Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Welcome to Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game: Online!

This will be a 6 7 player Pegasus and Daybreak game to Kobol.

Rules can be found here.
General BSG discussion thread is here.

Playing Guidelines: (Arkest's originally; variation is in bold.)
  • You must have PMs enabled to play.
  • You are expected to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. After 36 hours of inactivity, I may make your decision for you. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time, please tell us in the thread (or me by PM). If your absence will be longer than a couple days, please find a substitute for that time period. The time requirements will be relaxed on weekends and holidays. If there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed.
  • All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.
  • All game actions should be made in bold or via PM.
  • Do not edit your posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed.
  • Do not quote posts from more than one page back. The game is less fun if some players have perfect memories.
  • Do not quote anything from my PMs unless it's a card that's about to be public knowledge anyway: for example, a Crisis card you scouted and left on top just before your Crisis step, or the Destination you choose as Admiral. If in doubt, don't quote it and I can post it.
  • Respect the secrecy rules. Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ. In particular, you should only describe your contribution to a skill check as "low" or "high"; you may use "medium" only if you contribute more than 1 card.
  • If you count cards, consider that information as falling under the standard BSG secrecy rules. You may make general statements about Destiny such as "Destiny should be 3/4 positive" but not "Destiny is 2 POL, 1 TAC, and 1 PIL".
  • This is only my second time doing this; if you think you see something wrong, please yell at me so I can fix it quickly!

Conditional Orders (COs)
  • I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via PM, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" and a description of what the CO is for in the subject line.
  • I will assume COs accumulate unless you cancel them or obviously contradict them, they expire, or they are obviously no longer relevant (human actions after you reveal as a Cylon, for example).
  • Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act.
  • Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things for which I will not ask for interrupts (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency or Change of Plans.
    Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining.
    Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers.
    Evasive Maneuvers unless the viper is the last ship protecting a civilian.
    Strategic Planning or Evasive Maneuvers to help the Cylon cause.
    Calculations for any reason. (You must CO me for what you want to use it on, or I will always pass on it.)

• I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.
  • If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.
  • Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.
  • By default Raider Activations will be done in Sector order starting in 1 and ending in 6, and I will have Raiders target unmanned Vipers before Assault Raptors. If you want to change this for your turn, you must tell me before I do the Raider Activations.

House Rules
  • If you really, truly must play as Cain, I have a modified version (stolen from the Revelations expansion on BGG) I could try to make work. If I have to. The Characters reference page also contains this modified version.
  • By default, turn order will NOT be enforced on Skill Checks. Players may play cards in any order they choose. However, turn order will automatically be enforced in the following circumstances: if there is an Investigative Committee in play, activating the Admiral's Quarters, activating the Airlock, attempting to escape the Brig, or any Skill Check that would result in the immediate end of the game. Turn order will also be enforced by request of any player.
  • You must post in thread Play # when you play cards into a Skill Check.
  • Interrupt cards should be played as soon as possible; if an interrupt is played after other players have already played in, I will let them revise their contribution.
Other than that, we will be using the official FFG rules with clarifications found in the Unofficial FAQ on BoardGameGeek.

To sign up, just post "We'll sleep when we're dead!" Signups will close no sooner than 24 hours from now.

Max Peck fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Reference
Rather than throw a smaller-than-usual-but-still-huge block of text here for people to scroll through when they need to find something, I've broken these down into a series of off-site files in the hopes that they're easier to refer to. If there's a problem or you just hate this, please let me know.

Max Peck fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 29, 2014

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
We'll sleep when we're dead!

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

I'm already in another game if that influences who is picked :)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Really excited to try forums BSG!

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'll need to read up on Pegasus and Daybreak, but either way, We'll sleep when we're dead!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I'm reading the Daybreak rules now. This mutiny deck stuff looks really interesting but I have no idea how it actually plays out.

Will this game include a Cylon leader?

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
Since it's a 6 player game, I am assuming we'll have a CL.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
##We'll sleep when we're dead!

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, I'm reading the Daybreak rules now. This mutiny deck stuff looks really interesting but I have no idea how it actually plays out.

Will this game include a Cylon leader?

OhHiMaahk posted:

Since it's a 6 player game, I am assuming we'll have a CL.

During character selection, Cylon Leaders will be an option (and, more than likely, someone will pick one); if no one picks one, the Mutineer loyalty card will be shuffled into the loyalty deck instead.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
:munch:

In my opinion, a 6-player game is better with a Mutineer instead of a Cylon Leader.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

##We'll sleep when we're dead!

Sweet, thanks for running! Hopefully I'll make win the straw drawing for this one!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Right, well, with 7 signups from people not already in games (sorry Brony Hunter), I'm inclined to just cheat a little and make this a 7-player game instead of leaving someone out, if none of you mind. That'll mean we will have both a CL and a Mutineer.

Turn order will be:
  1. SadBag
  2. Propaganda Machine
  3. OhHiMaahk
  4. Servoret
  5. Bungeyjump
  6. TheParadigm
  7. DopeGhoti

SadBag, start us off by picking your character; everyone else, feel free to list preference orders or PM me elaborate COs or whatever.

colbamf
Jan 10, 2011
I will be a back up!

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
:dance: Sweet, I get to play! I'll have my preferences sent in shortly, Max.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
Haven't been a cylon leader with daybreak yet, lets go with...
##Pick Aaron Doral - POL variable draw

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

By CO, Propaganda Machine picks the original Gaius Baltar (a Political Leader), and OhHiMaahk picks the Daybreak version of Tom Zarek (a Military Leader).

Servoret, you're up, and you can pick a Pilot or a Support character.

Everyone (but SadBag), I will eventually need your opening draw of 3 cards from your chosen character's skill set; you can post them in-thread as you choose or CO them to me.

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
1 POL/1 LEA/1 TAC for Zarek

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

## Pick Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
Draw 2 TAC/1 PIL

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
##draw 1 POL/1 LEA/1 ENG

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

I guess we'll be using all the "You are not a Cylon" cards today.

By CO, Bungeyjump takes a Pilot too, the original Lee "Apollo" Adama. TheParadigm, you're up, and can take Political, Military, or Support.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

drat! character-swiped! Uh... lets see

Aaron doral, gaius baltar, daybreak zarek, Boomer, Lee.

##Gimme louis hoshi please, 2 lea/1 eng

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

And that leaves DopeGhoti, who can choose a Political Leader or a Support character.

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie
##Draw 2 LEA, 1 TAC

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My COs failed me; I'll have my pick in shortly.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Oh, while you're here, Bungeyjump, you get to choose whether you start in sector 5 or 6, and whether you're piloting a viper or an assault raptor.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
##Choose Ellen Tigh
##Draw 2 LEA / 1 POL

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Right, then, we've got a full crew! Starring:

SadBag as Aaron Doral drawing 1 POL, 1 TRE
Propaganda Machine as President Gaius Baltar drawing 1 POL, 1 LEA, 1 ENG
OhHiMaahk as Mutineer Tom Zarek drawing 1 POL, 1 LEA, 1 TAC
Servoret as Sharon "Boomer" Valerii drawing 2 TAC, 1 PIL
Bungeyjump as Lee "Apollo" Adama drawing 2 LEA, 1 TAC
TheParadigm as Admiral Louis Hoshi drawing 2 LEA, 1 ENG
DopeGhoti as Ellen Tigh drawing 2 LEA, 1 POL

Your hands will be sent out in a moment; they'll be contained in a Dropbox link, and the document at that link will be updated throughout the game (so you won't be getting a PM at the start of every turn, for example). If you have any problems with it, with the tech or just because you think I made a mistake, please let me know ASAP.

Some other game-starting housekeeping notes before I get you the turn 1.1 board:

Tom Zarek draws 2 Mutiny cards (for Disreputable plus Necessary Steps), and will choose to keep one and bury the other. Tom is also the Mutineer, and draws 2 more Mutiny cards and will keep one and bury one.

Apollo still needs to choose a starting sector and ship.

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie
##Starti In a viper, the sector further forwrd

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Alright, I think I've got everything sorted out; let's get going! I know we have some people new to Daybreak or to forums BSG in general, so please feel free to ask me questions as you need to. Remember, if something doesn't look right... it's probably my fault, not your understanding of the rules. Please point it out :)

Turn 1.1: Doral (SadBag) is the Current Player.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Max Peck posted:

I know we have some people new to Daybreak

That would be me!

as far as I understand the changes to the game from seeing; the main changes in layman's terms are:
The new treachery deck actually HAS teeth
Don't get two mutiny cards, or you get arrested
Assault raptors don't auto-dock on jump, if you want.
Colonial One is different, alternate-version characters mutually exclusive, and...
earth and Demetrius is a thing, but we're using Kobol so it doesn't matter.

Anything else I missed?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TheParadigm posted:

That would be me!

Colonial One is different
Anything else I missed?

Me too!

I think the Cylon locations are also different, specifically the Human Fleet location which allows the Cylon Leaders to Infiltrate the Human fleet (i. e. scamper about the Galactica, activating the locations in counterproductive ways).

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
Mutineer Zarek is bananas.

##Mutiny Cards Chosen

##Loyalty Confirmed

I would add "Change of Plans" to the "things you should expect from Daybreak" list. It is by far the most impactful of the new skill cards.

e:formatting issue

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

The new treachery deck actually HAS teeth

Note also that the way Reckless skill checks work changed as part of this: after resolving all the abilities in a Reckless check, the top card of the TRE deck is flipped. If it isn't a 0-strength card, nothing happens; if it is a 0-strength card, the next card is also flipped and both of their abilities are resolved (even if a copy of them had resolved in the check already).

Cylon Leaders are different, in that they get a set of four motives (two now, two at sleeper) and need to fulfill 3 out of 4 (and at least 2 for the winning faction) to win. The Cylon locations aren't much different from Pegasus, but the Human Fleet location is slightly changed (Cylon Leaders can't use it to draw outside their skill set), I imagine because of those motives.

Miracle tokens are technically a little different; there are a couple ways to regain your OPG and, if we were going to Earth, you could get an alternate way to spend them, too.

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
Max, could you add a list of mutiny cards to the miscellaneous drop file? It will probably be useful this game.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Ugh, I did say I was going to do that in the morning, didn't I. I've dumped them in quick, I'll make it look nicer and fix any problems after I've gotten some more sleep.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

##Move to Human Fleet
##Infiltrate, move to FTL.

I wanna go where the excitement is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

Excitement, he says. Sure, we have that.

Crisis!

Trial by Fire

Activate Raiders: The 3 raiders in sector 1 move to sector 2.
Setup: A basestar in 4, 2 heavy raiders in 1, 3 raiders in 1, a viper in 2, a civilian in 6.
Cavalry's Here: The human fleet gains an Assault Raptor. The current player places it in a space area with a viper launch icon and may immediately activate it. SadBag, let me know whether you want it in 5 or 6, and what you want to do with the activation if anything.

Turn 1.2: President Baltar (Propaganda Machine) is the Current Player.

President Baltar (Propaganda Machine) draws 2 POL, 1 LEA, 1 ENG.

• Locked thread