Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Heaf posted:

I'd like to know what you pay approximately per ticket for Texas tickets. Cedar Park/Austin area is probably a bit more expensive than here in Norfolk so I'm interested to see the comparisons......

No clue if this is good or bad, as I don't go to any sporting events. Pricing chart below. They used to charge an additional $10 at the venue for parking, but that has now been baked into the price of the seats.

For the seat selections I was looking at on Friday night, I would be in either the 'Executive' or the 'Luxury' category. If I made all 40 games, then the seats would be a savings of 6.50-7.50 over buying at individual gate pricing. If I go through with anything, I'm leaning towards my primary seat (ie; aisle if I can get it) being a 'Full Season' pass, and the second seat being a '24-Game' pass. That would ensure I always have a spot next to me for a random friend/family/coworker/hourly hooker on Friday and Saturday games, but wouldn't be paying to have it for random mid-week games. (That combo would give me 5 free tickets & 3 upgrade tickets to use). Apparently, as long as you notify them at least 24 hours in advance that you won't be attending a game you get an account credit for the seat(s). They open them up for gate sales, and you can then save/use your credit for additional tickets and/or upgrades when needed/avail.

Individual & Season Tickets -

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Madbullogna posted:

Just for comparison's sake, looking at the NY teams:

Adirondack- $370-$810, depending on where you sit. Cheapest seats are the top rows of the corner sections, most expensive seats are along the glass, and 3 sections right at center ice.

Albany- $540 behind the goals, $625 in the corners, $680 at center ice, $755 along the glass.

Binghamton- $515 behind the goals, $555 everywhere else.

Rochester- $222 for upper-deck seats behind the goals, $555 everywhere else.

Syracuse- $370 for stage seating, $520 for the upper levels, $560 for the lower levels, and $600 along the glass.

Utica- $424 upper-level top, $533 upper level, $635 lower level corners, $718 lower level center ice, $796 along the glass.

So, everything around here would be in the price range that you are looking at, though you would have to add in parking for all of them, and the cost difference between upstate New York and Texas. Even still, $2500 for minor league hockey season tickets is absurd.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
And we have our now-and-future reference picture for Connor McDavid:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I will post pics and videos when I get back to the states but the Eisbaren game was one of the best hockey games I ever attended.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Kwik posted:

Just for comparison's sake, looking at the NY teams:

Adirondack- $370-$810, depending on where you sit. Cheapest seats are the top rows of the corner sections, most expensive seats are along the glass, and 3 sections right at center ice.

Albany- $540 behind the goals, $625 in the corners, $680 at center ice, $755 along the glass.

Binghamton- $515 behind the goals, $555 everywhere else.

Rochester- $222 for upper-deck seats behind the goals, $555 everywhere else.

Syracuse- $370 for stage seating, $520 for the upper levels, $560 for the lower levels, and $600 along the glass.

Utica- $424 upper-level top, $533 upper level, $635 lower level corners, $718 lower level center ice, $796 along the glass.

So, everything around here would be in the price range that you are looking at, though you would have to add in parking for all of them, and the cost difference between upstate New York and Texas. Even still, $2500 for minor league hockey season tickets is absurd.

Norfolk has three tiers- Gold, Red, and White. The arena has a concourse with the Gold being below closer to the glass, Red being the sides above the concourse, and White being above and behind the nets. They are $600, $500, and $400 respectively. Single game tickets are $22, 19, 17, less $3 if you buy before gameday. Parking is $5 at the arena or $2 at the mall. Have to take into account it's an older arena, too. Texas prices seem pretty ridiculous.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Madbullogna posted:

drat. I mean I know Texas's are center-ice glass seats, but you could get decent DALLAS Stars tickets for 70 a pop.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's odd how the 1st row seats are so expensive in North America while in Finland they are often 50% cheaper than the 10th row etc.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Yea, there's no way in hell I'd pay for glass or club on a season plan, (unless I managed to triple my salary haha). At the arena tonight, and testing out these seats which are available for the season still. I'm assuming it's due to the railing, but so far I think I'll be able to live with it. We'll see post-game.

Pic below. Sorry if the sizing is off, on my mobile. I'll reduce it once I get home if it's all jacked up.

View from seats -

View of old woman (Hi ma!) showing seats and the railing. Railing appears to be right at eye level so it may involve some neck craning and stooping at times.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kennel posted:

It's odd how the 1st row seats are so expensive in North America while in Finland they are often 50% cheaper than the 10th row etc.

My thoughts exactly, although not many arenas here actually have true North American style glass seats that are right next to the glass.

Still, the first few rows tend to be cheaper here than seats where you actually can see the game properly. Which makes perfect sense to me.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

And we have our now-and-future reference picture for Connor McDavid:

future face of the NHL right there

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Welp, tonight's game was even more awesome than Friday's. I am officially hooked. Stars won it 6-1. I went into this not really sure if I wanted season tickets, as when my brother & I looked at doing it on Friday a snafu screwed it up. (The seats I was looking at were no longer avail and they didn't realize it). We were looking for two separate pairs of seats close together, which is obviously hard to do this 'late'. We both kind of decided it just wasn't meant to be. And then I went to tonight's game......

I now have those two seats that I posted above, woot! The aisle is for a full season, with the second seat only being for 24-games. I texted my brother before I officially did it but never heard back. (Do hockey seats destroy families? Haha).

I see myself reading and watching everything I can about this. Finally, a sport that has actually managed to draw me in.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Madbullogna posted:

Welp, tonight's game was even more awesome than Friday's. I am officially hooked. Stars won it 6-1. I went into this not really sure if I wanted season tickets, as when my brother & I looked at doing it on Friday a snafu screwed it up. (The seats I was looking at were no longer avail and they didn't realize it). We were looking for two separate pairs of seats close together, which is obviously hard to do this 'late'. We both kind of decided it just wasn't meant to be. And then I went to tonight's game......

I now have those two seats that I posted above, woot! The aisle is for a full season, with the second seat only being for 24-games. I texted my brother before I officially did it but never heard back. (Do hockey seats destroy families? Haha).

I see myself reading and watching everything I can about this. Finally, a sport that has actually managed to draw me in.

Awesome!

And FYI, I'm not sure about the Texas Stars' arrangement but AHL games are notoriously poorly televised. You should be able to catch all the away games on the radio, either over the air or online.

And as someone who first got into a sport by following a minor league team (a AAA baseball team), you might become a fan of the parent club too, since it's pretty drat cool when the players you've seen in the minor leagues get called up and go on to do well in the majors. If so, don't be afraid of the NHL threads. They're a lot busier than this one.

e: and I'd echo the suggestion to watch 24/7 Road to the Winter Classic. I'm not sure HOW though, without it being :filez:. It's on the HBO website but it won't let me access it but I'm Canadian so it could be a region thing. Right after the episodes air they've been on Youtube but they all seem to have been pulled by now. It's overdramatic but well done.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 6, 2014

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Barrie Colts are doing surprisingly well even with half the team being new guys. 3-1-1 to start. :toot:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Madbullogna posted:

The official team website will be a good resource for you then, as well as the blog Hundred Degree Hockey by Stephen Meserve. They'll have daily updates about all the Texas Stars news, and the official site will post interviews with players and coaches after the games and features on the team from time to time.

As others have mentioned the Texas Stars have a lot of really good players on their team that are ready to take the step and play top level pro hockey in the National Hockey League some time soon, and that means you might eventually end up watching some Dallas Stars hockey :)

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Heaf posted:

Norfolk has three tiers- Gold, Red, and White. The arena has a concourse with the Gold being below closer to the glass, Red being the sides above the concourse, and White being above and behind the nets. They are $600, $500, and $400 respectively. Single game tickets are $22, 19, 17, less $3 if you buy before gameday. Parking is $5 at the arena or $2 at the mall. Have to take into account it's an older arena, too. Texas prices seem pretty ridiculous.

Cost of living differences and all, the "value" tickets for Texas are pretty much in line, but those top line seats are terrible.

It may seem marginally more reasonable, I suppose, if it is your only option- I'll freely admit to being a bit spoiled for choice when it comes to live hockey, from my house Binghamton is 40 minutes away, Utica is 45, Syracuse is an hour and a half, Albany is 2 hours, and if you really want to stretch it, Rochester, Buffalo, Adirondack, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton are all around a 3 hour drive away, plus Hamilton is a half-hour away, and that means Colgate hockey. It will be a rare weekend in the season when ALL of those options are out of town. I go to more B-Sens games than anything else, and even though the ticket prices are starting to creep up a little, I can still get into the game, with pretty much my choice of seat, and cover parking, all for $25. If I was trying to do that in Austin, I'd be in the nosebleeds whenever I went, whereas I can get a seat for what is gonna be a drat good college hockey team this year in Colgate, spend a tenth of what the Texas Stars premium seats are, and be close enough to hear every profanity.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Starsfan posted:

The official team website will be a good resource for you then, as well as the blog Hundred Degree Hockey by Stephen Meserve. They'll have daily updates about all the Texas Stars news, and the official site will post interviews with players and coaches after the games and features on the team from time to time.

As others have mentioned the Texas Stars have a lot of really good players on their team that are ready to take the step and play top level pro hockey in the National Hockey League some time soon, and that means you might eventually end up watching some Dallas Stars hockey :)

Texas Stars hockey is more fun than it's ever been here lately, and even though they've won a championship you're still in on the ground floor of what should be a very fun few years. Go!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

gently caress YOU TEXAS

But seriously I go to lots of Barons games and we play you guys like 20 times a year. It is fun.

I've never been to the arena in Austin but if it is like the one in OKC the best way to go is to pay for the cheapest seats (Barons have $10 tickets) and then sit in the middle part of the upper section, which you can usually do because the upper section is both largely empty and not policed by ushers. It is basically the TV view and it is where the scouts sit which is cool because occasionally you see formerly famous hockey players like Ken Morrow.

Whenever I take new people to games I never sit on the glass because you can't see poo poo.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Madbullogna posted:

:words: CALDER CUP CHAMPION TEXAS STARS :words:

Hey there fellow Austinite! Glad you were able to experience a Texas Stars game. Like some other posters have mentioned, they've been a very exciting team for the past few years and even won the Calder Cup (AHL championship) last season. This will be the third season I've had a 12-game plan to the Stars and it is a great investment. I'm coming in the thread just a tad too late as it looks like you already got your seats but you definitely got some of the best seats in the house in my opinion. I sit over in 122, Row F on the aisle between 121 and 122 and it's great because you can watch everything set up in the offensive zone. As Starsfan mentioned, you'll also want to keep up with http://www.100degreehockey.com/ and/or follow him on Twitter. This Saturday night is the Cup banner raising and it should easily be a sellout. Plus the Iowa Wild are a semi-rival since they used to be located in Houston (and all things Houston suck).

If you really get the hockey bug and want to start playing it yourself, read up on SAS Hockey Player Thread and send me a PM or something and I can get you in contact with the leagues/learn-to-play here in Austin.

bewbies posted:

gently caress YOU TEXAS

gently caress OKLAHOMA!

7lip posted:

Glass seats rule, my seasons for the Blades are there, this is my 3rd season there, no regrets.

Stars related, one of my fav Blades (and later Huskie) of all time Derek Hulak is there so you should make a sign professing your love for him.

Glass seats are fun once or twice a season but I don't like having to watch 1/2 the game on the scoreboard. And thanks to your buddy Pleads, I now actively root for Hulak and Stransky.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
What is wrong with all your guys' necks, there is one corner I can't see, not half the ice lol.

I just think you're all scared of pucks and people blasting the glass but you won't admit it.

In other news now that he is free, Biznasty for coach of the Blades, Bob Woods is a loving bum.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

There is one less CHL to deal with: The Central Hockey League has ceased operations. Very sad, the CHL was my introduction to hockey in a vast many respects. The Allen Americans live on in the ECHL. The Texas Brahmas, heirs to my favorite minor league team ever the Texas Tornado, are dead.

:smith:

Edit: Wait nvm they just moved back to the NAHL and killed their CHL team yaaaaaaaay

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 7, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Meanwhile Europe's CHL group stage is almost finished. There's four games left tomorrow and those will decide 2 playoff teams but other 14 are already set.

Open spots:
Kärpät / Bílí Tygři Liberec (Liberec needs non-OT win against Kärpät)
Växjö Lakers/ Sparta Praha (Sparta needs non-OT win against Adler Mannheim)

Other playoff teams:
Vienna Capitals
Red Bull Salzburg
HIFK
JYP
Lukko
SaiPa
Tappara
TPS
Fribourg-Gottéron
Genève-Servette
Frölunda
Linköping
Luleå
Skellefteå AIK

Really strong effort from the Finnish teams, 6-7 out of 8 made it to the top-16.

Swedes (4-5 out of 8) and Austrians (2 out of 3) were good as well while Swiss (2 out of 6) and Czechs (0-2 out of 6) underperformed and Germans (win% 0.265) were destroyed. Norwegian Stavanger Oilers wasn't bad and just barely missed the playoffs.

The attendance numbers were quite weak but that was to be expected. The playoffs might gain some extra attention since it's not a single tournament any more. The first round draw will be held on this Friday.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Meet your seven new ECHL teams!

Allen Americans, Brampton Beast, Missouri Mavericks, Quad City Mallards, Rapid City Rush, Tulsa Oilers and Wichita Thunder

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

At least now I can stop being momentarily confused every time I see someone refer to the team in Brampton in the CHL.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Wait, HV71 missed the playoffs completely? That's a pretty huge fuckup on their part.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The quad city mallards better have a Charles Barkley night is all I'm saying.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Oh. And apparently if you were in the union and you had a CHL contract with a team that's now in the ECHL, you're an unrestricted free agent in the ECHL regardless of remaining term.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

DOOMocrat posted:

Oh. And apparently if you were in the union and you had a CHL contract with a team that's now in the ECHL, you're an unrestricted free agent in the ECHL regardless of remaining term.

The reasoning behind this is that the CHL and ECHL had different CBAs, though members of both leagues were part of the PHPA (AHL players are, as well). I'd be surprised to see a lot of CHL players going to ECHL teams, who already had somewhat full rosters. Affiliations will likely change in the future. Tampa weirdly was aligned with Brampton of the CHL and a joint partnership with Carolina with Florida of the ECHL. That will probably change. Right now, it's 28 teams for 30 NHL and AHL teams. Change is coming, I suppose.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Heaf posted:

The reasoning behind this is that the CHL and ECHL had different CBAs, though members of both leagues were part of the PHPA (AHL players are, as well). I'd be surprised to see a lot of CHL players going to ECHL teams, who already had somewhat full rosters. Affiliations will likely change in the future. Tampa weirdly was aligned with Brampton of the CHL and a joint partnership with Carolina with Florida of the ECHL. That will probably change. Right now, it's 28 teams for 30 NHL and AHL teams. Change is coming, I suppose.

Dallas has two now, being one of few NHL teams that kept a CHL affiliate between Allen and Idaho. Cutting out Idaho would put Dallas' entire prospect pool a four hour drive in any direction if they are out of Canadian junior so I bet they go and do that.

Is there room in the Every Coast Hockey League for COLTON YELLOW HORN? I hope not.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 8, 2014

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DOOMocrat posted:

Dallas has two now, being one of few NHL teams that kept a CHL affiliate between Allen and Idaho. Cutting out Idaho would put Dallas' entire prospect pool a four hour drive in any direction if they are out of Canadian junior so I bet they go and do that.

Actually Hundred Degree Hockey dude pointed out earlier today that Dallas has not been affiliated with the Allen Americans for some time now, our sole ECHL affiliate remains the Idaho Steelheads.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Starsfan posted:

Actually Hundred Degree Hockey dude pointed out earlier today that Dallas has not been affiliated with the Allen Americans for some time now, our sole ECHL affiliate remains the Idaho Steelheads.

What? I didn't even ponder the chance that could happen with the 1999 Boys Club running the show in Allen. Huh.

Still makes sense with as much as they harp on about Texas' relative distance.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Now that the tier system of AA-AAA-NHL is stabilized, we can finally start working on a relegation system that kicks NHL teams out of the league and promotes their AHL team if they can beat them in a playoff series. Welcome, Charlotte! Goodbye, Carolina!!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bring back the greenville grrrrrrowl :arghfist::(

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Guignol posted:

Now that the tier system of AA-AAA-NHL is stabilized, we can finally start working on a relegation system that kicks NHL teams out of the league and promotes their AHL team if they can beat them in a playoff series. Welcome, Charlotte! Goodbye, Carolina!!!!

Will the worst ECHL team get #1 draft pick?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
If someone can come up with a concise write-up of the downfall of the CHL including why it folded and what the outcome is, I will add it to the OP.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I only saw one Beast game last year (strangely it was the home opener) and it was pretty decent hockey. I think I might go to more now especially when the Solar Bears come to town.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Red Deer Rebels will host the 2016 Memorial Cup

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

fits posted:

Red Deer Rebels will host the 2016 Memorial Cup

how do they decide this every year? is it a random lottery?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

a false posted:

how do they decide this every year? is it a random lottery?

It rotates between the three leagues every year (2014 OHL London, 2015 QMJHL Quebec City, 2016 WHL Red Deer, 2017 OHL ???). I'm not 100% sure on the process but its not random. There's projections on how well a market will do hosting it before its awarded or something

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
It's a bid process like the World Juniors or any other major tournament. The Memmer rotates between the three leagues (W, O, Q) for hosts every year: 2014 was the OHL (London), 2015 is the QMJHL (Quebec), 2016 is the Dub's turn again. Teams within that year's league are the only ones that can bid on the Cup that year.

The Memorial Cup board of directors or whoever will accept the bids and, using the city's quality of facilities and housing, the population of the city, the on-ice ability of the host team itself, whether or not they're London, etc. as determination points, will decide who gets to host the Cup that year. Typically they just pick the richest and most popular team in the biggest arena available, but you'll get the occasional outlier like Brandon or Shawinigan, both of whom got Memmers in recent memory. London's hosted it twice in the last ten years, which is horseshit, and will probably get the next one depending on whether or not another OHL team can get their poo poo together.

This year's options were Vancouver and Red Deer and basically nobody else. Red Deer wanted it bad, while Vancouver was Vancouver and has the old Pacific Coliseum, so you can see why it was a tough choice.

Unfortunately, due to the strict needs of the Memorial Cup, there really aren't a lot of teams that can host the drat thing. The league would happily put it in Edmonton or Calgary, but as they share arenas with NHL teams, the CHL can't fully occupy their rinks for a full month in May just in case those teams make the playoffs. (As you know, that hasn't been a concern in the past ten years, but the NHL is weird like that.) You can't put it in the States for nationalistic reasons, so Erie , Plymouth and the whole American division are completely out of the question. You can't put it in a small town arena any more because of the expanding needs of the tournament, so small places like Prince Albert, Owen Sound or Rouyn-Norand are out. Where's that leave you? loving London, man. Or Quebec, which was a great choice but a little predictable. Or Saskatoon with our big, dead arena, or Vancouver with a shitton of bars next door holy gently caress why didn't they do it in Vancouver?

Red Deer's a good choice because it's a midsize arena halfway between two giant cities, meaning the whole place is going fill up and absolutely POP the whole time, particularly if Calgary or Edmonton manages to make it through to represent the WHL. Red Deer vs Calgary in the Memorial Cup final? gently caress me, that'd be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Guignol posted:

You can't put it in the States for nationalistic reasons, so Erie , Plymouth and the whole American division are completely out of the question. You can't put it in a small town arena any more because of the expanding needs of the tournament, so small places like Prince Albert, Owen Sound or Rouyn-Norand are out. Where's that leave you? loving London, man. Or Quebec, which was a great choice but a little predictable. Or Saskatoon with our big, dead arena, or Vancouver with a shitton of bars next door holy gently caress why didn't they do it in Vancouver?

Re: States, Seattle, Portland & Spokane have hosted the Memmer before. I was hoping Seattle/Everett would have gone in for it this time. Seattle's an up & coming team with some studs (Barzal). The Everett arena is nicer & bigger. Maybe not a joint bid but either one...

I do like the rotation and would be cool if the WHL would rotate it amongst its divisions as well. Central/BC/East/US...

• Locked thread