Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Going to Zagreb is a great way to get paid KHL money without having to live in Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Guignol posted:

Going to Zagreb is a great way to get paid KHL money without having to live in Russia
Their player budget is only around $5 million so the wages are in the same ballpark with Swiss/biggest Swedish teams (although taxation and living expenses are probably notably smaller).

There's huge difference between player budgets in KHL. Last season's data: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=70778607

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Kennel posted:

Their player budget is only around $5 million so the wages are in the same ballpark with Swiss/biggest Swedish teams (although taxation and living expenses are probably notably smaller).

There's huge difference between player budgets in KHL. Last season's data: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=70778607

Still, having been to Croatia and Russia, let's just say you take the Zagreb "hometown discount".

Nice building, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHL_Medve%C5%A1%C4%8Dak_Zagreb#mediaviewer/File:Medvescak_-_Arena_-_west_stand.jpg

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 16, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

Still, having been to Croatia and Russia, let's just say you take the Zagreb "hometown discount".

Nice building, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHL_Medve%C5%A1%C4%8Dak_Zagreb#mediaviewer/File:Medvescak_-_Arena_-_west_stand.jpg

looks kinda like nassau coliseum on the inside layout-wise, which is actually a really good thing.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

a false posted:

looks kinda like nassau coliseum on the inside layout-wise, which is actually a really good thing.

Let me take this opportunity to fluff my team's rink, the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, CA. It was designed to be a hockey-first venue. I'm really hopeful it will become an AHL barn soon; it averages 8000 people a game, behind only Hershey and Grand Rapids in all of minor league hockey attendance.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 16, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Bibeau

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Corey Pronman posted his first draft of top prospects for the upcoming draft, which is basically a good rough guide of people to pay attention to going forwards. The most important bit was, I think, this:

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order):

Sebastian Aho, LW, Karpat (Liiga)
Sebastian Aho, D, Skelleftea (SHL)
Paul Bittner, LW, Portland (WHL)
Gustaf Franzen, C, Kitchener (OHL)
Nikita Korostelev, RW, Sarnia (OHL)
Kirill Pilipenko, RW, HK MVD (MHL)
Parker Wotherspoon, D, Tri-City (WHL)

There are two different draft-eligible Sebastian Ahos this year. I thought it might be a typo, but there really are two of them.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I've had a few occasions to watch McDavid but since that link is behind a paywall: What aspects of McDavid's talent are generational? Does he "read the ice" like Gretzky? He will probably shame Kane in a puck handling video someday, that's for sure. He's certainly not going to throw his weight around much - though he might be a real late bloomer.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If you have insider, Pronman did a thorough profile earlier in the summer. This one paragraph gets most of it across:

quote:

At the recent evaluation camp held in Montreal for Canada’s World Junior Championship team, McDavid squared off against some of the world's best 18- and 19-year-old players. The 17-year-old McDavid was clearly the fastest player, the most skilled puck handler, the smartest player and one of the most hardworking players. In fact, you can hang "elite" or "generational" grades on most of the major categories used in scouting evaluations with Connor. To put that in context, I probably gave out around 10 or fewer "elite" grades on any particular skill in the entire previous draft class.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

I've had a few occasions to watch McDavid but since that link is behind a paywall: What aspects of McDavid's talent are generational? Does he "read the ice" like Gretzky? He will probably shame Kane in a puck handling video someday, that's for sure. He's certainly not going to throw his weight around much - though he might be a real late bloomer.

I've never been that high on him, but he's certainly smart, shifty and quick with great hockey iq. Then again he can lack originality (NHL defences will figure out his no look behind the back pass and cut across the crease mighty quick imo). Tavares was a far better player at the same age, McDavid's numbers aren't even in the same ballpark as his. The only thing McDavid has on JT is skating. He's got great hands in tight, but his stick handling in open ice is fairly average. He's nothing to write home about on the defensive size of things either, although in all fairness that's not his game.

McDavid will end up a first liner on pretty much any team in the league in a few years, but I doubt he touches 100pts in a season at the nhl level. He's massively overrated.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

There are two different draft-eligible Sebastian Ahos this year. I thought it might be a typo, but there really are two of them.

Yup, and this photo from the last U18 worlds owns:

Also, both players look to be reeeeally good. The Finnish Aho has really developed his skating and has had a great start to the Liiga this season.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I've never been that high on him, but he's certainly smart, shifty and quick with great hockey iq. Then again he can lack originality (NHL defences will figure out his no look behind the back pass and cut across the crease mighty quick imo). Tavares was a far better player at the same age, McDavid's numbers aren't even in the same ballpark as his. The only thing McDavid has on JT is skating. He's got great hands in tight, but his stick handling in open ice is fairly average. He's nothing to write home about on the defensive size of things either, although in all fairness that's not his game.

McDavid will end up a first liner on pretty much any team in the league in a few years, but I doubt he touches 100pts in a season at the nhl level. He's massively overrated.

I think McDavid is going to destroy the OHL this season. I'm a big fan of his game. He has elite level skating, hands, play making and vision. I'm not sure if he'll be a generational talent, but I'm sure he'll be a star.

He sorta reminds me of Forsberg.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I think McDavid is going to destroy the OHL this season.

I expect he will, I just see a player closer to Spezza than Crosby in terms of NHL impact.

Tavares was the last super hyped prospect, and while he's very good he's not going to be setting any records any time soon (he probably just makes it into the top-5 players in the league category). Tavares at the same point in his OHL season was fresh off a 134pt 72 goal campaign, was the CHL MPV and was already stagnating in the OHL. McDavid was third on his team in scoring and has no notable trophies to his name.

He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but Tavares was miles better at the same age and his NHL impact is far from legendary. To be quite honest I don't think McDavid is really all that much better than MacKinnon. They're both fast, smart centres with good shots and great playmaking ability. MacKinnon had a better CHL rookie season than McDavid (albeit at 9 months older), and had a similar PPG in his second CHL season (1.76PPG for McDavid, 1.70 PPG for MacKinnon). MacKinnon was incredibly young for his draft year, McDavid is a January birthday so middle of the pack. The age difference between their rookie seasons isn't enormous, and McDavid isn't exactly lightyears ahead of him.

Obviously time will tell and McDavid is the obvious 1st overall choice for me, but yeah I just don't see a superstar in the making. He's undoubtedly a great skater and a smart player who plays with a certain level of reckless abandon, but nothing he's doing is really that remarkable when compared to other highly touted prospects at the same age.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The world's best female goalkeeper Noora Räty played her first official men's game in Finland's 3rd tier league Suomi-Sarja. 30 saves and 5-1 win. Her plan is to get games in Mestis (2nd tier). It's a shame she's just 163cm (5'4").

It's the same league where Hayley Wickenheiser played bunch of games 10 years ago.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Was that really 10 years ago GOD DAMMIT I'M OLD

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Oil Kings beat Kootenay 4-2 in their banner-raising home opener

Oil Kings never left, baby

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

@BladesHockey 10m
Blades have traded F Nikita Scherbak to @WHLsilvertips for G Nik Amundrud, 1st & 2nd round picks > http://bit.ly/1rrI7ch #AWholeNewBlue

:( Bye by Scherby. Please score all of the goals on the 0-2 Winterhawks when you get back from camp.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
http://www.skellefteaaik.se/artikel/57655/

quote:

Schremp to Skellefteå AIK
Published: 2014-09-23 13:41

Skellefteå AIK has signed the American Center Rob Schremp on a one year contract.

Today it was announced that Rob Schremp will play for Skellefteå AIK the coming season. Something that pleases the general manager Lars Johansson, who has been looking to expand the squad.

- We are pleased that he wants to come to Skellefteå AIK. We wanted to supplement the squad with another player and he possesses many good qualities that we believe will enable him to fit in with us.

28-year-old Schremp has played in several different countries and leagues, even in SHL where he represented MODO 2011/2012 season with 41 (19+22) points. Moreover, he has 114 NHL games and 217 AHL games on his resume.

Schremp will join the squad on Thursday.

I'm not so sure about this signing as he doesn't seem that keen to backcheck and generally a quite lazy player. Considering the fast-paced hockey played in Skellefteå AIK I'm thinking he might not fit into the system that well but I'm hopeful. What kind of impression of him did you guys on the other side of the pond get of him before he left?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
After 11 games SKA St. Petersburg still has a perfect record and Kovalchuk is leading in points with 11+8. Fortunately they'll get their rear end kicked in the quarter finals, as always.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am one of the strange people that enjoy minor league hockey, especially since Seattle doesn't get a NHL team :/, I miss the old Pacific Coast League from when I was little, I loved getting child admission tickets from school and watching the Tacoma Saber Cats with my dad.

I have been watching the Seattle Kent Thunderbirds and have been constantly frustrated as they keep getting crushed by the Winterhawks, however this year we beat you 4-1 in Portland to open the season MWAHAHAHAH eat it Portland!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The Saskatoon Blades are not the same team we once loved

New coach/GM Bob Woods is not wasting any time on the team's second rebuild in 2 years.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Well their slogan this year IS "A Whole New Blue"... :suicide:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
DON'T YOU DARE CLOSE YOUR EYES

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Finnish Liiga just announced that KooKoo joins for the 2015-16 season and number of teams will increase to 15.

Unlike most European leagues, Liiga has been closed for several years although there has been some nominal qualification games for lower tier teams. After Jokerit left for KHL, Liiga got the first new team in nine years as Sport joined for this season. Now it looks like they are taking all relatively competent lower tier teams.

The big question is if there's enough quality players. The public opinion seems to prefer 12 or even 10 teams but that's not going to happen because Liiga is owned by the teams and they hate risks.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
It's cool to watch KooKoo and Sport get owned 1-6 in 80% of their games.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4kdwNll2HY

:stonk:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Golden Bears stomped Lethbridge 10-0 today

Final shots were 54-16 :stare:

AHL preseason started today Wednesday too! :toot:

fits fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 4, 2014

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

fits posted:

Golden Bears stomped Lethbridge 10-0 today

Final shots were 54-16 :stare:

AHL preseason started today Wednesday too! :toot:

That's one more goal than what Mount Royal scored on them in two games. That's insane.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
I don't think I've ever actually watched a hockey game, (of any category/division), let alone attend one in person. Until last night anyway. I was dragged along to the first Pre-Season game for Texas Stars last night by a relative who had won some tickets in a raffle. Holy crap, I had a blast! I didn't have a drat clue what the hell was going on, yet still enjoyed almost every minute of it. There was drama, suspense, a legit fight, everything I've heard that hockey has to offer.

Two things --

1 - Are there any good videos/documentaries that discuss hockey. While I'm specifically wanting to learn the rules and regs, I am not at all opposed to something that offers more about the history side of the sport either.

2 - I enjoyed it enough that I am SERIOUSLY considering buying either a full schedule or a 24-game pack of season tickets, (24 would give me enough for every Fri & Sat home game, Full would obviously include the mid-week games as well). Before I plop down that type of money though, can anyone provide any pros & cons to seat selection? I realize that it will be largely personal, but all I have to go on is where our comp seats were at, (which I thought were great). Seating chart for the home arena is below. We were in 121 up just 10 rows up from the glass. I like being in the bend, as I got to see plenty of slamming action, (including the helmets-thrown-off fist-fight that was in our corner), though I can see why folks would like being on the sides. I imagine you would get more of a complete picture of the entire arena on the side.

Based on availability, I am leaning towards sections 103/104/121, where they have some seats only 6-7 rows up from glass, (rows F-H, depending upon which section and whether it's an aisle seat or not). While I'd love glass seating, it's not happening on my budget, and these would get me pretty close. (I have a feeling I've already talked myself into this, haha).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Glass seats can be annoying at times when the play is at the other end - it can be difficult to see everything that is going on depending on the angle you are at in the corner. It can be fun to sit down there once or twice a season because you get a real experience of how fast things are happening out there, but you're better off over the course of the year saving the money and sitting higher up.

In a stadium like that there probably aren't any bad seats. You seem to have picked the end where Texas will be attacking twice, which is a smart move on your part - that's the end where most of the action will be happening because the Texas Stars are at the very top of that league when it comes to skill. You might want to get a seat on the aisle if you can in a perfect world.. I find that I prefer a seat at the aisle for the ease of access, but a lot of people find that annoying to let every guy in the row in and out all game so I guess that's up to preference.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Honestly, glass seating is nice to try some times (it gives you a much more accurate view of just how fast and big players are) there's a lot of times where you aren't able to see whats happening when the play is down at the other end of the ice. A few levels up in 120-121 or 103-104 is where I'd try to sit in that seating chart, it puts you in the zone where Texas attacks twice so hopefully you'll see them scoring a bunch of goals.

hockey documentary search on youtube returns a bunch of results, but I'm not sure how good any of them are. HBO put out a series called 24/7 over the last few years that had all-access coverage two teams in the weeks leading up to the biggest (in terms of publicity) game of the NHL's schedule, an outdoor game played on New Years Day called the Winter Classic that makes for some good viewing on the inside of teams. The debut episode of ESPN's 30 for 30 series called "King's Ransom" is about some guy named Wayne Gretzky getting traded to LA. There's a documentary called Red Army coming out next year that goes into the history of hockey in the Soviet Union (which was crazy) which has gotten good buzz from showings so far.

There's a thread here covering the basics of just how hockey is played, I have no idea if there is something similar in a video form, but feel free to ask questions.

If you like sports montages, Hockey Night In Canada does a lot of montage intros for its broadcasts. They're cutting back on them this year, though hopefully they don't go away entirely Here's an example one as a closing montage wrapping up the NHL's playoffs last year. If its fights you want to see, you should watch these two classics from two teams in the 90s who hated the poo poo out of each other while also being two of the best teams in the NHL.

Most of this is more NHL-related, but its a good introduction. The AHL is the NHL's top developmental league and you see a lot of things going between the two.

fits fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 5, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

For history, all of Hockey: A People's History is on youtube in all its trite, nationalistic glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlAaaCqEWw

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Madbullogna posted:

Two things --

1 - Are there any good videos/documentaries that discuss hockey. While I'm specifically wanting to learn the rules and regs, I am not at all opposed to something that offers more about the history side of the sport either.

1) Hockey 100 - A beginner's guide to hockey.

2) Here are some videos explaining some basics:
Basic Information
Offsides & Icing (Note, touch icing has been replaced by Hybrid Icing)
Penalties

Somebody save these for a new Hockey 101 OP

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

For history, all of Hockey: A People's History is on youtube in all its trite, nationalistic glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlAaaCqEWw

So awesome, so inspiring, so :canada:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Just for some information on the Texas Stars, too: They won the AHL's championship (Calder Cup) last year, then their head coach got hired in the NHL and they replaced him with Derek Laxdal, who coached the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL, Canadian Major Junior) to their championship (Ed Chynoweth Cup) as well as the Memorial Cup. He's real good as so is the Texas team

....:argh:

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Wow, thanks for all the feedback folks. Much appreciated. I just bought a ticket for Sunday's pre-season game so I have an 'excuse' to go back and talk to the season ticket sales manager again. Figure I can get there a bit early so he can help narrow down what's still available and what meets my needs. I foresee hockey potentially becoming a minor obsession for me if all games are as awesome as Friday night's was. I almost even bought a jersey while there, (and then I saw the price on licensed clothing, holy crap). Even a ballcap was 30 bucks, bastards.

(In other words, I'll probably get one within the first 2-3 games, hah).

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Glass seats rule, my seasons for the Blades are there, this is my 3rd season there, no regrets.

Stars related, one of my fav Blades (and later Huskie) of all time Derek Hulak is there so you should make a sign professing your love for him.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Madbullogna posted:

Wow, thanks for all the feedback folks. Much appreciated. I just bought a ticket for Sunday's pre-season game so I have an 'excuse' to go back and talk to the season ticket sales manager again. Figure I can get there a bit early so he can help narrow down what's still available and what meets my needs. I foresee hockey potentially becoming a minor obsession for me if all games are as awesome as Friday night's was. I almost even bought a jersey while there, (and then I saw the price on licensed clothing, holy crap). Even a ballcap was 30 bucks, bastards.

I'd like to know what you pay approximately per ticket for Texas tickets. Cedar Park/Austin area is probably a bit more expensive than here in Norfolk so I'm interested to see the comparisons. As far as where you want to sit, I think you might want to try a seat in section 105, there. I actually like sitting up behind the nets because I can see most of the rink and I'm a weirdo (also cheap). I agree with the whole glass thing. Once or twice is interesting but you really crane your neck the whole time looking down the other end of the ice.

AHL hockey is fun to watch. It's generally really fan friendly and full of weird promotions, like minor league baseball. You'll see a bunch of players shuttled between Cedar Park and Dallas and also Idaho, where the ECHL (lower league) team plays. You'll grow to hate some teams and enjoy games against others. You'll get invested in some third-line penalty killer with limited offensive upside who is at best two years from a call-up but you swear there's progress. It's gonna be great.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Madbullogna posted:

Well on Friday night the Texas Stars and their opposition the Oklahoma City Barons were actually using lineups composed mostly of lower league try out players and depth guys. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on tonight's game where they may have more of the quality in the game that won them the championship last year. I expect you may find that the game is even faster paced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

DOOMocrat posted:

Eisbaren fans keep that tempo going the whole game, wow. A metro German club loves bass, shock and awe there.

Going to one of their games in a few hours..should be fun.

• Locked thread