avatar from

the only folks i've known who like his blog and see him as a smart guy have been terrible programmers (myself included)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

who registered snackoverflow.com :mad:

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

A good sign that someone is a giant rear end in a top hat is that they keep trying to reinvent the wheel. they do that because they think they know better than everyone else.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
http://blog.codinghorror.com/deadlocked/

jeff atwood, indoor enthusiast posted:

This deadlock perplexed me, on a couple levels.

How can a read be blocked by a write? What possible contention could there be from merely reading the data? It's as if one of the dining philosophers happened to glance over at another philosoper's plate, and the other philosopher, seeing this, screamed "meal viewing deadlock!" and quickly covered his plate with his hands. Yes, it's ridiculous. I don't want to eat your food -- I just want to look at it.

jeff atwood, folks

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

the gently caress? i mean leave it to fatwood to be that dumb/intentionally obtuse about a compsci 102 example.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

a good tef http://youtu.be/csyL9EC0S0c

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

bobbilljim posted:

more because its got 180k users and 20k bans, and the $10 makes the bans somewhat sticky

and still that ratio would have to rise way up before gbs/games/d&d were readable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
snackoverflow seems to work pretty well. I mean it's starting to get the Wikipedia disease of over-editing, but overall if you use google it will provide decent answers most of the time.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

snackoverflow seems to work pretty well. I mean it's starting to get the Wikipedia disease of over-editing, but overall if you use google it will provide decent answers most of the time.

yeah, it's usually pretty deece for getting quick answers to computer questions. not so good for... discourse

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this seesm like a better forum than discourse
http://microco.sm/

i don't know what the microcosm api is though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

compuserved posted:

yeah, it's usually pretty deece for getting quick answers to computer questions. not so good for... discourse

I used the hell out of it for Splunk issues but I sure as gently caress would never register or post on it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

stack overflow is a quicker way to get answers than the documentation or wikipedia so it is useful however if u did register and wanted to contribute u cant you have to get a certain number of meaningless internet points and little badges before you can, i dont know, comment on an answer

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

also it's now impossible to gte these points because some addicted idiotas will answwer all the questions before you can

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bobbilljim posted:

also it's now impossible to gte these points because some addicted idiotas will answwer all the questions before you can

the system works!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
stackoverflow is useful but the only way i've ever used it is through google. idk if the actual native interface is good and i don't give a poo poo because the only time i go on that website is when google has served it up to me as one of the top relevant hits for a particular error or problem i'm having

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
wait, yospos folks actually ask questions on stack overflow?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
nah it often comes up as first result if you google your code janitor problems

ahmeni posted:

I sure as gently caress would never register or post on it

it's still dumb how often the top google result will be full of replies sperging about the question not being asked in the proper way or whatever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

duckduckgo goes a step further and gives you the top answer on they own page, you dont even have to click through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

wait, yospos folks actually ask questions on stack overflow?

I have never asked a question on stack overflow. I often type my questions into google and end up there for the answer.

sometimes I'll answer questions on there when they are in an extremely narrow area of specialty that I happen to know about.

• Locked thread