Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

Color: Blue
Racial Effects
  • May buy up to two Technologies with one research action.
  • Start with their home system's Advanced Science square populated.
  • Initial Technology: Advanced Labs
  • Reputation Track: 3 Reputation/Treaty Spaces, 1 Treaty Space
  • Starting Storage: 2 Economy, 5 Research, 2 Production
  • Hydran Home System: Basic Economy Planet, Basic/Advanced Research Planet, Advanced Production Planet.
Comments
The Hydran are by far the most straight-forward race in the game to play, and arguably the best for new players, or even in general. Their hat is research, and they do it drat well. A lack of any Basic Production to start, however, means that they can end up not having a great deal of resources in the early game, and need to explore in order to get the room they need to really leverage their Advanced Labs, and research whatever they need to best profit from the situation they're in. As they're the simplest race for a new player to grasp, I'm restricting them to new players only.

I'm having a good chuckle at this. Last night I played a four-player game - me as Magellans, the game's owner (who has played once or twice more than me) as the Progress, and a complete newbie and a guy who had played once before as humans. The Progress came dead last on 19 points, having been brutally stomped on several occasions by one of the humans and never managing to score on the research tracks. (There was also a hilarious moment where the other human player, who had gone missile-happy, attacked me for control of 001 with all her fleet on the last turn only to watch me research Antimatter Cannon, Antimatter Splitter and Point Defence then upgrade my Dreadnaughts with Flux Shield. I love the expansion. :D)

By the way, you know that normally you don't choose your race until after the starting tech tiles are drawn, yes? This is especially important if someone takes the Eridani, who are heavily disadvantaged if certain techs are not available. If possible, I would suggest that you give each non-human player the option to flip to human after the starting draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread